Sign in to follow this  
DianeH

Shawnee Columbus Day

We drove to Southern Illinois last Saturday for a week of great riding!

We started our vacation by stopping at McKinney's for some saddle shopping. My son picked out a nice HR roping saddle. It's a hard seat with roughout, and fits his little butt perfectly! It also fit his horse too [bat Eyelashes] Ricky was super nice, and gave Colton a lariat to go with his new saddle.

We did go back on Wednesday and bought a new Tucker for my husband, but I won't have any pictures due to an unfortunate accident [Question] We took a short 3 hour ride on Thursday afternoon to test out the new saddle, when we returned it happened....

My husband had put Doc in his pen to unsaddle him. Doc leaned down to see if he could find a bite to eat, and hit his head on a bolt at the bottom of the pen. That made him pop up his head, somehow the saddle bag caught on the pen, and he spooked and tore the back panel off of the saddle! Luckily, it wasn't the worst that could have happened, and the saddle is on it's way back to Tucker for repairs.

We stopped back at McKinney's yesterday drop it off, and I told Rick that I now needed a "cheap" saddle to use while this one is repaired. He points to a black Tucker on the sales floor and says, "take this one", I explain that it's a bit out of my price range for a spare saddle. He said, "no, I mean it, just take it and when yours comes in, send it back". Hmmm, pretty nice loaner huh?

But, it was a medium tree, so we just took back our original Tucker we traded in and are using it until the new one is fixed. That's what I mean by customer service, he could have sold me another, but instead gave me a loaner.

Ok, onto the pics!!

100_3335-1.jpg

100_3344-1.jpg

Here's Colton at Secret Canyon, you can see his rope and saddle here

100_3333-1.jpg

Doc, my saddle killer

100_3325.jpg

100_3328-1.jpg

100_3365-1.jpg

Edited by trails4me

100_3472.jpg

100_3469.jpg

100_3475.jpg

If you look close, you can see my husband's new saddle!! It's almost like mine, with different conchos. I should have taken a picture after the wreck!

100_3502.jpg

Me and Lucy

102_2189.jpg102_2193.jpg102_2194.jpg

Edited by trails4me

102_2266.jpg

Rimrock

102_2281.jpg

102_2286.jpg

102_2299.jpg

My friend Rhonda, Colton and myself at Rimrock (of course Emmy my dog is there!)

102_2305.jpg

I think I've posted too many, but I just love pictures! Hope you enjoy!

Here are a couple off the trail shots, of course Doc had to get hurt when he hit his head! His eye has a good cut above it, but should heal ok.

100_3507-1.jpg

102_2178.jpg

Looks like ya all had a wonderful time. I love the forest when the trees start turning their fall colors! ...and with all this rain we've had, the creeks are full.

I wish I could have made it to ride and camp with ya, but just too much going on. I will plan on it next year!

Edited by trailhoss2

It sure was beautiful, but I love every part of Southern Illinois.

The weather could have been better, but it could have been worse too [bat Eyelashes]

I was sure hoping to meet you, but I understand about getting things done and then having the puppies! Congrats, we'll need pictures you know :happy0203:

The farm up the road from Circle B had "tons" of dogs to say the least, sad most of them just ran on the roads. They were barking like crazy one night and the guy camped next to me thought they were coyotes! I'm sure there are plenty of those too, but I think it was the dog kennel up the road instead!

CathyJ stopped over to visit on Sunday, it was sure nice to meet her!!

I drove past her place on the way, very beautiful farm Cathy!!!

We'll have to shoot for next year on meeting! I've been thinking about April (spring break), but am afraid I'd be fighting weather again???

Well this year has been rainy every month! It's just been a wet year.

It would be great if you come next spring! It might be raining.. but we can wear rain coats.

I would have came if I hadn't had this new litter of puppies. ...or if they had been a little older.

I'm glad CathyJ was able to visit you!

Too bad about your husband's new saddle, but nice of McKinneys to let you use the old one til the new one is fixed. They're real good people to deal with.

The farm up the road from Circle B had "tons" of dogs to say the least, sad most of them just ran on the roads. They were barking like crazy one night and the guy camped next to me thought they were coyotes! I'm sure there are plenty of those too, but I think it was the dog kennel up the road instead!

CathyJ stopped over to visit on Sunday, it was sure nice to meet her!!

I drove past her place on the way, very beautiful farm Cathy!!!

We'll have to shoot for next year on meeting! I've been thinking about April (spring break), but am afraid I'd be fighting weather again???

