Sign in to follow this  
jjinks

Who Is Breeding In 2010?

I am breeding Sheba for sure to Doc for a 2011 foal. This will be her first and probably last foal (but who knows, maybe when she's much older might get one more out of her... but we'll see!!) I am keeping the foal and going to make it into a can chasing, cow chasing horse. Sheba has no cow sense but will run like the wind. Doc is a cutting/roping/cow horse.

Sheba-

l_ff699e80c9384e949dde910596b4c285.jpg

Doc-

l_dfe77f0faa484afe886f4e6ca0479010.jpg

I am breeding my pony for a mini mule as well. She is 4 years old and this will be her second baby. The boyfriend is getting the mini mule as a present :) He wants one pretty bad hehe

my new mare- just gotta pick her up!!

l_c1d129501c4a4c259091ab1151c3889f.jpg

What about you guys?

Edited by BabiGirl90

I have a bunch of mares I am breeding in 2010 for 2011 babies ...

Puchi Trap goes back to Guaranteed Gold, for 100% sure!

RFF Pearlescent goes back to Guaranteed Gold for 100% sure!

My new mare - Kyrie D Triomphe (by the spectacular Olympic jumper Heisman, ridden by Michael Matz in the '90's) goes to Guaranteed Gold as well. This is a picture of Kyrie:

Kyrie-BL1.jpg

I am just in the process of buying back another mare I used to own - RFF Golden Angel - a lovely palomino TB mare by the GP dressage stallion - Glitter Please. She will be bred to Guaranteed Gold as well:

Angel-standturn1-Apr03.jpg

And then I have to figure out who to re-breed my Faux Finish mare to. Either back to Redwine or possibly to a lovely young stallion down in FL - a son of Balou du Rouet - named Bliss MF ...

Decisions, decisions ...

For 2010 we have 2 in foal (it was suppose to be 3 but one is not in foal [Me Cry] )

Another Vallentina in foal to Royal Invitation

6092_813507956860_48922377_47429461_5862702_n.jpg

Arts Bay Lady in Foal to Royal Invitation

n48922377_35926771_8915.jpg

I will be breeding 3 of my mares for sure to my new stallion

This is him, CLASSIC ITEM

front2_send.jpg

face.jpg

And he is being bred to

Obsesed In Honey

Honeyworld.jpg

Melody Sunburst

melody.jpg

And MY ZIPPERS BUSTED

pj1.jpg

He will also be standing to a few of the previous owners mares and a few outside mares as well.

I can't wait to see his babies

MMN

Edited by MissMotherNature

MMN~~I like your stud. He looks good. Him and my mare look a little alike!! How tall is he?

Yikes I just realized that your stud is HYPP N/H....

gallery_34010_904_46001.jpg

Edited by jackie2925

He is currently 15'2 but that is as a coming 3 yr old. Yes he is N/H, if you are breeding for halter you pretty much have to have a N/H horse to be competitive. Sad but true. I will probably be selling him later on down the line for a N/N stud. I wanted a N/N stud but he was all I found with the bloodlines and conformation I wanted.

MMN

Yes I agree he would be much nicer if he were N/N. That is why I will be selling him not to far down the road. I am going to get a show record on him and hopefully increase what I spent on him. I know I should be able to with his pedigree and conformation. I agree it is very sad that you have to have a N/H horse to be competitive. I only am showing and breeding for halter as that is all I can show. I can no longer ride because of my back. I am far to young to get out of showing and it is my passion. Halter is not my passion but I have to have some way to pay for them and having a stud and showing is it. I used to breed and show western pleasure and HUS horses but sadly that is no longer something I can do.

MMN

Stars,

He is a pretty boy!

True,

your horses are beautiful

I've been doing some reading and I don't think N/H is that bad as long as MMN is a good steward to her stallion and only breeds to N/N mares. APHA hasn't even put anything up against HYPP registration limits have they??? Other breeds with other mutations are doing the same as AQHA is and believe with good breeders, the mutations will soon be gone in the lines, thus preserving these lines...

JEB for example has been plaqueing the Belgian drafts for centuries and they have finally decided to nip it in the butt by doing the same thing AQHA is doing...

http://www.belgiancorp.com/jeb.html

AD

Alaska I think you are misunderstanding HYPP. When a N/H horse is bred to a N/N horse(which is what I will be doing with him) Their is still a 50% chance he will produce a N/H foal.

