Sign in to follow this  
SquawsTomahawk

Update On Nsh

So I FINALLY got ahold of my trainer, thank goodness because she has been a real help with explaining things to the owner. Apparently the woman he was seeing at the time that bred for said horse had bred him to be her barrel racing horse which just made me laugh. I did end up showing him, it was a schooling show on the barn property which wasn't terrible. He didn't have to go anywhere and it was just like a normal ride with a judge and different horses.

I didn't warm him up which thank god I didn't because his energy completely cupooted out on me after the second class. He didn't want to canter at all anymore, he just wanted to laze around and take a nap. My trainer used it as an opportunity to watch him and see what she needed to work on. We took all second places, she even had us do Intro Test B which he got a 53.2% in which I didn't think was terrible considering he's never done one in his life.

We plan on starting lessons this week with him. I have to carry a dressage whip because he tends to lose momentum and get lazy rather quickly.

I look like a complete hobo in the picture I apologize, I haven't shown in two years. My breeches and show gear is tucked away in some remote place. My show helmet is busted and my tall boots need to be taken in. Luckily for me they don't seem to care what you look like at winter fun shows.

post-54099-1263882237_thumb.jpg

Everything?? lol

He's not a bad horse hes just inconsistent, lazy, and can get a bit crabby when you ask him to canter and hes at his I'm done mode. Which doesn't bother me considering if you took a walk break on my old OTTB he considered himself done from that point forward and made a fuss if you asked anymore of him.

Oh his leads, he's got the counter canter established, we know he can do it! Now he just needs to learn that we would like a regular working canter. He's catching on pretty quick. I've been doing a lot of leg yielding to get him working off my leg pressure and circles to work on his bending because that is not all that pretty too. I found a youtube video of a NSH that looks almost identical to him but is incredibly well trained. I told his owner this is our goal :)

Oh my I can't believe how awfully uncolor coordinated we are, lmao. We were making a bold statement that day :P

Haha, at least you didn't have holey boots and half chaps...until recently I couldn't be seen in public!

I think he's going to be a neat little project for you. I know what you mean about the canter-then-'I'm done' syndrome. My OTTB mare has that problem, which is mostly related to her fitness level. She's not really willing to keep trying when she's tired.

What I've found with inconsistent horses is that once they're in a program where they know what's expected of them, they become much more consistent.

Keep posting pics! I like this little guy.