Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

CSA, it's somewhat normal for the pad to be less dirty in the middle of the panels than at the back and the front. That's because the back of the saddle moves side to side, and the front has the shoulders moving right up against it. Have you girthed up the saddle and stuck your hand up against the middle? When she's standing normally, it should bridge just slightly. If it's tight against her back when she's just standing there, she's not going to have any room to lift her back. I have learned that lesson the hard way.

The problem I tend to have with saddles with Lucy is that she's built a little bit downhill, and most saddles seem to be built for uphill horses. So if I have a saddle that sits level, has "good" wither clearance, etc, it's actually too narrow through the tree for her. I have to fit it wider, and then shim the front so that it sits just a hair low in the cantle. When I sit in it and my padding squishes a hair, then it's truly level. With the front-riser I have now, I only had the thick set of shims in. Today I added the thin set too, and suddenly our work is a lot better, and she's nailing the c-w transitions. But when I have had a medium-tree Passier on her, it *looks* like it fits, but it so doesn't. Just an idea.

Speaking of Miss Lucy, I rode early this morning, like around 7:30. She was full of herself, putting her tongue over the bit, but her work was pretty correct. We did some decent SI to HP in the trot, and then got some nice canter where I could collect her down a lot for 1/4 circle, and then let her go back forward into a slightly collected canter for a bit, then back down to the almost pirouette canter, and back forward. I wish I could try a Myler bit on her, but she needs a 4.75", single-barrel mullen, with eggbutt cheeks. She doesn't like a D, and all I can find in the right mouthpiece is a D. Plus I don't have $100 to try a bit she might not like. Just thinking the Myler mullen would give her more room for her tongue, since she is apparently convinces that it doesn't fit under the bit.

Mir was decent. As in, I got the canter without any leaping bucks. He thought about it, but decided not to. I think with him the trick is going to be to go in and put him right to work in the trot and canter. Lucy needs a longer walking warmup, and she does best if I do some suppling exercises in the walk, and with Mir that just seems to encourage him to ignore me. The walk is not exciting enough for him.

Emily, Myler has the bit rental program so you can use bits before you buy them. And Layla has a 4.25" mouth but I have the 5" Myler wide barrel comfort snaffle (dressage legal) and with the way it is shaped, it is not too long and doesnt hit the back teeth. Any other bits that I have used in the past that were 5" would rub her teeth so I have always had to use 4.5" or 4.75". This bit has been a God send. I only probably over 50 bits b/c I have had to try so many different kinds for Layla as she is super sensitive. This bit has the feeling of a mullen but still has the lateral control b/c it spins inside the barrel.

Here is a place that does the bit rental and it is $5 plus shipping for 7 days. If you like it, you can keep it and they will take the $5 from the total cost of the bit. If not, just return it. This is the page for the eggbutts. The first one is the one that is dressage legal.

http://65.61.36.244/merchant2/merchant.mvc..._Code=MEWNH-RAB

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Huh, I didn't know that existed. I'm going to try her in her OLD bit again, and if that doesn't keep the tongue BEHIND the bit, while not making the head-tossing stuff bad. She's never been one to like contact.

Got the pastures mowed, round pen reassembled, and rode my horse. I waited until 8pm and it was STILL hot. Ugh but better. Layla was good and we had some nice moments. Not as great as last week but it was hotter and I put her in her new bridle but I think I need to put the bit up one more hole.

Anyways, got Randy to video so I could try to get our bpm for a possible freestyle. It wasnt VERY successful as Randy was being attacked by the gnats so the camera was shaking all over the place. I did manage to snag a few pics though. Ugh about my hands.... they felt better but today I fussed with her too much and it shows.

Few pics...

