Sign in to follow this  
betsyschaller

Bling Tack

Ok, so I bought a bridle about a year ago already made and now I think i'm finally ready to give the whole blinging out my own tack thing a go! So my question is I have priced out all of my items needed and it is about 120 to 150 depending on how fancy I go. So what i'm interested in is how much everyone else put into there piece. I'm working to do a breast collar. The equipment I need to purchase is the breast collar glue my conchos and rhinestones. I don't think I should need anything else but let me know if theres something missing from my list! Also if you are not comfortable putting your money spend just send me pm! Thanks to all who respond.

hummm.... I don't think I'd go for the glue on stuff....I'd deff. do a Chicago Screw Crystals,there more money but the glue on ones tend ot fall off and you don't want to leave a trail of BLING! [shocked]there a quite a few web sites that carry them so shop around! there are still some good after xmas preices and shipping! good luck!

Edited by honeysmom

Thanks for the replys everyone... I was told by someone else that glue would work but I would definitely prefer the screw on ones... The problem is I haven't ran across any so do you have any sites I can check out to point me in the right direction? Thanks again for the replies!

It means you place a crystal in a rim place it on the leather and use rim setting tools at the appropriate size to go over the rim and use a mallet to set it in the leather to crimp on ther other side to hold it in place. Here is a pic of a rim and the tools I use and use a good solid mallet to wack it.

newsets010.jpg

newsets011.jpg

newsets012.jpg

and you got to find Xtra long leg prongs or it won't go through, and you tap them lightly untill they start going in than you can wack them otherwise you will bend the legs right away. Tandy sells the tools, And I have only found 1 place that sells teh xtra long legged ones

Rodeo for life I have one more question... I was searching on the tandy site and I was wondering what exactly your set was called and also what the only site you found was that had the extra long prong. I was lucky enough to get a nice breast collar for this project off of ebay the other night so I'm ready to get all the other products I need... and so do I need to by rimmed rhinestones or just plain if I buy the extra long rims.

here is step by step how I rim set maybe pics will help

step one place the crystal on the leather where you want it

newsets013.jpg

place the rim on top of it

newsets014.jpg

PLace the rim setter on the rim

newsets015.jpg

hammer it down by tapping at first so not to bend the rim legs and once half way in hit it harder until the legs are through and folded

end result:

newsets016.jpg

Hope that helps

What is the "typical" size of rim to get? Like I know for the gems I used to use would be 7mm but I know what that would be in "ss".

ETA: Nevermind, I found my answer on the other site you recommended on "Tamis Place" :smile:

Edited by xcanchaserchicx

Thank you so much you have been a great help rodeo for life... I will definiatly post pictures when I get this done but it could be a while with school and everything wish me luck!

I know this is an old topic but I have a question. I would really like to make my own bling tack but i'm having trouble find the setter for the rims.

I'm looking at Tandy's Leather and this is the only one I see, it's the synthetic rivet setting kit item no. 3462-00. Is that the right one? I'm wanting to use size 30ss crystals.

Thanks for any help.