Sign in to follow this  
bobthepaint

Jc Higgins Saddles

i have an old jc higgins, i believe it to be some kind of show or parade saddle, it has red roses and a cowboy riding a rearing horse going down thefender, it also has 2 sets of stirrups, the ones on the saddle are wood wrapped in metal, the other set are( tapadaros) not sure of spelling the saddle is in real good shape, all straps and buckles are there, i will try to post some pics. it has a no. stamped under the horn dont remember what it is right now, all i know is what i've read on google about jchiggins, is there some where i can get info on the saddle?

J. C. Higgins was a "house name" used by Sears Roebuck for their sporting goods. The saddles made for Sears Roebuck were built by Bona Allen. Sears would not allow suppliers to use their own name on products sold through their stores. Bona Allen got around this rule by stamping the initials BA on the heads of some of their rivets.

Please show some pictures of your saddle.

I still have some Bona Allen saddles that came through Sears after they stopped calling their sporting goods by the name J.C. Higgins. They are un-marked Bona Allens. Bona Allens made in Buford, Georgia were all well-made, from top-of-the-line to general purpose (rent string) saddles. All the J.C. Higgins were made in Buford.

Hope this helps so far.

I would like to see it too!!

BTW, my dad had an old JC Higgins bolt action shotgun. They don't make many bolt action shotguns these days!

Edited by mydakota

I would like to see it too!!

BTW, my dad had an old JC Higgins bolt action shotgun. They don't make many bolt action shotguns these days!

My dad had a J.C. Higgins shotgun. When I was a kid, my buddy had a J.C. Higgins bicycle.

John Higgins worked for Sears. They named their sporting goods line after him. He didn't have a midde name, so they added the "C" to balance the name.