I will never breed him to another N/H horse because their is a 25% chance he will produce a H/H foal. He has a 25% chance of producing a N/N foal and a 50% chance of producing a N/H foal.

So breeding him sadly will not help in breeding out Hypp I wish it would. I wish he were N/N but he is not. Nothing I can do about that. All I can do is breed him to N/N mares and hope he produces N/N foals for me. However if they are N/N they are not as marketable to halter owners as if they are N/H. So either way Im kinda screwed in the deal. I get N/N foals like I want, they will be harder to sell. I get N/H foals like I don't care for, and they will sell quick and to show homes that will get them out and help get my stallions name out. So either way I will only get half of what I want. [Duh]

But I love him already and he is a very nice example of a halter stallion. Strait well conformed legs, a great hip, nice shoulder, lots of muscles, no posty hocks, the only thing he dosn't really have going for him right now is his back looks a little long but that is becuse he is in a growth spurt. When their hip is about 3 inches taller than their shoulders it looks like thier back is a tad long. But then it even out and shortens up and then we do it again lol

Hes a nice mover too, surprisingly. A lot of your halter horses are so bulky they look terrible when they move. He has not been being fitted on so he is at a very good weight. I am hoping he will put a little substance on my WP mare and keep her awesome movement. We shall see. She halters as well so if not we will still have a showable foal.

APHA has no regulations on HYPP heck they don't even require you test. But most of my foals out of him will be double registered apha and aqha like him. APHA and Pinto are currently not doing anything to push people away from having hypp horses. Aqha has it to where they no longer H/H horses but I do not have to worry about that as none of mine will be H/H.

I do not see them putting regulations on N/H horses anytime soon. They will loose A LOT of their market and foals already on the ground.

Another precaution I will be taking with him is that I will NOT breed him to grade mare's as I do not want someone not knowing what they are getting. I do not want someone passing off a N/H foal as a grade horse and it not being taken care of properly.

N/H horses are usually very manageable like my stud for instance, he has only had one attack and it was due to the owners negligence. He got into the alfalfa and got a overload of potassium. His attack was very mild. He just had very slight twitching on the top of his back. He was given a little Karo syrup and was perfectly fine. Some horses never have an attack. Some have them often. Some go 10 years without one the then have one.

I would say that 98% of the N/H horses I know are treated just like any horse. Nothing special just a horse. I have known one horse that did require medication for her attacks but she was H/H.

MMN

MissMotherNature is investing in the bloodlines that are going to make her successful in her discipline of choice. We all do it, we have a backyard full of barrel racing bred horses because that's what I show in. Halter horses are gorgeous! I would never own one as the Impressive bloodline doesnt interest me & what I choose to show in.

2010 we will more than likely be breeding our own stallion to our two mares. Mom would like to get a paint, so whether it be add a Paint mare to our broodmares or just breed one of our Quarter mares to a Paint, we're not sure yet.

Our stallion, Requesting A Streak.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/requesting+a+streak

P3090138.jpg

P7180851.jpg

Alley, no foals from her yet. She's the one I'd like to breed to a Palomino Paint in hopes for a buckskin like my Cowboy.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/alibis+gold

AlleySide.jpg

Penny, currently infoal to him for a 2010 foal (not in this pic) and will prob breed back for a 2011 foal

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/she+loves+money

NicePen.jpg

Yessssss MMN I know this. I guess I should be more explainatory about being a good steward. The old saying is that a stallion puts more into a foal than the mare but I really beleive that ANY SEX can do this. My reason is my Belgian mare has had two foals BOTH looked like their sires. She really don't put much into them. Reason for her to be more used for draft crosses then say a mare that puts that brood beam and wonky head of a draft on short legs. Children can either look like mom or look like their dad....everyone is different.

Now the % is 50/50 with N/H to N/N BUT if your stud is passing that N/H factor on to say all three of your foals and the other mares he was bred to, It makes the H factor dominant from him and he should be gelded OR just not bred anymore, only shown. Thats what I meant by a good steward. It takes a loss from a good breeder to improve the line plus to eliminate mutations. So I'm countin on you to do what is best when the time comes..... :winking: He might not even pass the mutation gene on at all.....