Warm up

0628103.jpg

0628109.jpg

She asked, so I said ok

0628107.jpg

?berstreichen - releasing the inside rein

06281010.jpg

062812.jpg

See! If I dont stare at her head, it DOES fall off - rofl - jk but at least I am looking up

06281019.jpg

Yes we had a few moments of deep - sue me! lol

0628106.jpg

Theres a lot to be desired in this pic however I really love the fact that her neck is coming UP out of her withers and shes IFV

0628102.jpg

Ok... hopefully I am tired enough to get SOME sleep. Its 1:50 and I have to get up at 6am for work. And on a side note, Im 98% positive that I had another ovarian cyst rupture on Friday and all day today Ive been having off and on sharp pains on the right side. And right now, its an ON sharp pain and its getting worse. Oh the joys of being a woman.

Shantel, you are wearing a helmet!!! I'm so very proud! Your head will thank you :)

Layla looks good, but don't worry about that amount of deep. Some deeper riding is good for them, you just don't pull their nose to their chest, and you don't keep it up for long periods of time. Variety in head and neck position helps with flexibility and strength. Plus, it is great for your training if you can put their nose wherever you want it. Same goes for the hind end of course. I'm working on that with Lucy and Mir right now, placing each hoof where I want it. Easier said than done! I'm still at "place hind end where I want in relation to shoulders" and vice versa. Not to each hoof yet!

So I had a bit of a mental ah-ha moment with Lucy on Saturday. I managed to get her really collected in both trot and canter, but in the trot, her withers were up, and her neck was arching out of her shoulders nicely, and I could shorten my reins, keep my elbows bent, and put my hands right on either side of her neck, a bit above withers, and just ride like that, softly. It was the first time she's ever given me a trot that nice and collected where I could do that. She needs to go back to the chiro though. She was picking up the wrong lead on the lunge line today, going right. It took me a bit to get her on that right lead, and that's not normal for her. Now to locate $150...

Emily, yes I wear a helmet every time now and have been since some time early last year. However, this helmet is VERY hot and after this ride I felt very dizzy and shakey. I am going to purchase like a $30 Troxel that is light and has vents to use at home when its hot like that.

When we first introduced deep work last year, it was a little tough to get her there and honestly through. But now its quite easy. As far as the hind end and the hooves, fortunately (or unfortunately) Layla is very sensitive to "positioning" aids, meaning that I can put her in whatever position I need to, though she may resist if its hard, but I can control her whole body thankfully. I really got the feeling of controling the hindend like 2 years ago when I started doing TOH and then small puriettes (I totally killed that word but at work so no time to spell check) and really got a sense of what to do/feel to control the hind end. Again, she can handle the lateral work ALL day long its just the true collection and sit that she struggles with as shes just not built for it.

Great deal with Lucy! Dont you love moments like that? I had that last Sunday that I posted about. I was hoping for another great ride like that last night for the video but of course if theres a witness, no dice!

Anyways, lunch time.

KTM-Lovely pics. Like Shiloh said about te deep. It is not like you had her nose to her chest for a long time. I love it when everyone else puts pics up. It helps me to educate my eye. That way I can look at pics of Cheese and I and know what I am looking at/for.

shiloh-I love the Ah-ha rides. Then I usually turn around and wonder why I didn't try that before.lol

I had an awesome ride with Cheese Sun.I had decided to take our western work back to a snaffle and start to teach her to spin. Just something new to spice up training. I was to lazy to switch out her Oring to the western tack. Well Cheese was fantastic. I kept switching between a little bit of dressage work and introducing the spin. So I think I may switch bits for a bit. It probably means I have gotten sloppy with my hands or to much tension in the arms. I am trying to set a lesson up with a new trainer who also does jumping. If she doesn't work out I am going back to the trainer I used last.

I didn't get to do to much work wioth Cheese today. Hubby decided to ride her. After the initial 15 min of Cheese saying I am not leaving her, hubby and Cheese did pretty good. There were a couple of times Cheese went on the bit for him even though he wasn't really asking her to.Afterward I got on and tried to do some work but the ring was to dusty. We need to get a bit of rain.

What kind of helmet is that? I have an IRH ATH SSV that is very cool. I just personally can't stand how the Troxels fit me, and how there is no padding on the inside. So that's why I went with something else.