Thanks for the compliment on our place, we really like living here.

Come on down next spring, it can't be any worse than this past week. I would have told you Oct was the best time to come, but I would have been wrong for this Oct. You never know about April.

OUCH on the saddle! Silly horse.

I bought a new saddle at Eminence last week and I have to ship it back to the manufacturer. I used it once and found that the faulty stitching on the back side of the fenders rubbed the skirting raw, I mean it really boogered it up. Looks like the setting on the sewing machine was not set right. I should have tried to find a saddle at McKinneys, but they just didn't have one I wanted at the time. And now I'm dealing with a store several hours away. I'll attach some pictures, it's a Hereford Tex Tan saddle, I have to ship it to Texas for repairs or replacement, not sure which they will do.

Regarding the dogs, we have 3 dog breeders on our road and the Circle B road. The ones close to Circle B do run loose and I've had to swerve to miss them several times, I drive slowly thru there, but they jump out of the weeds sometimes. The other breeders do not let their dogs run loose, but we have to listen to them bark most times, and I feel sorry for them because they are all kept in cages 24/7 with very little social interaction, very inhumane treatment IMO. There are over 50 dogs at one of the breeders and they can really be loud when they get going.

Here's the pics of the damage on my saddle.

sad1.jpg

sad2.jpg

sad3.jpg

Yes, Doc is a silly horse!! My husband is headed over to the vets now to get some antibotics. I should have had the vet come Thursday night, but Connie said it was 250.00 JUST FOR THE CALL! Sorry, but I can fix him for less than that! And, since he just trashed the saddle, my sympathies were hard to find [bat Eyelashes] My vet said he'd be fine, just got dirt in the wound now.

Your saddle shouldn't have done that either! Hereford is a good saddle though, they'll stand behind it.

I didn't want to sound like a stalker, but your farm is one of the prettiest on the road! LOVE that white fence, really classy place.

We stopped at Lucy's one day, I could live there too! Many nice horse places on that road, and soooo close to those great trails!

Wow Great pictures I'm up for more if you have them.LOL I love to see pictures of people trail riding. I guess I need to get rain gear to just ride here at home! This year has really been the pits for riding weather. Now its cold cold rain falling and I'm too much of a woss to be out in it unless I really have too. LOL Thanks for posting.

Ok, you asked for it!

We had some neighbors from Green Bay, nice folks, and they wished for a little better weather too!

Here's a few more (hope no repeats)

Just outside Hayes Canyon

100_3445.jpg

Indian Kitchen

100_3285.jpg

My husband and Doc (before the saddle accident)

100_3353.jpg

100_3363.jpg

Garden of the Gods, absolutely beautiful here

102_2255.jpg

Oh my gosh! It's so beautiful there. I love the photos of the slick rock creek, and the caves/overhands. It looks very mysterious and ethereal. I realize I must ride there...

I didn't want to sound like a stalker, but your farm is one of the prettiest on the road! LOVE that white fence, really classy place.

We stopped at Lucy's one day, I could live there too! Many nice horse places on that road, and soooo close to those great trails!

A stalker! That is too funny.

Actually our place looks pretty much like it did when we bought it, so we can't take credit for making it what it is. But one thing we did do is plant several trees and I surrounded the house with flowers and rock gardens.

Your pictures are very good. You've done a good job of capturing what the trails are really like and that is hard to do sometimes. I even saw some blue sky in the Indian Kitchen picture, you obviously went there before the rains set in.

Gorgeous pictures! Looks like a wonderful weekend to ride. You are so lucky to have such a beautiful place to go to, it looks really interesting! I always look forward to your pictures!

Wow. Absolutetly gorgeous! I've been wanting to ride the Shawnee for some time now. My mom grew up in that area. One of these days I'm going to kidnap her and take her riding there, a dream come true for the both of us!

Thank you for sharing pictures of your adventure [smiley Wavey]

Wow. Absolutetly gorgeous! I've been wanting to ride the Shawnee for some time now. My mom grew up in that area. One of these days I'm going to kidnap her and take her riding there, a dream come true for the both of us!

Thank you for sharing pictures of your adventure [smiley Wavey]

Oh, I love the area too, wish I could move there now.

Eddyville look out, I'm headed that way when I retire!

That's a great picture of Indian Kitchen. Wish I could have camped and rode with you.

My friends are all camping this weekend but I have other things going on so I don't get to go again.

Wow what a pretty place. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I loved them, never too many trail riding pictures in my opinion!

