Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

So vet came to do vacs & pull coggins & I had her look at this wart thing on Rexs right hindquarter, down almost level with the stifle but actually on his hind quarter.

She said it was a sarcoid! I was like WHAT?! I thought they were like fleshy and red and gross. But nope, his is the flat, crusty kind. Its like the size of an M&M and only one. She had this stuff called Xxterra to put on it. I bought it but called and spoke to Jill. She has some stuff to treat it homeopathically that worked for her pony (who had LOTS of them) and her neighbors gelding who had huge ones that havent been back in over 8 yrs. So I called my holstic vet to get her directions and if that doesnt work, I guess Ill use that creme. But the Xxterra is very caustic and basically makes a big wound and the skin and sarcoid slough off and if it doesnt go totally away when it heals, you do it all over again. Just sounds very invasive to me. But either way, Im going to figure out something to feed him to help boost his immune system. He just doesnt seem to like Florida life. First the habronema and now a sarcoid... just seems like he may need a little boost.

Rode Layla... just easy stretchy work and I was riding in more of a forward, 3 point seat. My holstic vet was here on Wednesday and she got adjusted and accupunctured. She was out in her right occiput, C3, C6, C7, right SI, right knee, and her low back was spasming. Figures with the way she was being a tard last week with pulling back and all. So I gave her 2 days off and have her on robaxin for now. She did really well. I wore my tall boots to try to prep for wearing them at the show but geezus, I cannot do anything in them. Its not that they are really stiff.. its just ugh.. I dunno. BUT my show shirt came (the yellow one I posted) and it matches my saddle pad PERFECTLY. OMG... we are going to be little yellow spring flowers going down the center line (of course it will be very much within the rules and classy but SO cute!).

I dont have much help with the whole guy thing. Ive been with Randy for over 9 years... I forget how to play the game!

Emily, how much sugar/starch was he getting before you added in the new feed? I know soy can DEF have those effects but I thought it was more in mares due to the phytoestrogens. I hope you get him figured out.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Shantel- Riley had 5 sarcoids: withers, cheek, lumpy one on the corner of his eye, base of his ear, and armpit when I bought him.

Xxterra cured all of them. It got all nasty and gunky for a couple weeks, but they healed up, and are now flat and hairless.

Amore had a tiny one on her forearm, and one on her belly. The Xxterra didn't work as well on her belly, but the one on her forearm healed up and grew hair back and now you can't see it.

I would definitely recommend it. It's been 6 years for Riley. They were all the size of half dollars. The eye was was very lumpy. Amore's was the m and m size though.

Shantel, Mir was getting the Perform Safe from Seminole, which is only like 14% NSC. So if anything, it's LESS starch than he would have been getting on alfalfa. But soy can affect geldings and stallions too, because it's not just the phytoestrogens. The proteins can also cause allergic reactions. But if you look at the cultures that historically eat a lot of soy, they are also the same cultures who tend to have weird herbs and foods that they use to enhance libido in men. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe he doesn't tolerate MSM, because I did start him on that. But I would lean more toward the soy because it causes issues in more horses than MSM does.

I wouldnt have thought about the male libido thing but weird. I feed the boys Compete Safe (Laylas on Show n Sport) - LOVE IT. Anyways, Jills 2 mares are sensitive or "allergic" to soy - thats 90% of the issues with Mingo. She switched from soy based feeds and now does a custom vit/mineral mix from... oh geez is it Horsetech? Some company that she gets her flex from.. but theres NO soy and you can really tell a difference in her mares. And as a side note, her 27 y/o pony always had a bloated stomach and looked like he was 10 months prego. She took him off the soy and the stomach has come down like 1/2 way.

Are you going to try taking him off both the soy and MSM and wait until hes normal and then try reintroducing the MSM to make sure it isnt causing an issue too?

Alyse, very interesting. How bad of a wound does the Xxterra cause? The way my vet spoke, it sounded pretty nasty.

Probably going to watch the Derby today... I just hope there are no injuries or deaths!

