Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

Shelly, yes the injection is follow up to the surgery. It is to help the joint heal from the removal of the bone chip (bad term as it wasnt a chipped piece of bone but a piece of bone that got stuck on the outside of the cartilige). And it is just this one time *for this specific issue*. Of course its not to say 6-10 yrs down the road he may need injections but not from the OCD surgery.

Beck, arent fawns so cute??? I remember being like 10 trail riding with my aunt in GA and we came through a thicket with lots of trees and tall grass and I looked down to my left and there was a little fawn. So cute! Sorry about having to see the dog pass away. I couldnt handle that stuff. Good luck with the new trainer! And I hope I am lucky like you have been & Rex doesnt buck! lol

OK so I had a very fun day. We went trail riding with the dressage people, and someone invited a friend who does combined driving with a little Haffie mare. So I am gushing over how adorable she is, and mention that I have always wanted to learn to drive, but none of my horses are sane enough. SO she let me drive the pony the last 1/4 mile or so back to the trailers, and then let me trot her around in a circle. It's harder than it looks, since you DON'T keep your outside rein back. Anyway, long story short, I am going to put some dressage training on the mare, and she's going to let me learn to drive her. I'm very excited. She only lives like 10 minutes from me, so she said she can come pick me up and everything.

And I rode Mir and his brain seems to have leaked back into his head. I finally was able to keep contact and ride his back up and hind legs under, and get the canter leads a couple times, with no bucking. Now we did have a major fit at the LY, as he is determined that the right hind cannot possibly cross under his body, but he got over himself. Not sure if this is a result of a different bit (he's usually softer the first or second time I ride him in something different, so I've been just going with that), or if maybe having my paddocks and half chaps allowed me to get my heel under his belly enough to get him lifting his back a bit, or if he's just decided to cooperate suddenly. So fingers crossed that he maintains this cooperative attitude.

And now my mind has gone completely blank, so I am going to bed.

How cool about the haffie! Ive never driven either but it looks like a lot of fun. And good for Mir to decide to behave himself!

Lazy day today. Was supposed to get hay but we had tstorms all afternoon so it was delayed until tomorrow AM (my hay guy comes down from PA with a semi). Went to TSC and got some rubber boots for myself, pigeon food, salt block, PDZ for the stalls, a few more vet wraps for Rex, and fly traps.

Removed Rexs stitches today. He didnt even move. I think they were itchy so he was glad to have them out. I have to keep him wrapped another 4 days though to make sure everything is closed up. He will be so glad to get the wrap off. Unfortunately, with a high motion joint and having to wrap it for 18 days, he has some minor bandage sores. The vet said unfortunately they would happen but it is better to have some sores on the skin than to have an infection in the joint. *sigh* I understand but I still feel awful. The main one is on the back of his hock just above the cap of the hock. I have padded it really well with gauze but it really just needs air. 4 more days.........

Rex is enjoying his paddock attached to his stall. I am going to slowly add a panel to it over the next few days to make it bigger. Vet said he could go into a paddock the size of a round pen but when I had him in the round pen the other day, he was able to gain way too much speed. So gradually we will add to his paddock.

Going with my friend tomorrow to look at wedding dresses. Ahhh I remember the days. So exciting yet so stressful! Hopefully I can help her out though... I *was* going to open my own bridal store before the economy tanked.

Oh - was going through old pics - does Paradise aka Red remind you of Rex? In this pic he was a 6 y/o Westphalian standing 18.2 (and trust me, I measured him and he was ALL of it!). I sadly make him look 16.2!

Hes standing on level concrete and the solid walls on the stall fronts were at 4'.

100_1982.jpg

100_2010a.jpg

100_2012a.jpg

100_2019a.jpg

And Red was just like Rex - NO forward button. I learned to wear spurs and carry a whip when I rode him.

Shantel, that horse does not look 18.2h in that pic. I believe you that he is, but your long legs make him look shorter than that. That sure is a long way to fall though.

So Mir was a good boy again today. I am starting to work more on stretching out his stiff side, and driving the right hind up under him, and getting my heels under his belly to get him to lift his back. I'm sure once he gets the right muscles it will be easier for him. He did throw in one leap in the canter. He just had to get some opinion out there. At the trot he has ways to avoid me that DON'T involve bucking, but at the canter, all he has is bucking. At least this was half-hearted, and he went right back into the canter when he landed.

