bryanm17

Need Help Picking The Right Horse

hey guys/gals i am looking to buy a horse it will be my first horse and i dont know anything about it i am a heavy set guy and i want a horse that can handle that. i am 6ft 2in tall and about 270lbs what would be the best horse breed for me. i dont want to jump or anything i just want a horse i can ride around and have fun riding, no competitions.

can't beat ( litterly)a good "ol ranch 1/4 BOY! they make nice guys horses,cause they are mostly train'd By guys! THAT IS WHAT I PUT MY CITY-BOY HUBBY ON WHEN HE HAD NEVER EVEN SEEN A HORSES!TILL HIS 20'S there are LOTS! of DISPERSAL SALES RIGHT NOW! GOOD LUCK!

Hi Bryan,

First off welcome to HC.

JMO - Concentrate on finding a horse that is suited to your size and riding ability more than focusing

on a specific breed. The Quarter are a good place to look and even some of the lighter draft crosses. Lots of people prefer mules as well.

When you do find a horse you think you might like, invest in a pre-purchase exame with a vet. Call the local feed store, ask around at boarding stable and call a few for pricing. It differs from area to area. It may seem expensive but can save you big dollars and heartache.

<I don't think I've ever answered a thread in this category> [Crazy]

First of all..........How good of a rider are you? If you haven't taken any lessons you need to so you can learn horse care and how to properly mount and ride that horse at your weight.

I'd go for a Quarter/ Belgian cross or something similar. I had a 16 hand Percheron who could carry someone your size. But, don't go buying a horse without having lots of experience in caring for one and in riding properly.

A horse can safely carry 1/4 of his weight BUT you have to include the weight of the saddle. A big enough saddle for you will probably be 40 lbs. That brings you up to 310. So, You need a horse that weighs in over 1250lbs. You also must consider size of bone on that horse. Some big horses just don't have the short cannons and small bone you need in a horse that will keep him sound carrying you around.

thanks for all the help guys and yes i do know how to ride dont get me wrong im no expert by any strech of the mind but i know the basics pretty well but keep the advice coming i need all the knowledge i can get ahold of :smilie:

Since we do not know your experience; you'll get everything from assuming you know nothing to assuming you know and understand the things you do not ask.

There used to be a website called Horse 101. Not sure if it is still up but check Google. They gave great information for the first time horse owner. They even had a place to calculate your monthlly horse expenses based on area.

depending on how big you really are you probably would be best of with a 1/4 or 1/2 draft cross, crossed with quarter horses usually they are not extremely tall but they are very bulky and can handle alot of weight, and usually they have pretty calm temperments.

depending on how big you really are you probably would be best of with a 1/4 or 1/2 draft cross, crossed with quarter horses usually they are not extremely tall but they are very bulky and can handle alot of weight, and usually they have pretty calm temperments.

like i said im 6ft 2in tall about 270lbs and heavyset so i would probably need somthing pretty tall

I concur on the lessons first. find a local stable offering riding lessons, try different horses and the like to see if you even like riding. once you have been riding a few months, then your in a better position on getting a horse. personally a nice strapping tennesse walker is good, this breeder I knew had twh and spotted saddle horses and he rode them some of them seem kind of small to me but they handled him just fine,he was over 250 in weight. but he did have a nice big stapping fellow, I liked him but i wasn't looking to buy had my horse already.

by the way if you want to see people of different sizes riding different sizes of horses google on youtube, gaited horses, tennessee walkers on trail, whiteboy2, trail riding, especially note the ones that are about family reunions whre everyone is riding and messing with horses, some of those guys surly shouldn't be on those small horses! look at the side links too for the different videos you bounce around alot but see alot of horses and riders. I do like the one video, boot on no limit.

I found so many videos of people riding and parades and such you can get an idea of sizes and types of horses.

when you do decide on a horse make sure it is bombproof since your a newbie then after you gain experience then you can upgrade if your choose.

RRRRR

Byran

Hope you are still following this post.

I wanted to add an explaination to why everyone is so keen on lessons and having your level of riding evaluated.

Many first time buyer have only rental riding as experience. While this is not a bad thing it is usually not a great indicator of true riding or ground handling abilities. Finding a horse that matches your true experience level is equally as important as finding the right sized horse.

