Sign in to follow this  
kdrown

Just The Mules

Well I tell ya what. I'm tired of having a horse that is gimpy off and on, more on tho than he is off, and I just can't seem to find any real reason for it. So I'm looking for something a little tougher. Maybe I baby my horse too much. I don't know. :confused0024: Maybe he needs his butt kicked by a lady mule. Since girl mules are not so pms-y like horses, maybe I could have a girl mule.

I'll have to find out the name of this dude and see if he has anything on hand. I'll call Ross and find out his name.

That is was thing that has been consistant with all of our mules. They don't get sick and other than Freckels being sore footed when we were trying to get him barefoot, nobody has been lame. I anxious to breed Sulima to the jack. Mules get their hardiness from the hybrid thing, but a tough mare should put even more into the mix. Sulima is 1/2 barb and she is one tough cookie, never gets tired, never quits, so that mule should sure enough be tough!

I really do think you would like a mule. They just have so much sense. We are constantly pulling mesquite thorns out of the horses in the spring when the mesquite beans are on, but the mules eat them too and they never get thorns.

There is a lot of websites for mules and mule breeder's. I google "mules" and get several pages. More than I thought there would be. Some of it is people shoes, but a lot of it is mules. I think that mules are steadily gianing in popularity, and for good reason. A rancher friend that we gather cows for several times a year, got a mule from my FIL and he has been riding his mule to gather cattle. The rancher has a bad back and he says that the mule is easier on him because it doesn't dance and jig, doesn't jump over stuff and is always ready to go. A good mule will catch you every time it sees you instead of the other way around. The herd is cool with them but they actually seem to like people better and are all easy to catch. There is always exceptions, Sarah likes people but is not so anxious to be caught. She will walk away if she sees the halter too soon and if you don't get her the first time, it could take several days to catch her! If you do find a mule, make sure that it is easy to catch 'cause they are harder to corner than a horse if they don't want to be caught.

I''m excited for you! [Yay]

Get to looking woman and see what is out there. Mules, like horses are cheap right now. We have seen some very broke, working ranch mules go for less than $500 at our local horse sale. Of course well bred, registered, well broke, working ranch horses are going for $300 or less, so the mules are still selling higher than horses for ranch work.

Funny you should ask that nick. I subscribe to Mules and More, a mule magazine and they have been running a story on a couple from Germany that came to the states, bought 2 mules, had them shipped to Germany, and what has happened since they got them! It has been really interesting. I can't remember where in Germany they are from, but it is a cool story.

Soooooo, maybe the answer is that you can't find a mule in Germany? I don't know why else they would have come to the states to get some.

gawd--now i'm getting tempted!! (where the heck do i find a mule in germany...)

Finding one close to here, could be a challenge as well. I know this guy has them, but I don't know if he has any he'd want to sell. I got a call in to Ross, so hopefully he returns my call. I can't for the life of me, remember this guys name. I only remember where he was from. I hope Ross knows his name. Otherwise I could be hooped.

I never see them for sale anywhere. I'll have to make some calls to the old fellas around here, and pick their brains for contacts.

Some random people that almost always have good mules for sale and are supportive of customers.

diamondcreekmules.com

HaleywoodsMuleFarm.com

mulemanharsha.com He trains and has his own line of tack too.

pairadicemules.com

Muleville.com is a mule classified web site

northwestmules.com

Some of these people will find you a mule to fit your requirements if they don't have one available.

Have fun looking, go explore the world of mules and be amazed at what you see!

Awesome pictures and stories with them!

I am learning a lot from this thread, carry on! :happy0203:

Mules are harder than heck to find around here, NY. I'd love to get one but just haven't had the luck of coming across one yet, that wasn't a mini.

I'm going to Calvary, Ga. Tomorrow for "MULE DAYS"~!!!! :yay::yay:

FloridaCowgirl is going to meet me there so we will have a thread on Mule days AND a BB meet~!! :yahoo:

I WILL be bringing my camera and get LOTS of pics~!! The memory holds 800. :winking: I am pretty sure that the lady I sold my Donkey, Eartha to will be there showing Eartha in halter. I can't wait to get there~!! I want to leave now and go camp out there so I don't miss anything~!!

I'll be taking Squeaky, my maintainance man too. He is now hooked on Equines and rode his first horse since he was a kid last month.

Mudzie, You get a mule and that mule will astound you with it's intelligence. Get one that will let you rub it's ears. They usually LOVE having their ears rubbed but some won't let you touch their ears. Millie goes into exstacy when you rub her ears. She closes her eyes, lowers her head and stretches her neck out almost to the ground. Mules are soooo cool~!!

