Sign in to follow this  
Filly_101

I Need Some Help

I need some help. I am scared to run on a horse. Right now I ride a ten year old AQHA mare until my little two and half year old flly is broke. My aunt is my trainer. I can get to a fast gallop but am afraid to go the little bit faster. I am going to start barrel racing and Id like to make a good time! :-)

So if you have any tips on how to get over my fear or a little friendly advice like something I could think about while I'm running. PLEASE tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the supervision of your aunt, of course.. maybe just try going for it? That's what I had to do back when I was riding hunter/jumpers and was kind of scared of the height of a jump. :] Like Nike says, just doo it!

Okay...this is going to sound nuts...but bear with me.

I had a fear of fast thing , too. Figured out it was not a fear of fast-thing...it was a fear of falling while going fast-thing.

Accidentally on purpose i found out how to get over it...as a teen and yound woman..I am older now and am afraid of broken bones/brittle-thing today...so any falling ain't too good.

We would gather up in the arena and play...a few of my buddies and their horses and my horse...we would all "play"...jumping on and off bareback horses...riding backwards...riding while lying down on back face up...jumping off while at a trot to see if we can land on feet and run along side...tirck stuff...goofy stuff...etc.

We got braver and braver...and the ground and the sand in the arena became trusted more...realized it is not that far up...not that hard to hit ground and maybe learned a few lessons on how to fall/jump/bail off correctly.

I would not have done this in the pasture or on hard ground...and I could stand to get in the arena again on Trey and do a bit of this...so I can see what my "today" limits are...

Try it...it's fun...if running fast in barrels is what you plan...then practice this in the arena with a few of friends and a good tolerant horse...I had a "don't ask...don't want to know" kind of horse back then...he just mainly pretended I wasn't there.

You will bond with your horse doing this, too.

But...safety first...don't get stupid and make sure what you do is not going to hurt horse.

That was my safety disclaimer so nobody on HC thinks I am 'one of those" owners we discuss.

Have fun....

I had a "don't ask...don't want to know" kind of horse back then...he just mainly pretended I wasn't there.

[ROTFL] hahahahaha on that quote.. but to me this actually sounds like a practical idea. I've heard of a lot of barns in my area not so much playing around like that, but instructors teaching their riders HOW to fall off of a horse, AT ALL GAITS! (including a gallop, yikes). It sounds like the same concept to me though. Good idea TPL! :]

i was afraid of falling off too when running when i first got my horse. my mom would then pony me on her horse so that i could get balance and not have to worry about my horse. galloping on my horse now is really fun!

"As for God, His way is perfect. All the Lord's promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to Him for protection. For who is God except the Lord!" (Psalm 19:30)

thats a good verse. :)

Edited by HorseyGirl4evr