Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

Shelly, that cat is hilarious! I wonder how pathetic the new hens will be when I give them baths tomorrow. They are all very cool-looking, but they STINK. The guy they came from is all but an animal hoarder, and the whole farm just stunk to high heavens. He's a family friend though, so what can you do?

And speaking of, he has this chestnut horse, looks like a yearling or so just based on proportions. Nice size, but STARVED, and standing in muck, in a small pen with a bunch of hogs. He's feeding then thing a very limited amount of hay and some corn. If it's the same horse I think it is, it looked fatter several months ago. Apparently he has offered to let me have it (and his other horses, none of which are in that bad shape like this guy is), but FIL just never mentioned it because he knows we really don't need any other horses, and money is tight.

So what in the world am I supposed to do? Hubby kinda grunted, and I can tell he isn't thrilled with the idea. I don't want another horse, and cannot keep another horse. But the grass is coming in, and maybe I could fatten him up, get his feet done (I do that myself so no cost), vaccinated, coggins, etc, and rehome him. Of course, I don't even know if it is a him, and if so, if he's gelded. We seriously are broke, and we don't need the added expense. I know the rescues that still exist around here are full.

But seriously, his spine sticks up like 4" on either side of the lack of flesh of his barrel. His coat looks horrible. I don't even know if he knows what a halter is, or if he would get on a trailer.

Shantel- I found 3-4 CCs of Xxterra, all about 5 years old. If you want it (maybe ask your vet if it's still good) I'll send it to ya! That should be enough for a small one.

Alyse, PLEASE send it. Thats awesome. How about I called my vet to say that I had a friend that had some Xxterra left and was going to send it to me so I asked if I could return the bottole b/c I hadnt used it back to her. Her response? "Ill think about it" in a VERY nasty tone and hung up! Shes cheap and reliable which is why Jill and I use her but shes like bi polar. I dont think she really is but depending on when you talk to her, shes either in a really good mood or nasty like that. What do you mean, think about it? I bought it but said I was going to research it. She NEVER said I couldnt return it if I didnt use it. If shes not willing to let me return it... well my neighbors new boarder is a equine vet....

Emily, can you not take photos and send them to animal control? The animal control around here takes in a lot of horses. I wouldnt take him if you are THAT strapped. I mean as awful as it is, you cannot stretch your family that thin nor take from your own horses.

Drama llama at work... wait until I update with the latest happenings... oy vey!

Henry has never been a photogenic cat. Let?s just say he has bad camera luck even though he really is a very pretty kitty. He is just a love of a kitty. He is about due for another bath, so more pictures should be coming soon.

Shiloh ? I know your heart goes out to this horse, but don?t stretch yourself any thinner. There are always more issues once you start that you can?t anticipate. Horses hurt themselves and need vet attention, or your tack won?t fit, or they won?t eat the food you feed, etc. You think it won?t cost much, but it always ends up costing more than you think. Top that off with the fact that the horse market sucks right now. Really, really, really nice, sound, well trained horses are ending up at the slaughter pen weekly. No matter if you try to give the horse away, I?m afraid you would be hard pressed re-home him, and then you would end up having to feed him for longer than anticipated. $$$$$$$$$$ Pass on him, as hard as it is.

Shantel ? Sorry to hear your vet is being difficult. Hope everything is okay at work.

Tough lesson last night. Lieto said that cantering forward, round and bent was TOO HARD!!! Had to get after him with the whip, but he finally managed it. Another lesson tonight.

~Shelly~

Lauren, Scotch looks on top of his game! I'm so so happy that you too are going so well and sound. He really is a super pony. You two are proof of what an amazing partnership can do for both rider and horse.

Farrier just left. Crazy what 4 weeks in heart bars can do. Her feet already are changing. Her RF, the clubby one, is already wider and less contracted. The LF actually had HEEL! Amazing. And I have her on this Focus Equine stuff before the show that has like magnesium and what not in it. And I added in more magnesium (so shes on like maybe 15g) and I asked if he noticed a difference with her hindend (she gets really tight and jerky with her hinds) and he was liek oh yeh she didnt try to get away from him like she usually does with the left hind and didnt jerk the right hind at all. So we will see.

