Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

Luckily my footing isn't slippery at all, even after rain. It's just lumpy so it's hard for them to be consistent.

CSA, those pics of your niece on Cheese are adorable!

csa, SO cute!!!! Cheese looks like a very good girl and your niece is adorable!

Well only had to work 2 days this week as boss is taking off to go somewhere. I am heading down to Ocala Thursday afternoon to get Laylas hocks done & to get new xrays on Rex to figure out if he still needs the surgery for the OCD and if it is only the right or the left too. IF he still needs it (which is very likely but Im still holding out for it resorbing!), I can leave him down there Thursday and he will have surgery early Friday afternoon.

It POURED here yesterday like all day. At one point yesterday morning, I couldnt even see the pond behind our office because it was raining so hard and the sky was so dark. We really needed the rain but again its either a drought or flooded.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Valley Vet & Smartpak. Its all getting here tomorrow. So tomorrow will start my powerpac'ing for all 3 as well as me switching Layla over to SmartFlex Senior joint supplement. After comparing what it cost to what I spend in MSM & HA seperately, it was only like 30? more a day plus with the SFSenior, I am getting more stuff in it. So we will see.

I also ordered these hay nets (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=8785). I cant just free feed the hay by throwing it out on the ground as they just spread it around and pee on it. I dont have a round bale feeder and I need a way to make sure all three (meaning Rex basically) get their hay as Ben will eat it all and chase Layla and Rex away.

Anyways, I got three minis. I figure if they can get approx 10 flakes per bag of the large one I can at least get 4-5 flakes in the mini. Super excited about that though. Will have to give an update.

Randy and I actually went OUT tonight! Nothing crazy but we went to Chilis for dinner and then went to our old pool hall and played pool for a little over 2 hours. I miss playing. Back when I was in college, we would literally go ALL night long, until like 4-5am! We would play for like 6 hours straight! We were both rusty as we havent played since we sold our pool table like 2-3 years ago but it started coming back quickly and we both were making some really nice shots with banks and combos, etc.

Oh and the pig roast was AWESOME. A really great time and lots of people (probably around 30-34) and lots of food. Unfortunatly, I was standing under one of the oak trees watching Toby who was on the horse side of the fence to make sure he wasnt going to dig since we put them over there away from the people. Well I went to cross my arms and felt something on my left fingertips. Felt like a dry leaf from the tree. Well a few mins later, the crease of my right elbow started getting welts on it and burning. So some type of allergic reaction. Took some Singulair, lotion, and lots of alcohol and I was great! lol

Well the next morning, around 11am, it started itching badly again and then it started itching all over my whole right arm and then my left arm and stomach and legs and when I went upstairs to get some calomine (sp) lotion, I looked in the mirror and it looked like I had a bad sunburn on my face. My cheeks and above my brows were bright deep red and then my right cheek was splotchy with white and all around my mouth was white. So I took some benedryl and took a nap. Woke up, everything was ok.

So yesterday I was at work and my last patient was challenging and I was getting frusterated towards the end (not at the pt but because I couldnt get the temp crown to stay cemented) and all of a sudden my rash, which hadnt been itchy and was just red dots and not raised, it just "blew up" and got super big welts on it and really red and started itching badly. I went to Walgreens and spoke to the pharmacist b/c Solantic wasnt going to do much more for me. He recommended a really expensive but effective poison ivy scrub even though I know it wasnt poison ivy but obviously some plants or bug touched me. So I got that and I have used it 3 times and each time it works better and better. Its still there but not really raised any more but still red.

Now you guys can understand why I complain about the heat and the bugs and my allergies here. Its like everything sets my body into overdrive! I go to the allergist next Friday for my skin testing. I def took pics to document this though.

Going to get to bed. Gotta take Big Blue to get the tires rotated/balanced, get hay, and do something else that I cant remember right now.

