Sign in to follow this  
charliegirl

Advice On A Near Perfect Jc Higgins Saddle

I may have the chance to buy a 1965 JC Higgins saddle. The owner has had it since new and its hardly been used. He wants $799AUS for it, I just wanted to find out if thats to much.

!BmOOFwQBWk~$(KGrHqIOKiQEtMs,Zr6uBLe3YKZV1Q~~_12.JPG!BmON92wCGk~$(KGrHqMOKjEEtqF%20Q-TLBLe3(dM6rg~~_12.JPG

!BmONyMgBGk~$(KGrHqQOKjgEtlc,7SJQBLe3WRM-PQ~~_12.JPG

!BmONvow!2k~$(KGrHqYOKkQEtljTg5C3BLe3WB0Tg!~~_12.JPG

very cool! BUT you want it for a "Dinning Room Ornament" right? looks like that is where its spent it days! so pretty! sounds like a nice price if your a collector! but man I'd hate to USE it!too nice :happy0203:

Have you asked if it has a rawhide-covered tree? Bona Allen made a wide range of saddles, from rent-string (camp) saddles to top-of-the-line saddles. The best would have a rawhide-covered tree. I almost never have given the asking price for a saddle, but that's just me. I liked to drive away grinning like a second-story jewel thief! Good luck!

Hello Jack! Its a rawhide covered tree. Its on Australia ebay so thats his starting price, Im thinking to leave it and if no one bids I will give him a call and bargin with him. The underside of the saddle looks as if its never been on a horse. Id like to use it as I need a saddle since I sold all of mine to move but Im not sure if Id be wise using a possible small investment. Although the cost as it is isnt great (I still have to find the $ to buy it mind you lol!) Do you think it would be a good using saddle being as it has hardly ever been used or would it be best if I just resold it in the states as there is no market for it here? Thanks!

I think it would be a good using saddle. I tend to be partial to the old Bona Allen's made in Buford, Georgia, as yours was. I've worked on countless saddles, and the BA's shouted quality in everyway. As the old cowboys were wont to say, it'll do to ride the river with. [smiley Wavey]

Thank you for your imput. I will try and pull some money together, we only moved not to long ago and it cost a few $. If I end up buying it I will let you know : )

That saddle might be older than 1965 vintage. J. C. Higgins was a Sears "house name" for their line of sporting goods. They dropped that name and used Ted Willams' name on their sporting goods long before that. I have a 1966 un-marked Bona Allen roping saddle that I bought at Sears. They would not allow a manufacturer to put their own name on products.

Edited to say: I wish I knew the dimensions of the saddle in question. I found a couple of saddles in a 1959 Bona Allen catalog with the stirrup leathers outside the fenders. They are both "Association" (bucking horse) saddles, built on an associaion tree. Your possible saddle could very well be built on an association tree, but the rigging is not like that on bucking horse saddles. The front rigging on the bucking horse saddle appears to be the same as on yours.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

On the first saddle the stirrups aren't oxbows but Visalia stirrups.

J.C. Higgins didn't build any saddles and surely not for J.C. Penney. It was a house name for Sears sporting goods. The second seller has her/his saddle priced way too high.