I rode yesterday. She was good. The walk along the state highway over to my neighbors was calm and relaxed, on the buckle. Was very looky at the cherry picker but it was HUGE and I dont blame her. Once we went over and checked it out, she was fine. She was a TOUCH antisipating in the canter trot canter across the diagonal but I dont think anything will get that to totally go away, thats just how she is. But we were trotting on the short side when a HUGE oak branch fell from a tree nearby and she didnt react. Then we were cantering when the ridiculously giant workshop next to the arena with the metal roll up doors went flying up and nothing. She is more relaxed in the back and hips too. We will see.

Bath day today for the pones. We put the tack in the trailer last night. Just gotta put the grooming items, fans, hay bags, etc in there and I gotta get the remaining pine bark mulch out of the bed of my truck so I can hook up the trailer.

FINALLY closed on the equity loan. Whoop! So on Tuesday, my truck will be PAID OFF. So excited.

Well, the show was a disaster. I know it could have been worse but again, Layla just was not herself. It is ONLY at this venue. Jill & I always comment how our mares just lose their minds at this show grounds. We have both vowed to not show at the Eq Center again & spend our money on clinics/lessons in the spring while the shows are there.

First, the judge for the indoor went to the wrong show venue & was like an hour late. So of course that throws all of the ride times off. Then they had scratches and were making people go in, even if it wasnt the right time with the delay. Layla was a basket case. They had it where there was a warmup area next to the dressage arena inside the whole indoor. After like 20 mins, she finally starts to chill. UNTIL we had to walk over to the far side of the actual arena. She froze and was literally shaking under me, totally scared of something in the stands. Balking, flying backwards, every muscle just quivering, totally and utterly freaked out. Of course this happens right when they ring the bell. I probably took longer than my alloted time but I was not going to force her into the ring and have to do transitions and canter lengthenings in that area and risk her melting down and causing an accident.

So needless to say, that test was lost. I rode it, we did the movements, but it was really just awful. Layla was half passing off of the far rail, totally afraid of the left side of the arena. We got a 55% and it was 1:2. Comments were Too bad horse was SO tense today. Miles, miles, miles! Ha. My horse has more miles than some peoples cars. But that just goes to show how freaked out she was. My well seasoned show horse was acting like a green show horse.

Example:

A - try to enter straight while horse is convienced something is about to EAT her. At least try to look nice with matching shirt/saddle pad if possible.

indoor2.jpg

Between A & F - spook left lead working canter

indoor1.jpg

Due to the times being messed up, I now only had 20 mins before my next test, outside. Got to warm up in the outdoor warmup. Sent her into a forward canter to just get the nervous energy out. FINALLY shes coming back to me and at least starting to try to track up. UNTIL we walk over to the arena entrance and over 100' away, she sees metal barracades with plastic strips on them along with the tractors. She starts sideways bolting and snorting and blowing and again, loses it.

This is not my horse. My horse DOES NOT spook like this. So needless to say, anytime we went near the side of the arena where the barracades/tractors were, she braced and try to speed by it. The 2nd half of the test was better, meaning that she wasnt trying to exit the arena, but still, disaster. We ended up with a 54%!!!!! I havent had a score like that in over 4 years!!! I know, wahh for me getting a bad score. But its more about the fact that my horse was just gone.

After that test, I got off and stood ringside as Sarah did her Intro B qualifier test. Layla like almost fell over while sleeping. She totally exhausted herself. Back at the trailer, she was fine since she couldnt muster up any more energy.

On a good note, Sarah showed her Intro B class under a SUPER tough judge (people are lucky to get a 60% from her), AND she scored a 65%!!! So she was rightfully excited about that. Ben did really good esp considering it was 90 degrees and we both rode around 11:30am!