Most horse sales a final, so temperment of the hore, its health, and it ease of handling and riding are very important. Selling a horse is not an overnight thing and can drain your "new horse" fund with amazing speed.

hey guys/gals i am looking to buy a horse it will be my first horse and i dont know anything about it i am a heavy set guy and i want a horse that can handle that. i am 6ft 2in tall and about 270lbs what would be the best horse breed for me. i dont want to jump or anything i just want a horse i can ride around and have fun riding, no competitions.

can't beat ( litterly)a good "ol ranch 1/4 BOY! they make nice guys horses,cause they are mostly train'd By guys! THAT IS WHAT I PUT MY CITY-BOY HUBBY ON WHEN HE HAD NEVER EVEN SEEN A HORSES!TILL HIS 20'S there are LOTS! of DISPERSAL SALES RIGHT NOW! GOOD LUCK!

Hi Bryan,

First off welcome to HC.

JMO - Concentrate on finding a horse that is suited to your size and riding ability more than focusing

on a specific breed. The Quarter are a good place to look and even some of the lighter draft crosses. Lots of people prefer mules as well.

When you do find a horse you think you might like, invest in a pre-purchase exame with a vet. Call the local feed store, ask around at boarding stable and call a few for pricing. It differs from area to area. It may seem expensive but can save you big dollars and heartache.

<I don't think I've ever answered a thread in this category> [Crazy]

First of all..........How good of a rider are you? If you haven't taken any lessons you need to so you can learn horse care and how to properly mount and ride that horse at your weight.

I'd go for a Quarter/ Belgian cross or something similar. I had a 16 hand Percheron who could carry someone your size. But, don't go buying a horse without having lots of experience in caring for one and in riding properly.

A horse can safely carry 1/4 of his weight BUT you have to include the weight of the saddle. A big enough saddle for you will probably be 40 lbs. That brings you up to 310. So, You need a horse that weighs in over 1250lbs. You also must consider size of bone on that horse. Some big horses just don't have the short cannons and small bone you need in a horse that will keep him sound carrying you around.

Since we do not know your experience; you'll get everything from assuming you know nothing to assuming you know and understand the things you do not ask.

There used to be a website called Horse 101. Not sure if it is still up but check Google. They gave great information for the first time horse owner. They even had a place to calculate your monthlly horse expenses based on area.

like i said im 6ft 2in tall about 270lbs and heavyset so i would probably need somthing pretty tall

huge ditto to manes

She knows her stuff

I concur on the lessons first. find a local stable offering riding lessons, try different horses and the like to see if you even like riding. once you have been riding a few months, then your in a better position on getting a horse. personally a nice strapping tennesse walker is good, this breeder I knew had twh and spotted saddle horses and he rode them some of them seem kind of small to me but they handled him just fine,he was over 250 in weight. but he did have a nice big stapping fellow, I liked him but i wasn't looking to buy had my horse already.

by the way if you want to see people of different sizes riding different sizes of horses google on youtube, gaited horses, tennessee walkers on trail, whiteboy2, trail riding, especially note the ones that are about family reunions whre everyone is riding and messing with horses, some of those guys surly shouldn't be on those small horses! look at the side links too for the different videos you bounce around alot but see alot of horses and riders. I do like the one video, boot on no limit.

I found so many videos of people riding and parades and such you can get an idea of sizes and types of horses.

when you do decide on a horse make sure it is bombproof since your a newbie then after you gain experience then you can upgrade if your choose.

RRRRR

Byran

Hope you are still following this post.

I wanted to add an explaination to why everyone is so keen on lessons and having your level of riding evaluated.

Many first time buyer have only rental riding as experience. While this is not a bad thing it is usually not a great indicator of true riding or ground handling abilities. Finding a horse that matches your true experience level is equally as important as finding the right sized horse.

Most horse sales a final, so temperment of the hore, its health, and it ease of handling and riding are very important. Selling a horse is not an overnight thing and can drain your "new horse" fund with amazing speed.

thanks for all the help and advice guys it was very helpful and informative thank you. i just want to let all of you know that i did find a horse and we are curently very happy toghether his name is wrecks (rex) and he is 16.5 hands high and about 1350lbs and a querter horse, he's very muscler and healthy (had a pre-buy vet look over haha) but anyway i just want to thank all of you for your input and advice it worked out very well

Congratulations on your new horse!

We would love to see photos of when you get a chance.

Everyone has given great advice. Not much I can add. I like the horse you found. Has a nice expression. Good luck with him. (I hope he doesn't live up to his name -- Wrecks! Oh, my! LOL)

FYI -- No such thing as 16.5 hands.

There is 16hh, 16.1hh, 16.2hh, 16.3hh... then 17hh, etc. (a hand is 4 inches)

Did you mean 16 hands, 1/2 inch? :confused0024: