Sign in to follow this  
GreyHorse

Shortening And Lengthening Your Reins

Adjusting your reins is an important skill to master if you want to have effective control of your horse, or if you want to train your horse and he needs very precise rein signals.

Take a min to watch this vid

This is something you can practice now during the cold weather months, at home in your easy chair, so that you have this skill in place when you can get back to riding your horse.

http://vimeo.com/8939800

Can you embed videos here? If yes, how do I do that?

I agree with you totally! And it is also a VERY hard skill to explain to newer riders. I am having these troubles with my hubby and niece who I am trying to teach to ride. It seems to definately be tough for newbies to gather then up in their hands when I can do easily, lol

I was giggling right along with the video...just because you guys were giggling.

Ok, how would you shorten the reins while riding one handed? I know how I do it, but I'm sure it's wrong....and clumsy. Actually, I don't know how I do it. That is, I couldn't explain it here, I just do it.

Edited by Wild Rose

I have always wondered how you shorten the reins in your home or office.

Now mount a camera on your head and show us . [Crazy]

I checked out the other vidoes . I like them.

Yeah, we sure had a little fun.

duke... sheesh, and here I thought I making my big debut.

SST, how bout I mount that camera in place of my head, maybe I could quit my day job then?

I gotta say, you guys know how to have some fun. I posted this on another BB and didn't get a single comment on it.

don't know why I even bothered.

I giggled along with you too. I tried to remember how I lengthen and shorten before realizing whatever I do comes naturally and I don't even think about it. I'll have to see next time I ride.

Yes!!! Exactly what I'm talking about... You guys just figured it out somehow. Can't even remember how it works exactly, darn sure nobody ever taught you how.

I do this online coaching thing, and believe it or not, it works really, really good. But I've had to teach folks how to shorten and lengthen their reins again and again. There is a huge bunch of people out there that'll set their reins where they think they should be and won't shorten or lengthen them.

You can't do that... You gotta give and take, pressure and release, get in his face and let him go. And to do that w/ confidence, you sure need to have some kind of method to the madness.

This is just one of those things that folks outta know how to do, and not get in trouble for. So I thought I'd throw it out here.

I am always checking my length , I dont have a method that I know of. I just look and feel and shorten and lengthen . I have a habit of letting out to much rein when walking , so before I do anything else I have learned to take up the slack before I do anyting else. Or I look like a water skier with a slack rope.

I actually did learn from some of your other vidoes. You say what needs to be done and have fun doing it.

A Head cam , hmmmm [Question] got duct tape?

You two cracked me up! Love it. Usually it is best to work out what you are going to teach BEFORE you roll the camera. In this case however your discussion became the topic. Sweet. Great job capturing the moment as it developed.

I think this is exactly why I tend to prefer a loop or "sport" rein of smooth nylon rope.

Thanks for posting! I love those "sh!ts and giggles" ideas!

William (historyrider)

I checked out the other videos too and really liked the slow motion you used for the rollbacks. I am going to use that as a visual to help me feel my horse taking those steps. Thanks!

ooOOOOOOoooooohhh! THAT's what you meant! Ok, got it.

(Can I skip the bouncy ball & giggling part though? The knee ain't going to take the "posting", & the kids look at me funny when I giggle for no reason to myself.) [Crazy]

LOL... Melissa you are a riot

Yes... you can skip the posting... just because you are in special circumstances. We'll make an exception for you this time.

Practice this while you are off. It'd be nice if you could have that skill in place when you and Blue get going again.

Thanks Magic...

That's the reason I keep 2 computers around. The mac has a pretty good video program, and I didn't have to pay those outrageous MS prices.

that's why i like yacht quality braid rope reins. started using them five years ago and will never go back to leather.

thanks for the video--really like your website.