Sign in to follow this  
ABcowgirl

Best Trail Riding Cinch

Hey so im looking at buying a new cinch this year before we head back to the sandhills.

last yr i used my roper style fleece lined cinch and found it rubbed to much on my horse while tackling hills. The next time we went out I used my roper style strand cinch. it wasn't bad but still not a fan.

What type of cinch do you find works best? The trail riding we do isn't flat easy goin. Its hard hills after hard hills and all day rides. If you have any suggestions let me know.

We use a variety, so we can change from day to day.

I like rope cinches, and neoprene for some horses. Mohair would be my preference, although I don't currently have one.

We ride in hilly areas, usually about 5-7 hours at a time (just not lately, come on spring!)

It varies depending on the horse too, my mare can handle anything, but my husband's horse doesn't do well with neoprene.

Sounds like all of our riding conditions are similar! I have never had a problem when using a high, quality Mohair girth. We never have soreness or rub spots. They seem to stretch well, dissipate heat great and aid in keeping the saddle stable as your horse reduces girth size toward the end of the day. They dry quickly and I just clean them off by soaking in warm water and hang them to dry.

I use a dressage model and my husband rides with a western one. They require a bit more maintenance than just being able to do a wipe off as with some of our neoprene versions but for the horse and the type of challenging riding we like to do, we much prefer the mohair.

I believe we purchased them at the distancedepot.com. The Montana Cincha version we found works just a well as the custom ones we've had done up for us. And, if you go with a mohair, you may want to consider purchasing 2 if you are doing difficult back-to-back day rides or so your horse can have a clean, dry cinch each day you are riding.

Good luck, hope my opinion helps.

I prefer neoprene when the horse has the skin to take it. I think neoprene has less slip than other cinches and therefore can be left more loose that other styles.

Neoprene is also easy to clean, a quick wipe with a damp cloth after the ride is all it takes.

Some horses have more sensitive skin and can not take neoprene. For those I use either a felt or mohair. Mohair I think is better than felt but for some reason I have had it cause galls more than felt or neoprene.

The bad thing about felt or mohair is they collect burs and sand and those things are difficult to clean out. Then they cause galls or sores when dirty. That is why I much prefer neoprene since it is so easy to clean.

Just make sure not to get your girth or cinch too tight using synthetic straps and or girth/cinch. Personally I have pretty good balance and my girth is so loose if I don't use girth keepers it travels out the back of my saddle on my rides.

I have a strand type mohair cinch and like it. I started Siseley with a neoprene one, and found with the heat and stuff, it became too slippery and the saddle would slide. I have also used a canvas covered with fleece type cinch and it worked well as it spread the tension out across her belly, but was a bit slippery after about two hrs at 85-90 degrees here in the desert.

Steve

Edited by siseley

Most of mine right now are the waffle weave type of cinches. They are not very expensive and I have not had any problems. I've used the Mohair and Neoprene also. But as they get old they get moved to my highline kit.

It depends on the horse as to which cinch we use. The mare is more sensitive than the geldings, so she has a wool/felt one that was suggested for sensitive skin. Haven't had an issue with her since switching. The morab's we usually ride in neoprene but also have felt ones for them. The other gelding it depends on the time of year which one we use. Starting out riding season we use the sensitive skin wool/felt one and after riding for a while will switch him to a neoprene.

I like my fleece lined ones, but I find that a lot of the people I ride with always have galls with their, I did some looking at them, and found they were dirty, and ill kept.. I found that by washing them in a wash machine I get all the sweat and crud out, and then I do the same thing as my saddle pads, I use a dog brush on them to pull out any stickers.. if it roughs the fleece up some, I use a set of fine bladed clippers and just clip it clean looking..

Every horse I have galled was my own fault, I found that if I let someone else girth up, or if I am not paying attention to where the saddle sits in reference to the girth, usually being too far foward, that I would gall my horses.. but If I took the time to note where the girth sits, is it right behind the elbow, or does it give some room, then I dont gall horses.. a lot of people, my BO's neighbor have the same thaught, saddle goes up on the withers (ugh) and the girth goes right in the elbow region, and they get mad when their horse galls..

I found that makeing sure where my girth rested made a lot of difference on my horses, no more galls..

but if I have to choose a type of girth I prefer over the rest, I like my Fleece Lined Smart Cinch.. easy to clean and doesnt kill me to girth up..

My aussie has a neoprene girth, I personally hate the amount of care it really needs. But If I make sure to wipe it down after ever ride, and keep the dirt and debree off it, then it lasts, but it is slimy and slick when I do remove it. good thing for good saddle fit.

I have a gelding that galls easily, sometimes no matter how clean the girth is, how careful you are about how it is placed, and how much you stretch their front legs forward. Three words: Bickmore Gall Salve

I ride him in a felt smart cinch, roper style.

Thanks for the input. Mohair is what i was looking at. now to choose a brand. Weaver Smart Cinch Mohair 27 Strand Roper and the Billy Cook 100% Mohair Roper Cinch are the two i've come down to.