Sign in to follow this  
palominolady

What Kind Of Interesting Pets Do You Hav?

I have had rats ever since I was a kid, now im 42 and still have to have a rat in my life

and no not some creepy dude :happy0203:

Meet Ratty aka fat's

he is sleeping in this picture, he sleeps with his eyes open sometimes. crummy pic I know

ill get better ones posted.

038.jpg

Edited by palominolady

Well i have a raccoon. As a baby his mom got hit by a car and i took him to the vet. Got him checked for diseases and such, and he didn't have any. So he's vaccinated and gets dewormed. He lives in my horses barn. But he's not allowed anywhere near the feed and he knows it. The feed room is locked and he can't get in there and the hayloft gets locked too. He's friendly, but i'm pretty much the only one who pets him. He is a wild animal, so i don't let others, especially kids, near him. He's never been mean though.

My friend has a stray rooster that just showed up at her house. He roosts in the hayloft of her barn and they throw him corn. Only she would have a stray rooster!!

I have 2 rather unusual "pets" -- a couple of Red Eared Slider aquatic turtles. Found both as hatchlings while living in Texas. Couldn't find anyone to adopt them last year, so they moved with us.

Strider, male, 7 years old

DSCN2615.jpg

Padty, female, 4 years old

DSCN2612.jpg

VIDEO

th_DSCN2616.jpg

Those were taken last January when they were still 6 and 3 yo. They were both hatched in March, so will soon have birthdays.

One of these days, we'll build them an escape-proof pond. Until then, they are housed in aquariums in the mud room. So you can get an idea of their size, the tank on the left holding Strider is 55 gallons, the Padty's is 75 gallons.

We separated them so they couldn't breed or fight -- Padty didn't always welcome Strider's signs of affection. [Crazy] And because they were getting too large for both to be in the 75 gallon tank. They need room to swim to stay healthy.

I've got a year old mini-lop named Mr. Mia. I bought him thinking he was a her. Didn't bother to check for myself until I noticed "she" had a couple extra bits of "her" I wasn't expecting. Ha ha ha. Got him neutered the next day. Didn't change the name though because he responds to Mia, so it stuck.

snowday004-2.jpg

Baby picture.

a1749.jpg

Mia with our lab Remy. Rem is very good with him, the rabbit hops all over him and he just doesn't care! We've always had good luck with our dogs and rabbits getting along.

how easy is it to keep a hedge hog?

Dunno. I refused to care for it for him. No one in my family is allowed to get any more pets cuz it always ends up that mom is the one to feed them. But, I refuse to clean the cages. I won't let an animal starve, but if they want it, they can clean the cage. Personally I own 2 rabbits, a cat and Sprite. My daughter has 2 mice, a rabbit, a cat and a pony. My son has an iguana and a dog. He used to have the hedgehog and a snake, both of which have died. I care for all the animals, and I don't want to care for anymore than I am-unless I get a puppy, and I won't do it now cuz I don't have the time to train it.

[smiley Wavey] Spots how sweet of you to take in the turtles, they are both very cute, thanks for sharing :happy0203: BTW, do you still have any KOI left?

meg [Jump] your Bunny Mia is so cute, funny how your dog and rabbit get along so well [Huggy]

sprite [Huggy] I under stand about the no more pet thing, my sister and I brought home all kinds of animals and my mom ended up takeing care of all of them, poor mom :twitch: GEESH :twitch: im still doing it,

I left her with my donkey,she loves him any way [Crazy]

kyra [smiley Wavey] do ya have any pics of your little racoon, to share for all of us please :happy0203: .

I have nothing odd for a pet. However, the boyfriend used to have a baby racoon, too. But, once it was old enough to fend for itself we had to release it because if you don't and Game Comission finds out - you get I believe a $300 fine (May be a bit more).

And I used to have an adorable picture on my old cell phone - thought I sent it to the computer and now I can't find it.

We had someone give us a tom turkey one time and we decided he needed a girlfriend. So we got an American Heritage hen from some people around here ... and the rest, as they say, is history!

Our turkeys are "free range" ... goats too. The turkey's roost on the studs fence usually and the goats sleep in the hay shed. The turkeys wander all over in the spring and summer; it's a wonder we still have as many as we do! The goats don't go too far ... maybe halfway down the driveway is all. If I see them and holler "GOATS!" they will come barreling back down the driveway, like they are in trouble. The turkeys, if they are within earshot, all I need to do is get some bread and say "turk turlk turk" and they come flying, usually literally ... they love bread!

[ROTFL] I love the turkeys andy thats a great pic of the three on the table.

and your goats are so pretty, my mom had some goats and they are so frendly [Jump]

[smiley Wavey] Spots how sweet of you to take in the turtles, they are both very cute, thanks for sharing :happy0203: BTW, do you still have any KOI left?

You remember I had koi!! Sad to report that we lost our largest ones and a lot of the goldfish a couple years ago when one of the ponds went bad (oxygen deprivation). Only fish who survived were the 2 smaller koi and the rest of the goldfish in the other pond. The 2 we had left we gave to a friend before moving to Colorado.

We do have one koi, however. We brought several of my waterlilies from Texas and have them in a round stock tank. Put in a small koi we bought here to eat mosquito larvae. Hopefully, we'll get a decent pond built for him before he outgrows the stock tank. LOL I don't have a decent pic of him. He hides from me. :confused0024:

Geckos are pretty cool. I've never had one as a pet, but we did have Mediterranean Geckos in our yard in Texas. Loved listening to them "chirp" at night. I've never wanted one as a pet, but I never thought I'd have turtles, either. LOL!

Have had green anoles as pets when we lived in Ohio, but those were wild in our yard in Texas also, so didn't keep any as pets there.

yes spots I rember your Koi :happy0203: lol your other one hides.

Twister, ya need to try and get a pic of that Gecko :twitch: I love them.

Edited by palominolady

Aw, thanks! I'm sure he'd be a lot better looking if I could ever get him to show me his faethers! I've been trying my best to scare him so he'll spread them out, but no luck. I think he's just annoyed with me now. Any one know how to get a peacock to show off? [ROTFL]

[ROTFL] ok try any meow really loud, thats what the males sound like but do it with out the m lol

i know how to do it's just hard to explain, you just need to let him think your another male so he has comptition [Crazy] I know it sounds crazy, thats what the ppl are going to think when they see you meowing at a peacock [ROTFL] just strut your stuff [ROTFL]

Edited by palominolady

[ROTFL] [ROTFL] [ROTFL]

People probably already think I've lost it anyway; why not meow at it?! Hahaha! Lately my tactic has been jumping out from behind stuff and climbing on high things and jumping down in front of it. So far it just flys away, haha!

I think I might try to get a recording of a male and play it for Philip!!! [ROTFL]

I have 2 Indian Dwarf Puffer Fish. I dont have any pictures of mine, because they are too small for my camera to pick up properly.

But here is a picture of the species-

I have a male and female named Mickey & Mallory :)

ETA- they are less than an inch long... but soooo fun to care for.

Edited by CowgirlUp5707

Aw, thanks! I'm sure he'd be a lot better looking if I could ever get him to show me his faethers! I've been trying my best to scare him so he'll spread them out, but no luck. I think he's just annoyed with me now. Any one know how to get a peacock to show off? [ROTFL]

I have no idea how... umbrella? One peacock at a show I went to decided to do it out of no where and my pony freaked ^-^, well not really freak but her ears were practically touching in the middle she was so interested and she was probably ready to run if it started chasing her.