Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

shiloh -- That baby squirrel is too darn cute!!

3Day - Thanks :) I'm on my last semester of my Senior year and cannot wait for it to be over! I am planning on staying close to home and getting my AA in Business Adminstration at our community college and then will most like transfer to Washington State University to get my BA. I had originally planned to go to a University right after high school, but staying home will allow me to do an apprenticeship with my trainer and allow me to compete/ride Arielle. Hope you have a blast in Aiken!!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Beckham our weather was gorgeous today and only 1 day of rain in the 7 day. Maybe that means it's going to get better.

Shantel, how was the show, hope you didn't freeze.

Looks like Shiloh is busy being an adopted Mama to all the spring babies! Too cute.

Luvhorses, good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Had the internet guy out today to fix our internet. It just would not load any pages. Now it's working fine. Dragged the arena and longed Beau. Then had an in-hand lesson w/ Bobby. Taught him how to trot in hand. Wow that boy has a huge trot. It was fun.

Hope to ride tomorrow.

Show was good. On the way there, Sarah closed my door on the Ford and the window fell down!!! Its a VERY common problem apparently (happened on my drivers side like 2 yrs ago) but we couldnt get it up. So we drove for an hour to the show, 37 degrees, with rain. It was a blast....

We didnt get stalls because they are like $50 there and plus Layla just doesnt do well with their stalls because they have solid walls. Well we didnt know it was going to be raining OR that my window would fall. Luckily they didnt use the outside of the barn and there is a big over hang so I pulled 1/2 way under it. Horses were able to be tied to the trailer and stand under the barn and my truck didnt get wet.

It was FREEZING cold. Layla was going nuts without Ben while trying to warm up (which consisted of walking and if she were one to rear, she would have been rearing). I finally saw my vet and she saw how Layla was just quivering under me so went and got Ben and stood in the rain and cold with him next to the ring for me. (Sarah was volunteering as a runner). So I got to trot once around the warm up and go in for my test. Needless to say, it was TENSE. But she pulled it together and it was a really nice test. But the judge came to talk to me at the end and said that she was like 1" short on the right hind as far as tracking up and I would have had all 7s and 8s but had to give me 5s and 6s. I know with the cold that her bone spavin can cause her to be a touch short on that right hind but the judge said it was very clear she wasnt in pain as she was happy and freely forward and actually relaxed in the test. So I ended up with a 61% which isnt bad but it would have been mid to high 60s.

Sarah showed Intro B & Training 2. She got a 67.8% at T2 which was her 2nd time EVER showing Training and her first time showing T2. This is her 3rd dressage show for herself and Bens 3rd show too. Intro B she got a 63% and got one of two qualifying scores for our GMO Championships.

By the time we left the sun was out and it was about 53 degrees. So started crappy and ended good. I was very proud of Layla esp considering the melt down she had and then went into the ring with like NO warm up and still delivered a great test. Unfortunately with her bone spavin, sometimes it will present with that shortness but my sports med vet has assured me she is not in pain and little miss Layla has no qualms with letting you know when she is hurting.

Emily, I LOVE the squirrel and the duckling! HOW CUTE.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Shantel, that sucks about your truck. I've heard of that issue in Fords. My FIL's driver's side door on his Ford truck won't even stay closed unless you know exactly how to close it! I love my Chevy trucks.

Oh, you better watch out with calling the ducks cute. I'll bring you a couple next month if you're not careful. Not Cripple Duck though, he's stuck with me for life :)

Glad the show ended good Shantel. That does suck about your truck. I have never had that happen, thank goodness. I have owned 9 Ford trucks since 1982, and never had that happen. Hope it never does, says Boocoo as she knocks on wood.

My dh has decided that he want us to stay here in TX. So he is job hunting hard and heavy. We will still keep both houses on the market though, cause it could be a while till that happens. We really don't want to take our son out of school here though. He needs to graduate from this high school! Plus I don't want to give up my job.

It is a very common issue with the new body style Ford F150s (04 and up). Eventually all 4 windows will have it break.

BTW Ford dealership wanted $450 installed to put in the part. $225 just for the part. It is only made by Motorcraft so you have to buy it direct. How about it only costs $110!? I found a wholesale place on eBay (like 80000 positive rating) and got it for $74 brand new and Randy can put it in for me.