And Annie got shaved. She's been getting so sweaty, and I just couldn't get the hair off with a curry. She stood like a pro, though she did have some baby moments. I got everything but her belly and her butt, so I will do those tomorrow. She's much cooler.

Isnt it sad I can make Paradise look so small??? Just goes to show how proportions play into the picture. He was broad in the back but not very well sprung in the ribs. SUPER nice horse (was imported for $60k for hunters and then cast himself and cut up his hind legs really bad - no perm damage other than visual so since the hunters go so much on visuals too esp the models, they sold him for $15k!). I learned now to not pump at the canter on him and we could do flying changes all day (hunter ones but still!)

Good for Mir. At least he isnt throwing HUGE bucks in. And what a good Annie! It has been so hot here so I know it has to be even worse for you guys down south.

Went with my girlfriend to look at wedding dresses today. Whew it is exhausting but we did find a few that she liked. Two more shops in Jax she wants to look at next weekend.

The flies are so bad this year! I dont know whats up. Maybe because there are 6 horses next door now? But I put those fly traps in Layla and Bens stall as the flies are just swarming the shavings. Then they smelled the traps and went to those in a cloud of black. Haha suckers! For some reason my Country Vet auto fly sprayer things arent spraying. They arent clogged, brand new cans in them, and new batteries. Not really sure whats going on so that doesnt help the situation.

Was able to expand Rexs pen to twice the size this am. Def made him happy. Now that hes out hes not bucking and acting a fool so every other day Ill enlarge it.

Back to the grind tomorrow.... Ive been spoiled with all of these short weeks.

Oh and dont you love when its SO humid outside, you cant even look out your windows in your house b/c they are totally fogged up? Im on my 3rd set of clothes and 2nd shower today. GROSS.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

KTM-You make that horse look small. I can see why you like the big guys. When you mention their heights all I can think of is how the heck does she get on them. I would need a ladder.

shiloh-Glad Mir's brain cells came back. It sounds like the heat is awful down there. We are finally getting a break in the heat today. Winter always makes me want to move south. Summer makes me want to stay here. I need to hit the lottery so I can get a sunner home.

It has been hot and humid here the past couple of weeks. So I have been trying to keep work light for Cheese and leave her adjust to working in the heat.The one day we just got done warming up and Cheese was already sweating. Getting a break today. So I think I may do some jumping with Cheese. See how bad we look.

Work was a pain this week. We have two managers who have a rotating 4 day on and 4 days off schedule. Well I have decided the one manager is an idiot and I don't think I can deal with him.They switch managers on a yearly basis. So I have another 10 months of him.I was so ready to tell him what I thought of him Fri. It is going to be an interesting 10 months.

csa, good luck with the work thing. Sounds wonderful (totally sarcastic!) I hear ya on the heat!

Hopped on bareback yesterday when I got home. I wasnt going to do anything b/c all day it was like a wall of hot air as soon as you walked outside. Just God awful. But 630 came around and the wind shifted and it was actually pleasant outside. Just w/t for like 10 mins and Layla was already sweating and my jeans were soaking wet (ewww).

Finally am making a dent with the flies. I am leaving 2 of the water fly traps and a sticky fly trap in Laylas stall at night and man, in one night, they are super full. My step dad also fixed my auto fly sprayers so those are going now too.

How about some how ants got into my freezer where I keep my feed! SO annoying. I dont know how they got in there and then the bird food had weeviles (sp but they are moths) so I got the shop vac out and cleaned it all out and hopefully fixed the problem.

Gotta go shower and get ready for work tomorrow. Early day tomorrow.

Crazy horse day.

Madam Trainer's Lipp. mare had a baby! Going grey filly, with a star!

Amore is now sound?! So I'm back to riding her.

Took Bennigan on his first trail ride with me, with my sister and her retired horse Bailey, who hasn't been out in two years, and they were both fabulous!

All the pics are on FB, but here's two cute ones:

30625_1252855166819_1392720738_3117.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

Beckham ? We lease Shelby out (her lazy butt needs to work anyway!!) and that income can pay for a retirement board home for Winston. There done!! Now you can move to MA!! I?m so clever.

Shantel ? Got it!! I?ve never had to do surgery for OCD on a horse before, so wasn?t sure of the after care and such. Glad to hear that the injection will only need to be a one time deal. Poor Rex ? hope his bandage sores don?t get too bad before you are able to leave the leg unwrapped. You compared to Red ? he does not look 18.2hh. Red compared to the background in the photos ? he looks every bit of 18.2hh and more!! Good lord that is a big horse!!!

