Sign in to follow this  
Boocoo

Dressage Chit Chat #28

And I might be asking her for too much collection too. So I'm going to back it off with her, and work more on trot poles and first level stuff, and the SI and canter serpentine circles, less on collection so much.

Today I just tacked her up and then took her out in the pasture and did some endo-tapping with her. On her left side, she got it very quickly, and same with her right haunch. The right shoulder though, she never really did get. Not too sure what that means. I think I will email JP and ask.

Emily, Glad to read that Miss Lucy is able to do at least 1st level :-) Heck, I'd be happy as a clam if I could get Jaggar to do just that. Sounds like the local clinic went well.

Shantel, I'm loving the pictures of Rex!! What a cool dude! Now we just need to see more pictures of the other lil' guy- Bobby (Boocoo)!

Boocoo, What a rought time right now for you and your family. I've been there- done that with the whole "not knowing where we'll be living come next week" situation. Not fun at all. Also, it's definitely not a good thing when your tentants stop paying their rent... I will keep you in my prayers.

Chad, Shannon and I enjoyed a weekend with my parents in Lincoln, NE. Grandma and Grandpa babysat Shannon so that Chad and I could go downtown for a movie (first movie since October 2009). We saw Avatar, and I will agree with Shantel that it's pretty cool. Yeah, a little predicatable, but the action and graphics were next to none! Granted, we could only see it in 2-D... I boarded Champ at a special kennel where they have doggy daycare throughout the day. The ONLY time he was not loose with the other dogs and people was at night and during a two hour "nap time" in the afternoon! The bonus was that Champ was happy AND clean when we picked him up on Sunday! I'm so happy I found the kennel! http://www.bedandbiscuitdog.com/

Baby is kicking more and more! I'm enjoying this pregnancy.

Edited by Sylves

Thanks Sylves.

Not much to report here.

Busy weekend keeping the place picked up. Didn't ride though, it's raining again.

My hubby is coming home this weekend for a weeks' vacation. So can't wait to see him.

KTM-Let me know if Shutter Island is any good. I am on the fence on going to go see that.

shiloh-Sounds like the clinic was a good one.

Sylves-Glad all is going good for you and your faily.

Boocoo-Enjoy your week.

Got a couple good rides this weekend. I got Hubby to video some. I just have to edit it down some.I just got done hacky sacking with some friends. So not used to it. I will be hurting tomorrow.

MIL is doing well. Surgeon sounded very pleased with himself.Now she has a small break than chemo and radiation.

Boocoo -- thanks! Sounds like a stressful situation you are in. That's great your husband is coming home, you must be thrilled.

Shantel -- those pictures are hilarious!! Loved them.

c.s.a -- that's fantastic the surgery went well. I'll keep your MIL in my thoughts.

I'm trying to get Arielle (and myself!) back in shape after another three weeks off due to her soundness issue. There has been problem after problem since July 09. I hope we are going to be able to have a consistent show season. Last year we showed Training and dabbled in some First Level, so this year we are doing all First and hopefully some Second Level mid-late summer. We'll see how things are and if she has the strength and muscling to do the collected work...don't want to push her and strain anything.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Okay, a very quick catch up with those that I haven?t been keeping up with off of HC!!

Boocoo ? Eddie is insanely cute. Glad to hear Bobby is recovering well from his gelding. Hope Bobby and Beau are both healing well from their recent wounds. So sorry to hear about your husband?s job. That really sucks. I know you were really happy to finally settle in a house with horse property. I hope he is able to find a job that will keep you right where you are.

KTS ? Congrats on Bennigan!! He is gorgeous!! Glad to hear Riley was okay after the sedative incident, but how frightening. Sorry to hear of your run of bad luck. Hope one of your ponies comes up sound for you.

Shantel ? You?ve put up a bunch of really nice photos of you and Layla. Sounds like you and Layla had a decent show given the cold, nasty weather.

Tracy ? Glad to hear Fessor healed up well from his cut leg, and you are back to riding him.

Sylves ? So sorry to hear about your FIL.

CSA ? Glad to hear your MIL?s surgery went well.

McKenzie ? Hope Arielle stays sound for you this show season.