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Well, since I ran out of MSM, he's coming off both for a little bit anyway! I'm going to see if Seminole has a high-fat feed without soy meal, even if it's lower in protein. He just needs the fat.

We went on a trail ride today and had a blast. I forgot how much I love taking Lucy on the trails. I can just buckle my reins onto the crap strap and let them drape, even trotting and cantering. She just follows the trail. She was dragging by the time we got back to the trailer though. Poor thing.

Well, the surface gets really crusty, then there is pus under it, usually within 2 days. I would peel of the scab and the oozy stuff, then it would just be a sore. We'd do 4 days on, 4 days off, 4 days on with the xxterra. It's not oozy by the end, and it'll dry up within a day.

Amore's little one, the size of yours, was really no big deal. It'll get bigger and more swollen when you do it, but it's not visible now.

Riley's were much larger, and much trickier, as one was literally on the corner of the eye, the other was right in front of the saddle, and the pad would rub it open every ride until I gave him a week off after a huge show we had in KY, and it healed then. Another was right under the browband.

They were nasty and pussier, but he didn't go off any work.

He's just a bit head shy still around that one ear.

Beckham had one in the corner of his eye last summer and my vet injected it with something and it crusted and came off. Hmmm...don't remember what we used though. It wasn't a big deal.

Emily, there are no commercial feeds that do not have soy, unfortunately. If you check out Horse Care on COTH and Vet Forum on UDBB, there are tons of posts about it. You have to get just a vit/min supplement in the chelated form and add in fat elsewhere that is not in a soy form either. Maybe one day there will be one esp now that horse owners are seeing the benefits of not feeding soy and are basically demanding commercial feed companies make a complete feed without soy.

How much did you pay for the Xxterra Alyse? For the little 2 oz jar, it was normally $100 but she let me get it for $80!!! INSANE honestly.

Got concrete stain for the back patio. Cleaned, etched, and sprayed it. Kind of disappointed... it doesnt look like the pics do and I followed the directions to a T. Might end up rolling it to make it solid instead of a spray pattern. But we did get just plain 12x12 white stone pavers for the top of the wall. Sprayed them with the concrete stain and they are the perfect shade for the wall. And at 95? a piece, you cant beat that.

Another day tomorrow in the 90s. I HATE this weather. Truly I do...

Actually, the Seminole Perfect 10 doesn't have any soy meal in it. It's 10% protein and 10% fat. It's 23% NSC, but for Mir that should be OK. It's really just the ones with protein over 10% that have soy meal.

WHOA! That much!?

Honestly, I got a 8 or 10 cc syringe . . . maybe $20, I still have some left over. Years old now, though.

That's why I did it, it was super cheap.

I'm looking online, and I'm seeing that the price is for the 1 oz jars . . . my vet must have drawn it out of one of those, into a small syringe. Really, I probably used an eighth of the 1 oz jar on all FIVE of Riley's.

It's just a very small coating 8 times.

You probably don't need a whole jar. I'll look and see if I have any left, I don't know if it expires or now.

Emily, but the Perfect 10 has soybeal hulls and soybean oil. My understanding was that any kind of soy should not be included in feed of horses who are sensitive to it. All Im going to say is that Im SO glad I dont have to worry about soy for my herd. *knock on wood* Feeds are confusing enough as they are!

Alyse, thats why I was kind of put off for having to buy the whole jar. Theres no way Ill ever use it all. My vet is going to be at the show this coming weekend. Im just going to return it and tell her I got some from a friend for free and get my money back. If nothing else, I can try the homeopathy form first and see if it works and then worry about getting the Xxterra later. If you have any, Id love to buy some of it from you!

The soy oil doesn't have any of the proteins or phytoestrogens in it, and generally the hulls are fine too. It's just the meal that has the stuff that causes allergies. Some horses will react to the hulls, but the oil is very very rarely an issue. It's really the meal you have to look out for. Most food allergies are to protein sources.

Lucy is getting her shoes back on tomorrow. I miss shod Lucy. Shod Lucy moves so much more free in front.

the past couple of days have been hot. Work has been crazy. I am at the oppisite side of the store of grocery. So I have been sweating like a pig. When I sweat a lot I don't eat right. Couple that with the bit of insomnia I have not been riding much. I wasn't planning on riding today after work.However my sister called and said my niece wanted to ride. I can hardly ever tell her no. Yep I am a sucker.