I feel that this "Focus Equine" stuff that was supposed to calm her is what made her so spooky. Being anxious about Ben not being close to her and all, thats just Layla. I can deal with that. But this was nothing I have ever experienced with Layla in over 8 years. Def am going to get my money back! However, Mingo did great. Jill rode 1:1 & 1:3. Mingo put out some of the best trot work I have seen out of her in over 2 years. VERY steady in the bridle and just relaxed which is not a word anyone would ever use to describe Mingo. Even still, Jill got a 56% & a 57% under the tough judge. I guess it isnt TOO horrible that I got a 54% from the same judge then.

But now that the spring shows are over and its getting ridiculously hot, Im going to let Layla have it easy. Maybe ride her 1-2 times a week, super easy stuff, just to keep her moving. She hates the heat. I hate the heat. Shes 15 and Im lucky that in the fall, I can prep her for 3 weeks and have her back into the swing of things for the fall shows. We will go trail riding to the beach and around the neighborhood, but thats really it.

Rex will be 3 on June 7th. Since my truck is paid off of the 11th (YAYYYY), I will have almost $500 extra every month so Im going to take him to Ocala, get whatever he needs done with the OCD, and after he heals from that, lightly back him, just get him used to having someone on him, turning, stopping, walking, maybe a tiny, tiny bit of trot, and focus my time and energy and money on him this summer.

Lengthy post so kudos to whoever reads it. I know todays show is NOT the norm and just wasnt the best outing for Layla and I. But I also know that we are capable of so much better things and will do those things in the fall. She did the best she could and not once was she nasty or just stupid. She was legitimately scared of things today. And as awful as it was, she still went out and tried to do what I asked of her. At least I didnt fall off! LOL

Oh and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Too bad about the show (but your pad and shirt look lovely!). They just seem to have bad days- today was Riley's bad day, he was a space cadet. Just not focused on anything, or trying hard. Not like him. That ring does look very scary, is it a coliseum?

No XC schooling for me today, Ben came in Saturday (my first lesson in months, of course) with a puffy leg. He's one that you look at him sideways and he'll have puffy big bites, or scabbies, just that sensitive. But it was on the outside of a tendon. It was cold, and he was sound as a dollar, but I was too leery of the location to ride him, even if it is just a scuff or a bite. It's completely down today, after no wrap last night, so I will hack him lightly today, maybe a lesson on wednesday, and all goes well, maybe XC school by the end of the week either with my friend at her place, or with "the guy" at a local event barn. Speaking of the guy, we are having dinner tomorrow night.

Hannah- Thanks girl!!!!!! I think I'm planning on doing Plantation on June 6th...perhaps I'll see you there? You can meet the ponyboy :)

Shantel, at least they got the letters in the right order, and the judge didn't tell you your medium walk needed more collection!! But I hear ya on naughty horses. Sometimes they just don't behave.

So I took Lucy to ride with Charlotte Trentelman yesterday, and it was a wonderful ride. She really pushed me to RIDE instead of just passenger around, which I wasn't totally aware I was doing. We got over my medium trot issues, worked some on my canter 10m circles, and uncovered some minor issues with my saddle sitting a bit down on the withers, and thus making sitting the MT and canter for too long very uncomfortable for me. It really SHOULD have the seat replaced and the foam in the panels replaced, but I don't have the money to do it properly, and Lucy DOES NOT do wool. It fits pretty darned well, and she's not sore in it, it just hits me in a funny spot. So I'm going to mess around with lifting the front up some, or maybe get a cashel or wintec front-lift pad. I WISH I could have it done with FLAIR, but that's just cost prohibitive.

But all in all, a very good ride. I like how she's so approachable, an "S" judge, and she really pushes me hard. She said Lucy looked perfectly capable of doing 2nd respectably, and just to keep working on the strength and my hands (which have the amazing ability to go in some interesting directions).