As for me, I gave Lieto the entire winter off. He had a little over 3 full months off. Despite having mixed lab results on the Lyme tests, the vet decided to go ahead and treat him for Lyme. He is just finishing up his final month on the Doxy now. He has about a week left before he is done. We started him back with a BNT in the barn about a month ago, and he is finally acting the horse I tried in PA for the first time since I have had him here in MA. I started back to riding him in twice weekly lessons with my trainer about 2 weeks ago. We will continue with me doing 2 lessons a week, and the BNT doing 2 rides a week for the foreseeable future. He is HORRENDOUSLY weak right now ? as in absolutely no muscle at all, so it is hard to say exactly where we stand, but behavior wise, he has been a superstar. The vet says she still feels there is something not quite right with the way he moves which could be something neuro going on with him, or it might just be that he has zero muscle, so keep doing what we are doing, build muscle and reassess in a month. The real test will be when we transition him off the Doxy which can mask other issues that are going on aside from Lymes. Other than that, all is well. Work is INSANELY busy, which is good, but crazy. Here are a couple of pics of me and Lieto that Jack took as I was untacking him after our lesson this past Sunday.

Lieto0118s.jpg

Lieto0120s.jpg

~Shelly~

He's so pretty!

Why do they think he has lost all of his muscle? Is that part of the physical issues he has been having?

He's so pretty!

Why do they think he has lost all of his muscle? Is that part of the physical issues he has been having?

Being that he is only 4yo and VERY lightly worked due to how big he is, he didn't have a lot of muscle to begin with. Then the Lymes Disease just ravaged his body. There was a point right before we started the Doxy where he literally looked like a skeleton with fur it was so bad. I was rather thankful at the time that it was headed into winter and he was blanketed or else I was afraid someone would turn us into the SPCA for neglect - that is seriously how bad he was looking. I changed his diet to add a ton of fat into the diet, and turned him out for over 3 months straight which helped him recover his weight, but did nothing for the muscle recovery. That is what we are working on, but trying to bring back such a large 4yo is tricky. He is all leg and doesn't really know where all those long legs go all the time. I had a killer lesson on him tonight though. He was a rockstar. Tired very quickly, but that is to be expected at this point.

~Shelly~

Being that he is only 4yo and VERY lightly worked due to how big he is, he didn't have a lot of muscle to begin with. Then the Lymes Disease just ravaged his body. There was a point right before we started the Doxy where he literally looked like a skeleton with fur it was so bad. I was rather thankful at the time that it was headed into winter and he was blanketed or else I was afraid someone would turn us into the SPCA for neglect - that is seriously how bad he was looking. I changed his diet to add a ton of fat into the diet, and turned him out for over 3 months straight which helped him recover his weight, but did nothing for the muscle recovery. That is what we are working on, but trying to bring back such a large 4yo is tricky. He is all leg and doesn't really know where all those long legs go all the time. I had a killer lesson on him tonight though. He was a rockstar. Tired very quickly, but that is to be expected at this point.

~Shelly~

That makes sense, I forgot how young and tall he was. All my babies have been stout, stocky or petite little things that were either pudgy or still with racetrack muscles. I don't know much about Lymes, other than I tested Riley for it some years back when he had some random leg swelling. It was negative. It's very rare in my state, but he had lived in PA for some time as a youngster and I guess it's really prevalent there.

Yes, PA has the highest rate of Lymes in the country. Lieto was in a pasture that was right in/next to the woods as well, so the chances of him being exposed to Lymes was very, very high. My trainer and I figure that he probably had been exposed and was carrying the Lymes, and the stress of the 8 hour trailer ride combined with moving to a new home and losing the only trainer/owner he had known his whole life probably triggered the Lymes. It is a really ugly disease and can do a lot of damage. The hardest part for us was that Lieto was new to us, and he is only 4yo, so it was hard to distinguish what was normal 4yo behavior and what was abnormal. He had to really start acting very badly before we could say something was definitely not right with him.

~Shelly~

I have been thinking about you and Lieto! So glad to hear he is recovering. He looks fabulous. I love his color.

So I got my Invisalign trays on Tuesday! So excited! Its a little weird taking them on and off but I am getting used to it. Also very weird wearing these plastic trays for 23 hrs a day but again, Im adjusting. And already, with just the trays in, I am waking up with minimal jaw pain and tightness. YAY.

