kscowgirl_11

Hc Mommies And Mommies To Be.. V6

I have chosen not to breastfeed. I know many moms will think that it is selfish of me, but I just do not have the time to bf and pump. I work 6:30 or 7:30 in the morning until 5 and again at 7 pm-11pm four days a week during the summer. The short time in between is not really adequate enough for me. Also, less than two months after birth I will be leaving for my annual 2 week guard camp. I certainly will not be able to pump during that two weeks nor will my baby be able to come along with me. It is just not a feasible thing for me to do this time around.

I have chosen not to breastfeed. I know many moms will think that it is selfish of me, but I just do not have the time to bf and pump. I work 6:30 or 7:30 in the morning until 5 and again at 7 pm-11pm four days a week during the summer. The short time in between is not really adequate enough for me. Also, less than two months after birth I will be leaving for my annual 2 week guard camp. I certainly will not be able to pump during that two weeks nor will my baby be able to come along with me. It is just not a feasible thing for me to do this time around.

I would hope that people won't judge you and think you're selfish! You need to do what's best for you and the baby. If it doesn't work with your schedule and you know it from the beginning you're not being selfish. You're planning ahead and being realistic with your situation. Don't feel selfish!

SD, don't feel bad for not BF. No one is going to jusdge you or think you are selfish. I'm a SAHM so for my it is easier to BF. But you work and have Guard so that is understandable that it won't be easier for you. Now I know hubby was able to get out of his 2 week summer camp because of the birth of our daughter. And since I had a c-section he even got to get out of SRP for deployment. They just delayed it. You might want to look into that all we needed was a dr's note and it was taken care of. My best friend tried to BF and it just didn't work out for her with her toddler. I know that every woman is different and every situation is different. So no judgement here.

I too cloth diaper & love it! I find it much easier than disposals. I also love my travel wet bag for wet clothes, bibs etc. I couldn't live without it. My son also has never had a diaper rash!

brl-I really want to go to my summer camp this year. We have been working for several years to go to this place and do this particular training. Plus I have signed up for additional firefighter training during the summer camp that I really hope to get into. I did ask about how much maternity leave I can take to see if I could potentially skip the 2 week training. We get 6 weeks after birth. That puts me into the week BEFORE we leave (if I deliver on my due date). So, it wouldn't make much sense for me to try to get out of it. Especially when I have been looking forward to it this year. :happy0203: My parents are going to watch the LO for the 2-week period so hubby doesn't have to worry about daycare either, so we already have it all figured out.

I know alot of mothers will stand by my decision, but I cannot believe how many women have said to my face that they think all women should attempt to breastfeed no matter the circumstances. I generally just ignore them as I feel it is a personal decision.

I know alot of mothers will stand by my decision, but I cannot believe how many women have said to my face that they think all women should attempt to breastfeed no matter the circumstances. I generally just ignore them as I feel it is a personal decision.

I too feel that it is a personal decision and should be made with your lifestyle in mind. For me it was something I really wanted to try and make work, even though no one else in my family has breastfed they have been pretty supportive.

I'm like you RF. No one in my family had BF or even attempted. My mom told me I wouldn't be able to do it, it would be hard and the list went on. My dad was indifferent about it except to say that he feels uncomfortable if I try to feed her in the same room. My answee to that was he can leave the room then.

Kowgrl, what cloth diapers do you use? Just wondering. My daytime diapers are Smartipants and my nighttime diapers are BSRB's. BSRB's are Bagshot Row Bamboo and they are SUPER absorbant! Kindra can wear them all night and they are barely damp. The natural bamboo fibers are great and I'm glad I found them. They are a little more expensive but I only have 4 of them right now but ploan on having just a few more.

SD, I understand what you are saying. My husband had already done a 2 week class and was gonna be leaving when Kindra was only 3 months old so he wanted all the time he could home with her.

I'm so excited, I have been working out during the week with a couple other women and I'm actually sticking with it this time. Kindra plays in her bouncer and I do weights and cardio. I'm feeling so much better and hopefully I will stick with it and when DH gets home from deployment he will have a skinnier, healthier wife and mother to his child. This way I can also play with Kindra as she grows up and she can see her parents in an active lifestyle and hopefully adopt the same.

brl-That's nice that he had already put in two weeks so he could take the time off for you and your little one! I plan on taking a two week leadership course within the next year so could potentially skip next year's summer camp.

I do not have many relatives who breastfed. One cousin, who lives next door to my parents, started out bf'ing with her LO last summer. I think she only went a few months before switching over to bottles. Most of my close friends are still childless. If we try for a second child and the timing is better, I would definitely consider bf'ing.

ok ladies Hubby and I have agreeed to give BF a try. Like some said, it may work and it may not. But we are willing to try. The plan is to pump so hubby and chey can feed her and i can feed her at night if im to tired.