AD

Edited by Alaskandraft

Alaskin I agree with you completely. He will probably be sold after this season anyway. The only way I will consider keeping him is if most his foals are N/N. I am just after him for his bloodlines and conformation. More than likely I will be able to sell him for much more than I paid for him. He has brothers that look nothing like him selling for $25,000 that are only registered with one registry AQHA or APHA not both like he is.

MMN

We don't breed for show horses, but for working horses, so I don't have any points behind our stud but I have his work ethic and that of his get to speak for himself! :happy0203:

I think we have 2 outside mares lined up. Since we do live cover only, and we live a couple of hours from any major town, and I limit the number of mares he covers and screen the ones he does cover, he doesn't see a lot of "action" ... which I'm sure is not something he appreciates! But then, I don't believe in breeding based solely on any one criteria but several criteria and do so responsibly. Skipper will be 17 in 2010.

I *think* we may breed one or two of our mares. We want to take our old mare Lady in for a full physical and see if she is up to carrying a foal. She's a great mama, a very much hussy type when in season ... Skipper just looks at her and she comes in season! But she will be 27 in 2010 and I don't want to risk her health for a foal. She is an active mare, still rules the roost in the field, still kicks everyone away from the hay trough, still runs and bucks and not showing signs of arthritis. She is getting sway backed and it's more prominent in the winter when she's not as active but I think she's in fine shape for her age, her size and the fact she's had 13 pregnancies, with just 1 slipped foal when she colicked. But I will let the Vet, and Lady, tell me if she'll be OK. She is the dam of my colt Jake, who will be 5 in 2010. It would be wonderful to have a full sibling to him so my husband will quit trying to take Jake from me!

We may also breed Snickers, who is Lady's daughter and Jake's 1/2 sister. She is officially "our" horse now and is a well bred, well trained, nicely built, sooty buckskin mare. She has points in WP, has some cow potential and will be 12 in 2010. She's had 1 foal but lost it not long after it was born to a nasty bout with e-coli 4 years ago.

This is Snickers:

053109Snickers10.jpg

062809Snickers04.jpg

This is Lady at 22, with Jake when he was about a week or so old:

050105Jake14.jpg

And this is Skipper:

010103Skipper02.jpg

082806Skipper01-1.jpg

0903Skipper02-1.jpg

042504Skipper04.jpg

042504Skipper05-1.jpg

Right now I'm only thinking of breeding 1 of my mares this year.. I would really like one more foal out of our mare Molly. She is a finished heading horse, was leased for college rodeo, and has won money in barrels and poles. We have a coming 4 yr old filly out of her and I can't sell her until I have another one on the ground. And I have one mare foaling in Jan, another in March, then outside mares start to arrive in January.

This is Molly roping this summer.

2009_0621ridingroping0054.jpg

Her coming four year old filly. After a day of working at the feed lot.

2009_1020Omahazoo20090058.jpg

Her coming two year old colt. He's sold and will be going to a new his new stable.

2009_0718Dollar0026.jpg

And this is the stud she is getting bred to. Jr is a finished heading & heel horse. We are hoping to have him finished in calf roping the beginning for this summer, and continue his training in barrels.

Please excuse his winter wollies.

2009_1205JrPicts090004-a.jpg

Roping & Getting Down & Dirty

2009_0930ropingatdwaynes0013.jpg

Jr Calf Roping

2009_0708Julyof4th20090020.jpg

First time running the cans. Can't wait to see what this year brings.

2009_0727runningbarrels0076.jpg

Gawd I love Jr! Mmmm ... him and our newly acquired girl Snickers would make a nice match!

Winter woolies??? HAHAHAHA! That top picture of our stud is winter woolies! Jr looks awesome!

I wish we would have had the time and the money when we first got Skipper to continue with his roping career ... he loves to track a cow and really rates them well. He spends his winters with the bull in his pen and it keeps them both in shape! :happy0203: We put the weanlings in the pen next to his and he has fun doing "fence work" with them and when we have to sort them, we do it in his corral and he loves to help! He'll stand quietly in the corner and wait and watch. Then we will tell him to "get those cows in the pen Skipper" and he happily obliges! Someday, I need to have someone else here with a camera to shoot some pictures and video of it. I can't because I'm too busy sorting!

Andi - Thanks for liking Jr. He is quite the character once you get to know him. I agree that he and Snickers would make a good match. If Jr doesn't have his winter blancket on and isn't inthe barn his gets a very thick winter coat. He is just spoiled. We had our power out of two days b/c of the worse blizzard in over 25 yrs. He didn't know it was snowing.