Spread 240lbs of fertilizer yesterday as I knew it was going to rain today. And of course now its flooded! But I went out and the fertilizer balls are still on the soil and not floating so hopefully it wasnt a waste.

Rode Layla on.... Sunday I think it was? Rode here at the house with Sarah. She did really well but man we were working. Plus it was in the mid 70s and neither of us were used to the heat yet. Going to try to ride either tomorrow or at least Saturday over in the neighbors arena.

Going to go eat spaghetti.... bye!

Shelly, I had no idea that Lieto was over coming Lymes! I hope the best for you. Chad's German Holstiener, Quincy tested positive for EPM when he was only 5. Chad never got to truly start Quincy's training. Quincy was severely neuro for the rest of his life. It was such a heartache. Chad had such high hopes for his horse... I pray that your story turns out better than Quincy's story.

Not much going on here, except rain, rain and more rain. Jade's stall/run-in is starting to flood with all of the rain and melting snow. We're going to move her to Jaggar's yard/run-in this weekend. Thankfully they get along quite well together. Jagger's stall/run-in is like 20ft x 10ft- It's insanely huge; the two ponies should do just fine!

We have the blue prints completed for our house. We're still waiting on our bank about the loan app, granted we know we'll qualify. It's a FHA loan, and there's a couple of hoops that he must jump through. I'm praying that we can get this all done by July 1st so that we can qualify for the tax credit!

I miss my ponies...

Edited by Sylves

Sheely-Glad to hear Lieto is on the mend. He is a very hansome boy.I hope things continue to get better for the two f you.

KTM-I hope thhings dry out for you.

Beautiful day today but no riding. Hubby was to tired.Planning to ride tomorrow. At least I got to hang out with some friends I don't get to see a lot. The one is like family but I usually only see once or twice a year.

Hubby will be home on Sunday. We aren't doing too much over spring break though. Bike ride, hike w/ dogs and I hope to ride some. Our son has a Jiu Jitsu tournament on the 20th. It will be the first one he has ever competed in. He has been training for about a year now and all the guys at the classes are telling me they are getting quite impressed with how tough he is getting. We are glad hubby will be home to get to go with us to the tournament. He will leave Sun. the 21st.

I finally rode yesterday. I longed on Tues. and then rode yesterday. Beau was great. His SI and HI were definitely there, finally, as were his simple changes. I did not ask for any medium trot as we have been off for quite a while. The weather is looking good though and now that it is warming up, things won't take so long to dry out when it does rain. I had him down in the bottom pasture for a while this afternoon and let Bobby in his stall for dinner. Beau started his running around thing cause he couldn't see where Bobby went. I told my son to open the gate and let him in. He of course came charging up to the barn and turned a corner, came trotting out of it and I said to myself "wow, that was quite a nice extension." Had never seen him do that freely at the trot before. Usually he is very passagey. So I was quite pleased with that.

Off to bed now. Early outs tomorrow, so home to ride and work w/ Bobby some!

Crazy night. Jill had been feeling ill Wednesday so I went over and cleaned her barn/hayed her horses for her. She was feeling better but last night the pain was still there so she went to the ER for possible appendicitis. Shes been there since 8pm last night and after 2 CT scans, they still arent sure exactly what is going on. They cant actually see her appendix on the scan and shes actually not really in PAIN anymore, just discomfort. They keep trying to pump her full of pain meds but she keps telling them shes not in pain. Poor thing. So I am about to head over to her house and feed for her again. But anyways, last night, since Jill and her husband were at the ER, her 2 daughters were home alone and esp the 8 y/o gets freaked out if theres no adults there. So I went over and slept on the couch until her husband got home at 430am.

Just spent an hour digging run offs for all the standing water around the barn. Ugh its so disgusting. The sun is finally starting to come out.. hopefully we can ride tomorrow.

Boo, glad your hubby is coming home and he can see your sons tournament. Have fun riding.

Sylves, how exciting about the house. Hope it all goes through ok. We are STILL waiting for the closing on our refi and its been over 2 months!