So past week or so has been awful.My hubby is such a pain with the whole think ahead and plan thing. So I decided to stay away from lessons until I find a saddle that fits Cheese. Well I still want to go watch a couple trainers to see if they would fit Cheese and I better. Well Hubby doesn't see why I want to go watch when I am not actively getting lessons.

The bigining of May is just depressing to me. May 2 would have been my mom's Bday. Plus Mother's day. It just makes me miss her.

Work has been busy. Hubby had a headache Thursday morning so we decided to go to the barn the next day. Well the next night of work sucked. I usually do the pets and hardware sections of the store. Well pets usually leaves me bit tired. Add in the air conditioners that came in that night and I was done. i had no arm strenghth. So I just took Cheese on a hack. Well she was a bit full of herself. I got a lovely extended trot. I asked to slow down a bit and she just elevated her front more. I got reminded why I had done some saddleseat with her. She was almost parking. Asked her to slow again and got some funny trot thing. Felt like a trot just way to comfy sitting though. Got back to the barn and worked her some more. I was so done after that. I made hubby stop off at the Deli and get hoagies. I had no energy to cook.

Than today she was all stiff. Just terrible to ride. So I open the gate on her nack with plans to cool off on a road hack. Well as soon as we got out of the ring the braincels left. She would not move off of left leg. She would only back up. Smacked her in the shoulder with the reins(I was schooling her western so I had split reins). She threatened to rear twice. I really got after her and got forward. Schooled near the gate until she was a bit calmer. Went to walk towards the barn and Cheese lost it again. I got off and grabbed stuff and walked her past the barn to the covered arena and lunged her. Towards the end she was showing sign of coming in heat. So that was probably the issue.

About to pass out - literally - Im so tired! But yay I got the sarcoid cream from Alyse, vet agreed to take the jar I bought back, I have a pair of bobwhite quail living at my place, and I have a few pics.

This is the one teaser pic from the ponys..

51212.jpg

And these were just weird with the sun

firemane.jpg

firehorse.jpg

Oh and the trees in the backyard! Randy finished placing the boarder and pine bark. SO pretty!

IMG_1163.jpg

And the outside of our wall that we built with a few decorative things hanging. Im getting plants on Friday

IMG_1166.jpg

Night!

csa, my brothers bday was May 2nd. He would have been 35 this year. I feel for you. *hugs*

My cousin that I lost in Afghanistan - his birthday was May 11th. The plum tree that I planted in his name the year he died (2006) is really thriving and blossomed beautifully this year.

~Shelly~

So sorry Shelly. May is not a good month for us. My step sister, who was killed the day I got engaged, has a May bday too - the 24th. And crazy thing is, my step sis in law is prego and is delivering naturally with a midwife. Well she is due like right now. Her first daughter was 2 weeks late. So if she doesnt go naturally, they will have to induce, and it is very possible her daughter will be born ON the 24th. My step dad is really hoping that doesnt happen.

Planting a tree for lost loved ones is a great idea. Seems as though their spirit is helping it grow.

I got the supplement from the chiro that has the natural enzymes to help control inflamation in the body. Forgot to take it this AM! Duh! I must be sitting funny at work or in the car because Im already out of alignment with my hips and my neck is out AGAIN. What gives?!

Just finished (well 1/2 way) a root canal. Poor guy had an abscess the size of a large grape on the side of his gum. We were not able to seal the tooth though due to all of the inflamation and infection. But he will be out of pain now. The rest of the morning is a sedation pt with 2 bridges and a crown. Only 7 more hours.....

Shantel, I totally understand your stepdad's feelings about the pending birthday date. Since you can't control the birthday, really all you can do is wait until the child is born and then adjust your viewpoint to fit - if the child is not born on the 24th, then your step sister's birthday is sacred and her own not to be shared; if the child is born on the 24th, then it is almost as if some small piece of your step sister has been reborn with the child, and your step sister will always be remembered and honored on the 24th when the child's birthday is celebrated as neither birthday will ever get forgotten.

