Sign in to follow this  
doublecut04

Chris Cox Saddles?

Don't know much about them, but maybe I can offer some advice if you told me what exactly you are looking for in a new saddle. What are you going to use it for? How often will it be used? That sort of thing.

honestly you can get a really nice quality training saddle for 1/2 that price. Hubers Custom saddlery training saddle is about $750 and a Steve Flick you can get for about $900. A lot of people on the QH circuit use these, but you can pay more, I think both are some of the nicest work saddles you can buy.

I'm looking for a ranch cutter or ranch roper type saddle. I mainly ride the trails and do competive rides. I ride every day. Up to 4 or 5 horses a day. Some older trained some younge and green. I work on a ranch a lot penning cows and such to. It needs to be able to fit a lot of horses mostly QH in type.

Thanks!!

Honestly, I really like my Rocking R Training saddle.. it's comfy and has lots of attachment points. You can get them anywhere between $750 and 900.

I own a Bob's Custom Saddle. It is a trainer saddle with a pleasure seat, with rough out on it. I only trail ride with it. This was my very first saddle and I LOVE it. I gave 1700.00 for it. Don't plan on ever purchasing another saddle in my life time. Very nice saddle.

I got me a new Paul Taylor saddle this year. My trainer has all Paul Taylors.....he found them when he was down working in Tx. Once I rode in his, I was pretty sure I had to get ride of my big ol roper and get a cowhorse saddle from here. NICE saddle for the money. I LOVE my saddle.

http://www.paultaylorsaddlecompany.com/

I got me a new Paul Taylor saddle this year. My trainer has all Paul Taylors.....he found them when he was down working in Tx. Once I rode in his, I was pretty sure I had to get ride of my big ol roper and get a cowhorse saddle from here. NICE saddle for the money. I LOVE my saddle.
I've looked at these saddles online and liked what I saw - nice to hear from someone who actually HAS one! Thanks for posting!

Well. I bought a Ranch Cutter at South Texas Tack. The In house brand. I sat in many styles many saddles both there brand and not.

Here it is!!

a0e46f93.jpg

I sat in this saddle the first time. Liked it the most out of all of them. Came back sat in it again and said yep. Its the one. I wasn't real wild about the light oil. But He assured me it would darken up. But Color aside. Its nice!

85ab2add.jpg

Close up of the snake trim

3a34ada4.jpg

59301eb5.jpg

Side

bf2d6472.jpg

He Simi-Custom built it for a lady. But He had it built to big.

If I don't like it. I can take it back. Try another one. Another style whatever.

Congrats on the new saddle! Keep us posted on how you (and the horses) like it. South Texas Tack is one of my favorite places to go on a rainy day. We live northeast from Huntsville, so it's a drive, but they've got the best prices and sellection for anything horse-related.

They do!! Have you been out since they added on? They have boots and jeans now!! and there trying to get english tack!! They have SOO much room now!!

Thanks!!

i attempted to order a Chris Cox saddle. I have purchased several headstall sets (amazing equipment) hundreds of dollars in videos, etc i am probably one of Chris's biggest fans. When we decided to purchase a saddle, i e-mailed ahead of time exactly what i wanted, basically all JB had to do was take my credit card. I was pretty disappointed when i was told he didn't have time, with meetings etc, and would get back to me later.

Ok, not good to let someone think on spending several thousand dollars. None the less, when i never got the call, i called back, i let JB know if my disappointment, i felt pretty insignificant, as i don't think the person who mans the phones should say "i will get back to you later on your order".

Needless to say, my feelings were hurt, i didn't order a saddle and have not heard a word.

Oh well, guess it was not meant to be. I am still a huge fan, but will never order equipment videos again. Will be content to watch on RFD.

Somebody was selling two CA saddles, never been ridden in, for a grand a piece on CL near me. I would have grabbed one had I had the extra cash to spare.

I love the tooling on your saddle and the A fork. Very nice~!!

i attempted to order a Chris Cox saddle. I have purchased several headstall sets (amazing equipment) hundreds of dollars in videos, etc i am probably one of Chris's biggest fans. When we decided to purchase a saddle, i e-mailed ahead of time exactly what i wanted, basically all JB had to do was take my credit card. I was pretty disappointed when i was told he didn't have time, with meetings etc, and would get back to me later.

Ok, not good to let someone think on spending several thousand dollars. None the less, when i never got the call, i called back, i let JB know if my disappointment, i felt pretty insignificant, as i don't think the person who mans the phones should say "i will get back to you later on your order".

Needless to say, my feelings were hurt, i didn't order a saddle and have not heard a word.

Oh well, guess it was not meant to be. I am still a huge fan, but will never order equipment videos again. Will be content to watch on RFD.

Don't give up yet. Chris cox saddles are worth the wait. if you know Chris you know that he expects the highest Quality in all his products. His saddle is no exception. I have one and don't feel sore or tired after riding and the next day no pain. I have one on order for my husband and can't wait to have him ride in it. I;ve been watching EBay for 2 years and

have only seen 2 saddles 1 of which I bought and the other just went for 1800. so they do indeed hold their value as well. I believe if you want something you should get it by what ever means you have available.

Currently Chris is working on getting the tree perfected. He really wants the contact with the horse to be correct.

JB is no longer working at the ranch so you can call again

to say you won't purchase any videos would be a great lose for you and your horses.

Vicki B

Well, I love my Pat Wise balance ride saddle, made by Vic Bennett, that I;ve had for about 30 years

Started and rode numerous horses with it, and still my favorite working saddle today

It featured close contact way before the rest of the western saddle brand names followed suit

It also alllows for great leg movement, well as contact.

To Vicki B, Thanks for helping me feel better. I was pretty bummed. Although i haven't attempted to reorder another saddle, we did go to Chris's clinic in Woodside California a few weeks ago.

We did buy quite a bit more equipment, (i know i said we weren't going to) but when you see his tack, it is so far superior to other tack, you just can't help yourself. Even something as simple as the keeper on the pulling collars, without the keeper, reins get caught up in the leather that hangs down. It is just very well thought out, and pure quality.

I am like a riding billboard for Chris. I have his hats, vests, headstalls/bits/mecate, all with his logo.

It's worth it, he deserves the recognition.

I wished everyone could have seen him start the 2 yr old filly a the clinic. If you haven't started horses before, a lot of it would be lost on the viewers. His timing is unbelieveable. Although this filly would have bucked when she was saddled, his timing to disengage, stopping the process of her preparing to buck was perfect.

Even when he mounted and the filly was a little goosy, considered bucking, he did the complete opposite of what most of us would do. We would sit back on our pockets and get ready for the ride, Chris leaned forward and began to pet vigorously, she stopped that bucking thought process and on they went.

It was just so neat to see someone with that timing. I still want one of his saddles, BAD, but not prepared to go through that insignificant feeling again. Glad you got yours, and have another one coming, good for you. Thanks for answering my blog, i felt better after reading it. (oh, we are also going to watch "road to the horse". Can't wait!!!!!!!!

i would love to sit in one of the CC saddles. (if anyone has one in California and wouldn't mind)

With the change in the tree, were you given a time line for getting your husbands saddle?

At the time i was prepared to order, it was a minimum of 9 months. not a problem, just curious.

Oh, although ALL the videos are very very good, the trail riding video is one you could watch 20 times and see something new every time. It is well worth the money ten times over.

Just wanted to let everyone know. I LOVE my saddle. It has fit eveything but high withered TBs. Ridden 16+ miles a day in and never got sore!

My dad has Cutter by South Texas tack and he loves it. Never gets sore in it.

South Texas tack is AMAZING!