Sylves ? The Lymes test were inconclusive. Two came back positive and one came back negative, so he was never actually diagnosed with Lymes, but all his symptoms really looked like Lymes, so the vet opted to treat for it and see if he responded to the meds. The vet that is treating Lieto now (as well as my trainer) has never seen him when he is healthy, so she has no baseline working knowledge of him. She has only seen him when he is ?off?. Jack and I are really the only ones who have seen him when he is feeling 100%. We had him vetted out fully by a lameness expert who is a very, very reputable vet. He never even saw a HINT of anything wrong with him. I know that neuro issues can pop up later on down the road, but I just find it hard to believe that the PPE vet wouldn?t have seen anything whatsoever at all. The vet I am using now is overly cautious in her opinion, which is good. She doesn?t want to give him the ?all clear? yet, and I can understand that. It could be just muscle weakness, or there could be something more going on, but until he is further along the road of recovery, there is no way to be sure. He has been tested for EPM, and that came back negative. I never tested him for EPSM, just put him on the specialized diet, as the test for EPSM is a muscle biopsy which is rather invasive. Once we transition him off the Doxy, if he is stable for a month or two, we will transition him off the EPSM diet and see if he holds stable. I believe he completes the Doxy cycle this week. So the next month is the real nervous phase for us. Good luck with the house. Hope you hear back from the bank soon.

Boocoo ? Glad to hear your husband will be home in time to see your son?s tournament. Sounds like son is really doing well. I?m sure that is something your husband wouldn?t want to miss seeing. Wow, didn?t take Beau any time at all to get fully attached to Bobby!!

KTM ? Hope Jill is okay. Sounds like you are really flooded down there.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

~Shelly~

What a relief that Lieto tested negative for EPM. Glad to read that you're at least back to riding Lieto. I hope that your vet will feel better about Lieto's movement in the coming months!I would love to have such a knowledgable and careful vet.

Shantel, I hope they can figure out what's going on with Jill. That was very thoughtful and helpful of you to babysit her kids until 4 am! I would love to have such a good friend.

Boocoo, I glad to read that your husband will be with you during your Spring Break and that he'll get to see your son's first tournament. Just out of curiosity, is the Jiu Jitsu a varsity sport at his high school or is it seperate from HS?

Shantel, glad you could be there to help Jill. Hope she is doing better.

Sylves, building a new house is a blast. What a fun time!

Shelly, jingling for a good month for Lieto off his meds.

Sylves, my son takes Jiu Jitsu at a private school outside of the high school. Our high school doesn't even offer wrestling. I think he'd rather stick with the Jiu Jitsu anway and it's really not expensive at all. They also do weapons training, but he is going to wait till summer to take that up.

Yeah Smithereens, Beau is very co-dependent. I cannot haul to a show with another horse if it's a day show that they won't be stalled. He freaks if his hauling buddy leaves him. If they are stalled, he is fine. Had a great ride this afternoon. I was quite impressed with him and only rode for 30 min. because he got everything the first time. Even his HI. He is so much more relaxed now and his feet are slowly improving. It's only been 3.5 years! [shocked]

Then I got Bobby out and worked with him on trotting in hand again. Man that sucker can trot. I ought to loose about 200 #'s just trying to keep up with him! So we trot, walk, whoa, back up, move to each side, all on voice command. What a smart little guy. He is a brilliant bay color, the more he sheds out the prettier his color gets!

So tomorrow I have to push mow, cause the riding mower blades are fried and our other riding mower is at our other house with a flat tire. Hubby and I will go up and fix it while he is here.

That's it. I am off till Mon. the 22nd. Yeah. Hoping I can keep riding and schedule a lesson.

Update: around 6pm surgeon finally came in and said that it appears her appendix is abnormal so she went in to have it removed. When they opened her up, they found it ruptured and had to clean it all out. They believe it ruptured on Wednesday. She is out of surgery and was recovering and getting ready to go to sleep. Ill be taking care of her horses tomorrow too and possibly Sunday.

I'm about to travel to see the grandparents and then off to PA (home) for spring break! I'm very excited. There is a lot going on right now and I just....need to be with family lol.

As for southeastern PA, yeah, Lymes is ridiculous here. Just sayin'. Its a total pain in every BO, BM and vet's butt!