I do think a lot of Lucy's good rides have been from the ProLite pad. It gives my saddle the perfect amount of lift, and it floats on her back a little more. The funny thing is I was talking to a friend who tried a saddle that had the panels lined in ProLite, and her late horse LOVED it. She said it was the best he ever moved. And then he passed away a couple weeks later, before she could get the size she really needed. So anyway, I am now a big fan of the ProLite pads. SOOOOOO much better than ThinLine!

It is just the basic ATH helmet but even though it says it has vents and its cooling, it isnt THAT cooler and its quite heavy compared to other helmets. I had Troxels in the past and they fit me well. This is my helmet (http://www.irhhelmets.com/ATH-IRH-Riding-Helmet-ID-5.html)

csa, great to hear about the good rides. And thats so cool your hubby will ride.

Didnt get off of work until 545! Then Walgreens was out of my BC pills so I had to have the Walgreens near my work fill it so I had to wait around for 20 mins and then drive towards my house and pick up my rx at THAT Welgreens that was already ready. Get home, feed ponys, feed myself, let ponys out, clean the barn and prep for tomorrow. I could barely sleep last night b/c of the pain in my side. So I am functioning on like 3 hours of sleep and today was crazy busy at work. I will say that Wellbutrin and Zyrtec-D def give you "go"! I "want" to feel tired but even still, Im going going going. Im only tired now b/c the muscle relaxers are kicking in.

Anyone know where Boo is? Summer vaca? Just hope everything is ok with the ponys and their whole situation.

:questionicon:

From Prolites website:

"Prolite disperses pressure points over a wider area ? relieving continuous pressure that can cause niggling irritation followed by deeper bruising."

I know that niggling has a proper definition of "nagging or being annoying" but seriously, could they not have used a different word?

It's a British brand, and they use different words there than we do here. My British friend, who has been in the US for 10 years now, still says she will "put it in the post" rather than "mail it". But seriously, the pad is awesome, regardless of their choice of wording.

The old ATH helmets have a totally different vent style than the new ones with the stainless vents. There is actually a gap in the foam in the new ones, and the vent lets out a lot of heat. I love it because it's very lightweight, cool, and it is cute to show in.

Lunged Lucy yesterday, and she kept trying to pick up her left lead going right. Time to go back to the chiro. At least the adjustments seem to have held for a year!

well I got my new(to me) dressage saddle today!! [Yay] its beautiful!! stubben vsd,wonderfully care'd for! I have a couple of questions about the older saddles...like ok its I think they call if Ebony?it's not black(more like brown) Does anybody still show in the color or should I have it dyed? or will it hurt its value? 2nd?> leathers what color to get brown looks weird and so does black? (course if it's dyed it would be black) last question..I have a New "dressage" girth for my other dressage saddle which I'm going to sell(cause its brown and ugly) But the old Stubben has shorter Billets,so do I go with a All purpose shaped leather,or get a longer dressage? I noticed that they have came out w/ leather "Shaped' in Black which would be better? thanks guys!! looks for Pix when I get it all together!!OH and what are these little loops for?(crupper maybe)? [Question]

Edited by GlowingTrickPony

Emily, I know they are from over the pond, but I was just poking at the term as caught me off guard.

Mine is just the older type I guess. I got it 2 yrs ago. I def need one that actually VENTS. This has vents on the front but its just for looks, it doesnt open to the actual head. Hope you can get Lucy sorted out. Do you know how to get her to adjust herself? I get Layla to adjust her sacrum, neck, and lower back herself with some stretches, etc.

Had our monthly GMO meeting tonight. Discussed a bunch of stuff - and by the way - USDF 2010 Dressage Convention/Symposium is here in JACKSONVILLE. You guys gotta come and stop by and say hello and watch some great dressage.

10pm already and 530 comes early.. night.

OMG.

Went to see Eclipse at the IMAX theater tonight.

Amazing. Simply Amazing.

