Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

First cutting O/A is finally here. YAY. I love the smell of fresh O/A. The horses do too, though they only got 1/2 flake each until I can switch them back onto it as they have been on coastal for about a month. I dont think a lot of people really appreciate their access to hay. Up north, its just there, all the time. Cheap. Down here, its an act of congress to get good quaility, nutritious hay! And its expensive (well comparitively) at anywhere from $12-16 a bale! But its worth it.

Tomorrow we have a BBQ for our GMO to celebrate our Spring Series Awards winners (and somehow with the 3 WORST scores EVER literally) I got reserve! lol A lot of people did not show in Jan and Feb and you have to have 3 scores, one of the highest test, from 2 of the 3 shows, so there were only 3 people who qualified for spring series AA 1st level. How embarrassing though! I think my average was like 57!

Boo, any new pics of Bobby so we can see how much hes grown???

Alyse, did they use the testers on his actual heels (like hoof heels you mean?). If you mean the heels on the hoof, Layla used to be super sore on her right front heels b/c her hoof was very soft and flexible and it just had no support and got easily "bruised" for a lack of better words. What is the next step to find out what it is?

Emily, Ill let ya know. Even 2 weeks of not being able to clean the barn is stressful to think about. Hopefully this Dr will run blood work, hormone tests, etc before surgery. I know I get to have an external and internal ultrasound again. Yay. Not.

Had the horses out on the house side of the property with the back fence that is shared with my neighbor who has horses. Well, the medium white pony was turned out and well, Rex wasnt quite sure what to do about it. Here he is showing his surprise...

IMG_1250a.jpg

Then he spotted me taking his picture and decided that mommy would save him...

IMG_1252a.jpg

So cute. The picture I have of him standing next to me, a full hand taller, snorting, is SO not flattering (he looks like a moose!) and therefore is not being posted! : :winking:

KTM-You tell us about the pic and not share it. So not fair.

Boocoo-Fingers crossed that the lady buys Beau. Any new Bobby pics?

shiloh-I found some stuff of the endotap. Interesting Something I may try when it gets more towards winter. I know Cheese will get stuck in the first two phases for at least an hour. I am afraid I'll get to frustrated in the heat and just quit.

KTS-Sorry to hear about Riley. You have no luck, do you?

Busy week. I took Cheese to a western pleasure show. The one with the theraputic division that is open to western and english. The mare was great for my niece in the two leadline classes. Schooled ok for me. The division consists of an eq, a pleasure, and a trail class. Well for the two ring classes Cheese was crazy. Judge said if it had beenanyone else and she would have pulled them to the center of the ring. The judge complimented my seat and overall eq and said she knew I was ok with the mare acting up. For the trail class Cheese was a saint. She did not do a thing wrong. I screwed up the mailbox by going to the wrong side.Get the mare to focus on something and she is a dream. Oh well. I have a lesson this week. I am kind of hoping Cheese is still bad. I can see how the new trainer will deal with her on a bad day.

I need to get some updated photos of Bobby. Will have to do that and get them posted. He has really shot up.

Hauled Beau over there Saturday so that lady and her trainer could ride him. He was fine for her and did pretty good for the trainer. They want to ride him some more, but she is going on vacation for a while. Her trainer was a bit concerned that he is too much horse for her. So don't know if they will follow through or not. On a good note, I love the way the trainer rode him. I got on him this a.m. and had the best ride I have had in a long time. He was really connected and through and working over his back. I was so impressed I called her and scheduled a lesson for next week and want her to ride him as well. It's a bit of haul, but might be worth it to get him really working good in order to sell him.

Went out to feed this am. and Bobby and Eddy had walked through the electric fence. Apparently the new electric box was not working. Got Bobby back in the paddock, but could not catch Eddy, the little stinker. Man can he run. So I left him for a while and finally bribed him with a bucket of grain a while later. Argh!!!!!

