JGibbs0908

Daughters Pony Colicing, Please Help

*cross post*My daughters 6 year old pony is sick. Yesterday I noticed her laying down in the pasture and acting lethargic, I brought her to the house for a closer look. She was disinterested in food and wouldn't drink, gums were pale. Called the vet, he came out and gave her a shot of banamine and oiled her up. Said guts sounds and heart-rate were good. She pooped once. This morning she still hasn't pooped again and is still not acting herself. I gave her a second shot on banamine and me and my daughter got her out and walked her around a bit. She burped and it had the most rancid smell imaginable. I called the vet again and he said if things weren't moving by noon we may have to oil her again. My question is, is there anything I can do at this point? I hate seeing her suffer. She hasn't drank any water since last night and I don't know if I should get some electrolytes or maybe some probiotics instead? Is there anything I can do to help her go potty?

That thought crossed my mind, I have a trailer but I cant hook it up right now cause hubs parked it in soft dirt and the jack sank about 8 inches down [Duh] . It is a huge lead sled and probably wouldn't even notice a five hundred pound pony in the rear but I'm scared to chance it.

The one time my old horse colic'd and was oiled. It did take a day or so for him to perk back up to his normal self.

I would do whatever it takes for her to drink. And all I have to do is act like I'm loading mine in a trailer and they poop before they get in it.

Maybe this will help you some??

I called the vet back out. I'm a nervous mommy and this pony is my daughters world. My daughter has the H1N1 virus and has been home watching this, she is beyond distraught. Please pray for her pony (If ur into that)

Be very careful about giving the banamine injections IM. It can cause clostridial myonecrosis. I would give the injectible banamine orally if needed.

Keep her moving.... If you are tired of hand-walking her, I would suggest lunging her for a little while. If she does not have an impaction, the lunging will "get things moving". Lunging her will also not afford her any opportunities to lay down and roll. I'm not saying you should lunge her strenuously - just a brisk walk/trot UNTIL THE VET GETS THERE.

Oh and I forgot to ask: How old is this pony?

Edited by Rollin_after_a_bath

Be very careful about giving the banamine injections IM. It can cause clostridial myonecrosis. I would give the injectible banamine orally if needed.

I only gave the second shot per the vets orders, I dont even know what clostridial myonecrosis is but it doesn't sound good. She now has some green discharge coming from her nose, just a little. Doesn't look like infection type snot but more like grass and their isn't much, not like choking. I don't know? Vet said he would be back around noon.

Keep her moving.... If you are tired of hand-walking her, I would suggest lunging her for a little while. If she does not have an impaction, the lunging will "get things moving". Lunging her will also not afford her any opportunities to lay down and roll. I'm not saying you should lunge her strenuously - just a brisk walk/trot UNTIL THE VET GETS THERE.

Oh and I forgot to ask: How old is this pony?

She is 6. She is not trying to lay down or roll though she was last night. She is incredibly lazy and just wants to stand around.

She is 6. She is not trying to lay down or roll though she was last night. She is incredibly lazy and just wants to stand around.
Oh okay I'm sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant your daughter was 6 LOL! But regardless, please get the horse moving immediately. Don't allow her to be lazy, especially now. Lunge her and lunge her and lunge her until the vet arrives. If the horse needs to "rest" she can do so while walking in a circle around you. Basically - if the horse is moving then so is everything else to an extent.

I posted on the health board to for you. [Huggy] [Angel]

You need to keep the pony moving and walking. Movement can help the gut and oil move through and unstuck a blockage. The best thing for pony right now is a lot of hand walking. This also prevents the pony from rolling day and laying down which could twist the gut and you'd have to have emergency surgery.

Does your vet know about the green nose discharge and the rancid smell with the burp?

All you can do right now is keep hand walking until the vet gets there and hope this blockage can work itself out. What you can do yourself is put your ear against each side of the pony. You should be audibly able to hear gut sounds on each side with only your ear.

Just keep hand walking the pony it's what is best for her.

Colic is soo scary. Can't add anything that hasn't already been said-sounds like you are doing all that can be done. Just a wait and see type of thing.