Hope that the job hunt works for your hubby and you guys can stay where you are. I can imagine how stressful it is to have to up and leave.

I am so irritated at myself for getting so irritated at strangers online who just live to be snarky and nasty to others. Jill posted a question about how to score if the judge sees an irregularity in the gait (each movement or collectives) and now I am being accused of showing a lame horse, buting my horse just so I can ride her, piling on injections and pushing her, not being able to take honesty, that my mare just needs to be a pasture ornament, blah blah blah. There are certain people on UDBB who have an agenda and always post on my threads with their nasty comments. Then they derail my thread and then all of a sudden I am blamed for doing stuff that I am not even doing. Like the stuff mentioned above, all that was asked is how it is judged. I did not ask about my mare or anything and then people go off on these tangents accusing me of doing those things & then giving me attitude because I apparently cannot take peoples comments. BTW comments that are to questions that I never asked.

I would just love to tell them to all go to he double hockey sticks for even insinuating that I would do those things to my horse or any animal. It is a sad day and age when people have to get off on berating others to try to make themselves feel good. Since I am not an ideal weight and my mare is not an ideal size for me, I am an animal abuser, horrible horse person, insert whatever other horrid thing they say.

I have ridden with Todd Fletrich. He has NO problem telling you what he really thinks. He will say if you are too big or too small for your horse or you are a crappy rider. He is blunt and to the point. He told me that yes I am not an ideal size but we are not doing anything that she is not capable of doing with me and that she has no problems working while I am riding her.

I dont even know why I posted this here.. probably just venting because anything I post over there is twisted and construde to whatever they choose. It is sad because there are so many educated and talented people, judges, trainers on that board and it goes down the toilet because of certain posters who ruin it for everyone.

Awwww I'm sorry Shantel! I'm scared of COTH (only about 200 posts in 6 years) and have never posted on UDBB. I'm a weenie when it comes to people, and they all seem braver and nastier behind the screen.

I also write out responses, and probably 70% of the time I hit delete instead of post, because I chicken out.

For the original question, I have scribed several times when that has come up, and the answer is both. They'll comment and mark down each move (usually trot diagonals they see it the most) and the mark down gaits, and usually comment at the end of the sheet to. I scribe for schooling shows, and you get a lot of 24 year old school horses, so I see this a lot.

Yes, I only got the comments in the trot and I got 7's on the walks and canters. My best guess is that it was 37 degrees, raining, and you see the videos I posted from 2 days before. Plus she was crazy tense and that didnt help. I just was surprised that there were no other comments regarding the actual movement/figure/transition.

I also just cannot believe the comments of some of the people on UDBB. They still insist she is in pain, though they have never seen her, and my VETS have blocked and the range of motion in that hock did not change. But everyone is an armchair vet and FEI rider online.

Sgiloh-Need more cute pics. Yep you started something. CP and the squirrel are just to cute.

Boocoo-I hope all goes well with your hubby's job seach.

KTM-Congrats to your friend, Sarah. It sounds like she had a very good show. Yep I remember showing in the freezing cold. Not doing it anymore. I am a wuss. So kudos to you for showing and still getting a decent score. So I ventered to the UDBB board since I have seen a few of you guys mention it. There were a couple of posts on the cross training that had me laughing. Shantel you know Layla better than anyone else. Just ignore the fools. I have had to grow tough skin while posting for help with Cheese. She is not your ordinary horse to train. If I would have listened to everyone I would have ended up with a fried horse. You seem like a very responsible horse owner. So they can just go bugger off. Sorry about your truck.

I have been able to start to get back into the swing of things again. It is supose to stay in the 40s. So hopefully we are done with snow. The wind was kicking up today. So we did walk, trot, and spook. The one spook was amusing to ride. It was a stride of canter in place, spin, and attempt to bolt. Cheese's trot work is getting good. She has been a bit energetic so it is hard to get a nice rythmic working trot. Plus the footing is a bit sloppy. However she was working very nicely on the bit. It was just a tad bit slow and when you added a bit of leg it was a tad bit fast. Still very happy where she is at considering the lack of riding through the winter.

