Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

Im not sure. What were your experiences with them? Why did you stop? Did your insurance cover them? I am doubtful my insurance will cover anything seeing as they cover NO allergy meds b/c "there are so many available OTC".

KTM-That looks awful. Adding that to list of things never getting done. Any issues I'll srick to the OTC stuff.

Depending on the situation Cheese will be more relaxed bareback. Trail rides she acts the same no matter what tack you have on her. With ring work it varies upon the day. She is usually more relaxed bareback. However that could be because I am more relaxed bareback and stressing on some sort of work.

However that could be because I am more relaxed bareback and stressing on some sort of work.

CSA: I think this is a very very valid point. Cheese is very talented, and you are a very good rider, and it just seems like a lot of you guy's problems are mental, and I see so much of "she doesn't like this . . ." and "isn't good with this." Maybe if you could take a step back from the mind game mare's reel you into (and believe me, I know!! I am still convinced my mare hates me. I take it so personal) and realize that she is a horse, and you are the stronger personality here. Don't let her rope you in to thinking about how much she can't, won't, doesn't like, etc, and ride what YOU want.

If you want it.

Agreed with KTS. Don't take her evasions personally. Make an effort to laugh or smile every time she does something stupid, that she knows better than to do, and then just move on. Eventually, if YOU are not stressed, she will not have a reason to be either.

Well, Mir has become a total naughty boy. He's not being MEAN, but he has realized he has an opinion. His current opinion is that it's way fun to use the head as a weapon. So I'm trying to keep a soft contact, with him NOT inverted, and he thinks its better to throw his head up and then down and then up and then down. He's so gumby-like that there really is no riding him forward into a closed hand when he gets like this. I can do a LY, and as long as I haven't had to get after him for completely ignoring me, then he lifts his back to LY, but then he immediately starts with the head and and down garbage as soon as I circle again. And I'm not being too restrictive with him, because really I've not changed anything except that I'm not letting him get away with ignoring me when I ask for a little bit sideways. Babies... Thankfully a friend is going to mail me a chambon she never uses so I have something to lunge him in. Because sidereins are really just toys to him.

I wish I had the money to send him out for a month.

csa, I think Emily and Alyse make valid points. I myself am guilty of doing the same thing. Mares are very good at training you to do as they wish not the other way around. Ooooh but if I do X, Y, or Z, she will get mad/pissy/tense/anxious/etc. There has to come a point where you say OH WELL and get on with it. And I take things super personally with Layla too and I have to keep this thought in my head "Do not involved yourself with your horses problems!" I agree that Cheese is a super nice horse and you are a great rider. And mental blocks get the best of us.

Emily, that sucks. I have a chambon/degauge combo that I dont really use anymore (used it when I first had Layla and she wouldnt take any contact without ducking way behind the bit). I have it some where. If the chambon alone doesnt work out, lemme know. I also have vienna side reins you can borrow.

So how about this wonderful evening for me ----- got the horses fed quickly as a NASTY storm was moving in. Our friend John was over and we grilled out (well the grill was under the roof of the porch) steaks and had baked potatos, squash sauteed with onions, and mac n cheese. It was awesome. So the rain finally stops so I tell Randy I am going to go out and turn the horses out. So I get out there, turn Layla and Ben out, and go into Rexs stall to pull the shavings off of the wall that he pushes up there so he had more to lay on. No biggie.

Wellllllll - then I saw some of the tape on top of his bandage was off and in his tail so I lean over to grab that and we are in the far corner of his stall and all of a sudden there is a FREAKING WATER MOCCASIN in the stall!!!! I had just thrown Rex some O/A so I used the fork to push it away from us and this isnt a huge snake, about 18" long and around 1" thick but its the small ones that are the worst b/c they are super aggressive. So I pin the thing down with the fork but its in shavings and reallllly hard to keep it secured down. I reach for my cell to call for help but chit I dont have it. I couldnt let the snake go b/c Rex was in there and I didnt want him to get bit and I didnt want to lose the snake (sorry but posionous snakes gotta go!) so I couldnt leave the stall. So I am left in the stall screaming bloody murder for Randy or anyone to help. And of course its like 10pm and people are probably in bed for work tomorrow and my family is inside the house. Still, I am screaming and screaming to the point where my voice was cracking and I could barely scream. Of course Im stressing out b/c I dont want to be out there for hours with this snake. Rex is freaked out b/c Im screaming, Layla and Ben come over to that side of the barn b/c Im screaming, the dogs open the gate and come running and are whining b/c Im screaming. But no people!!! Finally after like 30 mins, my step dad hears me (he was over an acre away in his "man box" with head phones that hook up to the tv on) and comes over with a macheate (sp) and kills it. Talk about freaking stressed out. I am not scared of snakes but the fact that I was basically helpless with this snake IN my horses stall... uh yeh - totally stressed me out.