The plum tree that I planted was the perfect choice. My cousin was killed right at the very end of March, but it took most of April to get his body returned to us, so the funeral wasn't until late April. That makes April just a tough month as it isn't so much March that I remember as hard, but all of April. So just when I'm sad, that little tree with its deep dark purple leaves bursts out totally COVERED with tiny little pink flowers to brighten my day.

I hear you on alignment issues. I probably need to get to a chiropractor as my lower back has been killing me lately. Lieto just has a huge stride with a ton of suspension to it.

Nat has a pre-graduation ceremony today so I need to leave work early to get there in time for that, so I only have 6 more hours . . . and they are DRAGGING!!!!

~Shelly~

Shelly and ShantelI am sorry for both of your losses. My sister had planted a couple rose bushes. Unfortunately she did not inherit my mother's green thumb and they died. However I just go over to her house when I feel a little down. It is hard to feel depressed while being run ragged by a three year old. However I usually get stuck playing dolls and I am so not a doll person. I try to convince her to play ponies(My Little Ponies) and she informs me that it is the same thing.LOL.

Going to try to do the lead line thing again this weekend.I will get pics.

Past couple of rides have gone well. Just really focusing on getting Cheese to relax.I have been trying to mix up the figures/patterns we do. Half way through Cheese thinks she knows what we are doing and starts anticipating and dropping her inside shoulder for turns and not bending through her entire body. The mare is a bit to smart for her own good.

Sorry about everyone's May losses.

Shantel, forgot to tell you, put on gloves when handling the Xxterra- it shouldn't do anything to non-sarcoid skin, but it's better safe than sorry.

Ben's leg is fine (forgot if I mentioned it, it was a teeny bit swollen on Saturday, so I waylaid my plans to go XC schooling and gave him several days off. Now he's in full work again and it's still down) We are going tomorrow, maybe I'll have some pics. Then The Guy and I might school at the Ark next week sometime, and show against each other (haha) next weekend. So hopefully everything falls into place, because I am dying to show again! Oh, and speaking of the guy, guess I owe you an update for all of your advice: he's interested in me alright. So go me! ;)

Shantel ? Congrats on the equity loan!! Must feel great to have the truck paid off. First off, the pad and shirt look FANTASTIC!!! Excellent color choice. Yellow is one of my favorite colors, and it looks just lovely on you and Layla. I did read your entire post, and I swear, if you scroll back through the archives of HC to oh about mid to late June of 2005 I believe, I bet you can find a nearly IDENTICAL post from me!!! :happy0203: Not even kidding. And you know what, I swear, it is the show grounds. I have seen more ?steady, eddie, seasoned, well miled show horses? fall to pieces and blow steam out their ears at this particular show grounds. It is unreal. I swear that some places just shouldn?t be show grounds. The one I hate, and refuse to go back to, everyone in this area will tell you that the lower ring that is up next to the woods has ?bears in the woods?!!!!! There really aren?t bears in the woods, but there might as well be because that?s the way the arena rides. You know how you get the occasional loose horse at a horse show ? oh boy, at this show grounds, I lose track of the number of loose horses you will have during the day, no kidding. Unreal!! I think you and Jill need to go with your gut instincts on this one and STOP going to that particular show grounds. Your horses are telling you they don?t like it. There is something in the air there that is setting them off and making them mental. You have tried and tried and TRIED again. Listen to your horse. She clearly hates it there, and no matter how much you try to school her through it, it just isn?t worth it. Find other shows that are more pleasant for both of you. Shows have plenty of stress in and of themselves without trying to cope with a show grounds that your horse hates. Throw those scores out and chalk them up to a bad show grounds. Shantel, your yard and stonewall are gorgeous!!! That wall really came out very nice. Well done!