So I take my niece for a pony ride on Cheese. Cheese is so good with the little ones. My niece than informed me Cheese was her horse and she was always good. LOL. Then she told me I can ride Cheese any time I want. At one point chloe said" Aunt T you stay here I am going to go ride myself." Well since she is only 4 that wasn't going to happen. Than she kept wanting to race me back to her parents. Yep my sister is in trouble.

Off to get a shower amd do some reading. Hubby just bought me the latest Black Dagger Brotherhood book.

Monday (April 26th) was my TBI anniversary :) I'm so happy and healthy and can't wait to ride this summer!

It will be off and on because I need to find someone to ride, how to pay for it, time (taking 14 credits this summer) and the minor fact that my parents refuse to let me back on a horse :)

can't wait!

Emily, interesting about the soy. I didnt know it was mainly the meal. Good info!

Hannah, CONGRATS!

Monday morning already... blah... 4 more days til the weekend... lets start the countdown!

Shantel ? Poor Rex!! Hope the homeopathic remedy works for him. Glad to hear you got Layla adjusted. Sounds like she really needed it. Oh, you better believe I am counting down the work days with you ? I am ready for the weekend!!

Shiloh ? That sounds like a great trail ride with Lucy!!

CSA ? Definitely sounds like your sister is in trouble. Sounds like Cheese was a very good girl for your niece. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is really good, though I?ve only read the first few.

Dobby ? Congrats on your anniversary!! Hope you can find a horse to ride AND get your parents permission!!

I had my first unsupervised ride on Lieto in 6 months on Saturday morning. He was fantastic, for the ride. Then had a meltdown during the bath. Don?t care. He had to have a bath. He was just plain nasty. He had that winter funky smell thing going on. Gross!! He can dance all he wants, he?s still getting a bath. By the time I took him back to his field, he was totally brain fried, and thought it might be a good idea to be a complete idiot and play and leap and rear. I ignored him the first time hoping he would settle and walk nicely, but nope. The second time I spun around on him and made him back about 10 steps by yelling in face. That did it. He walked like a gentleman to his field. He?s pretty impressionable. He just has to be reminded every once in a while that manners are always required.

We spent the rest of the weekend playing on Jack?s new boat. He has it docked on the Charles River. We had to fix a few things on it Saturday afternoon, and Sunday there was a Walk for Hunger going past the front of the yacht club that we helped out with, but once Natalie got off work on Sunday afternoon, we took the boat out for a cruise down the river. It was just a stunning weekend for the first time with temps well over 80. Some photos of Boston from the river view:

Cruising down the Charles:

Charles02s.jpg

The Riverside Technology Center building ? I want to know what they do there that they need to bar all the windows like that!!!

Charles04s.jpg

The Boston Skyline:

Charles09s.jpg

One of the famous Boston Duck Boats:

Charles10s.jpg

The Hotel that I work for, though I work in the corporate offices on the other side of the river rather than the actual hotel:

Charles12s.jpg

More to come . . .

A view of The Hatshell from the water where The Boston Pops performs on the Fourth of July:

Charles15s.jpg

The Redline Train crossing the Charles River ? I take this train every day going to and from work:

Charles16s.jpg

The office building where I work marked by the red arrow, The Prudential is the tall building to the right, and the John Hancock is the super tall building on the left hand side of the picture:

Charles20se.jpg

The famous Boston Citgo sign:

Charles23s.jpg

Harvard University:

Charles26s.jpg

From the Charles River, you can go through the locks (a system sort of like the Panama Canal) out into the Ocean. I foresee much of our summer being spent at the yacht club and on the boat.

