Sign in to follow this  
equi-librium

Drive Thru Mistakes..

Since my husband oversees 4 Wendy's restaurants I KNOW that speed of service and order accuracy are key to a good drive thru. His best employees are on drive thru.

I have Wendy's usually on my way to the Dr's every week. They rarely get my order wrong ( not one of our stores) every once in a while a mistake is made. One day I got a wrong order that was a triple with bacon, cheese and jalapenos. I wanted a chicken sandwich. That triple was so disgusting, looking at it made me feel grossed out. I was too far down the road to take it back and make my app't. On my way home I took the order back to the Wendy's and told them they screwed up. I got my correct order and they got the nasty triple back.

I wonder how many people here have actually ever had to work a food service aka fast food job in the past 10 years? I for one am a College Student as well as a part-time worker at a national fast-food chain and I know what it's like. Believe it or not, but people do care about their jobs. However it's hard to be excited about a job where many people treat you like you're inferior. I'm not meaning to point fingers or anything, but communication is a two way street. I know many times customers do not say what they mean and when order takers don't read back the order it makes a mess.

Please consider the industry before you begin to generalize every single employee working in food service. The number one priority is to be fast and 100% accurate, but sometimes to get one the other suffers. So when orders are accurate, but take too long.. people complain. When orders aren't accurate, but quick... people complain. You have every right to complain and every right to take your business elsewhere if you are not satisfied with the service. It's not a perfect system, but at my store we do our best to eliminate things like this from happening, but it's impossible to never mess up when you are running to get orders out. When errors do happen we do our very best to make it up to our customer.

Edited by Running_Free

Fast food restaurants generally train their staff in stations. It's in the best interest of the company not to have well trained and multi functional employees. Why? The less skills they have the less they have to pay them. The less desirable they are to other companies therefore the less likely they are to find work elsewhere for higher wages.

At the store I work in this could not be further from the truth. We have four main stations (Front-Line, Back-Line, Drive-Thru, and Fry Station) and they want you as knowledgeable as possible for efficiency. It doesn't make sense to limit your employees to one station, because you'd never be able to fill positions as you need them. For example, I've only been working at my store for three months and I'm already trained in Front-Line, Drive-Thru, and Fry Station.

They will pay you whatever they normally pay regardless of skills because fast food is an entry-level job. It's not pretty or glamorous, but it pays bills and provides food for the family. Which in this economy you cannot take for granted. I can't even tell you how many people I've seen turn in applications the past three months saying they've lost their job and need extra hours to keep a roof over their head.

Fast food restaurants generally train their staff in stations. It's in the best interest of the company not to have well trained and multi functional employees. Why? The less skills they have the less they have to pay them. The less desirable they are to other companies therefore the less likely they are to find work elsewhere for higher wages.

I have found this to be absolutely not true in fast food! Quite the opposite! Every fast food place I worked for was minimum wage and you were cross trained due to the rate of high turnover. They tried to get as much work out of their employees as possible and the only way to do that is to cross train. You simply can't run a business who's employees only make minimum wage without cross training!

Same with all the retail work I have done. Same with my job now. I am not a supervisor but I can do the supervisor's job due to cross training.This is important because it involves actual closing and opening of business. I didn't get any higher pay because of this but I did get a year end raise for merit. I've had one raise in 3 years.I know more now than I did at the time I GOT that raise.

The only time I wasn't involved in cross training was in much higher paying jobs and even those we did do SOME cross training but not everyone knew how to do MY job. Only a select few were taught to replace me as a manager of shipping and receiving for a Sheet Metal Manufacturer with government contracts.

ALL of the other jobs I had that paid much less per hour we were ALL cross trained.

At the store I work in this could not be further from the truth. We have four main stations (Front-Line, Back-Line, Drive-Thru, and Fry Station) and they want you as knowledgeable as possible for efficiency. It doesn't make sense to limit your employees to one station, because you'd never be able to fill positions as you need them. For example, I've only been working at my store for three months and I'm already trained in Front-Line, Drive-Thru, and Fry Station.