Shiloh ? I?m totally jealous about the driving training. There was a woman that I used to exercise her horses for her when I was teen, and the horse I rode was trained to drive. She hitched him up one day and gave me a driving lesson. I remember it being WAY harder than it looks. Mostly because the horse was so sensitive to my hand aids, and I didn?t have my seat/leg aids to balance them that I felt like every little movement I made with my hands, and he was veering all over the place. I?m a much more skilled rider now ? not that I think that would make the driving any easier, I just figure my list of difficulties would be different!! HA!! Wish I could say Lieto was behaving as well as Mir these days!!

CSA ? Sorry to hear that work is so difficult. I have two main bosses, and one of them is very hard to work for as well, so I know how you feel. There are days when I call Jack and ask him to remind me WHY I need to keep working because if I don?t hear all the reasons listed out NOW, I am apt to stand up and walk out.

Alyse ? Glad to hear Amore is sound enough for riding again ? that?s great news. Looks like you and your sister had a great time on the trail ride.

So, speaking of bad baby horses . . . Lieto was very bad this weekend!!! I got him tacked up to ride, mounted up, and didn't even make one walking lap of the arena before I was screaming for the BNT to come and rescue me. He was snaking his head and then yanking it down between his knees threatening to try to buck me off - seriously threatening. He has NEVER done anything like that before, and he really meant it. That was enough to convince me to get off his back as soon as possible. BNT had to come rushing into the arena and hold him while I got off. She put him on the lunge to see what was up, and same thing, head snaking and bucking!!! She sent him forward and made him work and didn't let him be silly. Every time she asked for a canter transition though, head snaking and bucking into it. Took about 10 minutes or so on the lunge before he got the bee out of his butt, and BNT felt safe enough to climb on his back and see if he was back to normal. She rode him for about 15 minutes just to be sure, but he was fine after that. I got on and had a great ride on him. We think that because when I got on him, we were all alone in the arena, and I stopped to chat with her for a minute while EVERYONE ELSE (horses and people) were standing around in the aisle not working, that he basically had a massive temper tantrum that he didn't want to have to work, and once he started having the meltdown, he had a full scale meltdown, and just had to be put on the lunge and WORKED through it. Once he was shown that it was going to be a work day, he just settled in and worked like normal. ARRRGGHHH!!! 5yo's!!!! Isn't he supposed to grow up at some point??? *sigh*

I had a lesson Monday night, but thankfully it was much less dramatic. I was just hand walking him around the arena waiting for Julie to arrive for the lesson as I didn't want to mount up unless either BNT or Julie was going to be in the arena with me - just in case. Every time we walked past the aisle way doors, he tried to throw on the brakes and yank/push at me in a nasty way. So when we started to approach an aisle way door, I popped him on the butt with my whip and got him moving!! That did it. He wasn't particularly happy, but he wasn't being nasty either. He was just marching along side me with a mad face. Finally another horse and rider came in the ring, mounted up and started working. He was suddenly all happy and relaxed and meandering along side me. ?? So apparently he just doesn't want to be alone in the ring anymore?? Brat!!! When Julie got there, I mounted up, and he was fine. I walked him once around and was just about to go to the trot, passed an aisle way door when he head snaked and tried to yank his head down. I tapped him with the whip and got him moving forward. He didn't try it again. We just sent him to the trot and got him working, and that was it. Had a very good lesson.

Mr. Social Butterfly lost his pasturemate back in early May, but he finally got a new pasturemate yesterday, so hopefully that will cure his need to visit everyone in the barn, and his new anti-work attitude will go away. Either that or this is simply because I sent in the money for the clinic on Friday!! HA!!!

~Shelly~

Shelly, NO fun. Lieto needs to play fair! Im so glad that you have a trainer there who can help out when the baby moments show up. You guys will do great at the clinic and if he acts up, at least you will have a great teacher to help you through it.

So rode Layla tonight. Starting to do more and more actual work though shes still weak behind, esp those stifles. I dont know if shes coming into heat or she just feels good but shes UBER relaxed and chill and mellow though you wouldnt know it when I let them out while I cleaned stalls - galloping and bucking and leaping and snorting. Silly mare.

