cvm2002

Requiem, Baskette's Colt

CVM... ummmmm, that is one ROUND mare. She looks like she swallowed my son's big bouncy ball that he got from Wally-world!

PS- It doesn't look like she's too impressed with having her glamour shot captured

Well, I decided I'm going to start doing mammary gland secretion testing (Checking pH and Calcium levels), and from what I've done just today, it ain't happening any time soon. Although her bag looks full, I can't express anything but a few drops of clear fluid. Nothing looking remotely like milk, so I'm putting off expectations for a good week and a half at least.

Or at least that's what I'm trying to talk myself into, just hoping that she'll actually hold off until AFTER I'm back from my CE course in Ohio next week. Now granted, if she foals this weekend, I'd be fine with that too.....

OK, dumb question time. What can you tell me about the pH? (We have water testing strips, wonder if I can pull that off to shut me up for a little bit...) Like, what was Baskette's now, vs what SHOULD it be if she were close?

Off to see what I can google... Thanks!

I didn't actually do the "test" today because I can't get enough out to run one!

You take 1 part milk/mammary secretion, mix with 6 parts distilled water and then use water test strips and apply the mix. I went to Walmart and picked up the multi-test pool strips that will check pH & Calcium (along with a couple other things) for about $15 for 50 strips. The sites I've seen seem to indicate that a pH of less than 6.5ish or so means foaling is imminent. Calcium should be at the maximum that the strip tests for.

Its the same premise that the "official" milk test strips are checking for, just a lot cheaper. There's no right or wrong value, you're looking at a comparison from previous tests.

Ok, Cool! 1 part/6 parts... less than 6.5... got it!

Thak you!

(Off to milk my horse!)

Oh... & just for the record, Oxytocin is cheating, & not fair unless you send me some THEN we can race! [ROTFL]

No prob....

Of course, I hold no responsibility when the mare foals on her own terms and unattended!!

I have another question, on average, how fast can the PH levels and calcium change in a mare's milk?

Say Red did the test after dinner at 7pm. Heads to bed after checking her at 10. By midnight the mares milk is changing.

Red goes out in the morning, say, 8am, and there's a foal? Is THIS possible?

I'm just curious.

Poor Baskette looks miserable. Hopefully SHE'LL change soon, and allow herself that little one... {{{HFV}}}

I can't give exacts obviously, but its not going to change THAT quickly. Important thing is to check at the same time each day and track the trend. Neither test value is going to change that dramatically in just a couple hours. Typically once they reach the "peak" values, foaling is within 24 hours, but I know many times they'll go several days before actually foaling.

Pffffffft.....She and Red's mare are in running to see who can keep their legs crossed the longest. I leave on Wednesday for 4 days, so I figure she'll go about 5 minutes after my plane leaves.

Pffffffft.....She and Red's mare are in running to see who can keep their legs crossed the longest. I leave on Wednesday for 4 days, so I figure she'll go about 5 minutes after my plane leaves.

No, what she will do is wait till 5 minutes before you HAVE to leave to get to the airport and go into labor. Making you miss your plane and your trip. Then change her mind and wait another week before actually foaling.

No, what she will do is wait till 5 minutes before you HAVE to leave to get to the airport and go into labor. Making you miss your plane and your trip. Then change her mind and wait another week before actually foaling.

*snork* That IS mean, but so incredibly funny at the same time... [ROTFL]

{{{HFV}}}

If you were looking at it from MY point of view, with 3 geldings, and not a chance of a preggo mare, YOU would be laughing too...... [ROTFL]

Ok, yes, it will be funny in 6 months or so... unless Baskette & Kelly are STILL holding out by then, which of course I WILL be hounding CVM for some of that Oxytocin she's got!!!

After I exhaust MY vet's supply of it.

[surrender]

Guys, it's only funny cause I've been there done that. Lost many an hours sleep waiting and watching for my mare to foal. The last time, I wasn't sure of when she got bred either. I had the stud (which is the horse in my avatar who's now a gelding). He managed to bust down 2 gates to get to the stupid Shetland pony hussy I had. Also apparently bred my mare. Just for the record, Stupid mare cycled from June till November so we didn't think she was bred. Next spring I got the inkling she was bred and sure enough, after 6 weeks of her teasing the crap out of me about foaling, we had a baby.

So, only funny cause I've been there. BTW, she foaled the MORNING I was supposed to go away for a few days. Ended up having to post pone my trip.

<<<HFV>>> coming from me.

no doubt! My mare waited till I was admitted into the hospital to foal see Reds other thread for a pic of her. Sneaky snarky mare!!! oh i was sooo mad.

Still no news on the foaling front, but BIG news from Baskette's "in-laws"!!

She is bred to Antham, who is sired by *Rushan (British National Champion). Just found out that *Rushan won the Senior Stallions class at the prestigious Arabian World Cup in Las Vegas this weekend!!!