They will pay you whatever they normally pay regardless of skills because fast food is an entry-level job. It's not pretty or glamorous, but it pays bills and provides food for the family. Which in this economy you cannot take for granted. I can't even tell you how many people I've seen turn in applications the past three months saying they've lost their job and need extra hours to keep a roof over their head.

Very true! When I was working at a fast food place, they trained me to do everything that I could legally do (being under 18 at the time, I couldn't operate the ovens). I was trained for Front End, Drive Thru, and making orders. Imagine only having one person each shift trained to make orders. What do you do if that person skips work?

I'm always shocked by my younger cousins who flat out REFUSE to work at fast food places because it is so "beneath them". Sheesh, a paycheck is a paycheck! Especially when you're HS or college age! :thud: I work in a machine shop at the moment; oil, grease and metal chips included. It keeps gas in my car, coffee in my Mr. Coffee and tack on my horse-it's all good! But talk about *glamour* job, NOT! [ROTFL]

Bananaboy,..exactly! Least glamourous job I ever held was in that machine shop but it was the highest paying job I ever had too!

And we got to wear jeans and shorts to work!

:happy0203:

By the time I was done there(4 yrs) I was helping run the place and my pay reflected it.

What's this talk about glamourous jobs?

Who cares about glamour?

Money is money. :confused0024:

I wouldn't ever expect a horse person who has shoveled poo, to worry about glamour. Like my uncle said: "If you're too good to clean up after them, you're too good to ride."

So, if anyone tells me they are too good to flip burgers, I'd tell them; "They you're too good to eat."

I work at Mcdonalds. I am FOR customer Service. I do everything I possibly can to make them happy. Sit at the back window forever, you get an apple pie... get your order wrong, i give you a free apple pie. Wrong coke? I give you a Dr. Pepper, what you wanted.

We have this two women who come through Every morning. Two Large Diet cokes. Two sides of Bacon for their dog. A guy comes through Everyday. Anderson Coffee. Large Coffe 7 cream, 2 splenda. We know it's him we he comes to the window and asks for his "anderson coffee." So it's ready when he gets to the window. We have a lot of regular customers.

I am a Crew Trainer there, so I train everyone who comes it. The CORRECT way. PEople still don't get it, and do it their own way. So yes, There only there for a paycheck. i've had several crew say they were there for only a paycheck. If you don't want to do it right, find another job. I'm a people person, love people, so i do it right. I'm there to make their experience pleasurable.

Hey, come to my McDonalds, and were up a McFlurry, i give it you you. Lol They are so stoked when they get it, haha

I'm always shocked by my younger cousins who flat out REFUSE to work at fast food places because it is so "beneath them". Sheesh, a paycheck is a paycheck! Especially when you're HS or college age!

It's mostly because I was young (18-22 or so), but I generally had a pretty good time at my fast-food and restaurant jobs. (Now I'd be miserable physically and would definitely not be able to live on those wages.) I worked with fun people who took pride in their jobs, and we frequently had laughing fits because we having such a great time. And after work? Great people to play with.

El Bandito, I feel bad because I tend to hold up the people working drive-through windows (especially at McDonald's). They're almost always ready for me but I'm still getting my money together. I hang back, getting my change right, because I know they have timers at the windows. Once in a while they stick their heads out of the window looking back at me like, "What the heck are you doing?"

Does this explain why they can't get your order correctly??

This was a sign at a Carl's Jr.

I mean I know i've posted this before and got some negativity about what I said so I'll just simply put it this way...if you can't spell words like "MEAT" then what makes you think they can complete an order correctly?!

5295_250327340690_502980690_8816614.jpg

My husband is a taco bell junkie and on more than one occasion, he has gotten home and the order was wrong, and he calls them right up, tells them the issue, and they put his name on some list and he gets free food the next time.

I swear, they just have his name on the board and put "called again" next to it.

He's nuts.

Who cares about glamour?

I wouldn't ever expect a horse person who has shoveled poo, to worry about glamour. Like my uncle said: "If you're too good to clean up after them, you're too good to ride."

So, if anyone tells me they are too good to flip burgers, I'd tell them; "They you're too good to eat."