Quick update before feeding:

Had my appt with the reproductive endocrinologist today. Long story short, believes I have endometriosis even though I had been told I dont. You cannot make that diagnosis via ultrasound; you have to do it via surgery. Everything sounds like just classic symptoms though. He did a quick internal ultrasound (Eek! my first with a guy dr!) Like last year when I had one, he could not locate my left ovary. He think its may be stuck to another organ due to the adhesins caused by the endo. Also wants me to stay on my birth control 24/7 with no sugar pills to allow everything to just calm down in there and eventually not menstrate which is 100% completely safe and normal and does not increase your chance of not having a kid (he IS a fertility Dr).

So surgery should be at the end of Aug/early Sept. Quick out patient surgery, no sutures, etc. Only about 1 week off of riding and surgery on Wed and back to work Monday.

Off to feed - its freaking 100 without the index! GAH!

Left at 6am to head down to Tampa with 3 girls from work to go to Busch Gardens. After stopping to eat breakfast at Dennys, we got there at 10am. We did not leave until 10pm! We rode the Sheikra 3 times (200 ft up & 90 degrees straight down), Montu (one of the longest coasters in the US and always in the travel channels top 10 coasters) 4 times, and basically everything except Tidal wave and Rhino Rally. We also purchased $30 all you can eat/drink passes and we DEF got our monies worth with that too. Chicken, pizza, fries, fruit, cookies, brownies, etc etc. Was a little warm in the AM and within 2-3 hours it was cooling off b/c rain was moving in but it was never pouring or lightning and the rides shut down for like 15 mins like 3 times. Afterwards it was low 80s with a nice coolness to the air from the rain with no hot humidity. Basically the trip totally exceeded my expectations for a theme park vaca in the middle of July in Florida! Cant wait to do it again... now that Ive showered it is time fo rbed. I have a lesson for the first time in 1.5 yrs at 930!

KTM-Sounds like a tiring but very fun day. I love coasters but tend to favor the old wooden ones. I hope you are enjoying your lesson.

Boocoo-Still waiting for pics......

Had a great lesson Wed. Cheese was a bit spooky. A bird had flown out from the roof of the covered arena right in front of us. Cheese dicided that half of the arena was scary from then on. TRainer just laughed. She had me bend and soften Cheese up and then get Cheese listening to again. Than it was back to work. Cheese was nice and relaxed and starting to round up. We worked on leg yeilding. I found out I was using to much leg. We had some really nice moments in the lesson. The best part was the end. I had a horse who wasn't stressed out. Trainer suggested a jumping lesson next time if it wasn't to hot. It should be interesting. For the first time in over a year I am excited about a lesson.

My niece's Bday is Mon. I am trying to figure out how to decorate a cake with Beauty and the Beast. I tried gumpaste. To frustrating especially with the humidity. I have to switch to fondatnt or something else.

We rode the Gwazi which is the double wooden coaster. Its crazy fast esp for a wooden but really REALLY beats you up. I usually love the wooden ones too but right now, the muscle directly on the side of my neck that comes up and attaches under your jaw is swollen/sore from trying to hold my head still for it.

Lesson was AWESOME. Pics later....

Yeah, Gwazi sucks big-time. You get off that thing feeling like you need a visit to the chiro. I rode it twice. Of course, I can't ride those things anymore or I have seizures, get dizzy, and end up talking like a 5-yo.

So finally home from the sucky visit to the hospital for testing, though they figured out what they needed to figure out so I guess it was a success. Just only got 4 hours of sleep a night, if that, and they came and flashed strobe lights at my a couple times a day.

So maybe tomorrow I will get back on the ponies. Lucy is losing topline from not being worked (and because she's 19 and had several babies). Hopefully Mir has had some time for his muscles to relax some from the bad saddle though.