So that was my excitement for the evening. I swear I hate Florida in the spring/summer. *sigh*

Getting ready for bed... didnt realize how late it was b/c Randy and I were playing PS3 - Indiana Jones - Lego style!

Ah Shantel, that's horrible!!! I would be super stressed out too.

This is what I found last spring:

IMG_2058.jpg

I just got back from a mini vacation! I went to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my family for a couple days. Much needed.

I drank the whole thing.

DSCN0046.jpg

Edited by Kiss The Sky

KTM-I would have been screaming my head off at the sight of it. I hate poisenous creatures P{oor Rex probably had no idea what was going on.

KTS-That is one heck of a drink. Mini vacations are nice. Just had one a few weeks ago. I need another one already.I can't wait ubtil Sept. I am planing to take a whole week off.

shiloh-I so wish you were closer. Mir sounds like he is at the point where I enjoy riding/training the greenies.

Thank you guys for the compliments. I tend to be harsh on myself on how I ride. There had been way to many bad rides about a year ago that left me frustrated to the point of almost crying. So my brain got thinking way to much on the negativity. I have had to make myself find the positive in some rides. It helped me take a step back and look at some of our issues differently. Like Cheese's fav bit evasion is to tense up, not bend, and drop her inside shoulder. Before I just fought with her and pushed her onto contact. Pretty much what me trainer had me doing as well. Now I prefer to focus on keeping her straight through the turns and keeping her shoulder up. What do you know Cheese starts to soften and than we can work on going on the bit. I just need to find the way to defuse the mental game before it escalates.

wow sounds like everyone is having an exciting life at the moment!!

ktm - i would have DIED in that stall, i like snakes, i used to have one. just not POISOINOUS ones eeeek!

kts - ooh vacation! fun. that looks like the drink i need right now lol

shiloh - dont you hate when they get opinions? chin up and work through it *good vibes*

----

so me? not so interesting.. um let see I have been working alot trying to get the store sold. Justin's looking at buying a house in calgary woohoo!! Sucks cause i kinda wanted him to move up here, but with all the bullpoo with work and friends and all that im really starting to think that in a few months I may just quit my life here and move to calgary lol

Solo is doing wonderful, starting to put on some more weight, even seen him trot/canter in the paddock the other day. Getting the rest of his shots this weekend and then a quick once over to make sure his mites and skin are all cleared up (and that his leg is strong enough to keep up) and he can go out with the gang! YAY!

Ace is ace. Working on canter work and its coming really nicely, hes still ace and a bit goofy sometimes but I still love him.

Shantel, I will definitely let you know if I need to borrow your gadgets for Mir. I just don't think I can ride through this right now because all he's doing is getting stronger in the wrong muscles. I am going to put him on some Mg and see if that helps him loosen up some.

I am so glad we don't have those poisonous snakes down here, at least not that I've seen. Some rattlesnakes, but nothing else.

Alyse, what IS that? Its hard to tell from that pic. LOVE the drink. Is that pina colda?

Emily, I hear ya with the wrong muscles deal. Thats why for a few months I did nothing BUT lunge Layla when I first had her. Let her fight herself, NOT me. You will unfortunately never win.

maple, so glad to hear Solo is bouncing back so well. Cant wait to see more pics!

So called every tack and feed store in Jacksonville/St Augustine and NO ONE has Elasticon! What gives?!? My one feed store had ONE roll that I bought over a week ago and they will not have another one in until Thursday (I stop wrapping this Friday). So totally useless to me. I called my vet and she has tons (not Elasticon brand but same thing) and it was only $5 a roll vs $10 at the feed store. Plus its longer but not as wide. But thats exactly what I need.