We had a horse that just got over a month long colic (sand) We would think he was doing good and start him back on small amounts of hay and then he'd be down again. He belongs to our boarders 7 year old daughter so I know where you are coming from.

I hope your pony and your daughter are both feeling better soon.

Sending hugs and prayers your way.

[Huggy] [Angel] [Angel] [Huggy]

If the pony is lying quietly and not rolling, LET HER LAY! Yes, activity will help with gut motility, but lunging and lunging and lunging is only going to get you an exhausted horse. She's sick for goodness sake, rest helps the body heal. Green discharge is NOT good, especially if she's been tubed before and we know she's not choked. I would be worried about reflux, where stomach contents "back up" out the esophagus. A recheck is certainly in order.

The key with colics are fluids, fluids, fluids. If she's not drinking, I'd be dosing electrolytes to induce her to drink. If she still won't drink, Fluids via nasogastric tube or intravenously will be needed.

The vet just left. He oiled her again and left me some more banamine. He said her gut sounds are good and her heart rate is good. He said she is just impacted. Both the pony and my daughter are 6 :-) The vet did not give her any iv fluids and I do not trust myself to tube her. He just told me to watch her and let him know if she didn't pass some oily manure by tomorrow?! When he tubed her she did have a bit of green stuff come up the tube. I told him about the slight green discharge and the stinky burps but he did not seem concerned :confused0024: I have used this vet for years and I trust him but should I get a second opinion?

She pooped! Only about a half-pile and small and pelleted, not like I'd expect with an impaction colic and now two gallons of oil and water in her but still better than nothing right?

I would keep checking her for dehydration (pinching her skin). If she's dehydrated she's going to need iv fluids. If your vet won't give them I would get another vet out.

How do her gums look now?

Pooping is good... hopefully they'll be some more on the way. [Angel]

Poop is good [Jump] Only horse people get so excited over poop.

Is she showing signs of discomfort? If not I would do as CVM said and just let her rest. I'm sure she is exhausted from everything she's been through. Your vet said she had good gut sounds so things are moving, she doesn't need the walking because things are already moving along. If she starts to show signs of discomfort again I would walk her for 10-15 minutes and take it from there.

Please keep us posted.

How is your daughter feeling today?

This pony is just so incredibly lazy. Walking her right now is very hard, its more like dragging her instead. She's stubborn, she doesn't feel good and she means rest when she wants to rest :smilie: My daughter is on the mend but we are still very cautious because she is an asthmatic and gets pnuemonia easily from previous lung damage. I am also 7 months pregnant and my catching this from her could be catastrophic so it has been extremely stressful for my family. She was diagnosed Friday and has been on Tamiflu since, today was the first day she did not run a fever. YAY! thanks for asking [Huggy]

CVM is right. If your pony is resting quietly and not rolling, you don't have to keep her moving. Gut sounds are good, so is a normal heart rate. But I would get the vet back out, or consider hauling her to a vet school or clinic, if this goes on for too long. Unfortunately, my pony has given me some experience with colic! Has your vet done a rectal yet to see if they can feel an area of impaction? It's so frustrating that we can't see what's going on inside them! I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers

I am also 7 months pregnant and my catching this from her could be catastrophic so it has been extremely stressful for my family.

I know a woman who was 8 months pregnant when she and her twin 2 year olds all came down with H1N1. All recovered and she gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby girl. Please don't panic, the media blows things way out of proportion sometimes. [Huggy]

Yes, if she is wanting to rest, PLEASE LET HER REST! As long as she is not rolling, there is no reason to walk her endlessly. Letting a horse rest during a colic episode can make all the difference on the outcome.

The pony has had two good poops but they were extremely loose and oily. I dosed her up with salt water last night and this morning she had actually finished a whole bucket of water. Im watching her for dehydration and she has her appetite back but I only allowed her 10 minutes of hand grazing this morning, I figured with the wet grass she would get some extra water that way and the vet okayed short grazes.

My daughter is feeling her oats again and driving me crazy :grin: All is looking up, thanks for asking