Anyways, started out in our best hunter princess immitation that we could muster and slowly built up impulsion and tempo. WONDERFUL canter transitions (like whoa) and then she came round and lifted up and came on the bit and was rollin'! all on her own. Just a really really nice canter both ways. After we warmed up I did more of a true working trot, putting her together a little more, and REALLY focusing on being STRAIGHT and pushing evenly behind. Her left stifle gets weak when her hocks bother her b/c her right hock is the worse so she overworks the left stifle. So, tracking to the left she doesnt want to truly step under and tries to put the right hind too far over to take more of the load. Thats when she gets crooked and tilts her head. Thankfully Ive figured out how to fix this! Then to the right she wants to hang on my right rein and trail the left hind so almost counter flexion with pulsing outside aids to keep the left hind in the party.

Ill tell ya, the last few mins of trot (we spent it in shoulder fore to really get the hindend moving) was amazing. Sarah said she was just trucking but looked SO relaxed and at ease and happy! Layla wanted to up the tempo a bit or push a little more but I keep having to remind her that shes not 100% yet (at which time we had a little stifle slip!)

Last day of work tomorrow!!! YAY. Im off all next week. Dr was taking all next week off so a few of us already made plans and then he just changed his mind and wants to work Mon and Tues. So 3 of us were like nope we made plans so another assistant is covering. It is going to be REALLY hard going back to work and working like ALL 4 days!

OH! And I received tray #7 of 14 for my Invisalign today. So I am 1/2 way finished with my treatment! YAY

Running late tonight as I got stuck watching So You Think You Can Dance... should have been asleep 40 mins ago! NIGHT!

KTM-Yay for a long weekend.

KTSIt looks like a nace place to hack.

Shelly-That is why I keep a pic of Cheese in my wallet next to my time card. At least you had a trainer there to help you and Lieto work through his issue.I am not sure I could deal with the young horse shenanigans anymore.

So I did some jumping with Cheese on Mon. My jump saddle is a treed saddle. Since I have been riding bareback or in a treeless saddle it felt strange. Cheese had a b;ast. She was a bit of a pig yesterday though.Got some nice stops off of just seat. Very nice for her. She has come a long way with her stops. Five years ago you had to fight her for a min/1 lap of the ring to get her to stop.

Had a GREAT lesson last night with Lieto. He was in a much better mood when I got to the barn. He was all kisses. ??? Guess he is happy to have a pasture mate back. He went straight to work with no silliness or threats to buck. I'm sure I haven't seen the last of it, but at least we seem to have a handle on it for now. He did manage to switch up weak sides on me though. He is normally weak on the right hind, and last night for the first time, it was the left hind. That made the ride a whole new challenge for me.

Shantel - Sounds like Layla is really doing great and coming along very nicely from the hock injections.

CSA - Yes, I don't think I could deal with a youngster without the support system of the trainers at the barn. I like knowing that when I feel like he is going to be naughty, I don't have to try to deal with him. I can hand him off to a professional. Of course, after watching the BNT deal with him this weekend, I realized that she didn't actually DO anything I couldn't have done myself, but it's nice to step back and see the correct way for dealing with naughty behavior so that the next time you are faced with it, you can deal with it confidently on your own.

~Shelly~

just stoppin in quick to prove im still alive. ridiculously busy with work and trying to find a house. solo ogt kicked out with all the other horses this week so hes happy as a clam. wedding this weekend and then the national at spruce on sunday! woohoo! i love having a man into horses haha he texts me and says "do you think we will be back in calgary before 2 on sunday cause id kinda like to catch the derby" haha win.

Boo, WHERE ARE YOU???

HOT as all get out today. Just gross. Thank God for a wonderful husband who had my barn cleaned, horses hayed and fed, and breakfast made up for the AM. Werd!

Shelly, yay for a good lesson. Lieto must be a smart learner too and knows the tantrams dont work.

maple, have fun!! and I cant wait to see more pics of Solo

csa, Im sure Cheese likes the change in the routine. Layla loves to go on trail rides and hack around in the field.