So humid here today thanks to the rain we have been getting. I just have no motivation to ride after cleaning the stalls and changing Rex's wrap. Thank goodness we dont have any shows until the Fall.

Speaking of, I gotta go change so I can go out there and clean/bandage/feed the ponys. TTYL.

Girls....I was keeping this under wraps but I've got some really sad and really exciting news to share!

For reasons I can't explain on HC, I won't be starting up riding again on The Pony, nor will I be able to see him. I'm getting one last goodbye with him (probably sometime next week) and then, that is that. I'm very, very, very heartbroken. I've sort of compartmentalized it in my brain and pretend that it isn't actually happening, but the truth is, it is happening and it is happening for valid reasons.

That being said---the exciting news is that my parents didn't fight me too much about getting back in the saddle (although my dad refuses to support the decision haha). So this Friday, I've tentatively scheduled my FIRST ride (a riding lesson) back in the saddle! It is at a new barn with a new trainer. I've never seen or met her, and I've never seen the barn so this is a leap of faith. But it sounds incredibly promising!

Basically, as soon as I started to seriously look at local ads for lessons and instruction, a new ad popped up in the local circulation advertising itself for adult amateur "reriders" and *drumroll* specifically for riders post-injury! It is incredible. Both the trainer and the barn owner are riders who overcame very rough injuries from the saddle so they specialize in working with riders who come in with very specific mental blocks and issues with riding. I don't think I have issues with riding, per se, but it will be nice to start over somewhere small, safe, non-competitive and where they understand where I'm coming from and support me.

I'm trying to rope in a friend to come and take pictures to celebrate my first ride. Knock on wood this all works out!

Oh, and I need to get out after class on Thursday and buy a helmet....hmm....

Girls....I was keeping this under wraps but I've got some really sad and really exciting news to share!

For reasons I can't explain on HC, I won't be starting up riding again on The Pony, nor will I be able to see him. I'm getting one last goodbye with him (probably sometime next week) and then, that is that. I'm very, very, very heartbroken. I've sort of compartmentalized it in my brain and pretend that it isn't actually happening, but the truth is, it is happening and it is happening for valid reasons.

That being said---the exciting news is that my parents didn't fight me too much about getting back in the saddle (although my dad refuses to support the decision haha). So this Friday, I've tentatively scheduled my FIRST ride (a riding lesson) back in the saddle! It is at a new barn with a new trainer. I've never seen or met her, and I've never seen the barn so this is a leap of faith. But it sounds incredibly promising!

Basically, as soon as I started to seriously look at local ads for lessons and instruction, a new ad popped up in the local circulation advertising itself for adult amateur "reriders" and *drumroll* specifically for riders post-injury! It is incredible. Both the trainer and the barn owner are riders who overcame very rough injuries from the saddle so they specialize in working with riders who come in with very specific mental blocks and issues with riding. I don't think I have issues with riding, per se, but it will be nice to start over somewhere small, safe, non-competitive and where they understand where I'm coming from and support me.

I'm trying to rope in a friend to come and take pictures to celebrate my first ride. Knock on wood this all works out!

Oh, and I need to get out after class on Thursday and buy a helmet....hmm....

Shantel-- it's a black snake (I know, duh, right? but that's what they are called here, also king snake maybe?) I dunno. HUGE, usually 6 footers like this one, but non-poisonous and non aggressive. They just eat mice. I left the door open and he went out on his own.

YAY Hannah! I'm a big believer in things that are meant to be, and quantum physics and all that, and I think your continual positive attitude is working for you! Sorry about the Pony; look back and remember how much you learned and changed and have grown because of him, and see where that will lead you. That's how I try and look at the disappointments in my horse life.

Alyse, ah a king snake. I have king snakes and black indigo snakes that eat mice, frogs, and poisonous snakes! That is a great snake to keep around. The indigo snake that hangs around here is like 4'+ but like yours, just laid back and hanging out, not aggressive, etc.

Hannah, I am so sorry to hear about the Pony. However, I agree with Alyse, everything happens for a reason. You have learned so much from him. Remember all of the good memories and lessons he taught you. I def think that is a sign for the trainer. How could it be any more perfect? So excited for you. This is def a mile stone in your life. I am so happy that you are able to reach and then keep pushing past. Please get pics!!

Back to work in the AM. I have to get up in lik 4.5 hours. ugh. Only thing about LONG weekends are that my time schedules get all messed up... off to try to go to sleep.

