Sign in to follow this  
jjinks

Who Is Breeding In 2010?

Here's hoping you get to more than 30 days from the next one. Losing a foal, especially with that kind of investment in them is such a tradgedy. I hope you get that fabulous mover that your hopin!

~stars

Here's hoping you get to more than 30 days from the next one. Losing a foal, especially with that kind of investment in them is such a tradgedy. I hope you get that fabulous mover that your hopin!

~stars

Thanks! It was a terrible time...spent $7,000 for emergency surgery and still lost the colt...heartbreaking. Breeding isn't for the faint of heart! I am the eternal optimist...try, try again!

So far, Taylor is doing well. She is currently bred to Thanks For Com En, a paint/TB HUS stallion. Her foal will be double registered paint and appendix quarter horse. I am not getting excited. I have lost the last two foals I bred, so I am feeling a bit jaded and pessimistic. This is the first time in a LONG time that I have two horses that are senior horses (age 6 and over) with NO junior horse coming up the ranks. My last foal that made it was Corky - born in 2004! It's depressing...

No kidding? That is a bout of horrible luck thats for sure. The only thing you can do is hope for the best, and try not to be too jaded. You know there are lots of people here who are rootin for ya to have that healthy happy little foal.

~stars

Anymore people breeding this year??

I decided I am going to hold off on breeding Candy this year and will work on riding her instead of trying to find a different horse to ride while my 2 main horses are being bred. So I'll be able to keep myself busy. I still plan on breeding her... just not for another year or so!!

I'm still on the fence. I'll have two youngsters to bring up. That in itself is expensive to do right by the horse. I could still use the broodmare for showmanship this coming fall and winter and probably even do some light riding and show horsemanship and equitation depending upon her level of tolerance physically of riding. Being a broodmare has agreed with her physically. She's quiet enough that I could haul to a couple of local indoors to ride occasionally and then go to an occasional show. I could try to do a broodmare lease with her, too. I may offer that in the next few weeks, but any broodmare lease she'd have to stay here. I wouldn't let her off of my farm except for going to my reproductive vet's. A lot of people don't do breeding like I do because of the cost -- the extra money spent is worth it for me, because I know they take extraordinary care of the broodmares and babies at the vet I use and they are good enough at what they do that they'll do everything possible medically to get her in foal. But, it is probably the most expensive way to do the breeding other than embryo transfer.

Add me to the "I Love Snickers" group!!!

Gorgeous mare - love the shoulder, neck and head on that girl and she looks so beautifully balanced as well!

Nice mare - 100% deserves to be a broodmare and pass her stellar traits on, IMO ...

True Colors, I like the palomino mare you are buying back. I worked on a farm after high school that bred several Glitter Please horses. El Dorado is from there. (He's standing in Canada now).

CR, your mare is simply lovely, as I'm sure you're aware, lol. I've never shown HUS myself, but I enjoy watching them and nothing beats the look of a long, sweepy stride. Can't wait to see the result of those two!

Well I finally decided for sure and got the breeding booked, so I will now unveil my 2010 breeding plans, lol. I am breeding Annie to Peeka Pep for a 2011 foal. I would absolutely love to get a beautiful blue roan filly from this cross, but above all else I am hoping for a cutter. Also hoping it doesn't get the Royal Blue Boon head, lol. I know I am taking a risk here -Annie and Peeka Pep both have okay heads, but neither are what I would call refined. But breeding is always a gamble, right? Anyway, Annie is starting to come into heat, so hopefully we will be ordering semen and breeding this week! Annie is eleven, and this will be her second foal -her first was Taz (Premium Skit) a 2007 red dun gelding.

A few pictures of Annie, her pedigree can be seen here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/skits+princess+anne

Annie yesterday -she always does this really attractive patchy shedding.

Annieright3-20-10.jpg

In January with her full winter woolies.

Annietrot1-10-10.jpg

A summer picture from couple years ago.

AnnieBrynatrotleft5-15-08.jpg

They are both lovely horses Bryna. I know the right stallion was a difficut descision for you and I hope you get exactly what you are looking for! I don't really see how you could go wrong here but good luck anyway!

ETA: If you don't like the foal/s head, let me know and I will hide it for you! I never liked refined heads anyway, I like those big wonky looking mule heads even on my horses! Gives them character! [ROTFL]

Edited by equinitis

I decided to breed my mare this year. I bred her back to the same stallion. IM hopeing for a stud colt but definatly not getting my hopes up to high. the filly from that cross last year is doing good and has days she wants to be a love and day i want to strangle her but its ok shes a doll once you catch her and she lets me do anything to her so shes gentle just a brat when it comes to catching.

Bryna- can't wait to see that cross! such a pretty stallion, I hope you get your blue roan! thats what I want! lol

I am not breeding this year but I thought I would stop by this post and wish all of you luck with the breeding and foaling season! I love this time of year. So exciting!

And to CoolRabbit, I had bad luck with foals, too. I bred my mare Goldie in 2003 and her colt was stillborn in 2004 at full-term. Then I re-bred her to a different stallion in 2005 and her 2006 filly died at 5 days old from heat prostration after being at the vet clinic from a day old. It was devastating! I decided Goldie could not physically have a healthy foal after losing not one but TWO foals. I did have a sort of happy ending, though, because I ended up buying a Quarter Horse mare who was 10 months pregnant in 2008 and she had a healthy, perfect filly a month later! That filly is now almost 2 years old and doing wonderful!