Its 6pm and I dont have anything to do outside. Its 95 and humid as crap... I think Ill chill in the A/C!!!

woo busy weekend!! hoping to get out and take some more pictures of Ace and Solo this week, wasnt able to get out there between work and the rain and being gone all weekend.

my car crapped out so we donated it to our local fire dept so they could practice with it. BIL was a little over zealous

30038_425902177791_539817791_5570720_4235802_n.jpg

30038_425902302791_539817791_5570739_7187169_n.jpg

then my friend got married this weekend. it was such a great wedding. Aiden was ring bearer, he looked so cute

30038_425901277791_539817791_5570706_1339365_n.jpg

and for the first time ever me and justin were in the same picture haha

30038_425901002791_539817791_5570695_6016802_n.jpg

then on sunday Justin and I went to watch the nexen cup at spruce (ill post all the pics in h/j)

26687_425915682791_539817791_5571010_5576835_n.jpg

then we went out to justin's barn to see the babies. i love it there its so gorgeous. everytime i go and its so realzing out there and the facility is great hes like well you CAN just not go home, and then this can be your home.

pheonix

26687_425915947791_539817791_5571043_5848656_n.jpg

rio

28628_425918342791_539817791_5571097_6055856_n.jpg

Maple-Nice pics on the H/J board.

I took Cheese to a pleasure show this weekend. Bsaically I leave work , go help load up, go home to grab stuff, and than head to the show. Luckily the BO watches Cheese in the afternoon. That way I can go home and get some sleep for work. The whole idea is to get Cheese more relaxed in the ring and learn not everything is running. The show is a cheap one. I just wish they did dressage shows there. When entering the ring and turn right Cheese will usually swing her hind end and get all excited(like you would be lining up for a gymkhana class).Well this time she entered at a nice flat footed walk and just followed the rail. A big step on getting her to relax. She got a little besides herself with backing but overall only had one real bad meltdown in the ring.

My niece showed in leadline again. My sister and I had discussed the show and pretty much decided to skip this one. however my niece must had overheard and asked her mom about it the next day. When the judge tried talking to her my niece clammed up and just looked straight ahead. She can be so shy at times. As soon as the judge was two horses down she wouldn't shut up. Oh well I wasn't to fond of the judge. He had leadline kids in a walk class back up. When teach kids I want them to walk and trot before they learn to back. Most horses have worked with would walk around all day no matter what the kid did. At the trot the kid actually has to use their legs and ask for it. Once they understand how to use their legs than I teach the kids to back up a horse. I don't want the kids to get in the habit of just yanking on a horses mouth to back. I guess it is just personal prefernce.

Hannah- Wish I saw this earlier. I haven't been on HC in weeks. I would have come and taken pictures of you!!! silly girl!!!!!!!!!

This is so much to catch up on. And Scotch has being going fantastic!!! Had another event that went really well. OF course there are lots of pics.

Hope all is well.

Hey guys! Randy and I made a last minute decision to go down to Orlando and stay on site and go to Universal and Islands of Adventure! So thats where I am right now. Actually am in the room right now getting ready to head back to City Walk and go to the IMAX showing of Iron Man 2.

Lots of fun... crazy hot. Like yesterday was 96 but with a heat index of 101-103 and today was 98 with a heat index of 104-108!!! So needless to say, heading to the parks early, back to the hotel by noon and in the pool. Today we actually had a bad storm around 4pm and then went back to Universal afterwards. I was really expecting it to get super muggy after the rain but it wasnt that bad.

We finalllllllly got to ride the Rip Ride Rocket - which is the new coaster at Universal. You get to pick your own music and it videos your whole ride. I will just say it has moved up to #1 on my fav ride list. Whoa mutha.

Just 3 pics to share now... I hate using lap tops esp without an actual mouse so I will wait until I get home for the rest of the pics.

First day.. prior to leaving the hotel

P1020394.jpg

On the boat that takes us to the parks

P1020395.jpg

Being dork in line for Spiderman with our 3D glasses

P1020399.jpg

Headin home tomorrow... I hope I can ride my horse!! Its been OVER a week and shes been SO good lately. Rex is supposed to get his injection tomorrow morning but we wont be back in time - I had a total brainfart! So I shot the vet an email and will check tomorrow if they want Jill to be there with them when they do it or my step dad or if they want to reschedule. Opps!

csa, congrats on walking calming into the arena! I think the more and more you take her out the better she will be and the more confident in her you will become.

maple, great pics with the car and the ponies! And you and your bf are so cute together! Looks like you were meant to be!

Well Im home. No riding though as Laylas right front shoe is about to wiggle off. Left a message for the farrier. Hopefully he will be out soon. Rex got his hock injection today so by Friday he will be ok for normal movement and that is also the day he is allowed to go back out in a normal pasture. YAY. Im sure he will be very very happy about that.