Dobby-At least you have a chance to say good bye to Pony. Good luck with your first lesson back.

KTM-I hear you on the adjusting schedules.Especially after a long weekend.

Shiloh ? I can?t believe how fast Annie is growing up!! Glad to hear her first under saddle experience went so smoothly. Congrats on the new ducklings. Good luck with Mir. Sounds like you are running into a really difficult stage with him. Thankfully, Lieto doesn?t seem to have too many opinions.

Shantel ? Rex?s sister is a cutie ? she is going to have to grow into that head though!! Love all that chrome. There was supposed to be a whole new Twilight novel released ages ago, but apparently Stephenie Meyer gave the first several chapters to some friends/colleagues to review as she continued writing, and one of them posted the draft on the internet. She was so upset that she lost interest and stopped writing the novel. She hasn?t returned to writing on the Twilight series since then. She put the raw draft on website though. Not sure if she will continue the series or not. My allergies have gotten so bad recently, I really need to go have the allergy testing done. It is ridiculous how bad my allergies have gotten. OMG, I would have totally freaked with the snake. I hate snakes. How is Rex healing up??

CSA ? I prefer the plaid breeches over the plain. I do have a pair of chocolate and a pair of plain gray, but I hardly ever wear them. I have a pair of black pin strip breeches that I love. There are a lot of nice, well started youngsters out there that you wouldn?t have to spend a fortune on to buy when the time comes. The most important thing to remember is that you can always put more training into a horse, but you can?t add a brain/temperament!! Shop for the temperament, and then find one with as much training on it as you can afford.

Alyse ? The mini-vacation sounds just about perfect. Looks like you had a blast.

Maple ? Glad to hear Solo is putting on some weight. Were you able to get his feet trimmed?

Dobby ? So glad that you are going to be able to start riding again!! That is great news. Sorry it won?t be on the pony. I know how much you love him, but it sounds like you have found a really great place to start back at. A fresh start at a new barn with a new trainer might be just what you need though. Keep us posted and try to get us lots of pictures!!

Had a fantastic lesson last night. Lieto is really coming along so well. We have started to taper off the Doxy, which will take about 2 months total to completely wean him off of it. His pasture partner went home for the summer, and a new one moved in, so he is being introduced to a new buddy today. Hopefully that will go well. His old buddy was just starting to get a little too aggressive, so it was the perfect time for him to get a new pasture friend. This one is supposed to be more submissive like Lieto which should work out very well. Lieto is suddenly getting very dark again for the summer. ??

Lieto0180sc.jpg

Lieto0181sc.jpg

And have I mentioned what a nice big pasture he has? This picture only shows about half the pasture that he shares with one other horse. It is the largest pasture the barn has.

Lieto0183s.jpg

We had Natalie?s graduation party on Saturday. The guest list went from 10-15 to 40-50 with no warning to me until a couple of days prior to the party. Nat and Jack had been handing out a few ?extra? invitations, and suddenly the guest list increased. We were up very late Friday (2:30am) cooking food and preparing, and up at 8am again on Saturday to finish the last minute preparations. Needless to say, we were all exhausted by the time the party wrapped up and everyone left. Jack and I crashed around 10 or 11pm Saturday night, and Nat went to bed around 1am. We never heard a thing, but sometime later that night a (drunk??) driver went up over an 8 inch curb and slammed into our privacy fence and destroyed the fence and our cement retaining wall then took off without calling the police or leaving a note or anything. The fence was brand new. We just had it replaced less than a month ago. We called the police, and the officer who came refused to even write a report. Yes, we have since gone BACK to the police station to talk to a different police officer and a report SHOULD have and WILL be written.

Accident02s.jpg

Accident04s.jpg

Accident15s.jpg

We spent the rest of the holiday weekend out on the boat. There is apparently a really big fire in Canada, and all the smoke was drifting down through New England this weekend. This was what Boston looked like on Monday. This was NOT fog. It was smoke from the fire in Canada.

Charles50s.jpg

Charles52s.jpg

Okay, back to work!!

~Shelly~

Shantel-I got them as a kid and they did work. I don't know about the insurance as my parents paid for them. I am too lazy to keep up with that kind of stuff now.