Night!

so i always wanted to post in chit chat but i never knew how to start...

well, ace is doing fabulous. so happy i stuck it out with this horse.

solo, as youve seen is home and we are taking it one day at a time. hes showing improvement though.

as far as the rest of my life, i am the busiest 20year old in the world pretty sure. Although all the stress is made better by the fact i am dating quite literally my dream guy lol

Welcome Maple! See, the plunge wasn't so bad!

Tell us about the guy!! The ladies here helped me a lot with some good guy advice.

Speaking of which, the guy and I went XC schooling today. Loads of pics by none other than Coppers Mom to follow. We have a show this weekend, an event at Beg. Novice. So excited!

Welcome Maple! See, the plunge wasn't so bad!

Tell us about the guy!! The ladies here helped me a lot with some good guy advice.

Speaking of which, the guy and I went XC schooling today. Loads of pics by none other than Coppers Mom to follow. We have a show this weekend, an event at Beg. Novice. So excited!

oooh i can not WAIT to take ace xc schooling!

the boy, well oh well. he is in one word; perfect. for me atleast lol like so perfect for me my friend ben thought i made him up haha. his name is Justin, and ive known him for a few years but i never ever thought in a million years he would go for me, little did i know he was thinking the same thing haha. He is such a great guy, he also happens to be pretty darn cute, we are gonna have ridiculously attractive childern haha.

ya, hes drinkin beer but you get the idea lol

5380_120366903622_503733622_3099530_5792459_n.jpg

oh did i mention that this is what he does for fun? *drool*

24040_382180221715_595206715_4367254_4001756_n.jpg

Well Im leaving in 15 mins to take Rex & Layla down to Ocala. Layla is getting her hocks done & we are xraying Rexs hocks to see if he needs the surgery for OCD on just his right or both hocks (or maybe no surgery as there is a SLIM chance it resorbed!). Will update later! Prayers for a safe trip please!

Well Im leaving in 15 mins to take Rex & Layla down to Ocala. Layla is getting her hocks done & we are xraying Rexs hocks to see if he needs the surgery for OCD on just his right or both hocks (or maybe no surgery as there is a SLIM chance it resorbed!). Will update later! Prayers for a safe trip please!

drive safe! good luck hope all goes well

Back from a long day on the road and at the vets. Got there safely. A little "drama" with the help at the vet clinic as I cannot unload my own horses due to insurance or something. Oh well, told the guy to be careful with Rex as he was young. Guy was limping for a few mins after he got stepped on. Then he rushed Layla off the trailer while hanging tightly to the leadrope which made he fly off the trailer and fling her head which came INCHES from being smashed on the roof edge of the trailer door. Awesome. Then he tells me that the barn is full and we cannot put Rex and Layla near each other. I tell him that its going to cause issues and he says, oh they will just call and get over it. Uh, no, you dont know my mare.

Go inside, Layla of course is freaking, so is Rex. Oh and did I mention that it was a 19 stall barn and only 8 stalls were in use. FULL are you? PSHH. So one of the vet techs or whatever she was asked if they would be better if they were across from each other. I told her yes and she has the help prepare the stall across from Rex. The guy who unloaded them said that wasnt needed and she promptly informed him that Yes it was. So stall gets prepped, Layla goes in, all is good.

Long story short, Layla got her hocks injected. Flexed and did a quick soundness exam on Rex which came out PERFECT. Took a few quick shots of the left hock and one of the right (we took the new right one to compare to the old right hock xray from last year). Only the right hock has an OCD lesion. Left one is perfect. Decide to go ahead and do the surgery. I was prepared for this when I bought him and when I brought him to the clinic today. If I didnt, even if he was NEVER lame, I would always second guess myself and wonder.

So Rex is down there right now and will have surgery in the AM and I can go pick him up tomorrow afternoon. Layla was perfect and quiet on the way home and is just hanging out with Ben.

The only sucky thing is that Rex will have to be on 2-3 weeks of stall rest and then 4-5 weeks of paddock rest (nothing larger than a round pen). Going to be a blast! Hes not horrible in a stall but after that long, any horse would be, AND the animal pees SO much. Not looking forward to the stall cleaning.