Off to bed... driving (well riding) in a car totally zaps me of energy.. cant wait to be in my own bed!

KTM-I hope Rex is out enjoying his freedom again. Ouch that was a hot day. However it looks like you and Randy enjoyed yourselves despite the heat.

The reprograming the mare's brain for shows is such a nerve wrcking thing. She had learned to stand quietly outside the ring and crazy barrel horse inside the ring. She is also pretty quit warming up. So when we go into the show ring I never know what I am going to get. It makes things ibteresting.LOL.

So I actually felt up to doing some dressage work after work today. The past couple weeks have been very tiring. So I opted for easier stuff. That way I could relax more. Anyway Cheese was really good. I have a couple pics off of hubby's cell phone. Yes I still have issues with my hands in my lap. Getting better but not 100% there.

First pics is a bit shadowy. Which it is good because you can't see my horrible chair seat I had going on. However I really still like it.

iphonecheese019.jpg

Yep bad me with the hands. It is such a reflex when Cheese gets bad. However I did keep the contact and continued to drive her forward. Sorry about the outfit I went to the barn from work with no time to change ib between.

iphonecheese023.jpg

Lauren---Holy cow. We need to communicate better lol!

Girls. I wish to share with you this amazing piece of information I learned this week.

On the emotional maturity scale, Horses > Boys. Seriously. When you decide that the relationship isn't working and that you need to take a break from each other, Horses much quietly on grass in the field, happier for the decision. Boys send nasty text messages with mean words.

ENDDD of story.

OH, and guess what? I had my second ride/lesson last week annddd I jumped for the first time back! Its super super exciting. The instructor who is still so incredibly sweet and amazing thinks that Skip, the gelding, and I get along really well. So we did our w/t/c thing (second canter was way better than the first canter lol and made me beam like a little kid), trotted over some trot poles and then my instructor decided that it was important that I didn't keep putting off jumping otherwise it would become a mental block.

Hence, she put up a 2' crossrail and I trotted Skip to it and....viola! We jumped it once both ways. Not only that, but I jumped it with a pretty solid position! Girls, I have to toot my own horn. I've always been a wreck at jumping (maybe why I got the brain injury in the first place lol?) but there wasn't any fear. I just knew Skip was going to go over it. We just trotted up to it, I sat and waited (which is totally a first), jumped it, cantered off. The instructor who admitted to me that she wasn't expecting me to do that well on my first jump back literally whooped and clapped. It was an amazing feeling. She said that I rode him him really well to the fence and gave him the right type of ride so Skip didn't just canter over it...but jumped it with square knees! yay!

I'm really proud of myself and can't wait to ride in my lesson tomorrow. I'll tell you all about how it goes! My leg is still looser than I'm used to it being (which is to be expected) but otherwise, my instructor says I'm really good so along as I'm aware to keep my hands still. She might even take me to a smaller hunter show for the pleasure class or a starter trial in July! I'm so excited.

Dobby, that's wonderful!! I'm so very excited for you! I think you should go to that little show, even if it's just to school. It's important to get out and do it, even if you have to do it by baby steps.

After my brain injury, I was "lucky" in that I got back on while I was still all funky in the head. So I had no fear. A friend had been riding my mare for me while I was gone, so she had gotten her used to working again, and I just got on one day and was fine. Of course, had I fallen, it would have had some devastating effects, but again with the funky in the head and not thinking clearly.

So I've not ridden at all this week. It's been nasty in the morning, and raining in the evening. Last night it was nice, but we decided to work on getting the pool back up and running. I did take Lucy on a walk down the street with my hubby, but that's the extent of my riding. Mir had a hard ride the last time I rode, so I wanted to give him some time off anyway, and Lucy was being super-touchy since I decided it would be smart to take her off the raspberry leaves, to make sure she needed them.

I did notice today that Mir is getting a bit of a topline. He's not longer super-withery with protruding shoulders while standing. It blends smoothly. Now if only he would widen through the chest and gain that extra inch in height that I know is coming, and then we can really work on getting him a nice muscular topline.

It is really all over. I just read "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" online...and now its all over. I just have to wait until the 30th for Eclipse to come out... withdrawls!!!!

BTW I did see the previews for Eclipse in IMAX when I saw Iron Man 2.... looks fantastic.