Shelly-He looks darker again! I am going to take a picture of my mom's 20 year old grey horse so you can see how dark he stayed. I am thinking Lieto may retain some darkness forever too! Did you get that police report?

KTS-I love Ft. Lauderdale! I think I have been where you were. How fun!

Dobby-Good luck at your lesson and have fun!

Things have been crazy around here...keeping up with the horses, life, the farm, school. The horses are good and Beckham is ready to show second level. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have to make a trainer change. I just fired one and am meeting with a new one tomorrow. And I have finals next week!

I was on my way home from the barn tonight in the middle of a terrible storm and they came on the radio and said that there was a tornado warning and the rotation was spotted right where I was (and heading home to.) I didn't know whether to drive faster or jump in a ditch. It is still storming, but things have calmed down.

Off to study for a test!

I was on my way home from the barn tonight in the middle of a terrible storm and they came on the radio and said that there was a tornado warning and the rotation was spotted right where I was (and heading home to.) I didn't know whether to drive faster or jump in a ditch. It is still storming, but things have calmed down.

One more reason why I say you need to leave Ohio and move to Mass!! :-D Lieto will share his big field with Beckham, really he will!!! He likes company.

Jack has decided not to bother to get a police report written on the fence because he is just going to pay to have the damage repaired out of pocket rather than report it to the homeowner's insurance. He got quotes from the guys who originally installed both the retaining wall and the fence. Total cost of repairs to both will be about $1,000. We were expecting it to cost significantly more than that. For that amount of money, it isn't worth filing a claim on the homeowner's and risking a premium increase.

I would LOVE it if Lieto stayed dark. Really LOVE it. I have an affinity for dark dapple gray horses. He has so much brown in his coat, that he really might retain some darkness to him. Just no telling how much or for how long. I do think he will keep that dark mane and dark tail for a long time to come - if it ever grays out. I have seen plenty of light gray horses with dark gray manes and tails.

Keep me posted on how it goes at the new trainers today. I'm dying to hear what you think of her. Fingers crossed that you really like her because you really NEED a new trainer.

Okay, I am off to search for a trailer to borrow!! Wish me luck. If I can find a trailer to borrow, I am going to sign Lieto up for a clinic in July!! Woo-hoo!!!

~Shelly~

At work so super quick but Shelly, OMG about the fence! And LOVE that Lieto is staying dark. I love the dapples.

Beck, stay safe. I HATE tornados!

I must say that I love my baby horse who is on 2 weeks of strict stall rest and we are out in the round pen on the lead letting him eat grass when the neighbors kids about 50' from us decide to hold up a giant piece of Tyvek (the plastic sheets that go on houses to protect from water) and spray it with water which causes it to flap and make a ton of noise and then they lay it on the ground and use it as a Slip N Slide and Rex cant even be bothered to lift his head from grazing!

Lunch time...

Dobby - good luck getting back in the saddle, its sad that it cant be on the pony but im sure you will do great!

smithereens - yes i was able to get them done and what an improvement! he is walking so much better even starting to trot and canter around his paddock and he was an ANGEL for it. His tendons are a little retracted from the bad angle of his feet and walking funny on it but the general consensus is he will make a full recovery!! yay!!

that fence looks like quite a disaster, but leito looks great! hes so gorgeous.

----

well hope everyone is having a good week.

Hating my job, still havent found somewhere to live lol but my horses are doing well lol

just thought I'd throw in a couple pics of aceface, I have started riding him regularily again and he seems to be doing quite well. His hip was a little off at his last chiro but now that he is in shape again and muscling out he is holding together alot better. Started canter work last week. He is still a little wiggly and inconsistent but at this point Im moslty just working on getting him to relax and go forward. He still is on short workouts, he gets frustrated after like 20-30 mins. OH! and he out of the blue threw me a flying change last night haha my lower leg slipped back on the inside and he translated it to "change" all by himself lol i had to stop i was like WHAT JUST HAPPENED!! and b.o. was like OMG! then we laughed and made a big deal out of him, and i didnt try again cause hes not ready for them but it was fun anyway

sorry for the quality they are off a video. how do i look? in general i know you cant really see anything..

32228_422345372791_539817791_5470975_6320202_n.jpg

32228_422345392791_539817791_5470976_1318095_n.jpg

32228_422345397791_539817791_5470977_7185023_n.jpg

leaning forward in the canter like an idiot..