As I am going home for spring break, I'll get out for at least one day to see the Pony (who will be RIDICULOUSLY muddy I'm sure!). Hopefully I'll bring the camera. We shall see.

I've got two offers to ride right now and I still am not allowed to take them :-( This is SO FRUSTRATING. I'll be allowed to ride this summer, however, by my doctors at least (my parents will throw a fit) and I've got a situation lined up to ride a friend's Morgan mare.

My only concern is once, while riding this mare, she completely buckled flat out onto her knees/faces and I went through the ears while we were simply trotting around the ring. She is a bit of funky mare to ride anyways, but this was weird. I let the owner know (she apparently did that once before) but it was a FREAKY accident. Frankly, the offer is wonderful, and most likely free, and I love the owner, but I'm not sure if its safe for me to ride a horse that could possibly pitch to her knees, particularly when I simply CANNOT afford another head injury.

So.

Hmm.

I mean, I really hope to ride The Pony at least once a week on a trail ride for the two months I am at home. Really hoping.....

Dobby, enjoy your spring break! With regards to the Morgan that has buckled at the knees- the last horse that buckled at the knees that I knew was Quincy. He tested positive for EPM in the blood and spinal fluid. He became a very dangerous horse to work with on the ground, let alone riding even after a full 7 month treatment. He was a big boy at 17.2 hands with the mind of a baby. It used to scare me when Chad was trimming Quincy's feet. I was scared to death that all 1400 lbs would come crashing down on Chad. ... I should know better than to jump to conclusions, as buckling at the knee has been reported with horses who need a serious hoof trimming or horses that need more selenium in their diet, etc. At any rate, I hope that you get to be in the saddle again sooner than later. Your last riding injury (and now Courtney King's injury) is a reminder to me that helmets DO save lives!

Helmets definitely do save lives. Dobby and I know that one firsthand.

And Dobby, I too would pass on a horse who randomly buckles and goes down like that. There could be some health issues behind it (Wobblers comes to mind), but it's not worth the risk for you.

Cripple Duck is not doing so hot lately. He's swimming OK, if pretty crooked, but he still can't flip himself back over, and he really can't walk. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he pulls through again.

Shantel, why did it take them two days to figure out her appendix has ruptured? Sheesh! That's a bit scary.

What an absolutely gorgeous day today. I went and got groceries and feed, then home and son and I push mowed! Argh! [Duh] but it's done now and the yard looks great. Man the house market is sure slow right now though. I haven't had anyone come look at this place for 3 weeks! I would think with this gorgeous weather, they would come in droves! It's very frustrating, this is such an awesome place! It should have sold already! Oy vey!

I will ride again tomorrow and work w/ Bobby some more. I finally turned all 3 out together today for the first time. Eddy tried to sniff Beau's hiney and Beau stomped at him and said "enough" so the ever so wise Eddy decided it was best to leave him alone. Bobby was very submissive to Beau at first and Beau didn't like that either and told him to buzz off. So he did and then they all grazed happily together all afternoon. I was reading in the hammock keeping an eye on them, only I fell asleep. Something about hammocks that do that to you! It was wonderful!

I'm bored. This was my spring break, and no one to ride. Vet was supposed to come out thursday, but it monsooned, so he's coming out next wednesday instead. Ben will have his shoe back on Monday, if all is well.

I got a job! I'm working 3 nights a week at a diner. We'll see how good my cooking is . . . .

Plus some house sitting, no lessons, and my Monday job as a grain deliverer, I might actually have some money to show, should anybody come sound!!

Today was somewhat nice, so I fertilized and seeded two paddocks and a big pasture by HAND. Between that, and some cough medicine I just bought, I might be able to sleep tonight! I keep waking up hacking. Ugh.

Spring has sprung and everyone is active again! I got some good riding in this week...it is supposed to rain all weekend, but it looks like I can get back at it Monday. I have Beckham signed up for a clinic in three weeks.

Things have been insane here this winter...school is busy and they found a tumor on my dad's kidney about a month ago. They removed the entire kidney this past Tuesday. I had to big exams that day and had to make it through them while the surgery was going on so I didn't get behind as I have five finals this coming week. My parents are still at the hospital so I have been taking care of all of their animals too, before and after school...then studying in between. (And then treating myself with some rides.) They are supposed to come home tomorrow and I am exhausted...I will be happy when this coming week is over and I get a week off. Between the weather and the stress, this has been a long and exhausting winter.