CSA I have hubbies nice camera home from work, so will be sure to get some pics. Took both boys to get shod and trimmed this a.m. Got the electric fence fixed after Bobby jumped the bottom fence, yes I said jumped, [shocked] the other day. The horse flies were chasing him into a run and he wanted back up by Beau, so he just sailed over the freakin fence. Not a mark on him. We had a little come to Jesus meeting about that and I made sure he understood he is a dressage horse, not a hunter/jumper. Now the fence is fixed, he got zapped and he wont' go near it anymore! Thank God! My shoer also explained to him this a.m. that he is a dressage horse, not a jumper!!!!!

Is that what it is? They like to give us heart attacks? Argh! I am too old for this! [Crazy]

I did have a super nice ride on Beau this evening. Forget trying to do any walk work though. The stinkin horse flies are just atrocious.

Annie has been known to jump out of the pasture as well. She does it in the winter, when the grass is literally greener on the other side of the fence, and usually in her blanket. She's not yet gotten caught up. We did put up a higher fence on one section, and once it cools off some (and we finish with some other more pressing projects), the electric fence is getting fixed. Plus I have access to a pasture that they are not using right now, I just have to fix the fence in the back. It needs to be brushhogged though, so not too sure how realistic that will be. If I knew who owned the pasture next to my in-laws, I would look into renting it for a few months too. It's very big, lots of grass, but no idea who owns it. I know the guy doesn't live in the immediate area, and he used to lease it out for cattle, but it's not been used in almost 2 years.

OMG! The horse flies here are the worst I think I have ever seen! We have very active upward transitions these days because he just wants to go from the flies! I am glad I am not the only one fighting with them...misery loves company:-)

Shiloh, can't you check the county records to see who owns that property?

Beckham, I have never seen horse flies so bad in my life. UNREAL! And it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is. As soon as I have a horse anywhere within 50 ft. of my arena, they come out in droves. Bobby is more patient than Beau. Beau literally growls he gets so mad at them. I rode again tonight and again, forget any walk work, we have to get going or they just drive him bonkers. It was a really nice ride though.

Our horse flies were SUPER bad about 1-2 months ago. And the green bombers! At dusk and dawn they would litterally circle me and the horses!

Still having a lot of pain so I called my Dr and they moved my surgery to Sept 1 instead of the 24th. Hopefully this will get rid of the pain. If not... ugh.

Rode Layla last night as today was 110 heat index & storms in the afternoon. She was good. My trainer is not a fan of the mylar comfort snaffle I had her in and wanted me to try my old bit and also put her back in my crank as the new bridle was allowing her to open her mouth so she could fix her jaw and fake being on the bit.

She wasnt too happy about the new set of rules but after complaining and me just being quiet and doing transitions and waiting for her, she gave it and gave me really great work. It is so nice to figure out that 1) my lower back was hurting b/c I was sitting incorrectly for the sitting trot and 2) the reason her trot didnt feel/look like a bigger trot was again because I was sitting incorrectly. Now that I am sitting right, the trot is more... "bouncey" but in a good way and I can half halt just from my seat and she responds perfectly. And as soon as I let go and swing a little in my back, her stride opens up so much and feels so awesome. YAY.

Lightning like crazy and was about to pour so when I got home, I RAN to the barn, closed all the windows, secured my tarp down so the rain wouldnt go in my hay stall, and let all 3 of the horses out to hopefully pee before I fed them.

Well as soon as they were all out, they kind of formed a triangle with their rears and all peed AT THE SAME TIME. It was fantastic. Love this routine I have them in right now. So they are inside eating dinner and their hay while this storm does whatever it is doing.

TIme to relax - busy week esp with some of the things that are going on at work (nothing involving me but anyways) and Ive been helping out a lot up front. However, I am now in charge of the newsletter and my boss wanted to make sure I was with the other two girls up front when asking about what radio stations to advertise on. So at least for right now, Im in the "spotlight" and seen as "important" other than my normal job. If that makes sense. Im not unimportant but Im a little more now. haha anyways..

Ugh, wish I had better news to update, but Riley has, we think, injured his proximal sesmoidial ligaments. I think that's what it's called. Basically runs down and attaches to the pastern bone. You can see on xray a roughening on the bone where the ligament has torn it away. Poor lad. He's back on "play pen" rest, and I have to treat it like a suspensory.