32228_422345412791_539817791_5470979_942489_n.jpg

32228_422345417791_539817791_5470980_3677625_n.jpg

Shantel ? What a good boy Rex is . . . and HUNGRY!! HA!! I?m not sure a cattle prod could get Lieto to pick his nose up out of green grass right about now. I literally have to drag him in out of the field these days. He has turned into a vacuum. I sure hope he isn?t getting ready to go through another growth spurt.

Maple ? Glad to hear you were able to have Solo?s feet trimmed. I?m sure that made a huge difference. SUPER hard to critique based on the photos you posted ? too small, far away and/or blurry, but from what I can see, overall it is looking very nice. It looks like either you are drawing your heel up and pinching with your upper thigh/knee or you stirrups are just too short. I just can?t tell from the pictures which it really is, but I?m leaning towards you drawing your heel up and pinching. Think about opening with your leg and relaxing it down long. Step down into your stirrup with every stride. Really let your weight fall down through your heels. As tempting as it is to try to ?help? Ace go more forward by leaning forward with your upper body ? sit up tall, try to touch your shoulder blades together, lift your belt buckle and use your seat/core to drive him forward.

~Shelly~

Thanks guys for all the support!

Bad news is that my photographer bailed on last minute.

Anyone know of anyone in the area that can come take photos?! Baha. I'm desperate. I just realized how little amount of horse-safe friends I have!

I would, but I'm like 12 hours from you :(

Maple- Looks good, just remember to lengthen your leg and your upper body. Have you read any Centered Riding? It has some good images and analogies that would help.

Madam Trainer rode Riley today, to work on changes. Lordy, he's a changing fool!!! He's so HAPPY when he does them! Ears flopping, he's like "now? Now? NOW? Please, now?!" and then it's like "Ok" and he's like "Whheee let's do it again!"

No bucking or anything, they are very legit changes, but he's so INTENSE about them! He was trying so hard (too hard sometimes, haha).

We are nearly ready to start riding the 3rd level tests. He should be solid for all three by now, but easily 1 and 2.

And news on the guy front. He's coming in tomorrow, spending the night and we are going XC schooling sat am. Can't wait! Still can't believe it's going so well. Despite the long drive, we've seen each other every week to every other week for the past two months. And I still can't say what we are, other than really good friends, and competition, haha.

Alyse, being really good friends is the first step towards a long and lasting relationship. I am so happy for you this is going so well. Have fun and be safe XC schooling! And yay for Riley. I am so excited to hear hes ready for 3rd! I know you had ANOTHER bout of bad luck with him but hes coming back with a vengance.

Dobby, I would but Im REALLY far away. Get a digi cam with video, put friend on other side of fence, tell them to point and keep you and the horse in the middle of the frame. Good luck.

Rode Layla today. Third ride since her hocks were done. She feels great. Like more great than she thinks she does. She keeps wanting to go and be super forward and bouncy and then OOPS there goes a stifle. I had been taking it easy on her before the injections and then she had over a week off after them and this is only the third ride in 2 weeks. Canter is very nice though to the left she is still wanting to tilt and not truly carry on the RH but that will come with me showing her that she CAN push with the RH and build that muscle. Doing some SI and LY to help with that. Trot is really nice too. Towards the end I was having to keep my hands higher than I normally would so that I could lift the bit in her mouth to keep her soft and flexing without pulling back. Forward thinknig hands ONLY with her. But she did great.

Rex is on small paddock turn out starting tomorrow. I have been able to put him in the round pen with all of the grass for like 15 mins while I clean stalls. But today he rolled and it felt so good he got up and started bucking like crazy. While I have a mild panic attack, I also think, Dear Lord please never do that when Im on you! When I ran to get him, he had this HUGE passgey trot going on. I did stop for a split second to admire it before I brought him in. Poor baby horse. Tomorrow is 2 wks of strict stall rest so hes been SO good considering. I am going to bring some of the round pen panels over off the corner of the barn and make a little run off of his stall. I just hope he behaves. Oh and I get to remove his stitches tomorrow.

