cortneyc

~~bit Question~~

Hi guys, haven't been on here in a while. I have a 10 yr. old paint horse gelding and im currently ridin him with a tom thumb snaffle bit with shanks with a copper mouth piece, ive heard that tom thumbs aren't very good bits and im lookin for a different one, but on tho the problem, whenever i am unsaddling him and i go to take the bit out of his mouth, it gets caught in his mouth and he throws his head up and i dont know what to do?? is it the kind of bit? has anyone else had this problem?? it really scares me and im scared im hurtin him so i would like to find out what the problem is...

Edited by corncobb

i took lessons on a horse that did that for quite some time and one day when i asked my instructor about it he said that for awhile another rider rode him with a tom thumb banging on his wolf teeth and he was just acting off of what he was 'trained' to do from the pain of bit hitting the wolf teeth although they had been removed...i would also suggest checking his wolf teeth and good luck!

Either getting caught on wolf teeth or his canines. Let the bit "drop" out of his mouth, so to speak. Or, let him spit it out. Don't tug on it. As for the tom thumb, I ride mostly english, but many western riders around here use it. It is a good bit if used correctly, like any other bit. If you want to go to a bit that is not a broken bit.....try a grazing bit with a low to medium port.

Ditch the Tom Thumb, it's a glorified paper weight.

Doesn't matter whose hands are on the reins, the bit is poorly balanced and designed. It has no release. When you pull back on the reins on a good bit and then let go, the bit 'releases', or goes into a neutral position. The TT does NOT release and stays engaged. When you pull the reins on a TT bit, it folds, creating a nutcracker action on the jaw and poking the roof of the mouth painfully.

Totally CRAP bit. The only reason you see lots of western riders using one is because they are marketed to inexperienced or uneducated riders who simply don't know any better. They believe what the catalogs say. You'll never see a Tom Thumb bit in the show arena, the cutting pen, or especially the reining arena...at least, not WINNING. There's a reason.

When i have a horse doing this, i will take the bridle off in stages until they understand i'm not going to bang his teeth up in the process. First, i'll undo throatlatch (if you have one) and just lay my hand on the top of the headstall at the poll. I'll wait till the horse is relaxed, then slowly pull the headstall off the ears but keep slight pressure on the bit, and keep the bridle ON. When the horse is relaxed i'll slowly drop it without banging his teeth. Let him spit it out.

It takes time and lots of patience. Do get the horses teeth checked at some point but i'm betting it's the freaking bit, not to mention someone yanking the bridle off and hitting his teeth, that caused the problem.

Bumper

also! even after ALL is fixed and you rid yourself of the TT it sometimes takes a while to get the horse to REALIZE that nothing is going to hurt them....we just got a new horse in that was TERRIORIZED! by a crazy 11 yr old girl and she bobs her head ALL over trying to avoid getting hurt (we changed her to a smooth d-ring and even after the 2nd lesson she is better!And give'n to the bit. But she still thinks somebody is going to hurt her mouth with the stupit TT!It takes time...

Edited by honeysmom

Thanks everyone for replyin [Not Worthy] .. and now that you.ve told me all that i totally understand that thats whats been happenin, that its been bangin him on the top of the mouth. i never tried to YANK it out though, i also wanted him to spit it out. i got his teeth checked a couple months ago but he was still doin it after that. i am definetely changing bits. what kind of bits do you guys use ?? i have a o-ring snaffle bit but he does the same thing, so im lookin for a straight bar, but hes a barrrel horse and im lookin maybe for somethin different that just a grazing bit. any suggestions??

Edited by corncobb

its kind of like START over! gun metal smooth snaffle,GENTLE!!! hands let him SEE and Feel that you are NOT going to hurt him.but STILL MAKE him give to the bit(gentley),but as soon as he give's to the pressure RELEASE!!!! and he'll get it!!it might take him a couple of rides but he will...goood luck!

what kind of ring should it be? o-ring , d-ring or does it matter?