Ben is doing good, Amore is doing good.

I'm getting away for the weekend. The guy and I are escaping to the mountains for a much deserved three days of swimming, hiking, fishing, and sleeping. Not a horse in sight. Unless we can't resist and go watch the A hunter show going on. We can't really get away from it, even if you sometimes want to. As long as it's not OUR barn and OUR horses with OUR drama, it's a vacation!

A vacation...what is that?? Have a good time KTS!

It finally cooled down a ton tonight and the horse flies weren't as bad and had a nice ride:-)

This summer is flying by being so busy with school. etc!

Watching SYTYCD with the DH tonight!

Alyse, that really sucks. How long will he be on rest? I hope he heals quickly. But that is great that Amore and Ben are doing well.

Beck, LOVE SYTYCD! I was happy with todays results though one of them I really liked but he just wasnt that good in actual dance. My fav is Robert & Lauren. I also like Adechike but I dont know if he has the fan base to win. I wish Alex was still in it - I think he would have won.

After my last post earlier, my sides starting killing me - it felt like someone had been punching me in the kidneys and then had me in a vice and it was squeezing my ribs. My mom brought me one of those fabric things with I think its sand or something in it and you heat it up in the microwave. It did help but I was trying to nap and I was getting dizzy and when I tried to sleep, I felt like I was a breakdancer and I was on my head spinning around. Then Id wake up sick to my stomach. Im not dizzy now and the pain is a lot less but it comes in waves. I am praying that this surgery gets rid of all this. [surrender]

Going to bed and Im sleepin in! Night

Shantel, why didn't your new trainer like the Myler?

So my Bates Event saddle has a crack in the tree. It's less than 6 years old. Bates/Wintec/Weatherbeeta WILL NOT talk to customers, and of the one return email I have received from a tack shop, I have been told that saddle makers only honor the warranty if you purchased the saddle new. WONDERFUL. This will be the last time I buy or recommend a Wintec or Bates. And once this one is fixed, I'm planning to sell it and buy something else for Mir. It doesn't fit him as well as I would like anyway, and I'm not so cool with owning a saddle less than 6 years old, that cost $2k new, with a crack in the tree, that the manufacturer won't stand behind the warranty on.

That really sucks. I LOVED my Bates Event when I had it as it fit me and Layla perfectly, esp b/c of the cutback pommel. But if they wont even honor it?! Total BS. Are you talking to the US branch? They are out of AUS I think.

I've emailed everybody I can find an address for. It's apparently a common policy among saddle manufacturers that they don't honor the warranty once the saddle has been sold as used. So unless you are the original owner, you're SOL. I'm trying to find out which brands DO stand behind their product, and I'll let y'all know when I find out.

And I will not be buying a Bates again. I've also heard Courbette is bad to deal with.

Ive never really cared for Courbette saddles... I have a bridle by them that is nice but thats about it.

Have you tried talking to Ann @ Equestrian Imports? She is super savvy about saddles and could possibly help with finding a good company to work with.

I have emailed her, but she's not a Bates retailer, so I only emailed her about repairing the tree on my dime. I've not heard back from her yet.

I'm just really hoping I can get ahold of the name of the tack store that sold the saddle, and they will give me the paperwork I need.

I thought wintec trees had a lifetime warranty? My old one had the points and the tree break, and they sent me a brand new one. I went through the store I bought it from though.

Had a wonderful, relaxing time at the mountains, and came back to Riley in hives, Ben with a cut leg, and 7 inches of rain that washed out my arena down to the clay, half is now unrideable.

I burst into tears, and am still depressed. Sometimes it's all to much for one girl to do. I had to call my dad to see if he can fly up in the next month and help me fix it. In the mean time I'm sure the boarder and the trainer will witch about it.