Lexi- I think you got the perfect filly after losing 2 of Goldies!! :)

Update for me: I am NOT breeding Sheba as she colics sometimes and I do not want to risk losing her by getting her bred.

I am still thinking about breeding Candy tho, but I am still on the fence and I have a month to figure out what I'm going to do. We are still breeding the miniature pony but we are not breeding Lady so we will be having a mini mule and possibly ONE foal.

BabiGirl, sounds like a really wise decision. Foaling out an already colic prone mare could be a very tough road to take. What will your boyfreind do with the mini mule -cart? Sounds adorable! My mom had a freind back when she lived in AK who had all these teams of mules with wagons, carts, sleighs, etc. He had a team of eight gray percheron mules, a team of buckskin mules and a team of mini mules.

Equinitis, thanks! LOL, I was having such a hard time choosing, but when I mentioned Peeka Pep to my trainer, he said he has been hearing some really good things about the Peeka Pep babies through to grapevine. One of his othe clients is also breeding a mare to Peeka Pep this year, so I guess he will be able to compare and have a selection in three years. That along with the roan color and the fact that I really like the way he is built decided me. Of course a good horse is never a bad color, but when/if it comes time to sell, it is certainly easier to sell a colored one.

Anyway, follicle check is scheduled for tomorrow, so cross your fingers that I guessed the timing right and we can order semen!

oh he's just going to have one for a pet! lol. I can't wait till it's born, it's going to be sooooo cute!! and thank you, I REALLY am/was devastated about it because I reallllllly wanted a piece of her in a foal, but I'm not going to take the chance in losing her. just too risky, so I got myself a project (Promise) to keep me busy and keep my mind off things and maybe Promise will be my new barrel/pole horse when I have to retire Sheba.

GOOD LUCK!!!! I hope it's time so you can get your little foal muffin in the oven!!! hehe

this is Dusty Sierra... aka Sierra she will be going to get bred in a week or so.

l_3ffa51e2b1ca47ce98b58aebce139f8f.jpg

her only foal: he's a yearling

l_4a5931c6a78a41e29032fe2fcd9e9a30.jpg

Edited by BabiGirl90

Im breeding my mare this spring :) So far she has been really difficult and completely racked up the bills, but she was finally bred yesterday. Everyone cross your fingers that she carries full term! Im breeding for my next event horse.

The mare:

aie4.jpg

va.jpg

The stallion:

cath-1.jpg

We just bred our mares last week, now to just wait and see.

Our AQHA Mare Miseclaneous is bred to The Krymsun Kruzer who is bred by our good friends so we are really looking forward to that

and our other AQHA mare Reckon Im Radical is bred back to Lazy Loper again this year.

Miscelaneous Missile had a really nice red roan filly this year out of face it im good and Reckon I'm radical had a gorgeous colt out of lazy loper we are really proud of!

Good luck to everyone breeding this year!!!!

Well I though I would post an update on the Breeding so far for this year:

All three are going to be breed or already are in foal.

Val in the forground (no white), CB is the one with the star. Mini is in the back, no white.

CB is about 45 days in foal. [Yay]

Mini is due to come back into heat this week, so we shale see if she is in foal or not. (finger crossed!)

Val we attempted to Hand breed and she was terriable! She kicked Royal and got him good. Poor guy! So I hope we can get her re breed, but at this point I'm really not sure. Royal won't AI consitantly yet so I don't know if we can get it done or not. We will try our hardest.

29764_897635534520_48922377_51174804_1880924_n.jpg

and lastely Abby will be re breed. Hopefully she catches on her first go around. We won't have a lot of time to get it right.

31714_896486881430_48922377_51099730_7116072_n.jpg

All go to Royal Invitation

9726_818869502280_48922377_47770250_1116037_n.jpg

Sierra is at the stud as we speak!!! may be taking Candy this month too as well!!

Miss Sierra:

32105_385738568518_500748518_3997393_7612891_n.jpg

and the hopefully proud Papa: Henry

35282_402580053518_500748518_4432083_1755242_n.jpg

Candy:

30155_389927088518_500748518_4100727_1590008_n.jpg

Candy with Romeo RIP

25261_320488263518_500748518_3505887_266657_n.jpg

and the stud she will be bred to: Doc

32105_386025513518_500748518_4002611_7165862_n.jpg

My IALHA mare Arrow Sophie is confirmed in foal to my APHA stallion Smoke's Ace. This is both horses first foal and I hope it is a filly as this is my next serious show horse.

Momma

pedigree

2865884210045431412S600x600Q85.jpg

2995633150045431412S600x600Q85.jpg

Daddy

pedigree

2065414900045431412S600x600Q85.jpg

I am hoping for a little more bling and refinement than momma but I love her bone. Both are very athletic and have wonderful personalities. Even though daddy is heavily cow bred and he is a wonderful cow horse he is also very good at eventing and hunters, this boy can JUMP

Edited by cripplecreekfrm