Dobby, congrats on jumping! This instructor sounds perfect for you.

Emily, I havent ridden in 2 weeks. And I cant ride even though Im home now b/c Laylas RF shoe is about to shake off. Farrier is coming late tomorrow though. Sounds like Lucy def needs the raspberry leaves if shes getting touchy without them. Layla did a round on them for a bit 1.5 yrs ago.

csa, I saw the pics earlier but now they arent showing up? Anyways, nice pics. Are you riding in a bareback pad? BTW I really liked your jumping pics.

Oh and Rex is outside with the herd right now... my pasture is super lush right now so Im going to lock him up in the pen for tonight as he hasnt been on real grass for a few weeks. Im sure hes going to love that.

KTM-Yep it is a bareback pad. I have given up on the saddle for a bit. It looks like it fit. Everyone else(trainer other horse people) said it looked like it fit. Cheese had a different opinion. She was good in it until you asked her to do any raised cavalitti with it. She would run out or trip over them. I learned the hard way before that this is her way of saying the saddle is not 100% fitting. Since I ditched the saddle she has been acting less stiff with each ride. So now I get to look for a trainer who is willing to teach me dressage in a bareback pad instead of a saddle. Some trainer get really freaked out by this.

I had to stop looking at the jumping pics. I started to nit pick every little detail about my position. Of I continued to look and analyze them I probably stop jumping and drill two point for a year.

I need your guys opinion on something. So I am really itching for a lesson. Besides the saddle issue there is the trainer issue. The last trainer I had a lesson with was great. Helped Cheese and I a lot. However her teaching style and my learning style did not mesh all the time. Sometimes she was great describing things others not to much which led to a bit of frustation for me. Now should I get a lesson with her again or look for another trainer.The lady really knows her stuff .So I am torn.

CSA, While you might have trouble finding a dressage trainer who is willing to teach in "unconventional" tack, I personally think it's very acceptable to ride in a bareback pad. Just not sure how many people would agree on that, especially those who make their livings teaching "dressage". But, if the saddle isn't fitting quite right, you have to do what you have to do. What did you used to have? Do you know where it wasn't fitting? Foam panels or wool panels? Is it in need of reflocking? Lucy doesn't do wool, so that could be an issue too. They all have their preferences.

As for the instructor, why not call and explain what you are hoping to get out of the lesson, as in tell her what you are having issues with, and then if something doesn't make sense, ASK. And if she cannot explain it in a way that you get, then post her explanation on here and we might be able to give you another way to think about it. Just make sure that if you don't understand what she's getting at, ask her. Not many good instructors are put off by you asking questions over something you don't understand, as long as you are tactful and can ask in such a way that they don't think you are questioning their training or not trying.

So I finally rode my two today. Lucy's left hind is bothering her a bit again. This is the leg that she cut the heel on several years back, and that's about when I noticed that she would start having a bit of trouble with that leg, and she rests it more than the other. I'm betting I am noticing it because I am making more of an effort to straighten her in the right lead canter instead of letting her put that weak outside leg under her to help support her weight in the moment what that's the only leg on the ground. It shows up only as an issue on the right lead canter, and only when I'm not letting her throw her haunches to the inside. She just tries to pick up the left lead instead. I'm thinking about putting her back on Grand HA again for a month and seeing if it helps. I think she also needs a different electrolyte, since she's wearing out easily like she did last summer. And I'm sure having POWER in our barn so she could have her fan back wouldn't hurt either.

Mir was decent, but he just doesn't think it's necessary to pay attention to me. Brat.

csa, I agree with Shiloh. Just tell the instructor that you were having a hard time understanding a few things last time and see if she can try a different approach.

Emily, hope Lucy is ok. Laylas right hock has the bone spavin but now that Im really paying attention to her weaknesses, it is actually the left hind that is the weaker of the two. BTW We use Apple A Day. I didnt think there was really much difference between electrolytes except the ones that have sugar and the ones that dont, but man, Ben who had anahydrosis 2 yrs ago hasnt stopped sweating and is a great drinker now and even Layla who OVER sweats is doing well. Mir must be going through a stint. They all do. He'll figure it out.

SOOOOoooooOooooOOOOoooo... I finally rode my horse tonight! We were going to go over to Jills this AM but my farrier came at 830 instead of 730 like he said. So by the time he was done, it was 11am and already too hot. When I went to feed dinner, it was lightening and light rain, so I gave up thinking I could ride. But when I came out at 8 to let them out, it was cool, breezy, no lightening, and still light! So I said what the heck!

