Sign in to follow this  
PoisonWhisper

Quarter Horse Studs?

I am a hunter/jumper and am looking for a good all-around quarter horse or one that excells in HUS stud to breed her to. I am not picky on color. Performance and mind is the most important. My filly is 4 years old and is 14.3 hands, so I would like to get a foal a little taller. Do any of you have any suggestions?

My first suggestion would be to PM CoolRabbit. She shows AQHA HUS and knows of some nice studs. Plus, everything I'm going to say here is a total copy from her :)

One of my fav. QH studs is Hot Diggity Joe. CR has bred to him a few times and RenegadeCowgirl has a yearling/2 year old (I'm not sure how old he is) by HDJ.

I also know that CR bred her mare to Thanks For Com En for a 2010 baby, but I believe he's Jockey Club, APHA and his babies are eligible for AQHA Appendix registry.

Ditto to talking to CR, she knows her stuff.

But I also agree with NextChamp....

Your filly is young, give her time to grow mentally and physically. Show her and get experience under her girth before making her be a mother. Breeding and raising a foal takes a lot of time and money, and can cost some precious training time for your mare. Just focus on her and her development for now.

As for her N/H status, that would also be a big red flag for me as well... way too risky.

JMHO

If you are wanting to get a riding horse out of her I wouldn't breed her. Their is no reason to breed for a riding horse with the chance that it could fall over or have issues. For me if you are breeding for strictly halter it is different as their is less risk involved. With prices the way they are go out a buy you a nice yearling or two year old instead of taking the risk on getting another N/H horse. That way you can get started now and choose exactly what you want. You can also continue the training on your mare.

MMN

Thanks you guys for the advice not to breed her, but I have talked to my vet and a breeder friend of mine and i'm still going to breed her. I just asked for possible studs. So if you don't have any studs you can think of then please don't tell me anything else about breeding my filly.

I just don't get it......WHY are people still breeding!!! So-So horses?when there are SO MANY REALLY well bred horses wanting homes!!! its crazy!!! I have a Yella Fella grandaughter!!!his stud fee is hummm HUGE! and I can't GIVE!!!! her away!!! and she is an AMAZIN athlete & N/N!!!!! and people that think they have 'gods gift" are wanting to make MORE! So So horses.... I just don't get it sorry.....it just really urks me....... there are just too many horses out there going for NOTHING!!! and people Just want to make more CUTE Horseys!!! cause they Got a UTERUS!sorrryyyy... it just PPPPIIISSSSIS ME OFFFFFFF.I could breed mine, but I won't cause she is NOT perfect! and if I could FIX her I would! wake up! Horse W [bang Head] orld!!

Edited by honeysmom

I just don't get it......WHY are people still breeding!!! So-So horses?when there are SO MANY REALLY well bred horses wanting homes!!! its crazy!!! I have a Yella Fella grandaughter!!!his stud fee is hummm HUGE! and I can't GIVE!!!! her away!!! and she is an AMAZIN athlete & N/N!!!!! and people that think they have 'gods gift" are wanting to make MORE! So So horses.... I just don't get it sorry.....it just really urks me....... there are just too many horses out there going for NOTHING!!! and people Just want to make more CUTE Horseys!!! cause they Got a UTERUS!sorrryyyy... it just PPPPIIISSSSIS ME OFFFFFFF.I could breed mine, but I won't cause she is NOT perfect! and if I could FIX her I would! wake up! Horse W [bang Head] orld!!

That's a little harsh, don't you think? I don't recall the OP saying she wanted to breed pretty horsies. In my opinion, a far worse example is breeding to a big beef cow like mr Yella Fella who never performed in his life other than to stand there and look large. That's possibly why your horse isn't selling - in this economy people don't want to buy halter-bred horses that aren't good performance prospects. Just because your filly's grandsire had a huge stud fee doesn't mean she is worth even a fraction of that...seriously! I find your post incredibly hypocritical.

not everyone breeds their mares because they have uterous'. And not every horse is perfect breeding should be about seeing what flaws your mare has and breeding her to a compatable stallion that is like her but where she lacks is a lot better. And you can fix your mare since you want to. I have rescued a mini horse so I know there are a lot of well bred horses wanting homes, i just know my reasons for wanting to breed my mare and you have yours for not. But there are good breeders out there who breed for the right reasons.

yea! but you know WHAT her Grandsire on her mothers side is ROM in EVERYTHING!!! and HALTER World Champ too! So no! I'm Not harsh I'm just realistic!!! She is bred for Halter & Preformance! and she HAS Haltered and won(have you?)! and she CAN move!training in Reining, but BECAUSE she doesn't have the "Common" Reining bloodlines ,Nobody thinks she can REIN but she can! All I'm say'n is I thought I had ALL of the BEST lines AND the FAVORITES! and it STILL doesn't matter!!!It's Just not the time to be breeding Mares that have not proven thereselves!PERIOD! Cause it hurts us ALL!