The only other ?interesting? thing this weekend was a MASSIVE water main break just west of us which has left about 2 dozen cities with no clean drinking water since late Saturday afternoon. I think the estimate is something like 430,000 homes with no useable water. We have a water ban in effect. You can not drink the water, cook with it, brush your teeth, wash dishes, use it in baby formula, etc. You can take a shower and use the bathrooms, but that is about it. There is a water ban in effect asking people to please conserve as much water as possible. All the stores in a 3 HOUR radius of here have been bought out of water!!!! Seriously. There were fights in the stores over bottled water that were so bad they are considering calling in the national guard. Fun times. They don?t estimate being able to repair the break and restore usable water for several more days. Fortunately, the water main break was east of the barn, so the horses weren?t affected. Their water is still okay, but just weird how this is affecting everything. Restaurants are all suffering badly, especially places like Dunkin? Donuts as they can not serve coffee. Hopefully it will get repaired quickly, but in the meantime, water is a very precious commodity around here.

~Shelly~

Shelly, Boston is just such a cool city! I miss going there for work occasionally (though we only got out of the training center once or twice the whole week).

That sucks about the water. It cannot even be boiled to use it? When we have had issues around here, they just have to boil it for a certain amount of time, and then you can use it. At least your barn is not affected.

Having well water does suck sometimes, but at least we don't have to deal with having no clean water, except after hurricanes when all the power is out.

I so need to go put Lucy's shoes back on, but it's SOOOOOOO hot.

Shelly beautiful pics. Boston looks like a nice city to visit. I could see why you will be spending some time on the boat this summer. So Lieto is a big push over.LOL. I think it is fuuny when some horses will go from big and bad to I'll be good now with just a look or a growl.

shiloh-I hear you on the heat. 80 is not to bad but for May?! A little to hot for me.

Dobby-I hope all goes well and you are back in the saddle soon.

Randy called me on my way home to let me know the young pigeon died.

I checked on the pigeons last night around 11pm since its so hot all of a sudden. All was well. In less than 14 hours, it was dead. I dont get it.

Im done with this bird thing. I cant handle it. Between the momma bird getting killed by the dogs last year, the daddy bird flying away with wild pigeons, the 2 newly hatched babies dying, and now this one, at 1 month just starting to figure out how to fly... I just cant do it. Im trying to find someone who will adopt them.

[Me Cry]

Shantel, so sorry about the bird. But that's just baby birds. You have to think, in nature, very few survive. Like with our chickens, the hens do a GREAT job hatching eggs. But if we leave the chicks with them, we *might* have one that makes it out of 10 or more. Heck, this last batch of chicks, we had 5 or 6 of them die. The last batch of ducks, 3 died. And that's not counting the eggs that don't hatch, where you crack them open and find a fully developed duck or chick that just didn't make it out. Hatching is difficult unless you have everything perfectly correct, and the young are just very fragile. Look at poor Cripple Duck. We did everything we could for him, but sometimes they just aren't meant to make it.

We are actually heading out to buy a fan for our chicks because they are all panting out in the barn. They have cool water, but they have literally been laying flat-out and panting. None have died yet, emphasis on the yet. I have found that they are quite hardy when they finally get their feathers, but until then you just never know.

CSA, what is the Black Dagger Brotherhood series about? Sounds interesting.

Shelly, fabulous pictures of Boston. That is one place I have never been. I am fascinated that I "know" someone who takes a train to work! I know, that sounds goofy, but I have never lived anywhere that even had a commuter train. I have been on the subway in London, however. They call the subways there "the tubes" so typically english. Glad you put Lieto in his place and so very happy that you had a good ride.

I have finally been able to ride consistently for oh my gosh, a week now! Last week I rode Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sun and today. Beau is finally getting back into a routine and today I had some really free feeling and forward SI and HI. His simple changes are totally there now. I don't even trot to canter at the beginning anymore. He is doing well. Bobby is officially a yearling, his b.day was yesterday. He desperately needs a bath to get some of his winter coat off and clean him up.

Gave the cat a bath tonight. She was less than thrilled. First bath in all her 5 years. She had fleas or something driving her crazy, so gave her a tick and flea bath. She does not ever go outside but something sure has been literally "bugging" her! [ROTFL]

Hubby is flying in this weekend for Mother's day and will be home for good next Sat. the 15th. He has a couple different things lined up and some really good irons in the fire. So praying it all pans out.