She wasnt bad at all in the ride but was doing her normal suck back a bit, get crooked, not load evenly behind, etc. I have a tendancy to fuss with her too much when she does this but I thought about all the critiques and advice I give on here and the stuff I read and thought - why not follow my own advice?? When she fusses like that, PUSH HER FORWARD. Tada. Amazing how that works. Every time she would try to tilt her head and get crooked, I just drove her forward and tada, it went away. Go figure lol.

However, she was still blocked going to the left. Her right front is the one that is tight in the shoulder and doesnt extend out as much so of course in the left bend its having to stretch and its hard. So we were just doing a 20m circle and she was still tilting and hanging on the left rein and then boom - it almost felt like her stifle slipped but it didnt and she got so light and great feeling. I looked down thinking she was sucking back and totally dropped me but no guys! She was in full self carriage, straight but bent perfectly, and just felt like butter! Whatever it was that was locked became unlocked and off she went. I only kept that for like 5-6 strides and then let her walk as I knew it was hard for her esp with almost 2 weeks off.

So nice walk break and usually after a walk break, I have to spend another 5 mins getting the trot back we had before the break. But I didnt have to. It was there immediately. Just this amazing feeling of fluid and being in sync and just great. Figured Id play around with it for a moment and asked for the canter and got a lovely transition, 1/2 way up the "long" side in my field, 20m circle, trot transition on the long side *immediately* back to that same trot - no rushing, no losing balance like we always struggle with. I was like Okkkk.... change rein, she wasnt even trying to antisipate and take off or getting tense waiting for the canter... just trotting and I ask and again, wonderful transition, same 1/2 way up long side to 20m circle to transition on the long side and again, this is our weak way so she always loses her balance and will rush and get crooked but nope!

I wanted to finish up so I said what the heck.. just for fun... put her on the diagonal and pushed just a tiny bit and we actually had SOME lengthening without just speeding up. How do I know without mirrors? My horse was forging! I actually heard her hinds tap her fronts (and it was that hollow sound of hoof hitting up on a shoe, not her interfering and stepping down on her shoe). Regrouped, came across the other way, same thing. So I let her go into a stretchy circle which she always does well but tends to dump on the forehand a bit and doesnt keep her back up and the whole "frame" arched ya know and then speeds up and kind of loses the true bend... not today.

I am just floored at how great she was. I know she had her hocks done and I havent ridden much since then but I have ridden and while she was good, she wasnt this good. I started her on a different type of magnesium on Thursday. Its the 2nd most bio available magnesium (the most is crazy expensive) and Jill has had great results with her two mares on it. Its the only thing I can think of thats different.

So yes, Im on cloud 9. What an amazing ride. And it lasted all of 30 mins. This is why we do what we do. For moments like that.

Almost makes going to work tomorrow am bareable... almost.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Well Monday is over and work wasnt TOO bad. Nasty storm blew in around 445. Came home and it wasnt too bad anymore. Sarah came out around 745 and of course around 730 it started a steady rain. But it wasnt lightening or hot - so we rode! Got on around 815, went to the neighbors ring, both had FANTASTIC rides, and came home, soaking wet but not hot or tired! The only thing that was dry were my socks. lol

I have a rib out on the right side... other than that, not too bad. Gotta turn the ponys out and get to bed.

shiloh-I was using my passier. It has wool flocking. The flocking seems to be in good shape. I know I should have a saddle fitter out to double check. It looks to be bridging her back. When I looked at her show pad that I had used for a show there was a gap between the front and back part of the saddle. I just orderd a barrel pad that may help. I am trying to save for an Ansur.

Poor Lucy. Mares and their old injuries.

KTM-Some of the best trail rides I remember happened in the pouring down rain. If the footing isn't bad why not?

Past few rides have been good. I had Hubby take video but that only lasted a few min. Than he was whining it was to hot. If I ever put them on youtube I'll share them. My sitting trot is awful. I just tense up my arms.Cheese was a bit of a pain about forward and I actually really should have had a dressage whip.

Dobby &3Day-Have either you heard of Lori Smith?

So I decided to do some conditioning work today. It was only in the 70s. So the weather was great for it. Poor Cheese is so out of shape. Three gallop set and she was tired. She felt great though.