Yeah, I don't post much of anything of COTH or UDBB, aside from non-training-related questions. There are quite a few people around who think they know EVERYTHING because they rode a schoolmaster or took a couple lessons with some bug-name. But when it comes to difficult or older horses, those standard methods no longer apply. Sometimes you have to do things a different way.

OK, so Cripple Duck and Velcro Squirrel have become buddies. Cripple Duck had another setback after spending a night with his brothers, so he is back to being handfed and confined to smaller spaces, so we put him in with Velcro Squirrel. They like to curl up together.

0228001058.jpg

And now a message from Cripple Duck, who is just dying to say something... gky b,m,lk. nkm m,

OMG. I can die happy now that I have seen a picture of a duckling and baby squirrel curled up sleeping together.

csa, glad Cheese is coming along. I think once you are able to get into a more consistant program and she builds up her balance and strength, you will find her tempo is more steady.

And yes, there are quite a few people over on UDBB who are nasty. And go figure, the ones who are known for being THE nasty ones on COTH have always given me great advice & good comments.

Getting ready for pouring rain AGAIN tomorrow.... oy vey. Then freezing cold again. This is THE longest, coldest, wettest winter EVER in Florida.

Such a long winter!!

Calling for 2-6 inches of snow over the next two days.

Not a big deal for most, but remember: South =/= Snow Plows.

Since this is the 4th snow storm in 4 weeks, and the 5th this year, I think they ran out of their next ammunition- the salt brine. ( and we maybe get 1 small snow a year)

There is none on the main roads as of right now.

That's not a good sign.

We broke the all time record for the snowiest February ever...30+ inches...over 60 for the winter. This has been the longest winter ever. It is warming up a little here and the snow is starting to melt.

Okay, CD and VS are too darn cute.

That explains it Shantel, it's the F-150's. Mine is an 04 F-250. I can't believe I've had it that long. I usually trade them in when they are getting to be about 3 or 4 years old. But I really like this truck, so guess I'll keep it.

I don't post as often as I used to on the UDBB either. I used to post a lot, but it is a very negative board and I get tired of all the snarkiness. Even the trainers that are very knowledgeable that post there all the time are snarky. I posted about Bobby's breeders new stallion, who was showing GP in Germany and has an incredible reputation in Germany. They imported him and he will be on their farm soon. Bobby's breeder is very knowledgeable, highly experienced and knows the Hanoverian market and of course people were jealous and had to tear him apart. I actually asked the board mods to remove the entire post. They did, but not without giving me grief about it. Even the board mods on that board are rude and snarky. So I am just staying away. Got a little much on my plate these days anyway.

My dh got an apt. for 3 months. He just paid for it up front and was glad he only had to sign a 3 month lease. Hopefully he is home by then. This is insane. We are going to continue to try and sell both houses and if they both sell, so be it, then we'll figure out what to do. May just rent for a while and work on getting the dh back down here. I can board the horses at my friends place, which is real nice and has an indoor, for a while, till we buy another place. Time will tell.

Oh Beckham, in keeping up with the weather, last summer was our hottest summer on record and this winter was the coldest. I don't know if was the wettest, but we came out of a drought and are in the surplus for rain. We had a thunderstorm this afternoon that dropped pea size hail. Lots of it. We were making hailballs!

So in the next installment of Cripple Duck and Velcro Squirrel...

I went in to feed VS a syringe of milk replacer, and he was curled up, hugging CD's leg. I busted out laughing, pulled him out of the cage (he officially likes CD more than he does me), and gave him his milk. CD starts SCREAMING like I have just stolen his best friend, which I guess I did. Once VS was done with his milk, I put him back in the cage, and CD stopped screaming and started singing to VS.

We may have to build a big cage for the two of them when they grow up.

Aww, shiloh, so cute!

I can't take any more. This bad luck has to end. I'm out of horses to ride. Riley is still off. Amore seems to have strained a stifle. And coming off a jump in my lesson today, Ben ripped his shoe off AND put the clip through his foot.

I am bloody, tired, and fed up. There can't be anything left, can there?

KTS, that's 3, so you should be done with the bad luck. If you were closer, I would hand you one of mine to ride. I just haven't had time this week with trying to get the inside of the trailer painted.