Still not sure when I am going to start back up with lessons and showing. May just wait till I know how things are going w/ hubby's jobs and all!

Well everyone on the pigeon forum is saying its NOT normal for them to just die. I dont get it.

I'm just saying sometimes it happens. Maybe mom and dad weren't doing the best job they could in taking care of the little tyke. Maybe he got coccidia or whatever. Maybe he got too hot (or cold).

I've just lost several chicks recently where I checked a couple hours prior and everybody looked fine, and then went back out and the chick was just dead. I had one aspirate water and die. Two ducklings just laid down and died. It just happens sometimes.

Don't let the pigeon board people get you down. Weren't they the ones who were so hard on you with Whitey's chicks?

Ok I'm so utterly astonished with the number of calls I've been receiving for interviews! So tomorrow I have a phone interview with Quest Diagnostic as a sales Rep! HAHA Can you tell I diversified myself when applying for internships. The only things is I would be the ONLY sales rep. covering Harrisburg and its surrounding areas! OMG I'm kind of nervous if they end up offering me this position. But if I do well in it...I'm hoping it could lead to a potential full time offer! How cool would that be! And the interview w/ the Poultry Company went well....he offered me the position too! UMM AHHH!

Anyways went to FairHill Horse Trials this past weekend. Scotch was fantastic...and I mean just great. He won his dressage...and jump double clear in both phases. He was really really super going XC!!! He just galloped and jumped along. So pleased! But unfortunately due to a pilot error...I didn't go through the finish flags after completing XC. If you saw where the flags you'd understand what occured. Apparently there were about 7-8 others that didn't go through the flags either! Hmmm does that tell you something? So we went from First to a TE. Oh well at leat he was such a star in all 3 phases. He also received an 8 on his gaits! woohoo!

Anyways here are some pics that I thought I would share!

FHGallop.jpg

FHSJ.jpg

FHScotch.jpg

Gallop.jpg

FHCute.jpg

And a video from Aiken that my friend made for us

:)

Emily, yes that is the board. So I posted that I was going to adopt them out. Now I have all these people telling me not to be so hard on myself and to keep them and theres one person from Seattle that is saying they will call me and answer any questions and help me. Its so freaking weird. Of course its just like these horse boards. Im thinking he got too hot. Its like 95 degrees with 90% humidty and we had NO chance to prepare for this.

Its now raining a very steady rain. I can just hear the mosquitos hatching... ugh. Last night we killed like 7 deer flies while another 6 or so swarmed around. So crazy.

Ridiculous at work right now... getting off about an hour later every day. Yes, extra hours, but still. Im just so exhausted!

Lauren, congrats! I love the pic of you galloping through the field of flowers. That sucks about the flags but at least you werent the only one! And that video is great - Scotch looks like a blast over fences!

Boo, glad to see you back on here. I really hope everything pans out for you and hubby.

Shelly, cool pics of Boston. Ive never been anywhere near there. The boat looks nice (at least the bow does!)

Gotta go feed.. horses have been out in the rain but after the last 4-5 days of 93+ degree weather, I figure they would like it, plus, free baths!

Edited by KrazyTBMare

So we had a duckling hatch last night, and he is absurdly attached to me. Ever since I first held him, he screams if I set him down, and then sings to me as soon as I pick him back up. He took a little nap with me today, all curled up in my neck. He's sitting on my chest biting my shirt right now. So he's a keeper. He hates going back into his little cage though. He tries to crawl out through the openings.

Shiloh ? Yes, you could boil it to use, but hard to boil enough water to wash dishes in, and just a royal pain. Also, just hard to remember NOT to use the tap water. So used to just using it. I totally forgot and just filled the kitties? water bowl on Sunday morning. It never even occurred to me what I did until late Monday night. Far to late then to worry about it, but they didn?t seem adversely affected. I don?t know how you and Shantel deal with the Florida heat. It would kill me. We are in the low-mid 70?s here today, and it feels HOT!!! It was positively brutal on Sunday in the low 80?s. Good luck riding with your new little duckling attached to you!!