Too bad about the saddle. One thing I noticed is in the first group of pictures there are lots of highlines that are not very high and have saddled horses tied to them. I've seen a few wrecks with that combination. The horse walks under the highline, hooks the horn and then freaks and pulls the whole thing down, with the help of the other horses who don't know why the one is freaking out. I understand that is not what caused the saddle accident, but it is something to watch out for. I've always made sure the highline is way higher than the saddle horns or else I don't tie saddled horses to it. Just my opinion...

Anyhow thanks for sharing your trip.

I've seen a few wrecks ... the horse...freaks and pulls the whole thing down, with the help of the other horses who don't know why the one is freaking out.

On a campout, I crawled out of my sleeping bag one morning to find my horses wound up around a tree. I hadn't tied a good knot, they pulled one side of the highline down and then tried to escape, but ended up all going together in circles around the tree at the other end of the highline until they ran out of slack...and where they stood quietly waiting for...something else to happen.

Wow what a pretty place. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I loved them, never too many trail riding pictures in my opinion!

Too bad about the saddle. One thing I noticed is in the first group of pictures there are lots of highlines that are not very high and have saddled horses tied to them. I've seen a few wrecks with that combination. The horse walks under the highline, hooks the horn and then freaks and pulls the whole thing down, with the help of the other horses who don't know why the one is freaking out. I understand that is not what caused the saddle accident, but it is something to watch out for. I've always made sure the highline is way higher than the saddle horns or else I don't tie saddled horses to it. Just my opinion...

Anyhow thanks for sharing your trip.

I don't like tying to such a short line either, but a tied horse should just stand still anyway. Bandit was the only one that could have clipped the saddle horn, the others are higher. I was never much farther than 10 feet away, just in case [Crazy]

Those highlines are put up with towstraps, I'd like to meet the horse that could pull one down.

It's a lunch stop, you just tie up for a few minutes and move on.

It's an amazing area, you just can't believe such beauty is in Illinois.

Great pic's - Your horses are very purty! Oh I really want to get to Shawnee someday and I'm not that far away. Thanks for taking us on your ride

Thanks!!

It's heaven on earth, if you get a chance to ride in the forest, grab it!!!!

The riding is great from any campground you pick, they all have different points of interest to ride to.

[smiley Wavey]

I don't like tying to such a short line either, but a tied horse should just stand still anyway. Bandit was the only one that could have clipped the saddle horn, the others are higher. I was never much farther than 10 feet away, just in case [Crazy]

Those highlines are put up with towstraps, I'd like to meet the horse that could pull one down.

It's a lunch stop, you just tie up for a few minutes and move on.

It's an amazing area, you just can't believe such beauty is in Illinois.

Trails4me is right. The lines are very sturdy Some of those picket lines have been there for years.

They are just resting places along the trail. The horses are not left there alone or for long periods. Everyone is usually sitting around within a few feet of he horses. I've never seen one get caught up in the line or any accidents from them.

Trails... Your pictures are all very good. I also like the one's of your son at Jackson Hole. it's funny how you can see Indian Kitchen and Jackson Hole so many times and have and see lots of pictures but it's just so beautiful there that it's like seeing it for the first time ...everytime!

Edited by trailhoss2

Great pictures, Diane! I never get tired of looking at beautiful trail riding pictures. I don't know if I have ever seen fall pictures taken at Shawnee. I love the fall colors! You did a good photography job. Thanks for taking the time to share all of them with us.

Trails4me is right. The lines are very sturdy Some of those picket lines have been there for years.

They are just resting places along the trail. The horses are not left there alone or for long periods. Everyone is usually sitting around within a few feet of he horses. I've never seen one get caught up in the line or any accidents from them.

Trails... Your pictures are all very good. I also like the one's of your son at Jackson Hole. it's funny how you can see Indian Kitchen and Jackson Hole so many times and have and see lots of pictures but it's just so beautiful there that it's like seeing it for the first time ...everytime!

Thanks Trailhoss!

I only wish I could take better pictures, but that means a better camera [Crazy] With my laptop dying, guess a better camera will have to wait another year.

The highline just had a lowspot, here's Lucy on the same day at that stop. There were probably about 30 people stopped there for lunch, it's a popular spot.

100_3344-1.jpg

Thanks for the nice replies!

Mo qh rider:

I'm so glad you like the pictures!!! You always say such nice things, glad you enjoyed the "ride".

I think all the pictures are very good. Your Lucy reminds me a lot of my Shawnee.

She's the bay tobiano on the right side of the picture.

9day2009V.jpg