CD and VS have been split up. VS won't stay in a cage, so he is living in our shower with the sliding doors until we figure out something better. CD can't go in the shower though because it's too big, and he gets stuck on his back. CD is less than thrilled at being alone.

I wish it were three! That's what I was hoping for the first three!: Here's my list since 28th January (a copy and paste job, so most I've already whined about!!):

Go to feed horses before PM class, find my horse down in the field colicking. Spend all night with IV drips, miss PM class and next day class.

My mare hurts her stifle.

Massive snow and ice storm rolls in over the weekend, postponing my trip to Florida.

Monday night, get a call from the sheriff at 2 am. My horses are loose. I run out the door, slip on sheet of ice, fall on my arm and hip, slide into car. Massively large hematoma on hip.

I go and get them- NOT MY HORSES. But I tramp through slush and mud and ice to check on them all, in my sockless tennies and pajamas. It's about 20 degrees. Get home, can't sleep. Oh yeah, TWO major tests in the am.

Friend calls with the flu- postpone FL. trip again.

This Sunday- drive 9 hours to fl, drop off horse, turn around, 9 hours straight back. Not bad luck, just a bad day, lol.

Tues, twist ankle on stairs with laundry.

Bad luck runs to my father, who doesn't close on a business deal we were hoping on.

Colicky horse, who was better, is now lame IN FLORIDA, so might have to drive down and get him.

I get migraine and have 2 more tests, with 1 bad score for the test of the sleepless missing horse night.

Get a letter from the Deans office: Sorry, you can't graduate this semester, tallied your hours wrong, see you in summer school!

Add in this last two weeks:

Two more snow storms= minus two jump lessons

One lost shoe= out of another jump lesson

Riley gets better, comes up lame again

Amore comes up lame again

Bennigan punctures his foot

And two jobs I had lined up have fallen through

I'm due for some good times, right? It's been over a year since I've shown Riley, 8 months since my last little schooling show on Frasier. I'm a goal oriented gal, and not having a goal makes me depressed. I can't even predict who is going to be sound tomorrow, much less even have a tentative goal! It's driving me crazy!

KTS, I'm right up there with you. It has not stopped raining since Sept. and I can count on both hands how many lessons I've had because I can't ride due to the rain. My husband is freaking 500 miles away and I am stuck here with two houses to sell. My husband is miserable and wants to come home and is trying to find a job back down here. We had to kick our tenant out of our other house cause she never paid the rent and now we have two mrtg. payments on two houses that we are trying to sell in a bad economy! So I hear ya on time for some good things to start happening. I am not even signing up for any shows right now until our weather improves and it would be nice to know where the heck I'm going to be living.

Things aren't the best in the luck department here either...some I don't wish to discuss right now...but horrible weather, school from **** (I have 9 exams in the next two weeks), can't ride in this weather, haven't had a lesson since November...ya, 2010 hasn't not started with a bang for anyone, huh?

I say we all get together and get rip roaring drunk. And maybe look into some luck-changing witchcraft. I'll even sacrifice something. I don't know what though, since I don't even eat meat!

Sorry the bad times are around for all of us. :(

But that just means we'll have good times exponentially too, right?

RIGHT?!

My luck hasn't been the best, with Annie trying to cut off her leg, the neighbors from **** and their meth labs, having to semi-retire Lucy, and wishing I could sell my townhouse because it costs more money than I can charge for rent. I've had 2 lessons in the last year, one of which I barely rode because of Lucy's dental issues.

But I do adore Mr. Kashmir, and I think I will have a lot of fun with him. And hopefully Annie will grow some in the next year so I can start having fun with her when she turns 3.

Trailer is all ready to be painted on the inside! We just have to tape off the windows, and it's ready to go! The outside is next on the list, but not sure what color yet. Both my truck and hubby's truck need paint jobs too, so I would like to decide on colors for them before deciding what color to paint the trailer. Or should I go with just a generic color, in case we decide to sell this one to get a 3h?