CSA ? Yup, big, loud, mean sounding words and walking into Lieto is generally all it takes to back him down and make him remember his manners. I had put the chain over his nose in case he was silly going out there, but I didn?t need to use the chain to back him off and scare him into being good. I did ?wiggle? the lead occasionally during the rest of the walk out there to remind him to behave, but he was being good after I spoke to him.

Shantel ? So sorry to hear about the young pigeon. That is just terrible. Perhaps you got some sort of a bird virus that affected your flock?? How many do you have left?? As Shiloh said though, young birds can be hard. I?ve never tried to raise pigeons ? only chickens, ducks and geese, but raising them from hatchlings isn?t as easy as it might seem. We too always took our hatchlings away from the mothers to try to increase the likelihood of survival, but still, the loss ratio was just staggering. Getting anything of the avian variety from hatchling to adult is truly an accomplishment. I think it takes years and years of practice to really master the intricacies, and even then you still have to expect that you will have a fair number of losses within each breeding batch. The better you get, the more you can minimize that number, but I don?t think you can ever truly eliminate it. Otherwise, I think we would be overrun with birds!! And of course the pigeon forum is telling you they don?t just die ? because in a PERFECT WORLD they don?t, but who is capable of providing a perfect world to a hatchling?? I?d like to meet that person. Let me tell you, I have yet to ever talk to or meet anyone who breeds or raises any sort of avian that doesn?t have some percentage of loss. HA!! Yes, Jack?s new boat is very nice. Guess I have never posted pics of it now that I think of it. He got it late last fall, bought it for a steal off of Craigslist. A 1985 27 foot Formula Thunderbird with twin engines. It is in pristine condition.

The boat:

Boat09s.jpg

This one will give you an idea of how big this thing is. Our truck is a Ford F250 Lariat:

Boat08s.jpg

The boat has been FILLING our driveway all winter. Rather nice to finally have it in the water and out of driveway. And when I say FILLING the driveway, I do mean literally FILLING!! The Lariat had to squeeze into the spot between the boat and the garage when there was MOUNDS of snow packed in there as well all winter.

Boat12s.jpg

Boocoo ? So glad to hear that your DH is coming home for good. Fingers crossed that means he has found something that will keep you right where you are. That would be really fantastic. Poor kitty!! Baths are the worst for kitties. I had to give my older kitty a bath a few months ago. He was less than pleased. He just hasn't been able to keep his fur clean anymore with the increased oils in it from getting older. He was just nasty greasy.

Henry04.jpg

The rest of Henry?s bath pictures:

http://pets.webshots.com/album/576647818iQwCpQ

Really glad to hear that weather and life are finally cooperating to allow you the chance to get back to a regular ride schedule with Beau. Sounds like he is really doing fantastic. Hopefully you will be able to get back to lessons and showing again soon as well.

The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series:

http://www.jrward.com/

Lauren ? WOO-HOO!! And here you were worried that you would never find a job when you finished school. I think you need to stop worrying so much and spend a little time basking in your own glory!! Well done with all the interviews. Great job at the event!! If that many people missed the finish line, then perhaps the event organizers need to rethink the location of the finish flags. I have never seen them be more then a few meters out from the final fence. Sounds sneaky and underhanded if they were located so far away that they were that easy to miss entirely. Hey, at least you know that when it is a fairly designed course, you and ponyboy will be a force to be reckoned with!! Great pictures!! And I LOVE the video. He really is eating up that cross country course. Looks like you are both having a blast.

The water ban was finally lifted yesterday morning. We had to totally flush the house of the ?bad? water last night. Which meant running all the cold water faucets in the house for 2 minutes, and all the hot water taps in the house for half an hour. Fortunately, we don?t have a fridge with water/ice machines connected to the water lines, so that didn?t have to get flushed, and I haven?t used my dishwasher since Thanksgiving, so that didn?t have to be flushed either. Though I did have it filled with rinsed dishes waiting to be washed once the water ban was lifted, so it actually got used last night after the hot water heater refilled/reheated.

~Shelly~