Sign in to follow this  
OTTB-LUVER

North American Spotted Haflingers?

I don't understand the registry all that much. Can a NASH registered horse breed with a NASH registered horse and the resulting foal be registered with NASH? But what if the foal is solid? Then registration goes out the window because of lack of color? I know there are other color registries out there, but it seems this one wants to establish a breed, not a color. I could be wrong. They are cute, but there are already so many driving type horse breeds around that I don't see the need for another. Heck, if wanted the pinto pattern I would just get a pair of paints of spotted drafts!

I think the colt in the picture mrs posted was listed as 5 months old.

My question is WHY they would use a urination photo on the main website and as a for sale photo?

lol... it was obviously a joke... 'can also be used as a outdoor fountain'...lol

I agree with the rest of you, sure are overpriced mutts... and we have enough of them already.

I don't understand the registry all that much. Can a NASH registered horse breed with a NASH registered horse and the resulting foal be registered with NASH? But what if the foal is solid? Then registration goes out the window because of lack of color? I know there are other color registries out there, but it seems this one wants to establish a breed, not a color. I could be wrong. They are cute, but there are already so many driving type horse breeds around that I don't see the need for another. Heck, if wanted the pinto pattern I would just get a pair of paints of spotted drafts!

I think the colt in the picture mrs posted was listed as 5 months old.

That's the thing...until a cross breeds true, meaning a NASH bred to a NASH results in yet another NASH (which will take decades of very careful breeding) THEY ARE NOT A BREED. They are just a mutt, a cross, nothing more or less.

Bumper

I also see a lot of very traditional attire in those pictures. Is this an Amish thing or something?

I thot that too...Amish or Mennonite. Maybe because so much of thier farm land is being developed they decided to try and make money some other way?

And what is with the 5 mo old colt being schooled as a jumper???????

Edited by Itchysmom

I am so guilty. I am waiting to see their foundation studs. The first gen full NASH studs. Curiosity has made me check in every now and then. I have to say that filly number two is really pretty. Not sure if they are taking off yet, but figured I would watch and see what kind of babies they were producing. No, I wont be rushing out to buy me a NASH horse.

http://www.nash2006.com/fillys.htm

Edited by Storygurl

well there getting a LOT of hype now...they were in one of the mags this month too! I just wonder if the "dutch" in these web site are the ONLY ones that are doing it? There also really into breeding dogs...remember puppy mill's? its just a shame....we already have "1/4 ponys"!what is the big deal on these? and I wonder if they keep that "Bomb-proof" personalty after crossing with a "high strung" 1/4 or paint? I think not....

Funny.....most of the folks I know that have what are traditionally thought of as "high strung" horses (ones like Arabs, TB's some others) tend to think of my QH's and Paints as pretty mellow! Certainly the people I've sold to that have kids riding them think they are pretty laid back...and these are ones bred for cutting/reining/reined cowhorse and things like ranch work. And my QH's....they are qualified for QuarterPony registration on size alone (since they are already AQHA)...and for foundation QH registration on pedigree....and a couple of them for buckskin registration based on color...sure makes a wider market for me.

I was prepared to be skeptical, but I freely admit that I am very drawn to these horses, and I have never really felt that way about Paints. But I love Halflingers, used to own one. I would love to have the solidness of a draft-type Haflinger, the height of a saddle horse, and the color of Paint.

like the dogs they cross breed two purebreds who by the way were achieved from many years of standardization, cross them and get a mutt and sell them for more than the parents cost a peice. people are something else.

RRRR

This subject cracks me up. My sis-in-law bought two Boggles (beagle and boston terrier if I remember right) and paid like $800 for each dog with the intent to breed them. I kept poking fun (good-naturedly) at her saying they were mutts. She ended up getting irate so I just don't mention it anymore. A mutt is a mutt is a mutt, I think it's too bad people get suckered into paying a ton of money for one. They can make the best pets ever, but personally I wouldn't pay that kind of money, I'll go to the shelter and get a good mutt for cheap, and not promote unneccessary breeding.

I'm the first to say my Spotted Draft is a mutt. Yes, he's registered but it's a new registry and the breed is in the development stages. Non-registered Percheron mama and registered Paint sire = mutt.

Oh well, to each his own.

I'm the first to say my Spotted Draft is a mutt. Yes, he's registered but it's a new registry and the breed is in the development stages. Non-registered Percheron mama and registered Paint sire = mutt.

Oh well, to each his own.

I too own a spotted draft mutt that is registered. Actually when I first saw this post I thought they were crossing North American Spotted Drafts with Haflingers. I had a mental image of a short, thick cross between the two.

From what I've read almost all the Warmblood Breeds are mutts as well...spotted WB or WB of Color or stallions/mares listed with multiple registries but which change their name every time they change an owner and registration isn't necessary to show...so why register?

From what I've read almost all the Warmblood Breeds are mutts as well...

I agree; if we want to take that thought even further then a goodly number of our modern breeds are mutts. How many of our breeds have their origins in Spanish mustangs, Arabs, barbs, etc. I speculate that nearly every breed of horse we currently ride started as a mutt somewhere down the line.

What I don't agree with is crossing them just willy-nilly and for no reason. If there is a need that is not met in another breed then thoughtful crosses can be made to meet that need. I guess thoughtful is the operative word, here.

On a related note my dog was an "oops" dog, a cross between a Jack Russel Terrier and a Corgi, and he has been the most awesome dog. The two breeds really evened each other out, for the most part. I got him from a friend who also had his full sister. SHE liked the cross so much that she made her own cross, kept a good male from the litter and successfully bred litters for several years. Everyone who has ever had one loved them.

But the "designer dog/horse" mindset is a dangerous one. Again, thoughtful is the key concept.

I too own a spotted draft mutt that is registered. Actually when I first saw this post I thought they were crossing North American Spotted Drafts with Haflingers. I had a mental image of a short, thick cross between the two.

Oh... that could be too cute!

Guys, I work with NASH horses almost every day. They're great horses! A lot of them have the good-natured haflinger temper, but the giddy-up of the paint lol! (I also work with a lot of haflingers, and they tend to be lazy under saddle XD) Even if you think they aren't the prettiest horses, they are still awesome horses. So, i mean, don't jump to conclusions.

So why drag up a long-time dead and buried post to say so?

I had read about this when it just started up. Even talked to the the man that started it because I was really liking some of the foals and the paint stallions they were using. I was chatting with a lady about them yesterday at the show and got a wild hair and checked the website. And I seen this post so figured, why start another one lol.

4th picture down looks like a very fine horse.

http://www.nash2006.com/main.htm

What is this?

"2001 tricolor bay alpha homozygous tobiano stallion."

The horse is bay and, apparently, tobiano. I have no idea what tricolor or alpha have to do with it? Credence is ruined by this stuff.

On 6/6/2017 at 3:27 PM, kdrown said:

What is this?

"2001 tricolor bay alpha homozygous tobiano stallion."

The horse is bay and, apparently, tobiano. I have no idea what tricolor or alpha have to do with it? Credence is ruined by this stuff.

I think they meant APHA. Bay paints are commonly called tri-colored because they will have the bay, black and white. I have seen it described that way plenty of times. However I personally would not. I would just say Homozygous Bay tobiano. But sometimes the white comes up high enough to not show the black on the legs