Sign in to follow this  
rosierodeo17259

Getting Her Mind Off Of Things

ok so my barrel horse used to be my show horse but now she just runs barrels. Everytime I go in arena she thinks she just needs to run barrels even if there not set up. should i go take her back and do a couple schooling shows to get both of our minds out of the frame of mind of hauling and go!? I have wanted to start showing again but would a few flat classes really do anything bad or good?

When a horse gets to the point where you can't ride in the arena without them freaking about barrels it's usually a sign they need a break. Show classes are a good start. I used to take my horses into fun shows periodically to keep their minds sane. It's important to make sure they understand the arena does NOT always mean barrels. I've also done dressage on my barrel horses.

Bumper

I had the same problem with my Barrel Mare, you probably just took things too fast too soon. I ended up getting really hurt at a Jr. Rodeo because she was so out of control, a wreck was the wake up call I needed. Due to my Concussion, I couldn't ride for a few months, so she had a nice little break. Then I completely took her off of patterns and we started trail riding more. When I started to introduce her to patterns again, it was only at shows (we didn't touch a barrel at home) we walked, walked, and walked some more in the arena. I SWEAR by slow work, you can never do enough. I was out of the competitive level for probably two years. I just recently started doing some Western Pleasure classes and all that stuff, and that seems to be doing good for her too. Another good thing to remember is for every ONE pattern that you run, you should walk AT LEAST THREE. I wish you luck with trying to calm down your horse, It can be done, but it's a long journey.

I had the same problem with my Barrel Mare, you probably just took things too fast too soon. I ended up getting really hurt at a Jr. Rodeo because she was so out of control, a wreck was the wake up call I needed. Due to my Concussion, I couldn't ride for a few months, so she had a nice little break. Then I completely took her off of patterns and we started trail riding more. When I started to introduce her to patterns again, it was only at shows (we didn't touch a barrel at home) we walked, walked, and walked some more in the arena. I SWEAR by slow work, you can never do enough. I was out of the competitive level for probably two years. I just recently started doing some Western Pleasure classes and all that stuff, and that seems to be doing good for her too. Another good thing to remember is for every ONE pattern that you run, you should walk AT LEAST THREE. I wish you luck with trying to calm down your horse, It can be done, but it's a long journey.

I agree, slow work slow work slow work!! My uncle Chris used to say: "Sometimes you have to slow down to speed up" RIP CHRIS :winking:

hey guys! I just came back to HorseCity with a new name, was browsing through this and thought everything you all said was great and would love to update you. I actually ended up moving and working with a lady who really helped me correct my riding and helped with my mare. After months and months of reprograming both my horse and me we were able to finish off the year doing really well. All in all I also found out that her heart wasn't truely into it(although we still sure can clock) and after babying her physically(we had some minor soundness issues, probably due to a poor start on my part with her) I have found her true love that keeps her physically and mentally happy and she is starting her new life as a heel horse. Thank you all for the input.