D-Ring, O-Ring, egg butt, whatever works for you. There are subtle differences but in this situation i don't think it will matter much.

Spend a few weeks (or months, depending on how your horse responds) going back to basics in a snaffle and then move up to something like a Tender Touch or a Jr Cowhorse.

Bumper

my horse, Bull lol, is doing better with the bit. i got a o ring snaffle and just took it slow and easy and hes already starting to just spit the bit out. just thought i'd let ya know !!

very COOL! Honey like hers so much that she suck's it right out of my hand to get it in her mouth so much faster and she DOESN"T want to spit it out!! She even tries to grap her halter when I put it on and suck on THAT thinking it's her snaffle! she REEEAAALLY likes her Gun-metal!o-ring, I think she would, it JUST where it JUST suck on it! [ROTFL]

Edited by honeysmom

I have always rode my horse in a tom thumb and I have never had a problem with it but recently I switched to different kind of tom thumb. It is a three piece tom thumb with rollers on the middle piece to keep him relaxed and to give him a little bit more rate. I barrel race him and he needs the extra rate on the first barrel, I have won a bunch of times with this bit, and I will never go back. Now around the house we use tom thumbs on our older trail horses. But on the younger horses we use nothing more than a snaffle bit.

I have always rode my horse in a tom thumb and I have never had a problem with it but recently I switched to different kind of tom thumb. It is a three piece tom thumb with rollers on the middle piece to keep him relaxed and to give him a little bit more rate. I barrel race him and he needs the extra rate on the first barrel, I have won a bunch of times with this bit, and I will never go back. Now around the house we use tom thumbs on our older trail horses. But on the younger horses we use nothing more than a snaffle bit.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts if you put him in a different bit...anything but a TT...you'd find he's even better.

The 3 piece TT still has poor balance and the purchase/shank ratio is still bad, but at least the 3 piece mouth gets rid of the "poke a big hole in the roof of the mouth" issue.

Bumper

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Ditch the Tom Thumb, it's a glorified paper weight.

Doesn't matter whose hands are on the reins, the bit is poorly balanced and designed. It has no release. When you pull back on the reins on a good bit and then let go, the bit 'releases', or goes into a neutral position. The TT does NOT release and stays engaged. When you pull the reins on a TT bit, it folds, creating a nutcracker action on the jaw and poking the roof of the mouth painfully.

Totally CRAP bit. The only reason you see lots of western riders using one is because they are marketed to inexperienced or uneducated riders who simply don't know any better. They believe what the catalogs say. You'll never see a Tom Thumb bit in the show arena, the cutting pen, or especially the reining arena...at least, not WINNING. There's a reason.

When i have a horse doing this, i will take the bridle off in stages until they understand i'm not going to bang his teeth up in the process. First, i'll undo throatlatch (if you have one) and just lay my hand on the top of the headstall at the poll. I'll wait till the horse is relaxed, then slowly pull the headstall off the ears but keep slight pressure on the bit, and keep the bridle ON. When the horse is relaxed i'll slowly drop it without banging his teeth. Let him spit it out.

It takes time and lots of patience. Do get the horses teeth checked at some point but i'm betting it's the freaking bit, not to mention someone yanking the bridle off and hitting his teeth, that caused the problem.

Bumper<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

HA! agreed! Glorified paper weight (: definately made my day! :rotf:

I'd use a really gentle bit like some sort of snaffle like everyone's said and treat your horse like a colt and slowly upgrade your bit. You don't have to of course if you have enough control keep running your horse in a snaffle. But I'd recommend a bit with short shanks like 3 inch or a bit longer or so with a bit of a gag and a three piece dog bone or chain mouthpiece. I'd really recommend the Molly Powell bit the rookie with a chain mouthpiece. It has short shanks and the chain is really giving and keeps a horses mouth 'fresh' even if it gets pulled on a bunch and most horses accept the chain very willingly.