Vet also recommended that Rex be on Adequan for 1 7 shot round and then 1 shot every other week for 2 doses. Eeek. $$$$$ but we will see.

Oh and I had the WORST experience EVER at Tire Kingdom yesterday. I posted it over on UDBB so I am just going to copy and paste. It is lengthy so kudos if you actually read it. But if you have a Tires Plus or Tire Kingdom near you, def worth the read.

-----------------

Yesterday, I made an appt to take my F150 up to Tire Kingdom to have the tires balanced, rotated, and to have an oil change. DH and I dropped the truck off, ran some errands, and about 1.5 hrs later, I received the call that the truck was ready. I was told that the tires are nearing their end which I knew. I asked about the ball joints since the truck has had a bad vibration around 55mph and was told they were fine. Great. Go pick up the truck, hurry back toward my house to meet the hay guy to get my hay, trade my DH for the car so I can get to chiro in time while he takes truck back. No probs!

Wrong. It was still vibrating horribly. Called the guy back and he assured me that everything was done and that it is vibrating due to 2 of the tires being 1-2mm less tread than the other 2. However, while Im standing next to my truck while the hay is being loaded, I noticed that my left rear rim isnt polished. Well, my left rear was the ONLY one that wasnt polished and if my tires had been rotated, it would now be in the left front position. Begin irritation. Call DH to please call guy back at Tire Kingdom and let him know that my tires were NOT rotated and now we have to drive BACK up there to get them rotated, wasting more time and gas.

At this point, since my tires were obviously not rotated, I am questioning that they even were balanced due to the vibration being the same. Rush home after the chiro, help DH unload the 16 bales (that we were going to unload later that evening AFTER our dinner plans with friends), and rush back up to the tire place so we can get the tires rotated and be on time to our dinner date with our friends.

When we get there, we both tell the guy that we would like them to double check the balance on the tires due to the vibration AND the fact that they were obviously not rotated and I am questioning all of the work that was supposed to be done. Guy keeps insisting that it is due to the wear on the tires. I inform him that I have driven bald tires and it does NOT cause this kind of vibration.

Inside tire guy goes outside to tell this young kid about my truck being back. I cant hear what was said but I saw the young kid throw his hands, get a pissy look on his face, and started having very defensive body posture. Ahhhh... theres the genius who worked on my truck.

So they get the truck back on the lift and take off the tires. Inside tire guy has DH and I go out to the truck to show us the wear. Thats when DH and I asked, Where are the new weights from the balancing today????? Inside tire guy points to this white area on the inside of the rims (my weights are on the inside edge of the rim due to the offset) which we point out to him is actually old adhesive from the old weight. So then we walk over and inspect all 4 tires with ITG (inside tire guy). Oh, he says, they didnt balance them. HMMM. Ya think?!

So he has another older guy balance the tires, etc etc. At this point, it is obvious that we are going to be there at least an hour waiting for them to do the job they were supposed to do the first time. Call friends to inform them of us being late. No biggie. They live around the corner. So they came up to wait with us so as soon as truck was done, we could go to dinner.

55 mins later, truck is ready. Oh, and ITG did refund my card the $50 for the balancing that did not occur the first time (rotation was included in the oil change fee). Great. It looks like we are only going to be 30 mins later for dinner than we thought. Hop in the truck, head home to drop it off, get in car, and head to dinner.

But WAIT. While sitting in the passenger seat of the car, I looked over at my truck only to see my left rear rim still wasnt polished!!! Which Im sure by now we all know that means that the #$%$%&$@#!#$#^& people did not rotate my ****** tires!!! Un - freaking - believable!!!!

Of course, its 8:17pm. They closed at 8. My DH said he has never heard the F Bomb used so many times in just 5 mins. I was on the phone with my girlfriend who had the same exact experience at Tires Plus. Im just irate! I mean, shame on me for not checking their work a second time. Because we all know you cannot trust them to do it right the second time once they know they messed up, right?? Well I guess I didnt.

