Sign in to follow this  
run&rope

What Bit Do You Run With?

I would like to know what bit you run barrels in......do you have a favorite or an old standby that

you always go back to?

I am stating my mare with a D ring snaffle, can I just keep running in that or sould I move her up to something else.....i know it depends on the horse, I am still figuring her out.

I would look into "MYLER BITS" I think they are really made with the horses mouth in mind and my horses react very well with them.

My current horse runs in a Sherry Cervi shortshank with a twisted wire dogbone or an O-ring combo with a twisted wire dogbone. I use an O-ring (smooth or twisted... depends on how frisky he is that day), D-ring, or hack for slow work. Sometimes I'll use a german martingale, running martingale, or draw reins.... sometimes I dont use anything.

lol. I know I didnt help much. I tend to like a lot of horses in the O-ring combo though.

Depends entirely on which horse i'm running. I don't have "one" bit i consider to be a bit for every horse. That rarely works as horses are individuals.

Panama will be 20 this year, he runs in a Martha Josey Go-Round (low port mouth, gag action on the mouthpiece). I have a lifter i use for training once in awhile and i run poles in a Rutledge Roper (flat, low ported, the mouth piece swivels but stays flat on the tongue.

Chili ran in a variety of bits, his last was a three piece mouth gag/rope noseband combo.

Tess ran in a 3 pc snaffle when i got her, but now shes' in a Ed Wright bit (resembles at Jr Cowhorse).

ALL my horses will ride in a good snaffle and have "everyday" bits as well as their competition bits.

Bumper

i always start in a ring snaffel and go from their depending if they need more stop, lift or bend, but every horse is diffrent my first barrel horse i started in a wonder bit went thru other curbs and gags as he needed more stop but ended up he ran and stoped his best in a twisted ring snaffel

Poncho runs is a twisted junior cowhorse or a jim warner, Tracer for some odd reason LOVES the mike beers bit with a HUGE port and chain mouth... long story short, he has had a severe injury to his tongue so the port takes the pressure off the bad spot. I DO not yank on him with that bit though as it could do ALOT of damage. Skeeter likes his myler or martha josey's start to finish.

I run my mare in a plain old snaffle bit.

This is what the people who started her used her in, and she's been working so well that I just haven't changed it. She is winning in the 1-D around here so I can't think of any reason to change it, as of now anyway. Another reason I haven't changed it is because bits are not cheap, and I'm not exactly sure what ones to try out and all that. I don't want to go out and buy something and it doesn't work out.

But like I said, she runs really well in it, so I'm not in any rush to go out and find something better.

post-41775-1264777589.jpg

Cowboy ran for most of his 6 years in justa Jr Cowhorse, very loose with hardly in chin strap, lol. I prob could've ran him in a snaffle or halter, but was too scared. haha

Tilly rides in anything in the backyard, but at a competition she has to be in her combination bit. I don't know what it's called...Im bad at that.

my last barrel horse that retired Merlin, I too could of ran him in a halter. He was gentle and very push style. I had him in a tender touch or jr. cowhorse.

my current horse now he has a cheri cervi long shank twisted dog bone and charmayne james ryan bit. but for roping he has a mike beers chain with a port. I'm bad at getting the exact name I have so many. but I will always run with hackamore once in a while just depending on the race and how he is feeling that day. ohh and a snaffle with slow work/tuning/trail.

My very first barrel horse was a roping horse when I got her, she was roped off of in a Sleister bit and that is what I ran her barrels in, never had any issues with it but it probably wouldn't be the first thing I grabbed down for any of the horses I rode after that. I think it is proof that you ride in what works for the particular horse.

Rio ran in a twisted off set o-ring snaffle. People thought I was crazy for running her in it becasue she was strong strong strong on the bit, until you started to the first barrel...she was completely opposite of most horses I have run into. Felt like an unbroke pig until she was going mach 10...then she was light as could be.

Tucker and CC I run in the Ed Wright Pretzel-helps to keep my hands light on them and me out of their mouths which in turn keeps them light.

Poopie is one of those you could run with a string thru her mouth, she runs in a smooth two peice full cheek snaffle. I haven't quite figured out if she is really that light mouthed or if she is just too lazy to run off...

All of my horses work in an o-ring, d-ring, or beetle hackamore, on any given day. I ride a lot with the o-right though.. it's kind of my "go to" bit.

Scooter runs in a twisted o-ring

Jet runs in a Sherry Cervi

Hurricane was still in an o-ring when he got hurt..

Well Midnight runs in a Jr. Cowhorse, but when she's not running she rides in an o-ring.

Vegas ran in an o-ring until his second year on the pattern then he moved into a Hodges Futurity.

Cheif rode in a D-ring until this past summer, and I've ran through many bits with him until I got to the Molly Powell Long Shank Combo.. :/

Skip runs in an O-ring..always has and never have had a reason to change it.

Baracudda runs in a Martha Josey Start to finish, but rides in an o-ring for tuning/light riding.

Maia rides in a Little S Hack, always has, has a super soft mouth, even an o-ring is too much for her.

And Shark Bait runs in just a regular short shank combo.

I run my guy into two different bits right now.

Tender touch with livesaver mouthpiece .

WBR67.jpg

O-ring snaffle (3 piece) - dog bone mouth piece- and noseband

903b.jpg

and I just ordered him a little S hackamore..excited to try that on him !

964littles.jpg

I love them all.. they all get the job done and provide great handle.

My horse loves the Mike Beer's ported chain as well. Like...LOVES it.

He goes in ANYTHING at home. Halter, Sherry Cervi shortshank, hackamore, o-ring...does the same pattern everytime. Elsewhere...different story. Still trying to figure it out. [Crazy]

Roping we are in a mechanical hackamore. He loves that as well.