honeysmom, I'm with you. I edited my stallion choice to nothing after I found out the HYPP stat... I don't get it either. On top of that a GROWING 4yr. [bang Head]

I always think of what happens when I _____and I have to sell my horse. How many people want a N/H then bred to a stallion not of their choice.... Yes, this has happened to 2 of my friends so far...

yea...scarry ha? people just don't get it!!! were in this for a live'n (and we love 'um too) but MAN its down to $$$ now! and HELLO! think people!Have a UTERAS! But I CHOOSE to NOT fill it!!make things better for ALL of us!PLEASE!!!!

and she HAS Haltered and won(have you?)!

[ROTFL] PM me and I can refer you to my stats if that will help. LOL!

I just think your post was a bit harsh, after mentioning that you yourself bred a horse that cannot even be given away, yet you attack someone else for inquiring about breeding.

You catch more flies with honey, etc., etc. Attacking someone instead of trying to educate them does no good, and makes you look bad. Just a word of advice...

oh! I didn't breed her ! I bought her FROM a breeder!!! that is the only thing I did, I REFUSE! to breed now (even though I had intentions of that when I bought her) NOT NOW! and I feel sorry for my friend's that are try'n to make a live'n at breeding horses. but no! education is what its about right now!! we need to find a solution to this,for sure! AND I for 1 am NOT the solution. EDUCATION IS the solution.>>>

oh! I didn't breed her ! I bought her FROM a breeder!!! that is the only thing I did, I REFUSE! to breed now (even though I had intentions of that when I bought her) NOT NOW! and I feel sorry for my friend's that are try'n to make a live'n at breeding horses. but no! education is what its about right now!! we need to find a solution to this,for sure! AND I for 1 am NOT the solution. EDUCATION IS the solution.>>>

You seem to be talking about people in a group. I'm not trying to breed horses for a living. I'm going to breed my filly probably once maybe twice if i ever get the finances to do so. So i plan on breeding and showing the filly. My filly was shown extensively as a yearling and she did very good. She's been shown in some local hunter shows here and has placed high in the ranks. I plan on showing her after she foals too. You keep mentioning a uterus...and not filling it. that's great for you, and thats your decision. But you can spay her it is possible. But that's not what i'm going to do. And I have my reasons. All i did was ask for opinions on studs. If you don't have any start a forum of your own about this.

yea! but you know WHAT her Grandsire on her mothers side is ROM in EVERYTHING!!! and HALTER World Champ too! So no! I'm Not harsh I'm just realistic!!! She is bred for Halter & Preformance! and she HAS Haltered and won(have you?)! and she CAN move!training in Reining, but BECAUSE she doesn't have the "Common" Reining bloodlines ,Nobody thinks she can REIN but she can! All I'm say'n is I thought I had ALL of the BEST lines AND the FAVORITES! and it STILL doesn't matter!!!It's Just not the time to be breeding Mares that have not proven thereselves!PERIOD! Cause it hurts us ALL!

Ha ha ha, Jan has forgotten about more wins than most people on these boards have won, dear!

Well now that the dust has settled:

http://www.sonnyshotjazz.com/

Looks very balanced and athletic. Pretty head.

https://www.quarterhorsestallions.com/banks_assets.htm

(I find him a bit heavy on the front end. If your girl is lacking this, it could be a plus.)

I like their resume' and believe the pedigree fits well with your girl. Not only that, they aren't extremely tall , but taller than your girl and their cannons should transfer over well. I have this thing about legs. If they aren't similar or the same..you throw to much of a crap shoot out there for a balanced horse.

If you want legs..I like this guy. Should give you a bay tovero/overo.

http://www.prairiestarhorses.com/pssignthecard.htm

AD

I refuse to post any studs for this horse. The mare doesn't deserve to use her uterus. End of story. Way to help with continuation of this horrible condition, dragging innocent horses with you as you go.

I refuse to post any studs for this horse. The mare doesn't deserve to use her uterus. End of story. Way to help with continuation of this horrible condition, dragging innocent horses with you as you go.

Thank you for your opinion. But to say my mare doesn't derserve her uterus is alittle harsh considering you've never seen her, her movement, or seen her show. So thanks again for your opinion.

Roman's human, I really hate to have to tell you this (especially since you are probably going to ignore my advice.) But breeding an HYPP NH horse is always morally unconscionable. By so doing, you are deliberating choosing to bring into the world an animal that may suffer or even die as a result of something that is 100% preventable. Worse still, in this case your decision to do so can not even be financially justified. The market for NH riding horses is basically zip. Sure, there are dozens of things that could potentially go wrong while riding a horse -but why choose to ride something that could, in a moment of stress (like walking a narrow trail along a cliffside?) suddenly start to twitch uncontrollable and even fall over? I don't know about you, but I would feel lower than scum if I were to hear that somebody died while riding a horse I bred as a result of something I had full knowledge of. An extreme example? Sure. Implausible? Absolutely not.