Clothe diapers thats where i stop. I don't think i could do that. It sounds great, even read about it, but don't think its for me/

No one in my family BF, not even my mom. So i will be the first, BUT hubbys aunt(his godmother) BF all 4 of her kids, so she said she would talk with me if i need it. Still Not sure about some things.

Went to walmart today and was overwelmed at the different things for BF moms. Bottles, pumps, etc. really have no clue on what to get and what brand, etc. So any help from those awsome moms on here who have helped me to get to the point of Bf would be great.

thanks guys.

Had my ultrasound this AM...It went pretty good, doc said that the growth looks really good. Although she did say my placenta is really low. She said usually it corrects itself this early, but I will have another ultrasound again at my next appointment on feb 8th. So with out further adoo....Meet

Catherine Marie (i was pretty happy when she said girl, I have had this name picked for a while..Catherine for me(my middle name) and my grandma (her 1st name) and Marie for my mom)

l_16dd86383ad745c8ba72525380400072.jpg

l_af7ea8bff2b34fc9a01fe72f77c9fd3a.jpg

l_4546c4ab9df641f681cbc32eef7abb54.jpg

yay for BF mommies! i LOVED doing it! its well worth the time. as far as pumps i LOVED my medela pump in style .its worth the $$. i got the one in the backpack and it had a lot of extra space.

shy is doing well and conner is in to everything. not walking yet but he turns one today! i can't believe it!

i can't believe how much he is talking already . the lady from help me grow came wed. and conner told her thank you, whats this and see and sissy. LOL he loves to talk. hes lazy tho LOL! hes around 25 pounds now.

poco - happy birthday to Conner! Glad your kiddos are doing so well!

radiant - congrats on your healthy GIRL! Hope there is not anything serious with the placenta. Thanks for sharing the ultrasound pics!

As far as the breast pump question. I have an Ameda Purely Yours electric pump that lets you do one or both breasts and I LOVE it. Totally recommend it! It is probably expensive ($150+ I'm guessing) but I think it is well worth it. I actually got it for free from my aunt who had her baby several years ago. I know some people are weirded out about getting a used breast pump, but since I know my aunt and know she cleaned it really well and whatnot, I happily took it! It's so nice, too, because it came with a bunch of extra parts. Did not think I would need them, but there are some little vacuum thingys that one of my cats is obsessed with and he made off with one or two of them LOL.

I don't have any close family members who breastfed for long enough to be knowledgeable about it. My mom breastfed my brother for 18 days before deciding to formula feed. She did not even try breastfeeding me and I now wonder if I would be much healthier if I had been breastfed. I get sick a lot, it seems like. I did have some breastfeeding support from a couple of younger people I know, though. What really helped me was WIC, the hospital when I delivered (there was a nurse who really helped me get started), and the lactation consultant. I also go to LaLeche League meetings when I can and it's nice to get breastfeeding support there. I have honestly had no issues with breastfeeding, though. I am one of the lucky ones who has had a really easy time with it!

Update here: My little guy is 5 months old tomorrow! He had a great week at daycare. Was a little worried that he might be getting an ear infection yesterday because he was pulling at his ears, but he has not had a fever or any other ear infection symptoms. He has been quite happy, too. I am positive it has to do with teething. I think he is teething a lot right now! I had fun with him tonight because Connor and I met my friend and her 6 month old son at the YMCA and we took the boys swimming together. This was Connor's 4th time swimming, I think. But he had not gone in the pool since November. Connor was loving it! Probably swam for 45 minutes. The other times it was maybe 15-20 minutes in the pool. In a month or two we will start water babies classes! I plan to take some new pictures of Connor tomorrow when he turns 5 months, so I will try to post some new pics on here for you all to see. :smilie:

Hope you all have a great weekend!

I start a new job on March 1! Hopefully this one will be full-time year round. It's for the same company that I worked at the trail riding facility, but I will be working at their new hotel. I am sure I will still be helping out at the stables on occassion too if not for the entire summer. It will be nice not working one place for six months and then struggle to find another job for the rest of the winter months in a town with a population of 80 or so. That can be a bit stressful!

This employer has been great to both hubby and I. Hubby has worked maintenance for them for several years and the benefits are excellent. Not to mention they provide our house and utilities. Plus, I mentioned we were going to hire a sitter so as both of us can work full-time. They pretty much said no need. They will work with my schedule so I work later shifts than hubby so we don't need one. That would be amazing! Especially since the nearest daycare is 40 miles away as it is. We had a friend that was willing to sit for us a couple days a week (which is what we figured we would need), but she is going to have her first baby in March and I don't want to overburden her.

