Sign in to follow this  
ironbessflint

Returning To An Old Hobby

I'm sure there are plenty on this board who grew up riding, took a hiatus, and have since returned. This is my version.

I didn't start riding until I was 18. What I DID do, however, was play clarinet. And sax, piano, a bit of flute, and whatever else I could get my hands on. But clarinet mostly. Years of private lessons, professional horns, participating in three and four bands and symphonies. For as much time as the ponies require now, I certainly dedicated that much to my music, if not more. I spent a year as a clarinet performance major in college, decided I didn't have it in me, signed up for the riding lessons I'd always wanted, and put down my horn. Haven't played since or thought about it at all.

And over the last month or so I've decided maybe I'd like to play again. Casually. And it's WEIRD coming back! Things I used to do without thinking require much more attention. My fingers can still fly over the scales, but my embouchure isn't up to snuff at all. And reading music...that's just hit or miss. I can go several bars without thinking, and then all of a sudden my brain freezes and I'm counting lines. It's a foreign language I used to be so fluent in! It's frustrating and amusing all at once :-P

It's coming back fast, but what a weird thing! Who else has returned to a previous passion? How did it go? Have you stuck with it??

Edited by ironbessflint

I just started taking piano lessons again last week, after 8 years off! I know what you mean about music being a foreign language... I used to be able to play anything by sight, and now I have to go so slowly to get it right. I'm sure it will get better soon with practice, though.

I grew up doing musical "stuff." In 2nd and 3rd grade I was involved in a choir club, then I took up piano lessons. In Jr. High I quit piano lessons and took up playing trumpet in the school band and choir. I did that all through Jr. High and high school, so 5th grade-Senior year. When i went to college I stopped. I was tired of it and didn't want anything to do about it. I took intro to piano my Junior year. It was kind of fun. Reading music, which had been second nature, was a little hard at first, but I remembered pretty quickly. Eventually I'd like to get a piano or keyboard and take lessons again, but right now we don't have room or money for it.

Good luck re-learning to play. I doubt I could pull my trumpet out and play it...at all. When I was in band we always had our alumni and parents play on homecoming. It hasn't really happened in the last year or two and I'm always tempted to go back, but I don't have an instrument and I just don't think I could.

I lost my inspiration to play my clarinet over four years ago and I haven't even picked it up since. I loved playing with the rest of the band, but our music directors pushed too hard and I resented it. Thus finishing my last year of band after five years. I then dedicated my time and attention to my horse and haven't looked back.

I played drums through school, and would love to play again. Like you the few times I've tried, the music reading has been VERY rusty. Drums have their own version of written music, looks the same, but the notes are different drums or cymbals. I'd have to do a lot of practice to get the coordination back too, and A LOT of practice to get my left hand working decently. But alas, I have nowhere to put my set. My cats would totally freak, along with my neighbors I suspect. So they sit in the attic, I can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Good luck! I hope you continue to enjoy it again

I also played the clarinet in school, and enjoyed it. I also took piano lessons as a kid, but quit. However, I never stopped playing altogether, just didn't take the lessons. Several years ago, the church that I was attending had a split. One of the people that left was the piano player. I offered to play. I wasn't sure if I could do it, or how well I'd be able to play, but did it anyway. I'm now at another church, and for a few years, was the only person in the church who could play. We got a new minister, his son and DIL started to attend, so she's plays for the morning service, I play for everything else. And, I've gotten quite good at sight reading. My only problem is my hands, especially my right one. I have some problems which at times means I have trouble getting the fingering on harder pieces right.

As for the clarinet, a couple of years ago, I bought a used one. I was amazed at how much of the fingering I still remembered, but I don't have the time to work at it. My problem is the amount of air I need to play!