Roman's human, I really hate to have to tell you this (especially since you are probably going to ignore my advice.) But breeding an HYPP NH horse is always morally unconscionable. By so doing, you are deliberating choosing to bring into the world an animal that may suffer or even die as a result of something that is 100% preventable. Worse still, in this case your decision to do so can not even be financially justified. The market for NH riding horses is basically zip. Sure, there are dozens of things that could potentially go wrong while riding a horse -but why choose to ride something that could, in a moment of stress (like walking a narrow trail along a cliffside?) suddenly start to twitch uncontrollable and even fall over? I don't know about you, but I would feel lower than scum if I were to hear that somebody died while riding a horse I bred as a result of something I had full knowledge of. An extreme example? Sure. Implausible? Absolutely not.

[Not Worthy] Well Said Bryna. I think that's also what Hibiscus meant when she said the mare didn't deserve to use her uterus. I don't believe it was a stab against the mare and her abilities, but being N/H.

Roman's Human, I just have to ask. Do you know about HYPP? Do you know how the disease affects the body and what it can do to it? I really hope you do your research. Learn all about it, ask questions. After you have a good idea about how the disease works and affects your horse, rethink your breeding plans. If you still choose to breed her after knowing all about the disease, then you are no better than breeding a LWO, Herda.

Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis <-- Here's the Wikipedia definition of the disease.

Google videos as well.

Ditto to both of you.

Thank you for your opinion. But to say my mare doesn't derserve her uterus is alittle harsh considering you've never seen her, her movement, or seen her show. So thanks again for your opinion.

Its not at all harsh to state that she doesn't deserve to use her uterus (at such a young age, even) considering the fact you've done nothing to prove to us that she is good enough to reproduce.

Really, she just looks good in your eyes. Sure shes placed, but at what level of shows? How can we see her movement, when you've done nothing to show us what shes like with videos or conformation pictures?

All you've done is given us every reason why you SHOULDN'T breed her: First & foremost- shes N/H; second- shes 4 years old; third- shes not proven at a level beyond local.

When shes starts winning at breed shows, and high level shows... then maybe people around here could see it. Otherwise, a smart stallion owner, with stock thats worth reproducing, wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.

Sorry if that was too "harsh" for you, but a lot of people on this board will still post their opinion on someone who is adding to the overpopulation with the possibility of an HYPP affected horse. Its irresponsible.

JMHO.

Roman's Human, I just have to ask. Do you know about HYPP? Do you know how the disease affects the body and what it can do to it? I really hope you do your research. Learn all about it, ask questions. After you have a good idea about how the disease works and affects your horse, rethink your breeding plans. If you still choose to breed her after knowing all about the disease, then you are no better than breeding a LWO, Herda.

Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis <-- Here's the Wikipedia definition of the disease.

Google videos as well.

Well said Zuesy.... from all her previous posts, she seems oblivious to the condition.

hi Roman! im sure some of these gals are coming across as a little harsh but they truly have the best interest of the horse in mind. sometimes the thought of breeding your beloved mare can stop us from taking everything into consideration @ times. & just because your mare is wonderful does not mean she will produce the same! sometimes quite the opposite! & some of these ladys may have first hand account of a HYPP N/H horse. i personally know a gal who has been breeding for years & she had a gorgeous mare who was positive for HYPP (notice i said had) & she rolled the dice & had her bred with a non HYPP stud. well the baby was born & within the first few days the filly started having non-stop seizures, now i dont know if you've ever had to deal with someone you love (let alone being responsible for) have a seizure, my son (dog) has epilepsy & its horrible. its the most helpless feeling anyone can have to watch. anyway the foal was put down & the mare several years later died from complications from HYPP. i think it was Miss Mother Nature who said it would be a great idea to go get a foal from a reputable breeder who has everything your looking for, plus i quarantee it would be cheaper & less stressful! LOL! BUT IF you do decide to go forward with breeding your mare PLEASE make sure you know all the facts & if the foal has complications you can afford everything that goes with it. including the possibility of having to put down this special little baby you & your mare have waited 11 months for. & one last thing, check the stallions babies!!!!!!!! the stallion can be the nicest looking *** you've ever seen but if he throws ugly he aint worth a chit! alright i hope this didnt come across wrong i just wanted to add a little info ive learned over years of doing this! thanks for listening & best of luck with whatever you choose! [smiley Wavey]

Also, big ditto to what these gals have said. Could you PLEASE make your signature smaller? Its WAY to big. Thanks.

~stars