Sign in to follow this  
Fire&Leroy

Yup, She Broke It..my Arm That Is

My newest mare has decided throughout her life that kicking is the answer for any confrontation.

Im standing in her paddock with her yesterday, just petting, loving, etc. She has been really gentle with me, not showing any agression, etc.

For those who don't know, this is a bone thin 3 year old appy. I brought her home on Saturday. She was "somewhat halter broke" but her past was shady.. The general story was that she was born and raised in a pasture with very little done with her.

Anyhow, Miss Peppy rushed the fence and reached over and bit her in her shoulder as she was turning away from the fence. Right at that moment, I was turning and walking away as well, off to the side a little. If she had not spun like she did, she would have missed me, but as my luck would have it, she managed to kick me. I saw her spinning and knew it was coming, and brought up my arm just in time to catch her hoof before she hit me in the ribs.

I figured it was broken, but went and had an X-ray done today, and got it confirmed. I thankfully don't have to cast it, just be careful with it and wrap/ice if it swells too much.

The good news is that she is gaining weight already. I have her blanketed and she is shedding out her nasty coat. I took her for a walk yesterday down the road and she went through puddles, over the train tracks, cars and trucks dont bother her, even swinging/banging real-estate signs are no big deal.

I wonder about her past as she is super responsive in the halter, although backing up she is a bit lazy. She does pick up all fours, although she doesnt want to keep her kinds up for too long. With the little bit of training she has had, she seems to be really willing and responsive.

She had a cribbing collar on so tight that it was cutting into the base of her ears. The story was that she would rather crib than eat and that her cribbing was why she was so thin. Since I have brought her home she has not worn a collar at all, and she has not been seen or heard cribbing once, by me or the property owners (who work at home and are with the horses almost all day)

Amazing what food can do huh?

A couple pics..

Headshot... Shes gotta cute face for an appy :)

457352692_1595751777_0.jpg

Look at what I found on her left side, I have to call her the "happy appy" now :)

457352540_1595751234_0.jpg

Cute marking! Not so cute that she broke your arm :surrender:

Wish you a quick and easy healing and her also! Seems like she had a rough life before...

I like the Happy Appy name, maybe will give you and her good vibes.

Best wishes for a quick healing.

It doesn't sound like you were the target, she was deffending herself and you were in the wrong place. A little Alpha temperment in her that she kicked instead of leaving?

My future visits would include a halter, lead and a crop. I don't care who bit her, kicking without regard to you isn't at all acceptable.

I'm very dorry to hear about your arm. Take good care of that break~!! [Huggy] [Angel]

My mare kicked me labor day weekend. I hadn't been kicked or hurt in so many years, I can't remember!

I walked up behind her and touched her rear, she knew I was there, but was still startled and kicked.

I knew my wrist was broke, but opted for ice and waiting (it happened at 10 at night).

She cracked my wrist in 2 places, it still hurts, but I'm fine.

Love the face of your appy, she's adorable! That smilie is neat!

Im sure you were in no position to give her the whos who talk(smack in the butt).

I sure hope she has not learned it is ok to kick you again.

I am sorry about your arm and hope you heal well.

Cute marking! Makes me smile!

City thought about cow kicking me ONCE....bet he will never do that again.

Here ya go, I took pictures. It didn't look bad at all, but ohhh did it hurt! (still does)

100B3090.jpg

100_3080.jpg

I couldn't wear a watch for a few weeks!

She did get a good crack right back, unless I am on the ground and cannot move, they get what they have coming to them.

My rule is that when I am near the horses, all four feet stay on the ground. Period. Its just not safe for a horse to be kicking. Well, thats what I intend on happening anyhow.

Its hard to describe the scenario on the computer, but she had jumped away. She jumped and spun, and I think the kick was perhaps a self-defense kick... Heck, I dunno. All I know is I'll keep a much closer eye on her.

I can't say that I have ever been kicked before. I have been struck at, pawed at, kicked at, etc.. but I have always been able to avoid them just because I generally am so watchful. Even the nasty appy filly that I took in last year didnt manage to kick me and she tried HARD. This one struck me when she was loading in the trailer, she barely got me, but it was in the stomach and it hurt... and now this. Darn mare anyway.