Boocoo-I am glad all of your kids are getting along. It makes my life so much easier that I have all 3 of mine out together now; and they enjoy having each other's company.

KTS-Are you not sure what is going on with Riley? Did Ben bruise his foot when the clip went in? Beckham did that once just trotting up to me at the gate and I saw it happen. I pulled the shoe immediately and started soaking and putting on a poultice. Ahg!

Shelly-Hi!

Shantel-I hope Jill is doing better...man. When is your next show.

Shiloh-Is the little duck not doing well? How is squirrel?

I just got home from a study group for my big anesthesiology exam and I am so tired. I am glad I have such a nice group of friends at school that make studying as fun as it can be:-)

Jeez Beckham, your poor Dad. How is he doing? I know about kidney's, my dh has a chronic kidney disease. Let's see if I can spell it. Glumerulonephritis!!! He is on medicine for the rest of his life. He has 4 Rx! But, because we caught it early, a little over 10 years ago, he will live a normal life. Glad you got some riding in. Spring is making things feel a lot better. I agree on a long stressful, crappy weather, winter! And it ain't over yet. Maybe the weather is getting better, but still lots of stress.

I can say one thing, getting to ride has sure cheered me up. And I do believe I will aim for the schooling show in April and do 2nd level 1 & 2. That sounds like a good plan and a positive goal to work towards. That's what keeps me going. Having goals to achieve.

Beck, so sorry to hear about your dad! How scary! And then having to do your exams the same day. Geez. I hope he is doing better and will have no further complications relating to this. Glad you have been riding some. My next show with my GMO is May 7th I think. We are hosting our spring rated show in April. I may trailer down to Ocala or Gainesville for a show... I dunno.

Emily, poor CD. I hope he pulls through. How is the squirrel? Have you been riding Lucy or Mir any lately?

Boo, sounds like a lovely day, minus the push mower. Was it self propelled?? Glad the boys had an uneventful meeting/grazing. Do you still not know if you are moving or not? Wasnt your hubby thinking of getting a different job so you guys dont have to move? I hear ya on the market though, its crazy.

dobby, so glad to hear you are healing so well! Im sure you will be so happy to see your Pony!! Hang in there. You have the rest of your life to ride ONCE you are healed. After being banned for over 6 months due to breaking my femur/hip @ 13 y/o, I was dying to ride too. I cant imagine having a head injury.

So Jill is doing good today. She had clear chicken broth & juice for lunch and was upped to cream of chicken soup and milk or grape juice for dinner. YUM. Luckily she is going to be able to go home tomorrow. Ill be over there as much as I can to help out.

Sarah came over today and we went next door and rode. Layla was really good. She is def getting her strength back as I am really working on making sure each "door" is closed and the one I want her to go through is open. Once I get her straight and forward, she holds it for like 5-7 strides and then starts getting a little wiggly. But it feels great. After the canter today, my upper abs right under my ribs were SCREAMING. I felt like I was kicked there. Lots of lift!

After we took the horses back home, Sarah and I went back to my neighbors and my neighbor let me play with her Oldenburg mare that she doesnt ride. She was being leased out and do the A show Hunters (winning the hack and o/f). Shes about 16.2/3 and VERY big boned and stout. Just a very solid horse. Shes liver chestnut with 4 whites and a blaze and bird catcher spots ALL over.

Its been a few months since she had been worked so I tacked her up and put her in the round pen. After seeing that she wasnt going to be stupid, I took her out to the arena and got on. SUPER comfy. Nice mover but smooth. Actually quite lazy. Oh BTW today we were having like 30mph gusts, it was getting cooler, neighbors husband came home and was literally pitching a tent with their son, the 2 dogs were running around, and neighbor was driving the golf cart with a utility trailer behind it with shavings. ALL while Im riding. LOL

I only rode her for like maybe 10 mins as she is so out of shape and she was worked in the round pen. But I am free to come over and ride her whenever I want. So that is exciting.

Only one more day off! I love LONG weekends (5 days for me).

Dont forget to put your clocks forward one hour before bed (or if you are still up, at 3am).