I cant wait to see it again. Totally followed the book & everything in the movie was just how I imagined it when I read the book.

And of course Jacob, Edward, Emitt, Jasper, etc etc etc.

No idea how to get Lucy to adjust herself. I can get her to do stretches, but she's never popped anything when I am stretching her.

She did seem a bit better the other day when I rode her. She struggled getting the right lead at first, but then later in the (very short) ride she picked it up beautifully, and then went into a lovely HP right. My boarder stopped to watch and said it looked very nice. I let her quit on that. So I'm going to keep going with her. It might be a strength issue since I have been really trying to keep her straight instead of letting her throw her haunches to the inside to pick up that lead. After my last ride, I am leaning toward that being the issue. And if I come up with the money to take her to the chiro I will.

Shantel, my IRH is a new model that only came out at the end of last year. SP carries it. If you buy on July 10, they are doing some percent off as national helmet appreciation day or something.

I think Im just going to get like a Troxel or something thats like $30 just for the summer schooling.

You know how you palpate the back and the hips/sacrum area to see if they are sore? And do you know how to do the cat back stretches?

With Layla, I do the carrot stretches first to the point of the shoulder (near the chest) on the left and right, that will adjust anything thats out in the upper neck. Then I have her go low to the flank and then up to the point of the hip and that will adjust anything in the mid to lower neck. If I stand facing her hip, parallel to her body, I will place my left hand on top of the point of the sacrum, flat, and then reach across to the other side and use my fingers to press to get her to lower that far hip and tip her pelvis towards me (with Layla, she is used to this, so I only have to use my fingers. Other horses may not be as sensitive, like Ben, and you can either use your finger nail or a hoof pick). If her sacrum/hip area is out, I will feel it move under the hand that is flat on her. Then I switch sides and do the same thing. Also running your nails down from the wither towards the hip, about 3-4" away from the spine, which makes them contract the back and tighten it, then follow it up with belly lifts to stertch the back the other way. You can also stand behind them (or off to the side if you arent sure how she will react) and at the same time, press on the top of the hindquarters, like you did with the sacrum adjustment, get them to lower/flex the pelvis. Then go back towards the tail about 4" and do it again, and keep doing this all the way back. Gets them to arch the back and stretch it and it will also adjust. It doesnt get EVERYTHING but as long as the muscles arent in a spasm and relatively loose, it will allow the body to adjust itself.

In the past, when her lower back/sacrum area would be in spasm, my holstic vet would first do accupuncture with the tens unit to get the muscles to releash and then 90% of the time can then get the adjustment doing as I mentioned above. Rarely does she have to get up on a hay bale or something and adjust with the downward movement.

The pelvis/sacrum/hip move is also good to see if she is locked up anywhere. If she can tip her pelvis one direction but not the other, then you know the canter issues are due to her being out.

BTW - I do these stretches at least 3-5 times a week with her to keep her loose and flexible, esp since her right side is the tight side. It took a while of us doing them to get her muscles to the point that they werent so tight as to not let the body adjust itself. Ive had her at one point get so loose in her back that when I did the cat back stretch (making them arch the back) she had like the whole lower back adjust, pop pop pop pop. Great stuff.

Another day on it barely being 80 with a really nice breeze with light on and off rain. Was going to ride but Randy got some time off and wants to go to dinner with our friends and watch fireworks so we will see.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Well I was able to ride. Sarah came over. Went next door to ride in neighbors ring. Donned my spurs this time.

Layla was moving out, on the buckle, clear 4 beat walk on the way over to the arena, and kept it as we warmed up. I was doing 10m circles at every letter in the walk and actually was having NO problems with it (we were struggling with following through with the hind end, esp in the 2nd half of the circle at the trot on Friday).

Stretch in the walk before picking up the trot - shes realllllllly forward but listening, not tense. After going around once and a few 20m circles, start asking her to come together, getting a really lofty trot, 20m circles are going well, slight tilt to the left, easily corrected.

