redneckcowgirlmn

Questions For The Younger Crowd

Hi guys, I was hoping I could get some insight from a few younger members, in regards to my kids & barrels/games, etc.

Currently, my almost 11 yr old son is running my 13 yr old mare, & doing ok. He's not all that into practicing, just likes to compete. He needs to improve in a few areas, because his riding is causing my mare to fight him, slow up & not run her patterns correctly. I know he's bored with the Mom lessons... do I go ahead & send him out for lessons before he really ticks off the mare & ruins her? (Head tossing, over correcting, knocking into barrels, & this is all at a walk/trot.) Is he just trying to hurry her? Is he sick of me & my "Sit up, LOOK UP, tell her 'HERE' to rate, not so hard on cranking her around, she knows the pattern, let her do it..." etc?

AND, the 6 yr old. He wants to do it also, & is just getting to the point of riding off a leadline. His pony knows that once I unsnap the lead line, all's fair in love & war. I currently have the pony in an O ring snaffle, (Figured with the kid learning how to rein, this would be the least damaging to the pony...) Pony has learned to just ignore him. Do I get on & school the pony? Or do I move up to a 3 piece short shank colt bit, to give a little curb pressure, to add to the 6 yr old's weak arms? Pony is 21. 13hh, approx 800#. Been there, done that. Goes great for the older kid.... not so much for the younger one. Butt spanker is too complicated for the kid to use & keep pony going where he wants him to. Do I try some bumper spurs?

Thanks for any input, I'm pullin' hair out here.... the kids want to ride & compete, but I'm just not getting through to them on what needs to be done.

lol..i know how that goes i was in the same situation with my mother only she was teaching me and the horse at the same time...my mom helped but i did some things on my own..maybe have him do some ground work with her first and try to understand the mare and how she acts...and if he doesnt listen to you then mayeb a trainer would be a good thing..but being 11yrs old is when every kid turns into a know it all hard head..haha...

as for the younger one been there done that too..my pony was like that too..haha..what i would do is get on the on the pony and see if its the bit he isnt listening to and dont use a lot of pressure try to go back to the strength that you think your 6yr old has and try that and if he doesnt listen to that then maybe you need a differnt bit like yousaid to make up for the lack of power your younger one has...if that isnt the problem maybe teach him to use bumper spurs to help with cues and maybe keep the pony listening to him...with my pony he got to bored when i was learning things and he got bored and quit listening to me so i would kick a little to make him listen and to remind him who was in charge...

I hope this helps you out....

Haha, I had the exact opposite problem when I was his age! I juat wanted to practice so much my poor pony got so sick of the barrels!

I would defiantly send your older one out for lessons if it's within the budget. I feel like kids that young are positive that you're only trying to make them run slower and you have no idea what you're taking about. [ROTFL]

As for the pony, I think moving the bit up or adding spurs in not a good idea. If he's fine carrying you around, schooling him yourself sounds like the best plan. You don't want the pony to ignore his rider, because that's going to cause some serious problems when your son moves up to higher speeds. It sounds to me like the problem is more the pony that the kid. It really shouldn't be about pulling the pony around, which is the impression I got when you mentioned the 6 year old has weak arms and spanking to keep pony going where you want. Sounds like the pony just needs to learn how to respond to lighter cues.

Good luck with both of them :)

I could come down and help with them. Jesse seemed pretty eager to listen to me that day he rode rocket and i rode your blue unicorn. I could bring bucky down this spring...i did 2 summers of lessons 2X times a week with a gentleman and his wife who definately know what they are talking about and had daughters that won everything....one is still winning and she's in her 40s now with 4 children. 3 boys and a girl...and they win everything too. lol. So if you want some help, I could come down and teach them what i learned. Bucky and I didn't do half bad...i just got out of it because i wanted something different..but i could teach jess and tristy if ya want.

Come on down, Spanish! Any time, the couch is yours whenever you want it, lol!

Yes, Jesse REALLY enjoyed riding with you, lol! :winking: (I think he has a bit of a crush, lol!)

& yea, you gotta come down & take old Grandpa Tonka for a spin... he's fun!

Well, just tell him he either takes the lessons or he doesn't ride at all... The worst thing is when someone mess's up a horse when they don't try to work on their mistakes, haha : )

Edited by cowgirl.up121