Possibly a dumb question but...

I've been pumping and feeding breast milk exclusively. I think when I go back to work I will have trouble pumping enough to keep my daughter on breast milk only.

So can I feed both breast milk and formula? Say feed breast milk in the evenings, and send her to her child care provider with formula during the day? Or would that be bad for her digestive system?

I have been using BG one size. They were the only cloth diaper that I could get my hubby to use. I also have one of the new BG flip covers & hemp inserts to try (I just have to prep them). I would love a few good mamas ... Mostly because they are so adorable! My husband is good about using the cloth but he wolnt take the soiled inserts out. He also says his hands are to big to put the inserts in. So I make sure to set the diapers up right out of the dryer. I do have disposables on hand but only use them if I have no cloth clean.

I am hoping that when the time comes for me to go back to work I can find a daycare that will be ok with the cloth.

Santas_girl, you can feed both formula and BF. I over 90% breastfeed Connor since he started daycare at 3 months old. He gets formula as his back-up at daycare, but I pump once a day at work and get 2 feedings worth from that pumping session and he rarely needs formula while at daycare. When he does get formula, it has not messed with his digestive system at all. I do recommend trying formula on your daughter before someone else would be trying it so you know she will drink it. Some babies are really picky and will not drink formula if they have been exclusively breastfed! I'm lucky and Connor took to the bottle and formula well. He still gets breastfed at home all the time, too.

Ahh, BFing.

I really wish I had tried harder at it.

I pumped while Elliott was in the NICU. Everday I tried to BF for one feeding, but it was too difficult and my milk was everywhere except in his mouth. I kept trying even after we took him home, but it was hard. Between sore nippies and a cranky starving baby who would rather have a bottle, I gave up on BFing and choose to pump & bottle feed. A few months after that I went back to school. Although I had spoken with school admin and I was allowed to pump at school, I ended up losing my supply within *days* of going back to school.

It was really unfortunate.

And cloth diapering? I was TOTALLY into it! I loved everything I heard, I was really into the whole saving the Earth and saving $$ thing... but I just never got around to choosing exactly which ones I wanted.

I had too much to catch up on, so YAY for all the good news! And hugs for anything not-so-good.

Edited by chino is neato007

I was in the ER again today :( It's so rough. I hate to be whiney but this hyperemesis is killing me. I feel like such a pain in the butt going into the ER and having to call my doctor after hours. I know that's what they're there for, but it's still kind of embarrassing. I was there for a while today getting IV fluids and meds. It's getting old really fast and it makes me worry about the baby so much. The doctor's have said everything is fine though.

I'm really worried about my job as well. They're frustrated with my absences (2) and one late that has been related to the pregnancy. I know I can't be fired for anything pregnancy related, it just seems like they're really watching my every little move now and it scares me. I really can't afford to lose my job.

Well Mr. Connor turned 5 months today. Had a good day except he got a low grade fever tonight (99.5) and I am thinking it means one of two things: ear infection (really hoping NOT) or teething (please be teething!). Or maybe a stomach bug because some of the kids at daycare got a stomach bug the past week or so. I am going to keep monitoring his temp and giving tylenol as needed, but if he gets worse, he will definitely be going to the doctor Monday morning! He has been really happy today except for a couple of fussy spells that I think are from not feeling well. And he spit up (projectile) a few times today which he pretty much never does anymore, and that was what he did when he had the stomach flu and ear infection last month. Grr.. So frustrating! I feel bad for him. Anyway.. I am off to check on him. I put him down for bed, and I need to make sure he actually fell asleep.

Goldie, that sucks. Kindra (knock on wood) hasn't been sick yet and I dread it when it happens.

Kindra got to sit on her new pony today, my roomate took the pic with his camera so I don't have it yet but as soon as I get it I will. I had to go pick up hay this morning after only a few hours of sleep. My insomnia is HORRIBLE right now and it is killing me. Kindra is sleeping well, I'm just not. We went to bed normal time last night around 11 but I didn't fall asleep til after 4. At least that was just the last time I looked at the clock.

Radiant congrats! Catherin Marie is very pretty!

Santa's When my supply started dropping I supplemented with formula at daycare and nursed exclusively at home.

tvp ((HUGS))

I loved my Medela Pump in Style. Totally worth the money. Watch EBAY, I found mine for less than retail.

I have seen the Medela Pump In Styles for $20-50 on craigslist and they have a lot of extras, so I would check into craigslist too if you are ok with buying a used pump. Obviously you can sterilize the parts or buy new parts.