Shantel ? MUCH better pics of the filly. She is nice looking. I agree, you NEED her. HA!! I?m such a help!! reddevil.gif So, do you want the good news or the bad news?? Good news is that given how laid back and quiet Rex is, he is unlikely to be an avid bucker/bolter; however, like Lieto, he will probably tend to suck back, be on the lazier side and try to be a bit behind your leg. Not a big deal, BUT when baby horse gets tired and doesn?t WANT to go forward, and the work gets hard, and you have to push him forward, THAT is when he will most likely push the boundaries and break out that BIG BUCK every once in a rare while just to see how much you REALLY MEAN ?go forward now?!!!! Lieto did that to me last night. He was tired, the work was hard, and he just wanted to test and see if I really meant forward NOW!! He launched one MASSIVE almighty buck. Fortunately, my seat is good enough that I was tossed forward a little, but that was the extent of it, and I was able to get right back onto my seat and crack him another one. Not sure who was more surprised ? Lieto or Julie ? but it sure answered Lieto?s question!! YES, forward NOW!! I?m absolutely sure he will test me again, but it will be awhile before he forgets and breaks out that buck just to see if I really mean it or not. I successfully answered the question last night. Welcome to the wonderful world of babies. Your time will come, too. So the good news is that with the good brained ones like Rex, the big bucks are usually few and far between. The bad news is that, he is baby, and no matter what, he will eventually test the boundaries, so work hard on your seat and be ready when he decides that this just can?t be something he HAS to do right now. Glad to hear Layla is doing well after her hock injections.

Dobby ? That is one of the drawbacks to horseback riding . . . it is really hard to take pictures of yourself riding!! Go, have a blast, and if you happen to get some pictures as well, BONUS!! A photographer doesn?t have to be horse savvy. Just don?t let them in the ring with you. Plunk them in a seat on the other side of the fence or at the edge of the arena and tell them to point, shoot and take as many pictures as they possibly can ? with a digital so that you don?t spend a fortune developing the pics!!

Alyse ? Sounds like Riley is coming back together very nicely indeed. An overachiever!! I?m hoping Lieto will be very similar to him when it comes time to introduce changes. He has a natural aptitude for them and already offers them up on occasion. OOOHHHH, the guy front is moving right along very nicely. Off to a very good start. The best, longest lasting relationships start out as good friendships. Don?t rush it. Just let it develop at it?s own pace and see where it takes you both. Enjoy the ride.

Had a great lesson on Lieto last night. Really excited ? I was able to set up the clinic for me and Lieto!! The clinic is with Ann Guptill on July 18th. I rode with her a couple of times a few years back with Razzle, so this should be really nice to get to ride with her again only on Lieto. The clinic organizer has been kind enough to set me up a stall in case Lieto has a meltdown and needs a timeout. She has also given me the ride time right after the lunch break so that I can take him into the arena when no other riders are in there and let him settle and look around (lunge if necessary, etc.). I also managed to get some help riding Lieto. The woman who is loaning me her trailer is currently horseless. She is a 3rd/4th level rider who is very busy right now, but she has been eyeing Lieto and just loves him. I am still paying the BNT to put 1 day a week in on him, but he is going great, so I really don?t NEED the BNT trainer to ride him, I just need someone to help out 1 day a week. Julie told me she felt this woman would be a really good match, and when I offered her the ride, she JUMPED at the chance. She wants to start NOW, NOW, NOW!! She works all weekend, but will meet me at the barn on Monday before my lesson so I can show her where all his tack is, then she will set up a lesson on him, and go from there.

Happy Friday!!!

~Shelly~

Hey folks! Alas, no photographer. I should make more friends in my hometown who aren't still in high school!

But despite this lack of evidence, I had an AMAZING first ride back on a very quiet QH gelding named Skip and with a lovely little trainer in the town over from me. She is relaxed and sweet and came back from an intense riding injury herself so she understand the psychology of starting over again. I felt so relaxed and free under her instruction and the moment I sat on the saddle...it what, mentally, like I never left. No fears, not anything (well...not jumping yet lol!). The muscles aren't there yet but I got completely for my natural seat and pretty good leg [bat Eyelashes] I don't think I've ever been complimented on my riding before!

Anyhoo, I wrote up a NOVEL about it on the H/J Board, so here is the link. I'd love it if you guys read it because teh Dressage Board is basically where my favorites are (winkwink) but if you don't have the time, I understand.