I totally understand about how hard it is to come up with the $$$ to get the stud in roping. I've told everyone I know, if my hubby wasn't a roper and had started all of our horses and won money off of them we would have never been able to show Jr. With hubby doing all the training it saved us the money to take him out and show him. But we don't only show jr we use him all spring at the brandings and to check pastures. He is my main mount and hubby is riding the young ones getting some miles on them.

This is hubby and Jr roping calves

100_3410.jpg

Edited by Duns of Impact

Yeah, most of the ranches here use their studs on the ranch too. And *everyone* wants to go to the brandings because *everyone* wants to rope! I can't rope to save my life and now with my shoulder problems, trying even hurts. My husband hasn't roped off a horse in 30 years so we just don't. I would have loved to have the money to have some ranch use him in the spring for roping and pay someone to show him locally even but that's OK. I've found that standing for outside mares is not something I enjoy. Skipper has a wonderful temperament, and even though he doesn't get handled much (but gets attention daily), he is awesome for hand breeding. The mares however ... UGH! Most of them are such a PITA to handle and I'm the one handling the mares.

Now my husband has RSD from the injury he had 3 years ago at work. He started off with it in 1 foot and in the last couple of months, it's spread to both feet. Being in pain a lot makes even wanting to ride hard, so lately I have been doing the majority of the riding. After a bad fall off a witch of a horse, it's been a long road back for me too, between pain and lack of confidence. So, sadly, the horse's and their further advancement takes a back seat! But I am getting better and things are looking up, so that's a good thing!

I have 2 people who are interested in a foal out of our old mare Lady (which would be my colts full sibling) and out of our new mare Snickers. If Lady is capable of safely carrying a foal, this will be the last year we can with her ... she will be 27 next year, so 28 when she foals. That makes me nervous but I've seen wild horses in their 20's come in pregnant with a foal at their side so I think Lady will be fine. But we'll see what the vet says.

Our neighbor has the means and the facilities to do AI; I think our only issue here is we are so far away from everywhere that shipped semen doesn't do well. I'll ask her about it though and see what my husband says about an outcross with Snickers and Jr. If we got a filly out of the breeding, it would be completely unrelated to Skipper and would compliment his lines nicely ... hmmm ... scheming here ... :happy0203:

Andi - The places we go to brandings you have to earn the right to rope and start at the bottom and work your way up. I must say mugging is the worse job I have ever done. I hate it! LOL! But I earned the respect of the ranch owners after coming back to get the crap kicked out of me, plus I am one of the few women that will mug. Now they let me go out and rope, but like you I'm not very good. I love to rope and hubby wants me to practice more, but with the kids my roping has taken a back seat.

I hear you on the mares. It can get interesting to say the least.

I'm so sorry about your husband and him being in so much pain. I'm sure he misses riding and would enjoy being with the horses more. I understand the lack of confidence but mine is due to my wieght. I was very heavy and was very conscience about people watching me ride. But I have been working hard over the last year at trying to loose the wieght and it is coming off slow but sure.

A very good friend of ours keeps breeding her older mare that is 25. The vet says her age has nothing to do with her health, and said as long as she is in good condition inside and out that seh can continue to breed her. She has some awesome babies and is a good mother.

When shipping semen I use our repro vet in Lincoln, and she is great. I like her b/c she will straight up tell you the truth no tip toeing around. Just like you I have to travel to her... she is about an hour and half away. But she is the best, plus she is great with Jr.

well.. i am undescided on breeding my mares.. i cant descide which is the smarter one to breed and keep, or sell being my gelding is getting his one way trip out here in the next few weeks.. but im leaning towards my paint mare to breed.

Pewee, coming 10 yo that i bred and raised out of my old WP mare. sire and dam are multiple futurity winners. shes an amazing mover, and structurally very correct. has raised some money earning roping fillys(that could easily halter) for my sister. shes a cow eating machine... i still have a couple months to descide wether i want as shire sport horse, or to go the cowpoy/halterish route.

her as a baby-

pewee008.jpg

first "show" as a 2yo, with 30-40 days, just to get her out.

pewee010.jpg

and this fall, after going back to work.... (shes yawning, lol)

1258468554.jpg

Equi,

She sure is a pretty mare! If I were you I would breed her for a cow/halter horse since thats what she really is. Her cannons are just too short for a Shire X. You stand a BIG chance of getting that draft body on those tiny short legs. When I decided to breed my draft mare to a lighter horse, I studied hard of what other people were getting with certain breeds. What I needed for Deb was a stallion with a long cannon with some decent bone and a large foot. so I chose this guy...Color for me was an option and to tell the truth I was expecting a dang BAY!

