tbs4life2000

Winter Training

Hello, we just came back to pa and over the past couple of weeks winter has hit with windchills below 0 and lots of snow. We do not have an indoor areana to use unfortunately, we have a large lack of boarding facilities in this area.

My questions is that when the temperature is too low to safely work your horse or when the snow is too deep making slick ground do you have any suggestions on what we can work on in hand that would improve our riding. My mare is willing but still green broke. she is extremely stiff and dont turn well and to boot due to her not having regular training she is still a little lacking in muscle in her hindquarters(my new years resolution is to ride her and spend more time with her)

Im in WI and have always been in the same situation. NO indoor, cold weather and icy ground. I always spent the winter working on showmanship. I don't know what you show, or if you are even interested in showmanship, but I have found that teaching a horse to move of your body with showmanship helps any horse, even if you don't show in the discipline.

you could work on natural horsemanship and lots of stretches. it will help improve the bond with your horse and in general develop a higher level of respect. because of this once you do get back on and start training again, it wont be such a slow process because you worked with from the ground up. I am speaking from experience, working with a trainer who believes a lot in natural horsemanship i have seen the results they have on your horse and as a team.

Is she safe to ride bareback?

You can do a lot of bending and flexing and working on suppleness at the walk - and bareback is warmer in the winter :)