de_equestrian

Critique?

Thank you everyone for the critiques, im trying to practice alot of them when i hack. Does anyone have any ideas for core exercises besides just sit ups ( i am doing sit-ups but wouldnt appreciate other ideas also).

And thank you for the defense. I was very very discouraged by beccs first comment, and seriously considered dropping out of the clinic that was coming up, it means alot to have people to defend me. Becc is banned now for her rudeness on this and other posts.

Becc is banned now for her rudeness on this and other posts.

errmm.. I think Spunkster is Becc reincarnated.. If I'm not mistaken..

Becc is banned now for her rudeness on this and other posts.

Sort of a shame, I was hoping to hear if MJ had really risen from the dead.

I'm not Becc haha! I swear. I've had this account for quite some time now (you can see when I joined) but I've never followed through with it.

Alsooo I saw her pictures from one of her older posts and I'm pretty sure I look absolutely nothing like her. Don't be so quick to judge me, it makes me sad.

Edited by Spunkster

Sort of a shame, I was hoping to hear if MJ had really risen from the dead.

bahahahaha. thanks for that, needed a chuckle after a long day. [ROTFL]

To the OP- You've gotten solid advice, nothing else to add really. Very nice horse, I personally think you look like a very nice pair together.

Alsooo I saw her pictures from one of her older posts and I'm pretty sure I look absolutely nothing like her.

Based on your profile pic you don't look like becc... based on the pics that becc posted I SERIOUSLY thought that Becc was a man! And then everyone started calling becc a "her" and I was like..... ooooh....

.... I'm still not sure I see it. :twitch:

Anyway, De I think you look lovely and that everyone made some good points here without being harsh. As far as core exercises... try Pilates! The exercises are centered around your core, they can be really simple and SUPER effective and MUCH better for your back than sit ups. Sometimes when doing pilates I don't feel like im working that hard, its actually kind of relaxing, then the next day when my abs are sore... I know it worked!

Based on your profile pic you don't look like becc... based on the pics that becc posted I SERIOUSLY thought that Becc was a man! And then everyone started calling becc a "her" and I was like..... ooooh....

.... I'm still not sure I see it. :twitch:

[ROTFL] Love it. I thought the SAME thing..Even though I knew who it was as soon as I saw the pictures.

And It really is a shame we won't ever find out about MJ. [Crazy] [ROTFL]

Try some Yoga or something. Crunches help some, but you really want more of an all-over toning and not just the abs. Plus crunches can really hurt your neck and back is not done correctly, or even if you do them right.

Or even just walking around with your abs engaged will help a ton. That's what I have always done. It doesn't require any extra time, just a bit of reminding yourself to do it until it becomes a habit.

And then, think about riding like a sack of potatoes a bit to get with the idea of relaxing in the saddle instead of posing. Try to relax and go with the horse instead of holding to keep from moving. You should feel like you are moving a lot because you are absorbing the movement of the horse with your own body.

Another thing that's good for a core workout is working on a balance ball (y'know one of those big rubber inflatable ones?). Doing crunches on those, and push ups with your ankles balancing on them is good for your core. You can google search exercises to do with a balance ball.

With my dressage background... salivation is a GOOD thing. It means the horse is accepting the bit.

Yes and no. I'm not commenting on the horse in these pictures, because he doesn't appear to be chomping nervously, but if they are nervously chomping the bit, they are going to salivate A LOT. You want a moist mouth, but not necessarily the excess saliva seen in some competition horses. It really depends on WHY the horse is producing that much saliva.

My mare, for example, is a big-time nervous chomper. It's just how she is. Even when ridden with soft hands, by some of the best Pro's out there, if you have contact she's chomping away like a nut. It's really not ideal, but sometimes there's not a lot you can do to fix it either. My young horse plays with the bit when he's not really accepting it, and he drools a lot when doing that, but with him it's a good indication that he's not paying attention. When he quiets down, he's actually paying attention and accepting the bit. He still has a moist mouth, but nothing like the rides where he spends the entire time playing with the bit, sucking it between his molars and chomping down on it.

Just for two examples, of course. Every horse is different. But more drool is not really better.

Been following this, then all of a sudden, I noticed you were from BC- then even better, I realized I know exactly what barn you ride at! :D Got to love the very recognizable gates in the back ground... Wish it was the creepy eye one, always makes me smile.

....who ARE you?

I'm bec, it's nice to meet you. And ima girl and i look like a girl too so that insult is fairly out of left field but eh, whateves.

Just noticed they banned this one too. wonder if theyre gonna leave anyone around here or they gonna kick out the whole place? tough to sell ads on a board that no one belongs to.

De,

You look like a lovely rider and I LOVE the horse you're riding.

You could send me that adorable horse and I'd bake you some cookies! Lots and lots and lots of them.

I think you could stand to relax a bit through your pelvis, lower back and ankles. You're a touch low on your inside shoulder sometimes too, just keep it in mind.

Don't let anyone tell you that horse isn't going well, he looks like he's beginning to work very well, and as you mentioned that these pictures were taken at the start of your ride I can only guess that he worked better and better as you rode.

If I were teaching you I'd tell you to sit up straighter and deeper, but the hunter half seat is very common. I just prefer a deeper, dressage influenced type seat.

Keep up the good work! You're doing well. And please, please bring more pictures of this cutie!

Thanks everyone for your great advice! I've been working hard on alot of the advice I've been getting. I've been doing alot of no stirrup work, alot of core strengthing exercises at home and alot of hacking on different horses.

If anyones interested I have a jumping video from a clinic I did a couple weeks ago. This is of course a different horse. this is Kai, my lease horse and potential show horse this summer.

This was a VERY hard clinic for both of us. He's a very sensitive horse and the clinician turned out to be a big advocate of the spur to go and hand to stop movement. It was a very different approach, but there was alot I took away from it. The clinician also LOVED Kai, and took extra time "fixing the damaged he had done" to use his words haha. This also happens to be a video of the exercise that was hardest on kai since he tends to overjump his bascule. At it's max, it ended up being a 3 foot oxer bounce to a 1 foot verticle no ground lines. It was very helpful, but for kai's little brains we're gonna scale down the first oxer for future use. We're not quite at this level yet

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vi...0020&ref=mf

Edited by de_equestrian

I would love to see the video, but I think your privacy settings aren't allowing public viewing of it. The horse in your original photos is gorgeous, and you look like a very capable rider. He looks good for your warmup of your first ride on him.