Hey guys. It sounds like a lot of you are getting a bunch of curve balls. Boocoo, this has got to be a stressful time for you and your family. Shelley, you're getting burnt out with school work and the long winter. Tracy and Shantel, the meds and their side effects suck. I'm on Zoloft right now, and my only saving grace for a decent libido is the fact that I'm in my second trimester, which is simply blissful. Come this summer, though, the libido will go down the tubes. Emily, you're probably missing riding Lucy. THEN there's Lauren (eventer)... Enjoying a little get away in Aiken... I'm jealous :-)

The weather up here in NW IA is starting to improve. The snow is finally melting in the 30-40 degree weather! The sun is shining often. The days are getting longer. Spring is just around the corner. Yeah, there's going to be the fun mud to contend with, but it'll eventually go away. Look on the bright side; the flies aren't out yet!!! :-)

We're in the beginning stages of getting a new house built on our acreage this Spring- a three bedroom/two bath with full basement with 9 ft ceiling and 2 egress windows! I'm excited and scared at the same time.

Baby is doing very well. I can feel him (I have an inate feeling it's a boy) kicking my bladder. We will have an ultrasound at the end of this month. We're hoping baby is positioned just right so we can determine the gender.

Chad and I have elected to do a repeat c-section instead of trying for a vbac. After speaking with my Dr., I decided that it would be the best choice for my family and me... even if it's going to delay my riding another month or so. It's all good. I'm getting used to not riding... It's not so bad... I think...

I hope for the best for you guys. Everyone hang in there with the remaining winter weather and mud and lame horses and job searching, etc, etc, etc.

Spent most of the day at the hospital for MIL lumpectemy. I have had about a half hour of sleep in the past 24 houes. I am making some dinner and crashing.

We are all a pitiful bunch. We need a horsecity dressage group get together for sure. I hope everything picks up for everyone soon.

CSA, prayers for your MIL!!!!

Things WILL get better. Hang in there everyone.

I took pics yesterday of the ponys. It was my bday so I went over to Jills to ride and then Randy took me to the American Cafe downtown at the Landing. Lovely view on the river overlooking our downtown, which is very pretty (see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kettermanphotography/310307989/ )

I also racked in $250 cash & a Carvel icecream cake! yay

Just a few pics from yesterday.

Baby Horse is getting big. He still looks like a moose but oh well. His butt is level with my eyebrows & I am 5'8 so I guess that makes his butt around 16.2? Im not sure. He has been getting wider though.

IMG_0809a.jpg

Excuse all the bite marks... he can be a pest! lol

"Who me??"

IMG_0820a.jpg

"Not me!"

IMG_0864a.jpg

Example A:

IMG_0824a.jpg

Best picture EVER

IMG_0830a.jpg

my ride over at Jils

03051010.jpg

03051013.jpg

03051011.jpg

0305108.jpg

As far as an update on Rex... I "lunged" him the other day for the 3rd time ever. Which consists of him walking/trotting in a halter for about 2-3 mins each way. So his 3rd time ever and he was just perfect. I also long lined him at the walk for the first time ever about a month ago. We were able to stop, turn both ways, do figure 8s, etc. Im like geez what can he not do? So its just hurry up and wait. He is going to be 3 in June. Other than walking on the long lines maybe once or twice a month, that is all I plan to do with him, if that. I just cant see backing him even at 3. He still looks so immature. But we have plunty of time!

So I took Mir to a clinic today with a more local but wonderful trainer (Sally Moehring). He was such a star. He was pretty looky when we got there, but settled into working nicely. He was really working over his back, and we worked on the down transitions, keeping a consistent pace, a bit of leg-yield and spiral circles. He was just great. At one point a truck passed on the road behind the arena, and he started talking to it. He's never talked to vehicles before.

There was a cancellation, so I ended up going back home and picking up Lucy. She has been a bit of a butt lately, and she wouldn't let me catch her today without first feeding treats to Mir and Annie. She was a bit of a moron, but no worse than normal, and she was actually very very sound. She hasn't even had her joint supplement in a week. We worked on the SI and some leg-yield exercises to help keep her shoulders in line. She was hard to ride of course, but she did pretty well.

So I'm going to start working on more first-level stuff with her, and some trot poles, and then just hacking her around. I think she needs to be in some kind of work. She's getting a bit annoying without doing something.

Glad the clinic went well. It may be that the collection of 2nd is just too much for her but actually working and having some sort of program keeps the arthritis in check and they do feel better.

Went out to dinner and went to see Avatar 3D. Wow. What a great movie. Esp in 3D. I cant wait to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D. And I want to see Shutter Island too.