Did some 10m circles posting, maybe more like 12m, decent. Start sitting, and doing the 10m circles at each letter. Started this going to the right, the easier way, really really good. Across the short diagonal, doing the 10m's to the left. One area of slight tilting but again, easily corrected. Everything is just really flowing nicely.

Doing our last 2 circles and coming out of the one at A, I thought she was pooping b/c I felt her back really come up. Look.... nope. Still feels like it..still no poo. She was just really lifting her back and working from behind. Last 10m circle was easy as pie. Stretchy trot after all of that - taking the bit, keeping contact, low stretch.

Good break as that was a lot of work - pick up the canter - whoa nelly. Its like full body wave - shes just loose everywhere and pushing and using her whole back. Im laughing and hooting and having a blast. Do a lengthening - WHOA. Sarah was like You guys look amazing! Simple change across the diagonal was perfect - same canter to the right.

Im telling Sarah she has to get on to feel it. So Sarah gets on and even at the trot shes like wow she has so much more push and substance. Canters and shes laughing and hooting too - shes like OMG MY ABS! Layla looked fan-freaking-tastic.

Even the walk home, on the buckle, swinging 4 beat walk. Just amazing.

Loving this new magnesium supplement. Loving my "new" horse. This is the best and most correct I have felt her in a LONG time, if ever.

Now to keep it when we go to a show!

What new supplement is this?

I do some stretches with Lucy, but she rarely pops anything. I did get one pop down in her neck today, btu that's not going to cause the canter issue. I will try with the pelvis tomorrow, though knowing her I doubt she will do a whole lot. I need to get her in to the chiro. Just gotta figure out bills first...

Mir was very nice today. I didn't canter since my pasture is wet, but he really stretched down nicely at the trot. I think he has finally figured out that it feels good. My head-lowering work and the ProLite pad must be helping.

Lucy is getting time off until I can get her into the chiro. It's not fair to make her work when she's obviously out of whack.

But the good news is that our pool is fixed! It has water and everything. I got all the trim screwed back in, which took a hammer and some fence wire in a couple sport, but it's all there. Now if only we could figure out why the pump doesn't work...

Not much to update here.

Got some super changes out of the R-man this last lesson- slowly working our way to showing 3rd!

Mor is still sound and still being herself! Had a friend ride her last week, and she was just as difficult for her as for me, so I don't feel so bad, haha.

Ben scraped up his hock and it swelled up, so he's had some days off, but hopefully I'm still planning to do Training 3 and 4 at a schooling show next weekend.

Had a good break and went to the mountains with the guy friend for a few days, I can post pics if you want to see some pretty scenery from the NC mountains! Where they filmed Last of the Mohicans and Dirty Dancing.

http://www.performanceequineusa.com/dimgansiummalate.aspx

Its the 2nd most bio available magnesium (the most bio available is uber expensive).

Say if you feed magnesium oxide, at 10g, after the binding agents and all, only about 5-6g of it is actually magnesium. And of that 5-6g, only about 2-3 actually is utilized by the body.

I can def tell a difference. I have had Layla on magnesium oxide before (10g daily) and while it helped, it wasnt enough to keep her on it. She is currently on 20g a day now. Just bumped it up on Wednesday. The nice thing about this type of magnesium is that you are getting more bang for your buck as the body is able to utilize more of it. You just have to watch the manure to make sure its not messing them up and causing them to be too loose.

I cant remember the exact convo but basically the average horse needs around 20g total magnesium just as a pasture pet. Put them into work, esp when they are sweating a lot and with those horses who get tense and burn through the magnesium more (think muscle usage), they obviously need more to replace the stuff that was used.

Jill bought some of the human stuff and was taking it herself. That woman is CONSTANTLY going (no wonder shes stick thin and has a 6 pack of abs!) and as a result, always sore/achey. After she started taking the magnesium malate, she said that she no longer had any aches and felt awesome.

Alyse, saw your pics. Loved them. I was wondering where you guys went. That is really a beautiful place. Hope Rem is better soon. Cant wait to see pics of you guys at the show and hopefully some of Riley soon too.

