Sign in to follow this  
psmitty

Fei Bans Rollkur (hyper-flexion) Warm Up Method From Competition

"Dressage riders may be subject to closed-circuit television in the warm-up arenas at international shows after the decision of the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) yesterday to ban the contraversial ?rollkur? method of warming up a horse before a competition."

Full story and video here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/mor...icle7021298.ece

well i guess it's the first step in the right direction. too bad that the FEI seems to have no backbone. and i wish davison would have kept his 2 cents to himself.

thank you pdavissmith for posting this.

This is interesting to me. Who does the determining of whether or not the rollkur method is being used, as opposed to riding deep? Is there a time limit to how a horse can be ridden deep before it becomes an issue of rollkur?

My main idea is, I guess, who is going to judge this, and what are the parameters of which it will be judged?

~stars

stars--that's what i meant about the FEI being spineless. there probably will be observation cameras installed in warmup rings, but i'll just bet it'll be up to the public to make enough of a stink to see any kind of enforcement. and of course this will have 0 effect on what is done at home.

and roll-kur is like a duck; if it walks like one, looks like one and acts like one, it probably is one. it has pretty clear physiological characteristics (and down the road health problems). there are a LOT of websites on this topic, complete with pictures that depict the typical carriage of a horse being riding with roll-kur.

Thanks Nick. I AM familiar with rollkur methods. But I am wondering if the general viewing public will know the difference between rollkur and simply riding deep. If you re going to enforce something, you have to put parameters on it.

I get what you mean though, that its just all for show, and that honestly nothing will be done.

~stars