Alyse ? Is it just Ben?s skin that is that sensitive, or does he bump and bruise and go off easily as well?? Every TB that I have worked with has had legs of steel. The OTTB that I owned sliced his left hind across the front of the cannon bone all the way to the bone partially severing the tendon and NEVER went lame ? and I?m talking about a gash that was roughly 6 inches in length. It was UGLY. Even when he healed with a ton of scar tissue and a permanently puffy fetlock from a recoiled tendon, he was sound. That horse was working 1st level and jumping after that accident. I bet he could have gone further than 1st, but I never could get over my fear of him to ride him well enough to find out. He had a big, nasty twisting buck and bolt combination that would come with absolutely no warning. I came off of him more than once. I retired him and bought Razzle.

You can see the puffy left hind fetlock and scar across the cannon bone in this photo:

Smitty.jpg

And this is such a typical photo of him, off in his own world, tearing it up ? only usually I was on him clinging to him for all I was worth, begging him to stop:

Smitty4.jpg

Shiloh ? Sooo glad you had such a great clinic ride. You really needed a good ride to get you back on track after that bad judge at the last show. I told you it was the judge and not you.

CSA ? Glad to hear your rides on Cheese are going better.

Alyse ? Glad to hear that Ben is doing well and not off. Really glad to hear that things are going so well with the guy. We will expect lots of updates!!!

Lessons have been going fabulously. We have added in some baby leg yields. Lieto is figuring out how to be round, bent AND canter forward all at the same time. Imagine that. I had the saddle fitter out last night to adjust his saddle as he is really filling out quite a bit. The last time he was out was back when I first got Lieto in early July. He walked through the door, hesitated and said, ?WHOA, he has grown!!? Yup, sure has!! I was supposed to have him out to re-adjust the saddle every 6 months, but that came due in January ? when Lieto was still on turnout for Lyme. I told him what had been going on, and why we postponed the re-adjustment of the saddle. He agreed with my decision to put it off until Lieto was not only back under saddle, but had put back on enough muscle to make sense to actually call him out. THANKFULLY my saddle was still an adjustment. PHEW!! I was worried he was going to tell me it was time to buy a new saddle, but not yet.

And on that note, can we all just take a moment and bow down to the miracle that is my saddle . . . please look back and note that the saddle in that above picture of me and Smitty is the same saddle as in this picture of me and Razzle . . .

Show10s.jpg

AND the same saddle as in this picture of Lieto . . .

Lieto0101cs.jpg

Yes, folks, that?s right, 3 different horses, 1 saddle!!! Simply amazing!! I love my saddle!!! My cheap, cheap mail order saddle. Simply fabulous. And Beckham has even ridden in my saddle. I?m going to cry if Lieto outgrows it. Honestly, sit down and cry. I?ve had that saddle since . . . wow, um . . . I think I got it in November, 2000.

Okay, gotta run. Natalie has a pre-graduation awards ceremony of some sort tonight.

~Shelly~

Shelly- he has very solid legs- never goes off (knocks wood). It's his skin that really seems sensitive. Every bug bite shows. He got some scratches on his legs this wet winter, and they stocked up. That's why I think he just scuffed it and it puffed up, and had nothing to do with the tendon.

Today Sarah asks, well do you want to lay over Rexs back and see what happens? lol Sure!

So we did the whole slapping the stirrups down, hitting them on his side, then acting like she was going to put her stirrup in the saddle, leaning on the stirrup, standing on a mounting block and pulling on the saddle, laying over the saddle and laying on his back, standing in the stirrup, and then, tada, sitting on him and we walked around. I was the grounds person as I am a little more skilled than she is when it comes to handling horses on the ground who act up (not that Rex does but just in case) so I trusted myself more to be handling him. But I WILL be getting on!

Let me tell you. He was SO bored with the whole thing. 5 mins into all the prep work, he was trying to chew on the lead rope, wanting to move around, just bored out of his mind. When she got on he was like FINALLY we get to move!

Of course youtube & photobucket want to take like 4 hours to upload a 3 min video. So for now, stills will have to do!

You better believe it, we got it on video!