That was my whole point :winking: My cousins all want "cool" jobs, like working at Nike or some store at the mall. In their own words, slinging burgers is 'beneath them'. My point was that money is money, and often times you can't afford to be picky (especially kids with no experience and no degrees). I worked one job that they might have considered "cool". I worked at a store at the mall. It was the worst job of my life, I had no hours, and I was paid squat. Then one day I was told not to bother coming to work anymore because 'You're only a seasonal employee, didn't we tell you?'. Nope, I'll keep my great job at the shop over any "cool" job anyday.

I know so many teens who refuse to work at fast food places because it's not "cool" enough. I certainly don't feel that way, and I've even worked at a fast food place before. I'll avoid doing it again if I can, but if I need a job I'd do it again.

Bananaboy,..exactly! Least glamourous job I ever held was in that machine shop but it was the highest paying job I ever had too!

And we got to wear jeans and shorts to work!

:happy0203:

By the time I was done there(4 yrs) I was helping run the place and my pay reflected it.

Considering my age and experience, I make pretty decent money! :happy0203: It's pretty fun too, like you said, jeans and tee shirts is nice, and my family owns the place so I get to work with my dad and grandparents. And I work with older men, so no drama or gossip! :grin:

If you're not afraid of a little dirt, a shop can be a great place to work.

Who cares about glamour?

Ditto. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I would rather have a job that required hard work than one that is easy. I'm not saying working at a fast-food joint is easy, but if I have the choice, I prefer to do farm work over anything else. Mucking stalls, grooming, hauling water buckets, that kind of thing. I like to be kept busy.

And as for the fast-food order mix-up thing, yep i've had that happen to me. Probably one of the funniest ones was one time I was with my aunt at McDonalds and before we drove off from the drive-thru, she noticed we were missing a medium iced tea. So, she politely told the cashier so. He went and got the tea...or so we thought. When my aunt looked into the cup after driving off, it was only a cup of ice! [ROTFL] She had just told the guy what to get, and he gave her a cup of ice! My cousin and I lauged about that the whole way home LOL

Here in PA we have Sheetz.... They are a gas station chain that also make made to order food and coffee drinks.

They pay more than the local blue collar jobs. There shift leaders make $12.15 and hour. I make just under $11 as a department manager for a national Pet chain. Hubby makes $14 an hour despite having his federal certs and etc in HVAC and Stationary engineer. (He has killer perks though aka free admission to 2 amusement parks and will be jumping up the ranks over the next few years)

I am seriously thinking of making a career jump. I love working with animals but I am at a point that money is important.

Who cares about glamour?

Eh... yes, money is money.

But having a job that you enjoy is one of the cornerstones for living a happy, fulfilled life- I don't think there is anything wrong with people shying away from working in fast food. I'd rather struggle financially while doing something I love than to make money in a job I hate.

And if you're in a position to hold out for a "cool" job- well, why NOT do it? It will likely make your life better in the long run.

I started out my working life at Toys R Us. Not a particularly cool job- though compared to fast food it seemed very cool, but you could say that it started me on the path to what I ultimately chose as my carreer. I didn't have a clue then, or even the slightest inclination, that I'd stick with retail, but that's how it's gone. And you know having had one job in a field makes it that much easier to get another one- would I have gotten hired on at the store where I worked for 6 years if I'd only worked in fast food beforehand? Maybe not- when your young, ANY relevant experience is rare and treasured by other companies. My life might be something entirely different now, because I sure wouldn't have gotten the sweet gig I had at my last job without those 6 years, and I wouldn't have been able to save up enough money to open my own store without that job.

Cross training is necessary for speed, however, it's usually only select core employees who get cross trained and are utilized. Those employees typically do get paid more. For the simple fact that the less skills you have, the less you are entitled to be paid. It's the design of the industry.

It is an entry level job. That is why the higher skill set you have, the more employable you become. At some point you either get a raise based on that developed skill (and the fact that you are now doing more/taking on greater responsibility) or you take those skills and find a higher paying job.

That's the way entry level jobs work.

That is why I said it's in the best interest of the company to not cross train. It keeps their pay out less and it discourages turn over. That's not to say it doesn't happen out of necessity.