Rachel-BCKRM

The Water Jump

hey guys. i was just wondering what all you guys thought about the water jump and how you deal with it. i'm hoping to be able to take my pony, bazzi, to an ODE soon but he's petrified of water even little puddles!! i've been told by alot of people to just kick and kick but that really doesn't work with bazzi, he just gets all upset and shaky. it'll be our first ODE ever and i really don't want him getting upset halfway through a cross country course! so what do you all think about the water jump and how do you guys handle it? [Question]

Start hand walking him through puddles then ride through puddles and so on. I had a horse that hated water but just being persistant paid off. Have boots that you can be in the water with. Good luck.

Have you gone XC schooling before? If not, definitely go before a competition, with a trainer, not just for the water but for all types of jump and terrain.

Have a water-happy lead horse, ammunition (spurs/crop), be willing to get your feet wet, or have someone lead you in. Ride up confident.

I have water-addicted horses. One would splash in a water complex all day if you let him, and would much rather jump in than out of water!

I definatly agree about having an experienced horse be able to lead or for you to follow in. Horses are herd animals and if they see one horse do it then it reasures them that its going to be okay.

Now the whole conclusion of it being okay may not set in till later on but its practice. My horse is not a water fan but after ALOT of work we are now able to gallop into water while on course. Given it did take falling off in front of the water at an event, then hand walking her in.

Know how your horse clicks is always nice to. I found that what frighted my horse the most about the water was not that it was just water, but that its this big intimidating shinny puddle and it looks like there is no way to avoid it. So at one event I decided to slow to a forward walk and angle her in a way where she thought she was not going into the water but was walking right next to it and I just opened my rein and told her lets go this way and she went right on in, no fuss, no hassle.

Knowing your horse I think is the best ammunition you have when trying to approach new things. Plus practice lots and lots of practice. Even still 2 days before an event I make it a point to go out on cross country and school the water before leaving. It never hurts to let them have a little refresher.

I wish you lots of luck!!

Thanks everyone. i decided to try it out today butafter getting on, realized that he's twinged a muscle in his back leg so unfortunately that'll put the training off for a little while until he gets better!! [Duh]