Sign in to follow this  
quarterpaint

Ehglish Snaffle

Ok I hope I get an answer here for this is a major question for the english rider.

I just aquired a 17+ hand TB who has never seen the track by the way. But has been riddin in English. He has had some western gear on and did ok in but just deffinately doesn't like the rear cinch. So I was told not to use it on him.

Ok not a problem. I don't use them anyways.

So I asked the person who I got him from (who by the way was not the original owner) what type of bit is he used to. She was told by the person who she got him from that he is used to an english snaffle.

Ok! Me (and the person I got him from) are both western riders. I am totally a true greenie when it comes to english equipment. But I do know a little about bits and I have seen certain types used in both dissiplines.

Now please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't an english snaffle the same as a "D" or "O" or a "full cheek" snaffle?????? Or am I missing the boat somewhere?

I would really like to keep this guy in what he is familiar and comfortable with (bit wise anyways) and depending on how he does in Western, I might just keep him in english. But like I mentioned, I am totally clueless about english.

My saddle seat size in western is a 16. What size would I need in english? I also have noticed that there are different types of english saddles (just like in western I guess) How would I know what type of english saddle would I get? If I keep him in english I would only use him as a pleasure rider.

Please no bashing me cause I am green to english or anything like that (I got bashed on a different board and thread). But I really would LOVE some help and suggestions. All of that is very much appreciated and welcome.

Thank You all in advance.

Jenn

There's no such thing as an "english" snaffle - that could mean everything you said, a full cheek, d-ring, eggbutt, loose ting, or even a three piece french link or KK.

So you are not missing a boat. I would just grab a regular full cheek and see how it goes.

Typically with saddle sizing, you go up 2" from your western size but that is only a starting point.

I would recommend a close contact saddle over an "all purpose" one - not because you want to jump but just because all purpose saddles typically are not designed well, and tend to encourage you to ride in a chair seat. Some don't, but they're few and far between.

I would recommend you look for a used saddle, to keep prices down. Anything you buy brand new for under $500 is likely to be VERY poor quality - it will likely fit you or the horse (or both) poorly and create discomfort, which will give you a bad experience. Definitely stay away from those "saddle package" deals. That said, if you're looking to save money, wintec makes some decently comfortable saddles.

If you're really and truly only looking to pleasure and trail ride, you could also look into a trail or aussie style saddle, as they can be quite comfortable.

Thank You golden.

I know I may be ignernt (lol) to some things but I just got totally gunfuzzled by that.

Thanks too on the saddles. So if I am a 16 in western then I am a 18 in English? Is that about correct?

What do you think of them synthetic english saddles?

Honestly I do have a lot to learn about english. I did ride in and english saddle a couple of times a loooonnnnggggggg time ago but the horse was allready tacked up for me so I don't even know how to cinch one up. But I do know that some terms are said differently between the two dissaplines but it all means the same thing.

Thanks again.

Jenn

Thank You golden.

Thanks too on the saddles. So if I am a 16 in western then I am a 18 in English? Is that about correct?

What do you think of them synthetic english saddles?

the 2" thing is just a rough starting point. Another thing to check is the length of your leg (from, um, crotch to the middle of the knee) that should also roughly correspond to saddle size. from there it will vary based on your weight/build, and the type of saddle.

Wintecs are OK and generally designed better than other synthetic brands. I don't own any and am a leather snob, though, so I don't know which model I'd recommend. :)

hey there! i was in the same boat as you, when i started riding english all of my tack was set, i just elarned to put it on the horse and got on. i cant tell you one bit from the other, but im getting there! I ride in a 16 western seat and on a rough rule i just bought an 18 english seat all purpose saddle. im not sure of the make or anything, but it is very comfortable and i like it a lot! i went to a tack shop and looked at a bunch of saddles and they all looked nice and had some of the wintec synthetic ones you are tlaking about...they are decent. a friend of mine has an all purpose wintec synthetic too and i have rode in it a few times(it is only a 16 so quite small for me) but those saddles are quite comfortable and they have the cair system to change the wither section (gullet i think they call it) and as you said about the different terminology, there are quite a few different things to learn such as the western stirrups verses the english irons and leathers lol or perhaps the western cinch verses the english girth...not a lot of help here but just a friendly note!