Sign in to follow this  
FishValley

Daughter Needs A New Shadbelly

Her birthday is in March and she's very petite. I have no idea what her preferences are, all I know she doesn't like her current shadbelly and she's been saving up for a new one. She said she should have enough by July but I'd like to get it to her sooner.

Does any one have any recommendations?

Coats are so individual. What about suggesting a shopping trip together, or make a gift certificate good for a new Shad?

You would be looking at easily $500 or $600 for a custom IMO. I've done normal coats, and there is no way I would do a shad for less than that. The nice fabrics alone are very pricey, and there is a lot of labor involved.

Pikeur makes a great coat, but unless she's TALL as well as skinny, I'd leave that alone. Even if you ordered a short, they just look better on taller people.

Cavallo and EuroFit are much better for much of the population. Cavallo is a bit more traditional, and EuroFit has some classic looks and also some really unique ones too (contrasting stitching on the lapels, piped or contrasting pocket flaps, etc).

RJ Classics is more known in the hunter world than dressage, but they do make a dressage shad too that's nice.

If you're going for a classic navy or black, I'd go with Cavallo (or Pikeur if she's tall). If you're looking for something unique, I'd get a EuroFit.

Fit is the thing--and so many are just cut differently that you may have to let the trip be the fun part of the present. My friend found one she loved at the WC and it fit great but she didn't have the funds at the time, so she passed, but at least she knew what brand she was looking for finally.

I'm not sure we can do a shopping trip. We live in rural nevada the local feed store doesn't carry much of anything 'english' unless it's by special order. I had checked with them about this earlier. :confused0024:

She works with a few people I can ask, I'll let you guys know what I find out!

Congratulations! I hope your daughter gets a warm and fuzzy feeling every time she gets to wear her new shadbelly. I'm so very glad you have found your way to supporting her passion. If she doesn't appreciate it already, I am very sure your daughter will appreciate it in a few years when she gains some perspective.

Tracy