Connor has gotten sick a few times now, and I think it is mostly because he goes to daycare, but I know his immune system will be stronger because of going to daycare. Speaking of sick.. Connor and I BOTH got colds last night *again*. Ugh! So frustrating! Poor guy was coughing all night (but surprisingly, he slept well!) and my nose is stuffy and running. What a way to start the week.. I am proud of last night's accomplishment, though. I have been trying to get him sleeping in the crib all night long and I finally did it last night! He was not the problem before, though. I was. I got too lazy to put him back in the crib after he nursed in the middle of the night, lol. Guilty! It went very well, though. He woke up 3 times total.. Did a 6.5 hour stretch, then a 3 hour, then a 2 hour. I am going to try to keep the crib sleeping going. I know it is much safer for him and we all sleep better if we are all in our own beds.

Have a great Monday, everyone! Off to work I go!

Goldie- I had the same problem, Natalie would wake up during the night and want to eat then i would just leave her in the bed with us. Until one morning when she slept super late and my DH left for work.

SHE rolled off the bed!

And we have a VERY high bed. she rolled off and landed on a pillow thank god, but rolled into our dresser. It scared the living cells out my body!

So, point is, you are doing the right thing getting him to sleep in his own crib, even if there is a lot of crying or fussing because he wants ot be with you. Stick with it! Good job :)

Goldie- I had the same problem, Natalie would wake up during the night and want to eat then i would just leave her in the bed with us. Until one morning when she slept super late and my DH left for work.

SHE rolled off the bed!

And we have a VERY high bed. she rolled off and landed on a pillow thank god, but rolled into our dresser. It scared the living cells out my body!

So, point is, you are doing the right thing getting him to sleep in his own crib, even if there is a lot of crying or fussing because he wants ot be with you. Stick with it! Good job :)

Wow, that would be scary! Glad Natalie was ok after that. Ya, I am paranoid about him falling off the bed when he sleeps on the outside of the bed and when he is in the middle, I am paranoid about hubby or me rolling onto him. Though, amazingly, it's like my body always knows to stay still at night when he is in bed with us. He can roll over both ways now, but he does not do it yet in his sleep. But better to be safe than sorry! I think Connor actually sleeps better in his crib even though he does not have my body warmth next to him. He does not typically fuss or cry when he wakes up hungry.

So much for working today. I got today off because we had low numbers of kids due to weather/road conditions! I am taking Connor into the doctor this afternoon because I am, once again, worried that he got a second ear infection. His temp was 100.0 this morning so I gave him tylenol, but he has been very irritable and pulling at his ears a lot. I won't relax about him until I have him looked at! My mom was trying to talk me out of going today because of the roads, but oh well. I live in town and am going to take the main roads. I am a cautious driver.

goldie i hope conner is ok. Chey and jhett both had double ear infections. They say it runs in the family.

be safe

My doc appointment went ok. nothing major to report. He liked my Blood sugar numbers, said they are tons better. Heck i lost a pound, cause of the diet they have me on.

Will update more on wed. That is my ultrasound to see how big she is. Can't wait. That and im nervous about how she is laying. Last ultrasound showed her to be breech.

Kindra sleeps in bed with me I can't even imagine her sleeping in another room. I have one of the toddler bed rails on the edge of my bed. I've tried getting her to sleep in her pack and play in our room and no go. She only seems to sleep well in bed with me. She will sleep in other places but only an hour or two. She will sleep in bed with me for at least 6 hours so that is what we do. What gets me better sleep is what is best for us.

We are getting ready to go see DH. We leave Sat night and will drive all night to get there. I figured driving while she sleeps would be best. My friend is going with and can feed her a bottle of BM on the drive. I can't wait to get tons of pics with Kindra and DH. I'm not looking forward to the drive but I sure am looking forward to see DH!

Elliott slept with me for only about half a night. The first few months he slept in an ancient old "basket" thing that was had been handed down for generations in my family. I think Elliott was the 16th baby to sleep in it.

I'm pretty sure it goes against every warning and regulation out there, but I did it anyways. The basket thinger was set up on a stand and it was right next to my bed. When he was a few months old he outgrew it and then he moved to a crib in another room.

He did fine! I think I was more frazzled about being apart than he was.

He's slept in his crib every night ever since.

I never nursed, so I never got the luxury of just pulling him in bed and feeding him....but I didn't mind having to wake up and walk down the hallway to give him bottles during the night.

My advice would be not to rush the whole sleeping in a crib issue. As long as everyone is sleeping comfortably, I don't see a problem with it.

But there will be one day when you WILL want your lo to sleep in another bed, lol.