Nothing we could do that night. Go out, have a great time. Get up this AM and call and lucky me, the manager answers. I explained to him, in a very polite, articulate manner the events of the previous day. Also expressing the very important fact that in less than 3 hours, I was going to head down to Ocala, a 2 hour trip, with my horses, and I STILL have not received the service on my tires that I paid for!!

So manager states that it sounds like my previous day was nothing short of disasterous. No, really? Thanks buddy. So I drive up there AGAIN (did I mention it takes around 20-25 mins on the highway driving, meaning MORE gas usage??) and manager double checks that he needs to check the front end again to make sure the ball joints and all are ok and actually ROTATE the tires. I told him yes and that new windshield wipers would be nice too (I was going to have to go buy new ones anyways). He says, We'll see. Oh, yes we will buddy.

10 mins after arriving, they FINALLY take my truck back, AFTER I ask how long this was going to take. Oh, and ITG was there and did not even LOOK at me. Wimp.

So theres a NEW guy working on my truck. I watch him and see him looking at the tread. And yes, I know, he doesnt know what is going on and is just trying to make sure I know the tread is worn, but at this point, I dont flipping care. He comes inside to talk about the tread, asking if I had a vibration in the truck. At this point, I *kindly* tell him that I know the tires are worn and they need to be replaced and that yes, I had a vibration that MAJIKALLY disappeared once my tires were actually balanced (but wasnt it due to the 1-2mm tread difference? Oh.. right.) New guy then says, oh ok well I can rotate them to try to bide some time. So I inform him that YES he is going to rotate the tires because that was why I was back up there for a THIRD TIME to get a service performed that should have been done the FIRST time. New guy figures out the situation and promptly goes back out to rotate my tires.

Oh and the great thing was that there were at least 3-4 other customers inside the store when that convo happened. I wasnt rude or nasty but it was clear that I was frusterated and after that convo, it was clear as to why. Right at this moment, manager asks what year truck I have. I tell him, he goes over to the windshield wipers, grabs a pair, and tells new guy out with my truck to put them on the truck. So yeh buddy, we DID see about those new blades, didnt we? They are the $35 Rainx blades too.

So manager refunds the remaining charge for the oil change, as thats the only other thing he can do for me. FINALLY the truck is done. Manager tells me he knows that I had a horrible experience but if I can ever give them another chance to contact him for assistance. Yeh right buddy. You hold your breath for that one. Oh and yes, I figured out to CHECK that they did what they were supposed to do this time.

AND come to find out, Tires Plus and Tire Kingdom are owned by the same company (friends that we had dinner with informed me of this because her brother is a manager of a Tire Kingdom 45 mins away). Funny since my girlfriend who had the SAME experience had hers at Tires Plus!

This was absolutely the WORST experience I have ever experienced in buying a service. Just passin' along the info as Buyer BEWARE.

-----------------------

Alyse, yay for you. Cant wait to see the pics and hear more about you and the guy!

Maple, welcome to the chat! And your guy is very cute and I love his hobby! hah I feel the same way about my husband and have since I met him 9 years ago. I hope you and your guy have a long and wonderful relationship together.

Maple-Welcome I am a bit jealous. My hubby loves animals. Loves to pet and give cheese treats but that is it. No riding for him.

Dobby-Have fun visiting the pony. Pics are always good, hint hint.

KTM-Good luck with the stall rest. I cringe when I hear those words. The guy at the clinic sounds like an idiot. At least someone had brains enough to put Layla and Rex near each other.

Back to work after a mini vacation. Nothing to exciting. FIL took hubby and I out for dinner for our anniverery. Nice little resterant Food was excellent and they had some micro brewery stuff. I fell in love with a chocolate stout.

Of course last night was busy being the first night back. Now I am off to go work out with my sister. It should be interesting.