Cowboy/16.2 hands (I hate Camera phones!)

Cowboy3.jpg

Deb with winter woolies/17.2 hands

007.jpg

The result of these two /Angel with winter woolies 4 and a half years old./16.2 hands

002.jpg

Backside of Deb and Angel

Questrear002-1.jpg

Another thing you get is hybrid vigor. Angel grew super fast and we had to be extra careful about her joints. She was 15.1 as a yearling.

I almost went for this stallion which I used on my paint and quarter mare, but his height and cannon was too short.

Sonny

004.jpg

Another thing, If you have ever helped pull big foals from a regular breeding, You would not like the size you get from a draft out of a small mare! 120 lbs and 42 inches at the shoulder is what Angel was. Deb could handle that. I know of other draft crosses out of small mares that were bigger. :twitch:

AD

Equi - She is a pretty paint.

AD - Bring out the big girls. LOL!

Well plans may have changed. A barrel racer may want to lease Molly for the rodeo season next year. Her mare is out b/c of an injury and she is looking at buying a 4 yr old but it won't be ready to race this year, and she doean't want to sit the season out. She has seen Molly run and thinks they would be a good match. We will just see how this all pans out, and see if the click as a team. If she does go on the circiut I'm not going to breed her this year.

Alaskan- ya know, i hadn't even thought that far into the shire sport horse thing.. LOL.. [Duh] i should know better! lol.. might just have to talk the boss into letting me lease one of his shire mares.. it'd probably cost me a small fortune, but it'd be worth it. their top of the line, and quite a few are imported, and getting nothing done with them because hes so busy.. hmmmm.... then i wont have to worry about breeding my OWN horse.. hmmm.. im definatly gonna think on that.. :D

EQui,

Lease for a foal or dressage??? Does he have all blacks with whites or does he have splashed white ones....If you want to breed, get a homozygous paint with good Tb lines or one of those sabino TB's...Doesn't True Colours have one? Measure the front and rear cannon to get the right mix for crossing...A stud that passes himself off and a draft mare that don't. Cowboy threw those long legs on all his foals no matter how short the mare was...Deb's first foal was a Belinger(Haflinger x Belgian) Who actualy is short just like a Halfinger with a thicker body. So I figured she didn't put too much into them.

I DID spend lots of time trying to figure this cross over since your basically mixing apples and crab apples..(one bigger than the other) I DO NOT like crosses with Morgans, appys, quarter horses, stumpy paints, or short TB's with drafts...they get too close to the draft side of things...Its in the cannon length.

We are happy with how Angel came out. Her throat latch is a bit thicker than I like , and her neck is a bit short, but she is tall and strong and moves very lightly on her feet. She has the agility of a quarter horse, with the strength of a much larger horse. Her bone is just right with it being inbetween a quarter and her momma. Feet big enough to support her...She was designed for my husband that is close 295 lbs....Her body will still fit a full quarter bar saddle. Her head will fit a Hancock bred size bridle...She is a sweet girl and always willing to learn things....

Thanks for letting me ramble! :ashamed0002:

AD

Now the % is 50/50 with N/H to N/N BUT if your stud is passing that N/H factor on to say all three of your foals and the other mares he was bred to, It makes the H factor dominant from him and he should be gelded OR just not bred anymore, only shown. Thats what I meant by a good steward. It takes a loss from a good breeder to improve the line plus to eliminate mutations. So I'm countin on you to do what is best when the time comes..... :winking: He might not even pass the mutation gene on at all.....

AD

Actually, that is a common misconception that is totally incorrect. Regardless of how many previous N/H foals he has thrown, with every breeding his chances of throwing the 'H' gene are exactly 50%. There is no way either gene can be considered 'dominant' - that is a genetic term that doesn't apply. With every breeding, there is a 50-50 chance of inheriting one gene or the other.

That being said, my mare "Spare Me The Details" -

tayjan34hustroy2005.jpg

is being bred to:

11.jpg

Hot Diggity Joe. She was bred to him 2 years ago and had an awesome colt this past March, but I lost him at 30 days [Me Cry]