Wintec's "lifetime" warranty is only good for 10 years, and it only applies if you have the original paperwork or can take it back to the store where it was purchased. Otherwise, you're SOL. Of course, I have found all of this out through various tack shops because the company doesn't deal with customers at all. Period.

And Lucy has all but stopped sweating. I have no clue why. She just stands out there and pants. Of course I am hosing her multiple times a day, and she's good about staying in the shade, but I'm still worried about her. The only things I have changed recently are adding SmartOmega3 for her mane and tail itching (works wonders) and spraying her with OFF a couple times since my boarder used all my fly spray while I was in the hospital, and I've not been able to get anywhere to buy more. SO Tomorrow I'm going to give her a good scrubbing, and I'm taking her off the SO3, in hopes that I can get her sweating again.

She did struggle a bit last summer with heavy breathing, but I put her on salt with potassium in it, and it seemed to fix everything right up. This summer, she's just a lot more miserable.

Whew - had to rescue this thread from the bottom of the page!

Im in New Mexico (about 2 hrs west/northwest of Lubbock Tx) to visit with my brother and his family. I finally can agree that there is a difference between humid 100 degrees and dry 100 degrees.

Havent done much riding lately... got on last Monday and just walked around. Im hurting too much to do more than that. Dont know if I posted but I moved my surgery to Sept 1 instead of Sept 24 due to basically constant pain.

Ponies are doing good. Ive been lungeing Rex like 2-3 times a week (again even just standing hurts sometimes) and he caught on to what WHOA means after about 5 mins. Figuring out about forward though he still tries the typical "turn and stop" to not work though hes understanding that isnt an option. Doesnt pull on the lunge or anything and is pretty much 90% on vocal commands.

Layla is just hanging out and chilling. We had that lesson on July 23 and Ive ridden one time after that, excluding the walking last week.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I think school is starting up for a few of you and its probably getting more bareable to ride up north.

Getting ready to head to the "Rib Shack" for some New Mexico BBQ..... MmMmmmMmmmmm

Ha Krazy, probably should start a new chit chat thread, shouldn't we? This one is up over 500 posts!

We went to Port Aransas and hung out on the beach and went on a deep sea fishing tour. Nobody on our boat caught much except a 6' reef shark! Took the guy 45 min. to reel him in and that was with everyone bringing our lines in and the boat had to get moving!!! Port A is a lovely little island with the best shopping and restaurants and fun beach. We love going there.

Been riding Beau and taking lessons. He is doing awesome w/ 2nd level. Someone is coming to try him on Wed. Had a friend ride him the other day that had to sell her horse. She is a lovely rider and had a blast on him.

Going back to work on Mon. Blah, yuck! Wish I could just retire!

That's about all for now. Hope you are all staying cool! It's blistering hot here.

KYM-Mmmmm ribs. We used to have this awesome rib place that would smoke the ribs and use a dry rub. Very tastey. However folks around here want grilled with a good sauce. So it ended up closing. I hope the next couple of weeks go quickly for you.I am sure it is not fun being in pain all the time.

Boocoo-Sounds like a nice trip.

I haven't posted for fear of jinxing myself. Usually I will post about having some good rides then bam I get a ride from he11. Well hubby is asking to ride today and I have a lesson Wed so I think it should be ok to jinx myself. New trainer is great so far.Cheese is going real good.Trainer has me working on using seat more and lighten the leg aides a bit. Which Cheese seems to appreciate. Had a jump lesson the other week. Trainer kept things small and easy. Lot of gymnastic stuff. Cheese only lasted about a half an hour. She is really out of shape when it comes to jumping.The walk work afterwards was awesome(after we got past the little bit of jigging.) I am not sure it was because she warmed up more,tired out more, or more focused because of the jumping. I need to figure out what it is because she was so nice.

Work is crazy with inventory around the corner. They added more truck nights to try to lessen the freight. Not happening. It just gave the warehouse more dats to dump on us. To top things off everyone is overworked and stressed out and the managers are blind to theis fact. On the plus side because of the new truck schedule I now have off during the weekend.