Got a new saddle for Cheese. It fit Cheese great but was to small for me. I am trying to get it exchanged for a bigger seat.

Off to the event today! Wish us luck!!

Here's pics from XC schooling:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1678...id=113131752529

The horses are kind of hard to tell apart, but I am the girl, haha. White saddle pad and light blue sleeves, and Ben is a hand taller than Henry.

This jump is 2'6. Any guesses as to how high he's actually jumping? He's 17 hands too. I think it's around 4 feet.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4049...id=113131752529

ktm -dont you love when people are completly unhelpful? good thing that girl came along. hope everything goes well with Rex's surgery.

Sound like an awful experience with the tires, customer service these days is so terrible.

csa - oooh i could use some chocolate today! I am also looking at having to get a new saddle, i love mine but since ace has lost so much fat and gained so much muscle neither really fit him anymore, they arent a bad fut just not perfect.

kts - those are great pictures, and what an awesome facility! where is that its so great. good luck today!

---

thanks guys, i am so lucky to have Justin. I swear i wake up every morning and just be like i cant belive this man is mine.

Finally got home at 8:15pm with Rex. Everything went well and he loaded right up. They have his whole right leg wrapped from fetlock to gaskin. Oy. Ive never had to wrap THAT much leg before esp over a hock so it will be fun doing that in 2 days. But he seems fine and is hanging in his stall. I got 12 cu ft of fine bedding that is almost like sawdust as a base layer and then 27 cu ft of shavings on top for his stall. LOVE that there is a sawmill less than 1/4 mile from my house and I can get 1 cu yd (27 cu ft) for $13!!! So that left a VERY thick layer of bedding in his 10x20 stall.

Layla was so funny. Little Miss I Hate Baby Horse was screaming her head off when she saw me pull in with him in the trailer. So funny.

Alyse, great pics. What a little over achiever you have. Hope the event went well.

csa, hope you can switch your saddle for a bigger seat. And happy anni!

Oh my goodness.... I dont know how I will get through 21 days of this stall rest. My heart just breaks every time I hear Rex whinny for Layla and Ben. He just doesnt understand why hes being left inside his stall away from them. Not only that but he gets taken to a scary place and left there and now his leg is sore. Ugh. The barn helper lady said that he was so sad all night long just whinnying and crying ever since I left him there yesterday. I feel awful. I know its for his own good but it doesnt help right now. Poor colonel baby horse.

Awww poor Rexy!

Here's our show update:

We completed! He was a nervous wreck coming out of the trailer, shaking and dripping with sweat, and never really settled down, but despite that was still very manageable (once I was in the tack). We were 1st after dressage, had a stop at the 2nd fence (my fault, sticky approach) and pulled that last rail in a very crazy stadium.

So, PICS!

CoppersMom's Pics (Blast from the past, eh?!)

This is our 2nd attempt at the fence he stopped, but you can scroll through it to see all of 'em:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4061...id=113131752529

Our refusal:

DSCN0183.jpg

Last Jump- We were clocking it!! He was so bold and confident!!! I was soooo proud!

DSCN0188.jpg

Stadium we knocked- but I am laughing!

DSCN0203.jpg

Big smile, little jump

DSCN0202.jpg

Sweating like a racehorse

DSCN0196.jpg

The two victors at the end of the day

DSCN0208.jpg

Alyse, yay on completing the first event with Benny! The "last jump" photo is awesome.

So uhm yeh, if any of you guys watch LOST... ugh I am totally not getting the whole ending thing. Well I mean I get the actual ending but the whole story to GET to the ending I am questioning. BLAH.

BTW - wrapping a hock SUCKS. I have tried many a method. Just spent $50 at the feed store for more items. The latest wrap survived the "pick up leg and bend it as much as possible" test. We will see the fruits of my labor by morning...

Gotta get a shower and get some sleep. These extra days off have my whole schedule screwed up. Tomorrow is basically going to suck, Im sure.