Emily, jealous of the pool. Though it has been really pleasant here since Friday.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

I've been using epsom salts for a while with Lucy, and that helps a ton. MagOx never did anything for her, at all, even on a double dose. The mare magic seems to help a lot too, she's not as touchy at that time of the month.

It's been raining here for a week, almost all day, every day. Lucy's shelter is flooded, my barn is flooded, my chicken pen is shoe-sucking mud, it's absurd. It needs to slow down a little bit.

shiloh-I agree with Dobby. we will take the rain. It is hot and humid and eveything is slowly dying. Hlaf our lawn is brown. A pool sounds fantastic.

KTS-Yes pics please. I don't get to travel much(none at all). So I love to look at pretty scenery pics. Glad to hear all the horses are sopund. Good luck at the show,

KTM-I may have to look at the human stuff. At least I could use something until the end of Aug. Work has been killing me. Most days I leave work with tired stiff muscles.

So the one assit. manader at work has some horses and minis at her parents place. She invited my sister and me to go ride sometime. She also said we could go down and mess with the horses anytime we wanted. She has a greenie that I may play with a bit. I am kind of missing messing around with the greenies. Sometimes I wish I could afford a second horse to train up and sell. however with the market being what it is, that is just not in the budget right now.

Hubby has wussed out of riding because of the heat. My niece was over yeaterday riding. We are working on steering. it doesn't help that Cheese will just turn around any cone or barrel. She knows what I want to dao and just does it even if the kid doesn't ask. Hard to teach my niece.

I LOVE LAST OF THE MOHICANS.

That just made your trip, Alyse, that much cooler. I dork out over that movie.

HAHA! That's why we had to go!! One of our first hang outs was watching last of the Mohicans.

On top of Chimney Rock

DSCN0161.jpg

Waterfall used in Mohicans

DSCN0167.jpg

Chimney Rock in background

DSCN0165.jpg

Hi all. Still plugging along here with school and all that fun! The weather has turned nasty; as I believe it also has for most of you. My classes are in the afternoons, so I get up early and let the horses out early and do stalls, then put them in when I leave for class. Then evenings, more turnout, finish chores, and ride.

Beckham is making his second level debut this weekend. One of my judges is Charlotte Trentelman. Shiloh and Shantel...haven't you shown under her? Was she good?

Stay cool everyone...I have to watch more online lectures to watch before hematology lab tomorrow.

LOVE Charolette. Shes a very fair judge who knows how to use the entire scoring system. Shes constructive but doesnt inflate your scores. You have a really good idea of where you truly are with her. At least that has been my experience. GOOD LUCK! :)

Thanks! I don't recall having seen her judge around here before...is she from your area?

We haven't been to any shows yet this year; I have been so busy with school. I also started with a new trainer about a month ago. She really thinks I should be doing 2-4; but since we haven't been anywhere in a while, I don't think my nerves can handle more then 2-1! He is doing some nice third level work too. This winter we will be ready to really tackle those changes!

I've not shown under Charlotte, but I've ridden with her in clinics. She's wonderful. She's very personable, but still works you hard. Poor Lucy is always exhausted after riding with her, but I have always gotten SO MUCH from it. She's the type who doesn't hand you compliments just for fun, but she's not overly harsh either.

She's based out of the Ocala area, and she does a lot of driving now.

Finally got to swim in our pool for a bit today. It was cold, but it was nice just to be able to lay there in my own pool. Of course now it's raining and such again.

Also figured out why the power in my barn no longer works. Moron I bought the house from spliced two sections of wire together underground, using just a plain-old junction box. AKA, it isn't waterproof. So tons of rain + not-waterproof wiring = wire shorting out into the ground and tripping the breaker. So we have to either spend $300 or so on new wire, plus route it to a pole that's not currently active, and then have the power company activate that pole, or we have to dig around and find where he spliced it, which is "somewhere around the tree", and fix the splice correctly.