These pics are from the first and second time she actually sat in the saddle. I havent taken stills from the videos of the prep work as its kind of boring.

rexmount1.jpg

btw his head is up because he was trying to chew on the lead rope, not because she was getting on

rexmount2.jpg

rexmount3.jpg

rexmount4.jpg

rexmount5.jpg

rexmount6.jpg

rexmount7.jpg

rexmount8.jpg

rexmount9.jpg

rexmount10.jpg

rexmount11.jpg

rexmount12.jpg

The celebratory High 5!

rexmount13.jpg

Again, such a cool horse! I will probably work him in the round pen once a week, mostly working on voice commands and whoa and then once a week we will get on and walk around on him. The one thing I do need to expose him to more is just wearing the bit and bridle. He does fine but of course is very mouthy with the bit. So I need him to have more experience with it and reintroduce steering with it (its been since Aug 09).

Yay Rex! He's learning to be a big boy!

I had a decent ride on Lucy yesterday, but my pasture is just too lumpy to really get her soft and consistent. She was so wonderful at the clinic, but it seems like I take her back onto grass and she struggles a bit. I so wish I could afford to put in a ring. The people who host the clinics have a ring with no real base, it's just several inches of clay sand over the existing sand. It rides pretty nicely. I just wish I had the money to do it.

Layla is the opposite. Ride her on grass and shes awesome. Put her in a ring and she starts antisipating, etc. We have sandy loom up here so really unless its pretty wet, it sucks. And with the drought we are in right now, it SUCKS really bad as its SO dry and dusty and deep. You may not be able to put in an actual ring but maybe you could till up the grass/dirt to level it a little and break up the dirt some? I just cant do that as I dont want to give up what grass I have.

We have beach sand down here. I checked into just killing the grass, but was told by someone a touch north that it just turns into a bit sand pit. It gets super deep.

Someone about 20 min from here brought in some clay sand and just put it on top of the existing sand, and it's decent to ride in. It could use a bit more sand on top, but it's smooth and has a bit of fluff to it.

I have sorta checked into putting in a real base, and it's just not in the cards to do the clay, compacted, then crushed rock, compacted, and then the footing on top of that.

Will the grass grow in the clay mix if you end up not liking it? I mean, I guess if you try it and it doesnt ride well, if the grass will fill in, you might as well try.

Oh!

Funniest thing Ive seen in a while. Rex is obsessed with the leaf blower. He loves to stick his nose up to the end and let his lips flap around like crazy. Its a cell phone video now uploaded to photobucket (IE: super blurry) but you can get the idea. Leaf blower was too loud for cellphone to record the noise (thank goodness!).

Hope you guys can actually see enough to enjoy a good laugh (btw, leaf blower in on the bottom right edge).

th_0514101921.jpg

Yeah, grass should grow in the clay mix if it ends up sucking, but the one up the road is pretty decent. It just needs a bit more footing on top, which they are planning to bring in. But that's $1200 worth of clay sand, which is $1200 we don't have right now.

Mir learned to canter a line of little fences today! They are set 8 or 9 strides apart, and I just made two x's, trotted into the first, put my leg on, and cantered the second jump. The first time he sucked back and took off long, but then he did the next 3 times perfectly. Of course he has NO confidence over fences, so it's going to take a while to get him doing more than little x's.

KTM-Yay for the first ride on Rex. Glad it was uneventful.

shiloh-I am so picky on footing. I won't go anywhere if the footing sucks. Third year into riding Cheese slipped on bad footing. I threw myself free and right into a gate. So I have become picky. Congrats on the first line of fences.

My niece did leadline at her first show thiis past weekend. The trail class was open for schooling so we played with some of the stuff. My niece loved walking over the bridge. Cheese was a saint. My niece got her first two ribbons. She also decided she wanted to go daster. I told her she had to go slow before she started to run. She was fine with that.Here are a fe pics.

nap time for Cheese. We had to wait a bit for a rider to get a helmet. Yeah some people don't care about their kids.

Picture1680.jpg

Leadline on the line

Picture1678.jpg

waiting for placings

Picture1690.jpg

lead;ine off the ;ine

Picture1698.jpg

Picture1702.jpg