KTS-Congrats on completeing your first horse trial on Ben. You both like a lot of fun.It sounds like a real good first show type experience. I am a bit jealous Ben settled so nicely under tack. I get the oppisite with Cheese. She is calm and cool getting out of the trailer. As soon as I hit the saddle she goes nuts. So dressage is usually interesting to say the least. The jumping is great except she wants to jump everything in sught.

KTM-Poor Rex. I hope he settles a little more. It can be heart breaking to hear them call for their buddies,

Past few rides have been good. I have been just focusing on straightness. Cheese is such a drama queen. Whenever she goes to drop her shoulder and cut corners I just correct her with more inside leg and some light squeezes of the inside rein. Her head comes up and she starts (nervous) chewing of the bit. I continue to ask for foward and she eventually gets over herself.

So working out with my sister left me sore for a day. Which would have been fine if I didn't have to work that night. That was a long night. My triceps are really out of shape. I really need to work on adding some cardio. I really could stand to lose 10=20lbs.

Melvin, our cat, has officially become a mouser. He killed his first mouse. He had caught one before and dropped it at hubby's feet. However it was still alive. Hubby "rescued" it and tossed it outside.

Ahhh Riley was so good today. Prepare yourselves for some vintage Riley videos circa . . .2007? I think? I just found them on my video camera, and will upload them tomorrow.

Bennigan's test: a bit tense, haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q1_eK3miaI...feature=related

So Maple, seeing as you are dating a horse guy too, do you get a lot of jealousy from horsey women? Because I went to this show with the guy, and man, were we feeling the cold shoulder. He didn't get it, but CM and I did, haha.

oh! The best part- his XC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbgqKf63l0o

Edited by Kiss The Sky

ktm - poor rex, i hope he has a speedy recovery, stall rest sucks :( maybe he will decide your his new best friend while he is on it though.

kts - wow great pics, looks like you guys had a great time i love the pics with the big smiles

yes i do find i get a little bit of a cold shoulder routine, alot from the girls that ride at his barn its like who is this girl and why is she so special, and they are all over him every time we walk into a barn or a horseshow its ridiculous. And its funny cause i have been cheated on ALOT and im usually really insecure about that stuff but for the first time in becki-relationship-history Im not worried at all so thats nice but yeah girls do seem a little resentful/jealous of it.

Oh Rex is loving the stall rest. He gets to hang out inside, with a fan and hay 24/7, Ben and Layla dont pick on him, and he can nap all he wants in the shade. lol

Alyse, cant wait to get home to watch your vids.

Alyse: Yes, that seems in line with the TBs I have known, rock solid legs, but thin, sensitive skin. Loved the schooling pics, especially the last one in the water of Henry and Ben touching noses. Too cute!! Congrats on completing your first event with Ben. The dressage test was definitely tense in the beginning, but he settled quite a bit by the end. If you could have just schooled him in the show ring, he would have really settled in and totally relaxed. 4 minutes just isnt enough time to get a greenie in the ring, let them LOOK and really settle and relax. You did a great job finessing him through that test though, and the XC looked fantastic. Very bold and nice big jumps over the fences. He is going to make a very nice eventer.

Shantel: Glad to see Rexs backing went so smoothly. He has a good brain. Sounds like you have been having it rough lately between the allergies, the truck tire fiasco, Laylas hock injections and Rexs surgery!! Wow, that is a lot. Glad to hear the trip to the vets went smoothly, well until the unloading and stabling!! So glad Rexs surgery went well, and he is back home and resting comfortably. I DVRd the final episode of Lost, but I havent actually watch it yet. Havent had the time, and Im the only one in the family that watches it, so . . . may be awhile before I find a quiet time to sit and watch it.

Shilioh: Mir is really coming along very nicely. Cant believe you already having him doing lines of small fences. I still dont have Lieto going over trot poles yet, of course, we dont even really have jump equipment. We truly ARE a dressage barn. I think we have 2 sets of standards and maybe half a dozen poles, thats it. Oh wait, and 4 cavalletti in the outdoor arena.

