Sign in to follow this  
Megquestrian

Novice 3-day Event?

I would put this on the eventing board, but it would take years to get a discussion going... :winking:

Adding a novice-level 3-day event is being debated right now for GMHA (Area 1) next year. For the endurance day, a no-fences gallop would substitute for steeplechase.

I think it is a good idea. A good way to learn to rate a gallop and be introduced to the way eventing should be run, IMHO.

What are your thoughts?

At first I thought heck no, steeplechase would be too much for a Novice level. But what you said sounds great!!

However I think some more experienced people should chime in b/c I've only been eventing for a tiny fraction of time at the BN level hehe.

I'm all for it!

I did a T3D in the middle of October and it was defiantly one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Steeplechase was Amazing!

I know that some people don't want to compete higher than Novice, but would still love to do a long format. I think it would be a great opportunity!

I'm all for it!

I did a T3D in the middle of October and it was defiantly one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Steeplechase was Amazing!

I know that some people don't want to compete higher than Novice, but would still love to do a long format. I think it would be a great opportunity!

Thanks for your input, OBJ and J4J.

The main argument against it is that it would "ruin" the image of the 3-day. Honestly, that does not make a whole lot of sense to me. The 3-day needs all the support it can get, and bringing it to the lower levels will help riders reach for higher goals.

I think it would be great! Saying it would ruin the image of 3DE would be comparable to saying X-Rail hunters has ruined hunters, or 2'6" jumpers has ruined that. It's a starting point. Now I do think there should be a limit on how low it goes- trot rail hunters drive me nuts as I swear it takes 5 minutes a round! I'm sure a lot of people are concerned that it will just just keep lowering the standards in that way (BN or lower 3DE's)

They held a Trot-A-Trail event up here at the beginning of the season that had 20 entries in it. Nice simple walk-trot dressage test, x-rail jumping class and a flagged trail that had 3 option fences and was strict on pacing (220mpm) What a nice low stress way to introduce kids and new riders to the sport! It's only held once a year, so they either have to upgrade or spend the rest of the season getting ready to upgrade the following season but at least they've had a taste of eventing. I think a lot of them went on to do the pre-entry events over the rest of the season. I don't think holding such a low level ruined it for anyone, and there were record amounts of riders at each event this season.

I think it's a great idea. I really want to do a T3D at some point, and I'd love to be able to do a N3D to be able to learn about all the ins and outs of a long format without any pressure. If anybody's is interested in seeing the debate going on, there's a good discussion here:

http://www.area1usea.org/Network/BulletinB...lletinboard.htm

Quite honestly, I would have been completely against it not so long ago. Now, I guess there are no reasons not to hold one. The LF is dead anyway, for all intents and purposes. When you consider that anything with Steeplechase no longer can even be used as a qualifier, really who cares! I am a huge proponent of the LF, but really just don't see that it will ever again be relevant. I say, if they think it will bring in the numbers (and it will!!) start running it!

Thanks for posting the link aeris, I've been following it off and on for a little while now.

I think, more than anything, the only way to try and bring back the 3-day is to start lower. If more people get into it and enjoy it then even more will be held.

I completely agree that more will be held at the lower levels. Look at the success of the T3DE. What bothers me is that they are no longer recognized by the powers that be. So many are being lost from the calendar each year because the numbers are not there. There really is no incentive for the ULR at this point to shoot for some of the best 3 days that we used to hold in this country. I would love to see a resuurgence of the LF and if holding them for the LL's is what it takes, I say it's worth a shot!