jushorsinroun

My Daughter Has A Lump In The Front Of Her Throat

First let me start of by saying she is going to the Doctor tomorrow.

She is 14 and for the past week she has been complaining about shortness of breath and hard to take in a deep breath. This is not consistent nor all day. Just comes and goes thru out the day. She also started vomiting every now and again, last Thursday once, Friday once then On Monday twice then on Tuesday once. No symptoms at all! Feels fine no fever with normal energy. Now this afternoon she has a lump that you can see the lump growing and is the size circumference of my thumb at the top front of her throat. Right about where the Adam?s apple would be. It doesn?t move around, it is hard, and when she feels on the sides with her fingers as if she was going to grab a hold of it to pull it out she feel something in the back that is attached to something. She is tired very tired for a couple of months if this means anything?

This scares the crap out of me and am having trouble going to sleep tonight waiting to see the doctor tomorrow!

Any Ideas?

MissTeenTucson-Brook5.jpg

Edited by jushorsinroun

Swollen Lymph node.. or maybe a tonsil that needs to come out?

I also know you can have "pouches" in the back of your throat that can get too much food/bateria caught in them that get infected and stuff too.

No sore throat, looked inside and it all looks good! The lump is on the hard part of the throat (esophagis..sp) on the outside like a finger down from where it meets your jaw. I don't believe it is a Lymph node or tonsiles, but who am I right....

thanks you!

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

Enlarged thyroid

Your thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of your neck just below your Adam's apple. Sometimes the thyroid gland grows larger than normal ? a condition known as goiter. Although goiters are usually painless, a large goiter can cause a cough and make it difficult for you to swallow or breathe.

The most common cause of goiter worldwide is a lack of iodine in the diet. In the United States, where most people use iodized salt, goiter is more often due to the over- or underproduction of thyroid hormones or to nodules that develop in the gland itself.

Treatment depends on the size of the goiter, your symptoms and the underlying cause. Small goiters that aren't noticeable and don't cause problems usually don't need treatment.

Not all goiters cause signs and symptoms. When symptoms do occur they may include:

■A visible swelling at the base of your neck that may be particularly obvious when you shave or put on makeup

■A tight feeling in your throat

■Coughing

■Hoarseness

■Difficulty swallowing

■Difficulty breathing

Wow thank you all! The lump is above where the adam's apple would be not below....???? I am actually afraid of the C word...cancer. I just can not get it out of my head as I have seen so much of it. Thankfully not in the family but in friends and their family. I am probably making something out of nothing!

[Huggy] Ok, first of all I would like for you to sit down, close your eyes and take deep breath through your nose.... then let it out completely through your mouth. Do this twice if need be.

Now, from what I went to read it does sound like an enlarged thyroid/goiter. It rarely is the "C" word according to what is out there unless she is a smoker. I don't think your daughter is a smoker. Or is she? :winking: Relax. You are doing just what you are suppose to do. You are going to the doctor tomorrow. Maybe she is not getting enough salt in her diet.

Here is one of the things I read

http://www.endocrineweb.com/nodule.html

Try not to worry about this and get some sleep. You will need to be fresh for your daughter tomorrow. I will do the worrying for you tonight. In the mean time I will do some more reading. [Angel] and [Huggy] for everyone.

I had a goiter when I was 10. It was almost halfway, and just off center. Then did a radioactive scan and told my mom to alternate iodized/plain salt. To have it checked yearly after puberty.

I didn't but all was ok until I had my 2nd baby. It grew and stopped. When I had the redhead, it started growing again and did not stop. I started having issues with vertigo, anxiety attacks and tingling. Thet said the test were within normal lvels, but I finally asked (after a year) How big are you going to let it get?

Got sent to an Intenist who looked for a tumor but couldn't be sure so they took it out. It should be flat, and the right side alone was over 4 inches long! No cancer, but if I HAD to have cancer... Thyroid is better then many others. It's slow growing and doesn't spread as easily as other types.

It does regulate your metabolism & hormons. When they took that half out I was a zombie eating to stay awake, gaining weight and stopped having periods. It was horrible! I had to walk on my tip toes if I got out of bed because you ankle tendons get tight, and have less reflexive movement. If your levels are off you shed a lot of hair, lose or gain weight depending on if it's high or low.

