Sign in to follow this  
trailhoss2

Hitchin' Posts

We're going to build a couple of new Hitchin' rails. I've seen a couple made from actual trees that I like. I would like to see other's to get some ideas how I want mine. Does anyone have any pictures ?

My old one was made with 4 x 4 posts set into concrete 2 1/2 feet (or so) deep which worked well until a 4 yr old colt reared up and pulled the post out of the ground... concrete and all. It had been real rainy and ground was soft but this hitchin rail had been ther for several years and we'd never had anything like this to happen before.. but I want to build the new one's where this couldn't happen.

I need something sturdy, functional and nice looking.

I really don't want a steel pipe hitch rail.. I like the looks of the wood ones better but would liek to see how different one's are put together. I would like to see pictures of the steel pipe one's too.. I might see one I like.

Thanks!

Edited by trailhoss2

Unfortunately I don't have a pic but where we use to board outside of Bloomington, IL they had one nest to a concrete pad that was made of telephone pole. It was sunk way into the ground in concrete and the horizontal piece was bolted to the vertical pieces with pretty substatial carriage bolts and flat iron squares as washers.

ETA: currently mine is like your old one except it is made of landscape timbers intead of 4X4s

ETA#2: the good thing about the telephone pole one was that even if they did manage to get it up out of the ground they weren't going to drag it very far.

Edited by palomino_overo

I like using a solid steel welded post, 2-3 inchers are best, and you can actually fill the pipes with cement and add weight so they are strong.. but we burried ours about oh 4 foot down, and 4.5 foot up.. my favorite one was 6 foot wide, filled with cememt and 4.5 foot high.. took me 3 bags of cemement to fill the holes for the post ends.. but it was solidly welded at the cross section for the top rail..

had a horse try to pull it once and she wore herself out.. we had a heavy duty halter on her as she was a puller and we put the bungy cord lead rope on her and let her pull at it for a while.. when we were done with our chores she was done pulling.. never pulled again either..

but that is besides the point.. let me see if I can find one of the other ones, I know I dont have a picture of that one, but I might have others..

Here is one of the home made ones that a friend put in, I dont trust it for a horse who might pull but for a good quiet horse, ok I tollerate..

Picture053.jpg

This is my Favorite Hitching POST it is an old telephone pole that we burries and cemented 4 foot deep..

Picture022-1.jpg

And this is my favorite hitching RALE not the best pictures but they show what I mean This one is burried 4 foot deep with 200lbs of cement in the pipes and in the ground.. it is one of hte shorter ones, only 3.5 foot up, but it is strong and reliable..

100_5097.jpg

100_5090.jpg

Anyway I hope these help some..

Hubby made my from two railroad ties and a round fence post. He notched the ties and set the post in the notches and nailed them in. The ties are buried about 3 to 4 feet in the ground. Here are a couple of pictures of it .

You can see it behind Walker

WalkerandMeekie10-11-093.jpg

You can kind of see how it is tied in in this one.

ponysaddlebridleandbreastcollar.jpg

Good luck hope this helps in some way.

Edited by meekie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We have steel pipe, I just don't think I want a pipe one. I've had those before.

I have a bunch of old telephone poles. I get them ree from the phone company. I guess I could use those.

There's one down at an old fire tower in the Shawnee Forest that I like real well. I guess I need to go look at it real good again.

Meekie I like the square post. I could have my phone poles sawed into square posts. I have a friend who owns a saw mill. ...or find some RR ties.

Edited by trailhoss2

I looked through all of my photos and couldn't find one of our hitching posts at home. We have two, one inside of the dry lot and the other in front of the shed. The one in the dry lot is between two trees, using the trees as the side posts and then took 1/2 of a round 4" log and attached it to each tree. That one has been up 5 years without any issues.

The other hitching post my husband put up kinda for decoration but it occasionally gets used. If I recall right, it's made all out of 4" round posts. The sides are buried about 3-4 feet deep. The top rail is lag bolted on then he took rope and wrapped it around the poles (again for decoration, but it also serves the purpose of a secondary attachment). He put a couple rings on it for lead ropes that never get used. If it ever stops raining, I'll take some pics of them to share.

Kitten Kat.. What we are going to build is a hitching RAIL. I know I stated " hitching post" in the topic .... just my hillbilly way of talking I guess. However I do know the difference between a Rail and a Post. :winking:

Eeyore ..I'd love to see pictures.

We are actually using a picket line (high line) tied between two trees right now.

Edited by trailhoss2

I took pics of our hitching posts at home, but apparently when I thought I downloaded them I didn't and of course they aren't on my camera anymore, so I'll have to take new ones. For some ideas though, I have pics from some of the local parks we ride if that helps with giving some ideas.

This is what most of the camp sites at Wolf Creek State Park have for hitching posts.

HPIM0503.jpg

This was down at Greensfelder

HPIM0346.jpg

and at Ramsey State Park

HPIM0345.jpg

Hubby made my from two railroad ties and a round fence post. He notched the ties and set the post in the notches and nailed them in. The ties are buried about 3 to 4 feet in the ground. Here are a couple of pictures of it .

You can see it behind Walker

WalkerandMeekie10-11-093.jpg

You can kind of see how it is tied in in this one.

ponysaddlebridleandbreastcollar.jpg

Good luck hope this helps in some way.

Mine is very much like this one... a round post(6 inches in diameter) notched into the top of 2 railroad ties..with a 12 inch long bolt on both sides of the rail, going down at an angle into the railroad tie, on both ends. The railroad ties are buried about 4 feet deep..in rocky ground.. I have had some heavy horses, rear, pull back with all 4 feet dug into the ground and this one hasn't moved..

SmallerHitchingrail.jpg

Edited by Shani

This is what most of the camp sites at Wolf Creek State Park have for hitching posts.

HPIM0503.jpg

I would love to have a hitching post like this one, it has so many adavnces i have used one like this a couple times.

I was taking pictures today and remembered this post so took a few better pictures of my hitching post.

Hitchingrailside11-18-09.jpg

Hitchingrailend11-18-09.jpg

Hope this helps