CSA: Great pics of your niece on Cheese. Looks like Cheese loves doing leadline classes. Hope you are able to exchange the saddle for a bigger one.

Maple: Welcome! Glad you got Solo home with you where you can keep a closer eye on him.

So I FINALLY have two updated videos for you. Of course, they are already nearly two weeks old, and already outdated at the rate Lieto is progressing. Jack took a couple of short clips at my lesson on Friday the 14th. We went through a stage at the trot where I just HAD to insist that he stay forward, round and bent all at the same time. He fought it saying I could have any one of those things, but not ALL at the same time. The battle waged for about a week to two weeks, then CLICK, he just got it, and that was it. Same thing at the canter. I just finally had to lay it down and say THIS is what it needs to be. He said HARD, and that is precise the point we were at when these videos were taken. Suddenly last week, CLICK, he just got it. All of a sudden, I have a light, floaty canter that is round, bent and adjustable. I can put him wherever I want meaning that he isnt sucking me out to the wall, but moving nicely off my aids and we have now started adding in canter lengthenings. Wooooooo-hoooo!!! Fun stuff!!! So, for what its worth, here are a couple of outdated videos, but at least they show some good progress over the last videos!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/smithereens86#...u/0/p58W7cHZubI

http://www.youtube.com/user/smithereens86#...u/1/AmSVRyxrkhs

And a couple of actual shots in daylight so you can see how much he truly has filled out!! He isn't all leg anymore. He is much better proportioned now. I haven't measured him again recently, but I don't think he has gotten any taller - just filled out a little everywhere.

Lieto0168s.jpg

Lieto0169s.jpg

And he turned 5yo this past Saturday!!! He LOVED his cake. He wasnt so keen on the birthday hat. He was pretty sure it was trying to eat him. I put it on my head to prove to him it wouldnt eat him, and he looked at me like, OMG, NOW ITS EATING YOU!!! I gave up at that point. Well work on it for next year because Im just THAT evil!!! HA!!

Happy 5th Birthday, Lieto!!!

Lieto0172s.jpg

Lieto0174s.jpg

~Shelly~

Edited by smithereens_86

So Mir officially knows the LY, in walk and trot, crosses over nicely, fairly fluid, etc. He's not terribly steady in the bridle for it yet, but it's getting better. He's picking up the canter better, now just need to work on getting the strength to keep it without running. He gets so excited in the canter, that I am sticking to just half a 30-m circle for the most part. He did throw in a little leap when I had him cantering today, but we picked it right back up, and repeated the exercise with no further issues. Yay Mir!

And I have started the process of breaking Annie. Nothing huge, I did sit on her for about 5 seconds today, but mostly just learning to stand still next to me, with me on a bucket, and lean all over her, move the saddle and stirrups, etc. Jake held her, and she was confused about why I was moving all around and touching her and she was supposed to not walk off, but she did pretty darned well. I'll keep doing that periodically until she's almost 3, then start with walk and trot under saddle. She still doesn't know any rein aids, and she doesn't lunge or anything. She knows the very basics of lunging, but only with me walking and her on the end of the lead line. But never too early to start teaching them manners at the mounting block! I have one who cannot stand still for me to mount. That's enough.

The funny thing about Annie, she's only 14.2 and a hair, but she doesn't FEEL small. She also is only slightly smaller around than Mir is, and she's NOT fat. She's just got a huge ribcage like her mom and dad do. So she will take up my leg very nicely, and since her neck is longer than Lucy's, she won't feel like a little horse. Just funny that some people's weanlings are bigger than she is!

Lovely pics/vids Shelly! So glad to see your boy is recovering so nicely.

Emily, yay for Mir and Annie!

So at 1:30am this morning, Rex's full SISTER was born!!! Bay filly with 3 whites and a big blaze. She totally has Rex's head. And she has to sell her when she weans her. Sarah and I are scheming trying to figure out how to get her...