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are awesome! Lots of great info!!!!! Toc....that is great info....Goatmom...thank you, I think I can go to sleep now! I will let you know tomorrow what the doctor says!

I love my HC friends! You all are great!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Since tomorrow is Saturday, I am going to assume her appointment is today? Either way, wishing the best for your daughter. I believe it is probably nothing though. I had a lump on the front of mine - it was small like the size you are describing - and over time it went away. However I never vomited or had the shortness of breath.

I'll be looking to see the results.

:huggy: to you. Hope you got some sleep.

That sounds like the wrong end of the throat to be the thyroid. The thyroid gland is located toward the base of the throat (I had thyroid issues and had them palpate it more times than I can count).

There are lots of other options it could be besides the big C...

http://www.guadalupe-ec.org/2_Klinik/08_EN...omy_throat1.jpg

let us know what the doctor says!

Certainly not something to mess around with..........get to a doctor.

Period.

I am coming from a position of having had thryoid cancer twenty years ago.

CR

[Angel] [Huggy]

Seeing as there are lymph glands in the neck and under the chin, it could be an infection of some kind.

Mono can cause glands in the neck to swell.

I have known 2 people who have had lumps exactly where your daughter's is.

When I was 16 I had one in my groin.

After biopsies, all three cases turned out to be Cat Scratch Fever.

So there are a lot of possibilities of what it can be. Try to stay positive until you know.

UGH....EX HUSBANDS!!!!! My ex has the insurance as he is supposed to per divorce 12 years ago, but he will not give me the info or the card. He wouldn?t take her to the urgent care last night and told me he would today. Now it is like pulling strings to come pick her up to take her. OMG, for real, what a piece of sh**! So I am going to take her myself as if I have the money this time of year. I haven?t even started x-mas shopping yet and it is my son?s 17th b-day today and I haven?t bought him anything yet. I have to go shopping. To top it off I am not getting child support!!! I will take care of my daughter and I will sell my left arm to make sure she gets seen today, someone has to step up to the plate I have been up there for their whole life and I will continue, who needs dead beat dads anyways? Whew?.I feel better?.sorry!

I am off to the doctor, I will let you all know what happens! I am positive everything is going to be okay! She is strong and has been thru many medical situations and she always pulls thru them!

Thank you all!!!! You are GREAT!!

Tell the clinic that the father has the health insurance. Do you know the company it is with? If so then call the insurance company directly as ask for help that way.

Paso.... he is faxing them a copy of the ins. card. What a great guy huh!

Draft.... I am on the way to the E.R. Right now the Doctors want the cat scan and sono on the throat.

Thanks everyone, I pick my son up at the airport tonight at 8 pm!! So I will try to update you all from my cell phone! He is doing his Jr. year in Littleton Co. living with my Uncle! One of the best high schools in the USA!!

[Huggy] For all. I hope you get good news and the "lump" is just a great big zit or an ingrown hair or something!

Okay it is late and home from the E.R. They have no clue why she is having trouble breathing, or what the lump is....ugh. They did a bunch of blood test that showed to be good. Not cancer blood work but that her white blood cells looked good. Her lymph node test came out good, EKG is also good, x-ray on throat and chest all came back good and clear. Their answer is ?go see your primary on Monday?. The primary sent me to the E.R.! They wouldn?t do the cat scan or the sono on her throat. I am a fighter when it comes to getting results but I was FED up so I will go to the primary and have him schedule those test. The other answer is? we have no idea why your daughter is having issues breathing which is obvious when you watch her breath?. She can take like 20 normal breaths and then hard to inhale for about 5 breaths. They have no idea what the growth is either! So we are right back to where we started?. We have no idea what is wrong. But at least they said that ?it doesn?t seem to be life threatening in her breathing and that she will be fine, but if it gets worst please come back?. Oh and then the kicker, ?just because we didn?t find anything tonight doesn?t mean that there isn?t something wrong?. I hope this doesn?t turn out to be another long drawn out ordeal like the last one 2 years ago.

When I find out more info I will update. Thank you everyone!!! You have been great!!