Sign in to follow this  
Buck-Appaloosa

Saddle Has Numbers On It

I recently got a 13" western saddle from a local auction and it's in good shape besides the horn missing. It has a brand on the skirt directly under the cantle. It says Simco and has the number 5506. What does that number mean? And is there a way to figure out how old this saddle is?

Thanks.

The number under the leg skirt is the model number. If it still has the piece that you loop your cinch strap through, that is the year it was made number. If the last two numbers are 06 then it was made in 2006 etc. Hope this helps. I think I have pics of what I am talking about if you need.

http://www.simcolonghorn.com/contactus.html

Call these people. They changed the model numbers about 4 years ago. It looked like it was from the the late 70's to me. My old Simco is from 1977. You would never know what year it was made from the model number on the latigo keeper. I have never seen any other number on it except the one on the keeper.

Can you post another picture of it please?

If the number is on the frog, then it is probably from the 50's or 60's. Have you started cleaning and oiling it yet? If you call Simco/Longhorn tomorrow I bet someone there can tell you about that saddle. They still have a lot of employees from long ago working for them.

This is the only pic I have of it right now. It's on the back directly under the cantle. No I Haven't felt up to cleaning it yet as I just had knee surgery Thursday and start therapy this Thursday. I should feel up to it by next week and I'll get it all cleaned up.

camerapics340.jpg

And thanks, will call them tomorrow.

I would say it is from the 70's. The buckstitching was the "bling" of the 70's. It looks to be a pleasure/trail saddle. Horn probably got broke or became loose and they cut it off. It will be a good indoor project for when the snow blows in. That is what I plan to do when we get a good snow this year, is to clean my Simco from top to bottom. I love that old saddle. I have many miles on it and never a sore body part once from it.

I forgot about your surgery. Take it easy this time around so you don't have to have #3.