Manes I am jealous! I haven't gotten to go to a mule days anywere yet! We had plans to go to Bishop, but my daughter and her high risk pregnancy were more important, so we did not go. There was a Muleshoe mule days close to us, but the birth of the baby trumped that one. now we are thinking about Ft. Worth, but no telling what will come up to keep us from that one!

Take LOTS of pics for us folks that are travel challenged!

I've been reading this thread, but haven't added anything because I felt like ya'll covered it pretty well. Haha.

Great pics, too!

I'd like to offer a couple links I had forgotten about with some good articles that touch on this stuff a little more in depth.

http://ruralheritage.com/mule_paddock/index.htm

http://www.backcountrymules.com/SatEvePostArticle.html

Good reading for anyone not familiar with mules.

All this talk of the long ears, makes me want to go see Murphy and give him a good ear scratchin this evening.

And feet mudder, make sure they will let their feet be handled nicely. Since it is such a trust issue, they can be really touchy about their feet!

My farrier, the one we use for emergencies, not hubby, won't shoe mules as a rule but he likes ours and doesn't mind trimming them. Hubby has even let him shoe Freckels twice and the Farrier said he felt honored, but was scared that hubby wouldn't like the job he did. :rolleye0014:

I suppose that some people only use mules to pack and that is the only time they get used. We get a lot of strange looks when we are riding the mules and packing on the horses! :confused0024:

Oh and some mules have hip joints more like a Donkey. On those, it's best to pull a back leg forward first, then bring it straight back and clean it. It's more comfortable for the mule than if you bring it up and right back. It's also easier to pick up the foot with you by the mule's barrel grabbing the mule's leg by the cannon. If he is going to pull away or kick out, you are out of range.

I find my mule takes a bit longer to pick up her foot after I ask than the horses do. You have to be a bit more patient while the mule decides what you're asking. They don't automatically react, like a horse, and jerk the foot off the ground; they think about it first.

We gotta be careful here manes, don't wnat to scare her off!

Ours, for the most part, are better than the horses with feet. They will lift them as soon as they figure out that your intention is to pick up that foot. Some of the horses are that way too. Maybe that is more because my hubby demands that they be good with feet sine he is the one that does most of the trimming/shoeing.

You can't cut them any slack about a response. If you want a quick response, then that is what you have to teach. Definately patience is in order when teaching them, but once they figure out what you want game on.

SpacyTracy-I meant to address this ealier with you and got sidetracked big time!

I am glad that you think that Snow and Smokey are cute, but trust me, you don't want them.

No really, you don't want them!

They luff me and would pine away if I did not see them everyday..I mean if they did not see me :happy0203:

Thanks Scorpion! We, manes and I, are convincing mudder that she wants a mule! Want to help?

I need another subject topic/question to answer!

Anyone?

I don't know if I am allowed to post this, so if I'm not please let me know. But here goes... A lady had contacted me today regarding a female mule she needs to rehome for free. She emailed me pictures and everything, and I have to say she's a beauty :) I don't think I can take her, but I'd be willing to take her if someone from HC is interested in her. Not trying to Hijack anyone's thread here, but if you are around the Oklahoma area or would like to see a picture of her just send me a PM. Thanks!

ETA: This mule is quite young, and hasn't been worked with a whole lot. She was born to a large pony mare as a "surprise" pregnancy. Meaning - when they bought the mare they did not know she was already pregnant. Apparently the mare who had her is boarded at a training facility, and now that the baby has grown to almost the size of the mare they are charging board for the baby as well. The owner doesn't want this board payment, so is actively searching for a new home for the baby.

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

Tonight, the sunset was really pinkish and orangey. Very firey looking. When I went out to fill Millie's water up, here's the picture I got.

She looks much better with her mane and forelock afro trimmed off.

millieandstuff009.jpg

I inverted the colors on PB and you can really see her build much better in this pic.

millieandstuff009-1.jpg

Mules can carry a bigger person for their size than a horse can. Millie is only about 13h. I have never actually measured her. But she can carry a 200lb man + saddle with no problem.

Rollin thanks for the offer but OK is a long way from the snowman cemetary where the mule needs to go and she wants a big mule! I will ask around about it though!

Cool pics manes! Millie is so pretty.

Mules are way strong, probably 1/2 again as strong as a comparable horse. Smokey only weighs about 400 lbs, maybe, and he dragged my 200 lb hubby and my FIL all over our place the 1st time we tried to bathe him. I think he was afraid he would shrink if he got wet!

