Sign in to follow this  
event_ryder

Event Watch

So my birthday is coming up and my parents want an idea for a gift. I was thinking of asking for an optimum time compact event watch as my normal everyday watch is pretty much toast, and was wondering if it would be worth the purchase. Normally I would just buy another Timex, but their watches are designed in a way that if I flex my wrists in a certain way it changes mode on me (from time to chrono, to alarm etc.), as well as don't seem to hold up as well as they used to. I thought the optimum is nice enough to wear everyday so that I'm not just digging it out at the shows. However- it is a touch pricey- are event watches a "tool" worth investing in? I've usually just used my normal one to give me a back up to what I feel, but would like to get some other opinions on it.

If not I might see if they'll just chip in the money towards a clinic. I already have more then enough "stuff".

Hmm, good question. What level are you competing at and what level do you plan to compete at? I would say this information directly correlates to whether you should get an even watch or not.

For the most part thought I would say beginner novice through training level can survive without a watch. Once you get to prelim it does become an useful tool to have, if you know how to use it.

If a normal stop watch works for you right now though, I would say save the money for a clinic or event.

I have the "big yellow watch." Same thing, different package.

I love it!

I didn't get the watch until I was "serious" about training level. meaning we had bee-bobbed around training level a few times and I was starting to think about prelim and doing a T3D.

I got the watch mainly to help with our conditioning work. The big numbers are fantastic. the buttons are easy to use.

I know the watch you are thinking about is a little more compact but its still a bigger watch, its not something I would want to wear everyday. but that's just my opinion.

I'm thinking I'll ask for a clinic- Though I have my mare going training I think I'll make due without for now, and it'll be a bit before my young prospect will be there :) I do a lot of conditioning and pace trials, but I can usually con a kid to timing with a stop watch for me (my horse has a little kid fan club!) I'll just have to find a normal watch that gumby wrists wont mess with the settings!

I wear the big yellow watch at all levels. :-P I have a bit of an issue with my current horse when it comes to speed faults (no worries, we're not dangerous- she just has a massive stride so it looks/feels like we're loping along). I really like that it is so easily visible, and that it can count up/down. I think it's worth the investment.

I've have a timex like watch and my big yellow event watch.

The only issue I have come across wearing a sport watch is that I somehow manage to hit a button while galloping and it stops my watch almost always half way through the course.

On my Yellow one it does not do that.

I have a big yellow watch. I don't wear a watch below Training, and only sporadically at Training -- I prefer to just ride the speed off of feel, and looking at a watch bugs me. The only real way to "use" a watch is if you wheel the course and mark minutes anyway...which I am not nit-picky enough to do unless I'm running Prelim and up...so I end up just riding the pace anyway, and checking my watch just before I finish to make sure I'm not too fast.

Perhaps I'll have to keep this as a future gift idea! I'm fairly accurate timing without- usually within 10-20mpm, but thinking it would be a tool to invest in eventually. Here you're not even allowed to use any sort of watch until training level. I generally mark a track in our grand prix ring and practice pacing regularly- the kids love doing this during summer camps as well :)

I got my parents to invest in a roadside assistance program for me since my car has gotten stuck twice this week... not glamourous but very useful! **** ice and snow.