canterqueen

Western Show Wear

I'm just getting in to showing and would like some advice on what type of hat to purchase? I see all of the 4x and 1x and 20x and just don't know which one would be best without breaking the bank. What hat shape is the current trend? And what type of boot do you wear -- western? Roper?

Any websites I can go to and get some ideas? I plan on attending some local shows first, but I'd like to get some things purchased now with my Christmas money.

Thanks for the help!

Hi and welcome!

I show AQHA in Michigan and I LOVE giving advice on it! lol.

Buy the most XX's you can afford, HOWEVER I have a crummy 2x black hat that I have had forever and it still looks wonderful. Here is why, get it shaped by someone good, and get the quarter horse crease, it is flat across the front, and goes up steeply at the temples. Very sharp.

To keep a cheap hat looking nice I do this, get it shaped, buy a carrier for it and never, ever ever leave it in an unheated or un air conditioned space. When I come home from a show, I leave my car packed and walk in the house with my purse and my hat can! lol.

broad square-toed, leather sole boots are very fashionable right now BUT ropers are very very very acceptable and much cheaper too. :winking:

go to hobby horse to get some ideas on inexpensive, entry level clothing, but there is plenty of high end stuff out there too! pm me if you would like some specific sites. Have fun!

I buy a lot of my stuff off of eBay to save some money or have a friend make clothes for us. If you are handy at sewing, look at goodwill for Jackets and then buy appliques to decorate them. Same for shirts. I bought a great pair of showmanship pants at goodwill for less then $5 and they look just as good as the $40 Hobby Horse pants. Black is basic but you want to make your horse stand out so go with something that doesn't match your horses color. These are just my opinions.

Have fun!!

yea Hobby horse has a really neat site with a color wheel on what color (s)you should where to best Compliment your horse its really cool! But really the online places,like Horseloverz,horsewarehouse, have pleanty of entry level stuff pretty cheep,and if you GOOGLE "Western Show Clothes" lots of sites pop up! happy shopping! [Yay]