Sign in to follow this  
Sakura18

Western Rider Turning English

Hello everyone, I'm getting a 10yr Morgan gelding. He is more on an English type horse,and i would LOVE to learn to ride hunt seat. I have a good trainer that I can take lessons with,but was wondering about what size of saddle I would need.

I ride in a 15 inch western seat,and i'm short and somewhat skinny.Could you please tell me what size I would need?

I ride in a 15" western saddle, and a 17" english although a 16.5 would also work for you.

do you still have your halfinger? :)

i ride in a 16 inch western saddle, but i bought an 18 inch english saddle and it still is pretty small. the general rule is aobut 2 seat sizes up, but that isn't always correct lol. you may want to talk to your trainer and see what you can find out!

Sadly, I don't have my Haflinger anymore. I lost my job in August so I could no longer afford to keep her. [Me Cry] I still miss that little mare.

This is for a Morgan gelding. My aunt wants me to show him in Hunters,but I know nothing about it. But I am taking lessons!

are you going to be doing BREED shows are OPEN? that might make a difference...and the style of gait he has...I know when I had gotten my 1st arab and was doing Open shows he was too "upright" to do western pleasure,and never placed against the "stock" horses so I changed to saddle seat,and had lot better showing as I was competing with "like gait'd horses" A lot of Morgans show saddle seat or western .I don't know about Hunt Seat ? they like a more Thoroughbred looking horse(for hunters), at most open shows,so I think I'd go to the ones you think the horse would fit in at and see..1st before you invest a lot of time and money.But on the up-side learning English is a good thing!I had both my girls learn it even if they shows western.it make you a better rounded rider

As a general rule of thumb, you'll add 2 to your western seat size to get the correct English seat size. But since you'll be taking lessons, let your instructor guide you. She/he will probably have a couple of saddles that you can try to find out what will fit you best.

All all purpose saddle like a Stubben Siegfried or a Crosby Olympia is a great saddle to start with. You will find some people in the hunter world who snub the idea of an all purpose saddle, but the Siegfried in particular has been around for so long that I believe it passes muster nearly everywhere. The seat is a bit deeper and more secure than most close contact saddles, and because it's deeper, you may need a bigger size than you would with a flatter-seated saddle.

Good luck with the switch, and welcome to English riding. Once you've talked to your instructor, you'll have a better idea of the right saddle for you. And you're better off to buy a good quality used saddle than a brand new "no-name" saddle.