REXSISTER.jpg

Shantel, she's so cute! She looks like she might go grey though. Are her legs dark, or more pale? Well, her one dark leg anyway. If they are DARK like in an adult bay horse, she's going to be grey. I love to look at greys, but man are they hard to keep clean!

We have two more ducklings. They just hatched this morning!

Emily, I dont know. This is all I have seen of her. Lisa, Rex's breeder, was sent this pic this AM from her vet. Dutch was at the vets barn to be foaled out. She is going to go see her tonight and I will hopefully have more pics soon. I covet this filly. Truly!

Just got this from Lisa:

Great names, thanks!! Well, she has one hind sock up over the fetlock joint, the other hind covers most of the pastern, both front legs have "braclets" of white around the coronet bands. No gray around the eyes as far as I can see. She also has white on her lower lip! She's stands just above my hip. She is super leggy! Pictures to follow, only taken in the stall though.

Waiting for pics...

Shelly-U love the plaid breeches. I can never convince myself to by antything but beige/khaki. Lietto is looking good.

KTM-Yep the filly has Rex's head.

shiloh-Congrats on the ducklings. Yay for Mir and Annie. I love the first time you sit on a horse. One of my fav. points of the whole training process.

Hubby broke his computer. It is going to cost $1000 to rebuild it.So for now we are sharing my computer. So I have been doing more reading. I started the Dresden files. Not a bad series of books so far. Cheese has been doing good. Last Sun. I quick hopped on bareback for a little. They were calling for thundershowers in the afternoon, never did get them. I just wanted to ride and not do any work. Well Cheese was nice and relaxed and just went into a nice working frame. It was a fantastic ride.

My niece has been telling everyone about her orange horse. For some reason she insist Cheese is orange.

Hubby and I were discussing after Cheese what type of horse would I get. He wants me to get a young horse to see the training process. Yeah that should be interesting. The last two out of three greenies I have ridden have managed to throw me. Not sure I want to even chance that again. I am getting old and don't bounce anymore. Hopefully I have a long time to decide.

csa, is Cheese normally relaxed and easy going when you ride bareback?

BTW for any Twilight fans, on June 5th, theres a little side book out of Eclipse regarding the newborn vampires that were being created in Seattle. Its called "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner". She is the young vampire at the end that the Cullens wanted to keep b/c she seemed good but Jane killed her anyways. Super excited for more Twilight readings. And there are 5 of us from work that are going July 1st to the IMAX to see Eclipse! YAY.

Went to Rack Room Shoes today and got a pair of $20 flipflops for $6! And then I couldnt help but get these sailing like shoes that are almost like leather loafers? They are in style and SUPER comfy. I couldnt decide between the leather ones and the cloth ones that had a navy and red plaid, so I got both since it was buy one get one 1/2 off.

OH! I had my allergy test yesterday. The one where they ***** you with all these things and test to see what you are allergic to. Heres my back:

shantelback.jpg

I am allergic to all of the trees that are in the Southeast except Pine trees. I am allergic to ALL of the grasses, both kinds of cochroaches, both types of dust mites, dog, very mildly to horse, I had to have 5 shots of cat to even get a reaction, Im allergic to 13 of 22 molds.

So basically, yes, living in FLORIDA with all of the bugs and the plants literally IS **** for me. Randy didnt really "get" how miserable I am with my allergies. After he watched my ***** my back and I had to lay there for 15 grueling minutes without moving as my back was on FIRE and then the things that didnt show a "true" positive on my back, they injected into my deltoid/biscep area on both arms. Torture honestly.

So now I have to decide if I want to do allergy shots or not. Im just going to do more research. Not really sure.

Going to go play PS3!.. night!

Shantel-I have had that done...I am allergic to everything as well and have a hobby that sometimes causes me to have hives. Oh well. I used to get shots and they helped. Will you be getting shots?