Most mules will outwalk most horses too. I would put Buggs up against any animal for an all day walk, I know she can carry 200lbs 9mph for twelve miles without stopping on flat ground. She can't carry the gait that makes her walk so fast over rough terrain, but on flat ground, watch out!

The last time my FIL packed into the Pecos wilderness, the mules carried 350 lbs each. Dad sid it was hard to keep the packs balanced, but the mules had nooooo problem with the weight. The Pecos is some rough country to be dragging 350 lbs of deadwieght around in. These mules are all around 14hh but are heavy, stocky animals.

When I and my 3 girls all rode Freckels at the same time, I bet we were 400 lbs together. He never blinked, just went on down the road. He's a bigger than your millie, about 14.2hh and 1000lbs.

Did I tell you he is gaited? Smoothest walk you will ever ride! He paces, fast and all day long if we let him.

We have some visitors coming tomorrow and plan to give their kids wagon and cart rides. I will get pics!

Yeah, when you get a mule who walks right out you can keep up with gaited horses.

At the clinic I took Millie to, the trainer, Buck rode his QH and ponied Mille around the arena for a few turns. ............Millie walked while his QH trotted~!!

When we trail rode, she was just walking and kept passing everyone, so when we got out front too far, I'd turn her, wait for the rest to get on by then take up the rear. Before long, there we were again, out front.

When they want to walk, they don't like to poke along. Ours get mad when they get held back or have to wait.

Millie is very good about waiting for the rest and she doesn't mind being at the end. She just covers way more ground than a horse does at a walk. :confused0024: She can't help it. I love her walk and her widdle trot is so cute. Her lope is so neat, you don't know you are loping.

She rolled back with me the other day and jumped out into a lope. :grin:

I headed her toward the back gate which leads into an area we haven't cleared yet. She walked on up and when she got three feet from the gate, she raised her head, put her ears up and sniffed. Then she shifted her weight back onto her haunches, rolled back and loped off a couple steps before it even hit me what was going on~!! :twitch: I pulled her up right away, she listened very well, and took her back closer but she wouldn't go all the way up to the gate.

Today, Junior went hunting down there. Guess what he found.

A decomposing deer not 50 feet past that gate. Someone, evidently didn't get a good kill shot on that deer and he ran off onto my property and died. It's muzzle loader season.

She must have smelled it and didn't want to go out there. I had no intention of going out there, I just wanted to look from a higher vantage point. :grin:

Ya gotta listen when an otherwise well behaved mule doesn't want to go somewhere. There is almost always a reason!

We have quite a few rattlesnakes here and the horses will walk right over one, but not the mules. We were riding with some friends once and we heard a rattler. There were 6 of us and we couls not tell where the snake was so hubby had us all stop so we could find out where it was and go around. The woman that was riding Freckels was having a hard time getting him to stand still and about the time we realized why, the snake struck at his hind leg! He kicked that snake and laid it out! I don't think a horse would have been able to do that since they can't see behind them that well. Freckels kicked the snake and then quieted down and stood there looking a hubby like, "What, lets move already".

OK, so here are some more pics of the mules at work. This is what it is all about as far as we are concerned!

I work with a woman that has a 6 month old and she brought her sister, BIL and their 2 girls to our house to see the animals. The older girl (she is 3) has been planning to see her Aunties horses for weeks. She doesn't understand that the horses are not her aunts, but who cares?

Anyway, this is how it went:

Introductions were made.

Meeting Freckels

100_1650.jpg

Brownie

100_1652.jpg

Sarah

100_1657.jpg

Snow

100_1654.jpg

Smokey

100_1655.jpg

Then we hitched up the wagon and took them for a ride. Hubby and my daughter rode along on Freckels and Saraha.

100_1661.jpg

We went to the windmill trying to find the herd so the girls could see the foals. Hubby and daughter had to cool off in the pond.

100_1664.jpg

100_1665.jpg

At this point, the girls decided that they wanted to ride the mules instead of in the wagon.

The toddler got on with hubby

100_1666.jpg

The 3yr old with my daughter

100_1667.jpg

The rode for quite a while like that and at one point the girl/s mom asked if they were having fun and she told her mom that Sarah was "a fine animal!". She was so serious and it was just so cute!

So the moral of the story is....

Get yourself a "fine" mule and it will never do you wrong!

The mues were great and on their best behavior. They always seem to know how to act when we have little kids around them and are so careful.

Hubby had to show off a little for the "crowd"!

100_1671.jpg

Awwwww! I thought I had something going here and nobody has posted for two days! [Me Cry]

I told a story with a moral and everything!