Sign in to follow this  
CatNip81

The Government Has Your Childs Dna

Lets say your child has the genetic mutation for some disease and your doctor notifies you. You are unaware that any genetic testing was ever done. How would you react? Would you be grateful or concerned?

What are they doing with the DNA after they have found genetic mutations? Do they keep them on file? Can they be used against you for the purpose of criminal convictions? Are they making clones?

I know that last one is a bit out there, but he fact of the matter is that America i the land of the free. The free that are free to make decisions like "does the government need a copy of my child's DNA?"

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/04/baby....x.html?hpt=Sbin

I'd be grateful. If your child turns up sick and you already know there's a marker for a certain illness, it makes diagnosis easier.

We, in time, are going to have universal health care where nobody is going to be turned away or refused insurance, no matter what their illness, so the point of the insurance issue is moot.

Keeping records of everyone's DNA is only beneficial, IMHO. It also makes identifying criminals alot easier. If everyone's DNA is in a data bank, perpetrators will be found in an instant.

OK, so call me crazy, I don't care. Before he died two years ago, my brother in law said the government is tryng to ?liminate a lot of citizens by implanting them with a microchip whenever they got a shot for anything, especially senior citizens. NO, I didn't believe it and made fun of him at the time, but with the way things are going now, I'm not so sure. The health thing, Nais, whatever else, I'm slowly starting to wonder with all the things that are going on today. If you think I'm crazy, fine, but with all the micrchip technology today, don't you ever wonder what they may/may not be doing to us without our knowledge? Just thinkin''

out loud.

Got my flamesuit on, so I ain't ascared of you bullies! [ROTFL]

OK, so call me crazy, I don't care. Before he died two years ago, my brother in law said the government is tryng to ?liminate a lot of citizens by implanting them with a microchip whenever they got a shot for anything, especially senior citizens. NO, I didn't believe it and made fun of him at the time, but with the way things are going now, I'm not so sure. The health thing, Nais, whatever else, I'm slowly starting to wonder with all the things that are going on today. If you think I'm crazy, fine, but with all the micrchip technology today, don't you ever wonder what they may/may not be doing to us without our knowledge? Just thinkin''

out loud.

Got my flamesuit on, so I ain't ascared of you bullies! [ROTFL]

Concerning the size of the needles for michrochips, You would know something was up if they stuck you with one of those when you were only supposed to be geting a "shot". The needle is pretty big compared to a regular needle.

The michrochip can be felt through the skin once it's been inserted.

PA only holds samples three months...... in the csae of my other son Illinois held it 2 months.

There is a list of the length of time samples are held by state.

What are they doing with the DNA after they have found genetic mutations? Do they keep them on file? Can they be used against you for the purpose of criminal convictions?

Why is this a bad thing? Lets say you have a baby, DNA is taken and put on file, and 20 years later your baby ends up raping some teenage girl and his DNA is taken out of her. Problem is girl can't or won't ID him. It's then put into the database, and comes up with a hit. Why would you not want this to be possible?

If DNA is used in criminal convictions, it's because one committed a criminal act.

Edited by GSDLeaderPup

What about this story? http://www.wbur.org/npr/123232331 That's just the summary, and there's lots of articles on this if you care to look them up, it's interesting. But this woman's genes were kept for years, and millions were made from them because they turned out to be "special" (I don't think they quite know why they are special) but they have been used in many things. BUT, she never gave permission, her family never knew, and were never reimbursed and were very very poor their whole lives. I just read about it not too long ago, and it's interesting. Puts an interesting spin on things honestly.

What about this story? http://www.wbur.org/npr/123232331 That's just the summary, and there's lots of articles on this if you care to look them up, it's interesting. But this woman's genes were kept for years, and millions were made from them because they turned out to be "special" (I don't think they quite know why they are special) but they have been used in many things. BUT, she never gave permission, her family never knew, and were never reimbursed and were very very poor their whole lives. I just read about it not too long ago, and it's interesting. Puts an interesting spin on things honestly.

The cells that were taken from Henrietta Lacks were from cervical cancer that she had been diagnosed with in 1951 when she was 30 years old. The reason those cells were important are multiple, one being that the cells do not die. There is something about those cells that makes them as immortal as anything on this earth can possibly be. I believe they were also used in developing at least one vaccine (polio, I think, but I could be wrong). I bought the book and can hardly wait to read it!

IMO, if the Government wants to keep a record of my childrens' DNA? Cool! That way if they DO do something dumb, they can be held accountable for their actions. If their DNA helps find a cure for some disease? Even Better. If they go in to some datsbase where their DNA is tracked for "Breeding Purposes, somewhat like the equine breed database, all the more interesting, don't you think?

In the article I read about this, the family was quoted as saying that they now understand why the cells were taken for research, and were happy that the research could help others so many years later.