Also, not mentioned in that thread is the fact that my new trainer really wants to get my parents behind me and supportive and so we're crafting a plan to get my mom out to see a lesson because I think if I get her out to see it, pet Skip, and chitchat with the new trainer, she'll be on board. I don't think my Dad will ever be on board, but I'm hoping to win over my Mom. I'm obviously paying for this right now (I've done this for my whole riding career lol!) and with my limited student budget, one lesson once a week is all I can afford, so one ride a week it is!

Novel Thread About my First Ride Back: Yay!

Lots of love to you all,

Hannah

Shelly, I totally know one day I will have to deal with the buck. He is the type that will go along and do as you like but when hes done, he wants to be done, and when you tell him NO and make him listen, he does get a little sassy. So I def know the day is going to come to deal with that.

I was able to drag part of the round pen over and build a little paddock off the corner of the barn for him. He went and rolled and of course got up hopping and bucking but after 3 kicks, he was tired, and settled in just fine.

Sounds like Lieto and Rex have the same work ethic. Good for you for sticking it out and making sure he knew you meant business. That was my problem with my first young horse over 6 yrs ago. I *thought* I knew how to ride well but when he started his bucking crap when asking for the canter and landed me in the ER with compressed nerves in my back, he had my number.

And how exciting about this rider! and the clinic!! Jack will be taking pics/vids, right?!?

My girlfriend from work is coming over tonight with her daughter (who is like 11) and The Moms and me are going to play board games with them. We are super excited to finally have enough people for the 4 player board games! And in 2 weeks, her daughter is going to S Fla for the summer with her dad, but Randy LOVES to play games too so we will have 4 players all summer. We LOVE playing games.

Off and on rain today... well really sun showers. Its sunny but pouring rain. And ahh there is thunder. Ponys are inside eating hay so at least I dont have to worry about lightning!

I found a vet locally to come out and inject Rexs hock. We are going to do it on the 15th in the AM (I am off that whole week). Either today or tomorrow Im taking out his stitches (if the wrap lasts until tomm it will be then).

Just a lazy, hang out day today. Gotta straighten up though before company gets here this evening.

Happy Friday!!!

Hannah ? So glad your lesson went so well. Hope your plan to suck your mom in works out!!

Shantel ? Definitely sounds like Lieto and Rex are just alike ? perfectly willing to go right along until the work gets too hard, and they get a little too tired, then pitch a little fit just to see where it gets them!! Lazy boys!! Urrgghh!! If Lieto had thrown one more buck, I?m not sure I would have been telling the same story today. One massive buck, okay. More than that . . . ??? Eeek!! I?m not all that great at riding out multiple bucks. So far, Lieto has been a one buck sort of guy. Hoping it stays that way. Yes, Jack will be taking pics and video for me at the clinic. Can?t wait!! I think Lieto?s new rider, Maureen, will work out very well. She is very excited, and I think it will be a good match. It couldn?t have come at a better time either as I am going to be away next weekend, so Lieto would have had nearly a week off of work except now Maureen will step in and work him while I am gone. Why does Rex have to have his hock injected?? Is it a follow up procedure due to the surgery?? Will he have to have it done continually now, or just this one time?? I?ve never had to deal with OCD surgery so this is all new to me.

~Shelly~

So, if I move to Mass, I also need to board Winston and Shelby! And that would be WAY too expensive! Heck, with all of these critters, it was crazy just to move and hour and a half back to Columbus! I came back with more then I left with!

Dobby-Congrats on your lesson! I am very happy for you!

Shantel-I broke Beckham myself, no one else has ever been on him (except my 3 year old cousin:-) and he never bucked with me till last fall when he I whacked his butt when he sucked back too. Last night when I was riding I had two deer chasing each other around the arena and he could have cared less. (Yes, I live in wild kingdom:-) But not with your snakes!!

Speaking of all of my pet deer...Beckham and I almost stepped on a fawn that was sleeping in the field I was riding in. Then I saw his mommy come back and get him. I have seen them out around the barn about everyday since and he is so cute. I named him Bambi, of course!

I start riding with a new trainer next week. I am excited and am hoping to show in July.

I have finals on Mon and Tues and I am tired already. This morning I went on a tour of our local emergency vet service with some classmates. Unfortunately we had to see a little doggy passing away in front of us. They have so many cool departments that I would love to work in though.