Zinge

Allegany State Park Ny Ride July 2010

okay so if anyone sees a cheap horse trailer, can be small it doesnt matter, in good shape let me know! i will be keeping an eye out and looking and as long as you guys dont mind a total beginner to the horse camping thing then we will be there! may not make reservations though and come over for a day or what not because I have no money to reserve anything!

I finally got my map today in the mail. So I will call tomorrow and reserve. I want site 7 and 8. Hopefully they are still open.

Rocket_boy what is cheap to you? I have one cheap and in good shape, but my cheap might be more than your cheap. LOL

Yee-Haw!! This will be fun. I actually have a few more friends from this area who are interested in coming, we might just pack that campground full!

Can you all take pictures of the camp for me? Still thinking about heading down in August or September.

BullsMom, so you arent going to make it down when we are all there? Guess I cant remember who's all going and who's not anymore, LOL! Wish you could, it will be great fun!!

Got to split up the holidays I only get two weeks and we are off to Otter Creek in June.

ok, just did a map quest, its only 3 1/2 hours away , would REALLY like to join every one, the horses are ready but i don't know about tying them to a line all nite? any way to get them used to it or are there stalls up there? this will be our first over-niter, HELP!!!!!

ok, just did a map quest, its only 3 1/2 hours away , would REALLY like to join every one, the horses are ready but i don't know about tying them to a line all nite? any way to get them used to it or are there stalls up there? this will be our first over-niter, HELP!!!!!

We'd love to have ya...there are a few stalls but they're who ever gets there 1st....

some hi tie...I & Charmer have electric fence we bring..its great....

Take the plunge and join us...you have to start sometime...

Most of us that are coming have met on Horse City...I've made some great friends...

Looking forward to meeting you.

Edited by horsenaround

Bob, there are some tie straight stalls there but they are first come first serve. You would be surprised how well horses actually do on a picket line. If they tie, they usually tie nice to a line, when problems occur (just had to help with a horse this weekend all wrapped up) its human error, high and tight is the secret. But, you can also put up a portable corral. Thats what I usually do and I know Charmer does too. For such a long weekend the horses really do appreciate it.

Congrats on the first overnighter....woooo-hooo!! I remember mine!

Sure, you can practice picketing at home, or you can practice the portable corral at home. Thats how I started out, always tried everything at home first. Now, I dont bother. I just take the horse if they have never done it and just see how they do. Keep in mind, there will be many of us there willing to help.

To tell you a story, a few years ago when we did this, I had 5 horses in a large corral, at midnight one horse spooked and went through the rope. So he is running through everyones camp. Everyone came out to help catch him. I got him back in the corral and looked at what a mess, posts and line down everywhere, I started to fix it and thought it would take me all night...I looked up and here was a HC pal at every post fixing line and posts!! Done in 5 minutes!!! What a great group!! So...when you camp with us...you are never alone!!!!

From ohio, it should be a pretty easy drive for you, once you are on the interstate its highway all the way to the camp ground.

ok' let me talk to the mrs. see if i can talk her into it, we got a new goosenevk trailer to do more trail riding, this will be a good chance to start, since it sounds like there will be plenty of help if needed, is there still spots avail? we've only camped in our 5th wheel camper so this will be a stretch for her.

Im sure there are still spots left. Get in touch with fieldstone she has cancelled and I think she had a spot reserved, you could always buy hers. Or just call the park. I think some where in this post I listed the park phone number. yes, a good way to get started is to have people to help out. We will be more than happy to lend a helping hand to help get your horses settled in. It will be a good time. As you have prob read, there are trail maps so you can go out and ride at your own pace. The camping area is not huge, its not like we are all miles away from each other. There is water there for horses and a porta potty. We will post more on the plan but I think on saturday we will all do dinner together. Everyone bring a dish to pass. Also, for those who dont have a shower in thier trailer, you can drive down the road to a group of cabins, they have a shower house there we are allowed to use. Also all remember...no electric...boooo!!!

Bob, I hope your woman decides she wants to come check out this area. We have a few different places to camp and ride, a few horse clubs etc. Very nice riding around here!

Do join us Bob, it will be lots of fun. I have never high-lined my horses but I do like the portable corral we set up. The horses like it too.

Zinge, do you have hay we can buy this year? I will need 6 bales if you have it. I'm just trying to plan out what we need to bring.

Bob, Yes, join us!!!

Charmer, 6 bales will not be a problem. Not sure if I can fit it in my truck or not but I will try to hook up with Kaylo, or we have a few other friends going so someone will be able to haul it over for me. So yes, I will get it there for you! Just make sure you remind me when the time is near.

I cant wait!! Im looking forward to it. Im thinking about going on thursday, getting set up etc. What day are you guys planning on getting there?

We'll be there Thursday.

Thanks about the hay. It will help us out tremendously. If it is to much of a hassle just let me know.

well its not looking good, she is not really into roughing it, camping without the camper that is, and she says she couldn't sleep with her horse tied to a line, so i guess we are just going to do one day trail rides for now d..m it, was looking forward to a overnighter!!

[smiley Wavey]

Hey Bob - tell wifey to just suck it up -- just joking!! [surrender]

My hubby usually tells everyone my idea of camping is the Holiday Inn!!!!

Our trailer living quarters are nothing fancy - hubby put them in about 3 years ago

basically just a blow up matteress and a few cupborads

I'm sure something can be worked out with securing your horses

like Zinge says there will be alot of people around willing to help out. [Crazy]

Charmer - we can bring hay also - let us know!!

So we need to get a list of who's coming

Are we do the Saturday night dinner?????

we'll be there Friday afternoon

cj

Edited by kaylo